X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Volk
    • Sep 2008

Well done, but am I missing something??

Since when are we still referred to as 'slav Macedonians'? this was occurring when I was in high school and as far as i know was overturned in the high or supreme court.... I have not heard the term from any Australian government of political party since...
    Makedonija vo Srce

Comment

• Rogi
      • Sep 2008

Most Macedonians are confused or unaware of the facts around this.

Macedonians in Australia have been exposed to three levels of institutionalised racism, the first two of which are still in force:

1. The manner in which those who originate from the Republic of Macedonia have their country of birth labelled, namely "FYROM" (former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia).

2. The implementation by the Federal Government in 1994 of an inaccurate and offensive nomenclature directive whereby the nationality of the Macedonian people has been renamed to that of "Slav Macedonian" (Ethnicity Directive).

3. The implementation by the State Government of Victoria of an equally inaccurate and similarly offensive nomenclature directive whereby the language of the Macedonian people was renamed to that of "Macedonian Slavonic" (Language Directive).

The Macedonian Community (Macedonian Teachers Association and AMHRC) raised a racial discrimination case against the State Government of Victoria, which went as far as the Supreme Court of Victoria, in regards to the Language directive (#3 above), and the Macedonian community won the case. This directive was found to be discriminatory and the court ordered it be removed, as it then was.

However, the 1994 Federal Government directive which renamed the nationality of the Macedonian people to "Slav Macedonian" is still in effect. This directive has not officially been removed and the term "Slav Macedonian" still remains, officially, as the term used to denote the nationality/ethnicity of the Macedonian people. Australia is the only country in the world to officially use this discriminatory term.

You may not have heard this term, but I can recall South Australian Premier Mike Rann using the term as late as last year (2008).
      Though that may be the most publicised use of the term, there have been a number of uses of that term from Federal Government institutions.

The term has not been abandoned, it is the official term as per the existing Government directive, its use may be limited however, because of the backlash from the Macedonian community - nonetheless, it is unacceptable that the Australian Government has an official policy that is discriminatory to the Macedonian community in Australia and is against the Government's very own policies on multiculturalism.

This has no bearing on relations between Australia and Macedonia, this is purely an issue between the Australian Government and Australian citizens of Macedonian heritage and their right to self-determination.

I should note also that with the Federal Government's ethnicity directive, other than the ethnic Macedonians from the Republic of Macedonia being denoted as "Slav Macedonians", the ethnic Macedonians from other parts of Macedonia (such as Aegean Macedonia) had their ethnicity officially labelled as "associates of Slav Macedonians". Imagine that.
      Last edited by Rogi; 09-09-2009, 07:55 AM.

Comment

• Risto the Great
        • Sep 2008

Hey, I am an "associate of Slav Macedonians" ... fuck me, I thought you could not get worse than "Slav Macedonian".

Gareth Evans was instrumental in trying to diminish our identity in Australia.

Thanks Gareth, put your head back between Cheryl's legs and leave Macedonian policy for the Macedonians.

He was still up to mischief in one way or another for Macedonians via the International Crisis Group and probably still via his new junket "Collegium International" .

Anyway, this meeting was with the Aust Macedonian human rights org and the UMD? Will any one of these organisations disclose the 12 points? I would think it not worth declaring the quantum of points disclosed unless they were communicable.
        Risto the Great
        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Rogi
          • Sep 2008

Doing so would mean plans are made public and we would then face opposition in each step, or at least lose that head start we have.

They are not things that are unknown, nor things other communites have not done to a degree, but announcing exactly where our efforts will be focused may only serve to undermine the effort.

It is important that the Government of Australia is aware of the plan. Privately, I would be happy to share them with trusted Macedonians such as yourself.

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

1. We Macedonians demand the opportunity to steal Greek goats ... even if they are already betrothed to Greek men.
            2. We demand that consentual sex between man and goat remains ... but only in Greek communities exceeding Badinter majority.
            3. .... ahh don't bother
            |
            |
            V
            12 ... more about goats/sheep etc.

OK Rogi, I understand how some of these things have the ability to undermine. But if it is described as a "12 point plan" rather than "a number of issues" .... it begs the question in relation to the points.
            Risto the Great

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great
              1. We Macedonians demand the opportunity to steal Greek goats ... even if they are already betrothed to Greek men.
              2. We demand that consentual sex between man and goat remains ... but only in Greek communities exceeding Badinter majority.
              3. .... ahh don't bother
              |
              |
              V
              12 ... more about goats/sheep etc.
              Hmm, the way of the goat....sounds like something the kafana banana at maknews would write, lol.
              In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Pelister
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                Hey, I am an "associate of Slav Macedonians" ... fuck me, I thought you could not get worse than "Slav Macedonian".

