Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Rann call for Greek to be included on national curriculum.

Premier Mike Rann is calling on the Federal Government to ensure Greek language is included in the new Australian curriculum for schools. Mr Rann has written to Federal Education Minister Simon Crean setting out South Australia’s position on Greek language teaching in schools. “Australia is all the richer because of the influence of Greek language and culture,” Mr Rann said. “The State Government strongly believes that Greek should be included in the languages learning section of the Australian Curriculum. “South Australia has one of the nation’s largest Greek communities which has played a major role in shaping South Australia’s rich multicultural heritage. “Many educational opportunities for children have been shaped by our Greek communities and teachers at schools such as the Sturt Street Community School and our ethnic community schools. “I’m proud that we have a memorandum of understanding which involves the Greek Government funding the placement of Greek language teaching assistants in South Australian public schools.” Education Minister Jay Weatherill recently met members of the Greek community who are concerned that Greek may not be included in the national curriculum. “The new national curriculum is being developed by the Australian Curriculum Assessment and Reporting Authority,” Mr Weatherill said. “No decisions about which languages will be included in the national curriculum have yet been made. “However, we are advocating on behalf of Greek communities in South Australia to ensure their voices are heard at a national level. I have encouraged community members to continue speaking up for the inclusion of the Greek language.” In South Australia, schools make decisions about second language programs in consultation with school communities. Last year Greek was taught at 36 schools and more than 4,500 students were enrolled in the subject.
    I am astounded.
    Rann, you have a State to run. You have done a very poor job with little focus on matters of much more significance. Leave the Greeks alone. Should we be looking at any Greek businessmen who have gained unfair advantages from the Government of South Australia given your unhealthy fascination with the Greek communities of South Australia?

Focus on South Australia.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Makedonetz
      • Apr 2010

Budala!

I see Mr Rann has a infatuation with his Greeks counter parts. Makes you wondeer how much under the table bravado Mr Rann has done with in the past with greeks in Australia.
      Makedoncite se borat
      za svoite pravdini!

"The one who works for joining of Macedonia to Bulgaria,Greece or Serbia can consider himself as a good Bulgarian, Greek or Serb, but not a good Macedonian"
      - Goce Delchev

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

This guy is blatantly pro-Greek, how can the judges not see bias in him? Aren't state leaders supposed to be objective? Another disgrace to add to the long list.
        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Daniel the Great
          • Nov 2009

That is stupid, there is no need to add Greek to the curriculum. This is all just pro Greek bullshit. I would hate to be a Macedonian living in South Australia right now with a premier such as Rann.

Comment

• Makedonetz
            • Apr 2010

How long till elections and you guys can kick his ass out of office?
            Makedoncite se borat
            za svoite pravdini!

"The one who works for joining of Macedonia to Bulgaria,Greece or Serbia can consider himself as a good Bulgarian, Greek or Serb, but not a good Macedonian"
            - Goce Delchev

Comment

• Rogi
              • Sep 2008

He just won the election, narrowly, a couple of months ago.

Comment

• Makedonetz
                • Apr 2010

Rogi that stinks, i hope the Macedonian presence in Australia make his term a living nightmare with these actions he's taking.

keep fighting Bratko
                Makedoncite se borat
                za svoite pravdini!

- Goce Delchev

Comment

• Rogi
                  • Sep 2008

I guess with limited political capital and resources, we just need to pick our battles and be effective in the ones we take on.

Something like this, trying to bring Greek into the National Curriculum is not worth it.

He's doing this to get the Greeks that supported him, off his back by showing them in this symbolic move that their support is paying off.

But I think he, and most others, knows full well that trying to bring a language that is barely spoken by 10 million people worldwide into the National Curriculum has no chance of success.
                  Last edited by Rogi; 07-01-2010, 10:33 PM.

Comment

• Big Bad Sven
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Buktop View Post
                    What did you do to help this prosecution of Mr Rann? Look at yourself before you speak about others...
                    I did nothing, as i dont live in SA and i dont have any of the "connections" or "power" that the fellow from Adelaide was boasting about. Most importantly i didnt announce to the whole world that i was on some scared mission to stop Rann.

If he was a bit more humble and not a arrogant twat who was boasting on how "close" he was to getting Rann and alienating a lot of people who wanted to help, then i wouldnt have sinked the boots in. But because of all of his arrogance and boasting and chasing "glory", he has got nothing but egg on his face.

Comment

• julie
                      • May 2009

rann - haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, you are SO funny NOT
                      "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• julie
                        • May 2009

BBS, and that is exactly what has happened. Perzheni jaytsi.
                        "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• Bratot
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by julie View Post
                          BBS, and that is exactly what has happened. Perzheni jaytsi.

Anyway.. it's very disapointing of what kind of politiciant govern in SA.

I always had the immpression of Australia as a country that is very tolerant and fair to all communities without such racistic practice, it's a bad picture on AUS of how people like Rann get away and still able to continue with racism.
                          The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• julie
                            • May 2009

The Greek lobby is very strong in Australia, and we dont have the representation in parliament, nor the backing of either political party. Unfortunately the Macedonians in Australia have always erred on the side of conservative, and been traditional labor voters. Rann being the labor premier in SA and Rudd was the labor prime minister until our first female Julia Gillard has taken over. It will be interesting to see which way the wind will blow with her.

Too many South Australians in the last election that Rann only just won voted for the Greens, an environmental party, not understanding that all the prferential votes would go to labor, an d that is how Rann is back in. It was extremely close.

Comment

• sf.
                              • Jan 2010

Languages are part of Phase 2 in the development of the National Curriculum. The implementation of the Curriculum is overseen by the Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA). For languages, they will be assisted by a reference group, of whom as far as I know, there are no Greek members. A decision on which languages will be included has not yet been made, but will be subject to discussion at a national forum in August. I expect that they would be ranked in popularity of enrollment history.
                              Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful. - Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Comment

• MacoLionHeartSun
                                • Jun 2010

Rann is a puppet, He has a number? Of greek back benchers (May I say.. they are that far up his Arse playing him. He can’t make his on decisions; the community should vote him out incompetent and useless, serving no purpose to the real issues in society. What a waste of time & recourses the Rann government to pursue a curriculum with no benefit to the Australian populations quality of life by indorsing other compulsory languages to teach our kids, struggling to compete there NAP (National Assessment program of numeracy & literacy)
                                VOTE RANN OUT!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X