Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • I of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

It would be folly to accept a compromise name for Macedonia, with a geographic qualifier, if this was intended for wider international use, Macedonian President Georgi Ivanov says.

“Greece has no legal means to force Macedonia to do so”, Ivanov was quoted by daily Dnevnik as saying.

Macedonia backs the so-called dual name formula for resolving the naming row with neighbouring Greece, he said. This formula, which has been rejected by Athens, envisages the use of Skopje’s current official name, Republic of Macedonia, internationally, and of a mutually agreeable alternative appelation in bilateral relations with Greece.

Last year, Greece blocked Macedonia’s NATO entry over the dispute. Athens argues that Skopje’s official name implies that it is making territorial claims over its own northern province of Macedonia. Greece and Macedonia are engaged in long-standing UN sponsored talks to solve the dispute, which have yet to bear fruit.

“Last year Macedonia felt the burden of European states' hesitation,” Ivanov reportedly said in an address at the Konrad Adenauer Foundation. “We are used to expecting negativity from Greece, but we expected support from Europe and its absence was noticeable,” he said.

While Athens insists on a compound name for Macedonia, that would be used erga omnes ["in relation to everyone"], Skopje argues it cannot give up its current name, which has been recognised by over 120 states.

Macedonian media speculate that variations on the name Northern Macedonia have been floated as a possible compromise by UN mediator Matthew Nimetz. The talks are currently on hold, awaiting the outcome of the upcoming general election in Greece.....

Ivanov, who is in Germany at the invitation of President Horst Kohler, stressed that Macedonia must be careful not to make any last minute slip, in order to obtain a positive report from the European Commission, EC, on its reform progress in October, that includes a recommended starting date for EU accession talks.

According to Ivanov, Kohler expressed optimism that the report would be positive. The two presidents also tackled the name row.

Macedonia became an EU candidate state in 2005, but the EC has cited insufficient reform in its previous three annual reports in failing to approve the start of integration negotiations.

Greece has threatened to block Macedonia’s EU entry, pending a solution to the name row.

No need to sit in the shade, because we stand under our own sun

Comment

• Jankovska
      • Sep 2008

I wonder if he really means it or this is just another way to gain support the the oppressed poor people of Macedonia? If he really means it and it's willing to fight for it than wohoo, if he is doing it just to gain few points from the people that have started kicking after the goverment than shame on him and everyone else.

Comment

• torbeshboy
        • Sep 2009

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Comment

• George S.
          • Aug 2009

I don't usually support politicians But Ivanov scored 110% well responded!The greeks are getting paranoid that Alexander the Great belongs to them & no one else.Which is a typical answer from a brainwashed people.One of the silliest things macedonia can do is to capitulate to this greek bully.We should stand up to them & tell them to get a life.Macedonians exist & will allways exist regardless of what the bully says & thinks.
          "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Venom
            • Sep 2008

Wow, some (somewhat) tough words coming out of a Macedonian politician. They're getting there.
            S m r t - i l i - S l o b o d a

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
              • Sep 2008

They are very strong words that should be followed through with more action.
              In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Jankovska View Post
                if he is doing it just to gain few points from the people that have started kicking after the goverment than shame on him and everyone else.
                You know what, even if he is doing this for more points .... so what ... the response from the Macedonian public has already been overwhelmingly favourable. The politicians will soon understand that a nationalistic agenda will get votes ... just like in Greece.
                Risto the Great
                MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

This is a massive statement from the Macedonian president, and the backlash (should he decide to go back on his statement) would be extreme and severe. He will no longer be considered president except in title only, he will lose all respect and disappear into dust at the next elections. On the contrary, if he sticks to his words and shows himself to be a man of principle, which (at the moment) I believe he will, then he will be forever remembered as Macedonia's first staunch president.
                  In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by GeorgeS
                    The greeks are getting paranoid that Alexander the Great belongs to them & no one else.Which is a typical answer from a brainwashed people
                    These people who feel the need to make reference to a 2,300 year old figure for the purpose of justifying their occupation of Macedonian lands today are exactly that, brainwashed.

When such notions are supported by the whole state, what does that make the nation of new Hellenes? This has been a lost battle for the Greeks from day one, clearly it was the wrong can to open, they should have retained their attention towards Asia where most of their geographical 'Greek' Macedonians came from 85 years ago.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

Seriously, the Greeks have no choice in this matter.
                      They will rant and rave for as long as possible because they know the Macedonian wound is still raw. The MTO is committed to keeping it that way.
                      Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                        if he sticks to his words and shows himself to be a man of principle, which (at the moment) I believe he will, then he will be forever remembered as Macedonia's first staunch president.
                        And if that is all it takes to be a staunch president, I would have been Hitler by comparison!
                        Risto the Great

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

IF he sticks to his words......as alone words are not enough.

Comment

• Jankovska
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                            You know what, even if he is doing this for more points .... so what ... the response from the Macedonian public has already been overwhelmingly favourable. The politicians will soon understand that a nationalistic agenda will get votes ... just like in Greece.
                            everything has limits and so does nationalisam, in Macedonia at least. I think this is great what they are doing, but I don't see them showing much care and support for the people that elected them. They will gain massive support from the Diaspora but I think in a year they will loose around 40% of the support they have now. The goverment is pushing people very hard at the moment, they have the pressure from the international community and the only thing that VMRO has left is the nationalisam. Patriotisam is good, nationalisam is not when the poor Macedonian people will have to pay the price. I hope the guys has a plan, that's all.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                              • Sep 2008

What is the price for nationalism? (Which, by the way, I equate with patriotism anyway)
                              If we look at Bulgaria who is the cheap whore of the EU, it has not really prospered as a result of joining the EU. What has Macedonia got to lose?
                              Risto the Great

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                                • Sep 2008

What has Macedonia to gain by submitting? I mean, really gain, and not crumbs.

Free travel to the EU? Isn't this going to be granted anyway soon?

What else is there? There is nothing that could equate to national dignity.

Comment

Working...
                                X