Gareth Evans was instrumental in trying to diminish our identity in Australia.

Thanks Gareth, put your head back between Cheryl's legs and leave Macedonian policy for the Macedonians.

He was still up to mischief in one way or another for Macedonians via the International Crisis Group and probably still via his new junket "Collegium International" .

Anyway, this meeting was with the Aust Macedonian human rights org and the UMD? Will any one of these organisations disclose the 12 points? I would think it not worth declaring the quantum of points disclosed unless they were communicable.
                If UMD had any say in it you can be absolutely sure that 1 point in the 12 point plan involves:

1. Negotiating our national identity.

Given UMD's politics I am certain this would be one of the points.

Comment

• Rogi
                  • Sep 2008

I wish someone would delete your last post, because it is really just stupid.

For the record though, this is UMD in Australia we're talking about.

The policy of UMD worldwide is that of "no negotiation" and "no name change" (though you do not want to accept this position).

If you're talking about UMD Australia however, then our position here is very clear and we are more than happy to tell it straight, no tip-toeing around anything, no beating around the bush, no piss-farting around.

No negotiation.
                  No name change.
                  No Ohrid Agreement.
                  Respect for the Rights of the Macedonians in Greece, Bulgaria, Albania and Serbia.
                  No "Slav" prefix, suffix, or use whatsoever.

Needless to say, UMD did have a say in the 12-point-proposal, which was accepted by all (UMD, AMHRC and the newly formed MNC) and what you suggested is not one of the points in the 12-point-plan and I begin to question your motive for your posts.

I can understand that you hate "UMD" and have problems with some of my colleagues in Washington, but don't even try and bring that to UMD Australia, because our positions are clear and absolute here, and I wont keep my mouth shut either.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                    • Sep 2008

Excellent Rogi, I am positive the Australian perspective is as you say and I know the Macedonians in Australia expect nothing less.
                    Risto the Great

Comment

• Rogi
                      • Sep 2008

Risto, it is more along the lines of establishing increased and strengthened bilateral relations between Australia and Macedonia. A Roadmap for Advancing Australia-Macedonian Bi-Lateral Relations.

So some of the things raised would be (say in the sphere of education, and sponsorships for student exchanges and scholarships), so it's varied across the various fields of cultural, economic, educational and diplomatic ties.

Needless to say, recognition of the Constitutional name of the Republic of Macedonia, and the model for that, is one of the main points.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

No doubt Rogi.
                        BTW I did read a little more about "Collegium International" and find them quite a stimulating organisation. I wonder how they can have a racist like Evans involved with them.
                        Risto the Great

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Who would have known that such racist terms are in official use, in my whole life during schooling, working, government matters, etc, it has always been Macedonian only.

There was one time I saw a poster at some ragged old hospital with Macedonian (Slavonic) which was I assume is from the days of that bigot racist Jeff Kennett, but that is it. At federal or state run organisations, such as the police stations, centrelink, etc it only says Macedonian.
                          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Pelister
                            • Sep 2008

Why would UMD Australia, be any different from headquarters in Washington?

I know that UMD in Washington have issued a statement saying "no name change", but in A. Mitreski's last letter to me (which I posted here), he stated that UMD agree with Nimetz that negotiations are the only way to membership.

It is misguided of UMD to put so much value in "membership" and to support the negotiations as the only option in that regard.

UMD have never said "No negotiations" ! As I said the letter written by A. Mitreski backs the negotiations as the only legitimate way to membership. Now most Macedonians want the negotiations to end, but UMD believes its the only way "foward".

It is the ongoing contradictions of UMD's position/statements in public and private - which makes it a very dodgy organization, especially if we consider it was ALL FOR A NAME CHANGE less than a year ago. The SAME PEOPLE are still there.

Comment

• Rogi
                              • Sep 2008

Pelister, your post is unrelated to the topic and rather tiresome.
                              Can you please delete your post and start a new thread bashing UMD, if that is your desire?

Perhaps you could offer something constructive.

Mind you, ask any one of the 5 of us involved on UMD Australia's Board and you'll hear exactly the same as I wrote above. You are valuing a letter from Alexander Mitreski, more than what I am writing here?

If you're talking about UMD in Australia, my words are more of the "horse's mouth" that you should be referring to.

Comment

• ZAS
                                • May 2009

Originally posted by Rogi View Post
                                Pelister, your post is unrelated to the topic and rather tiresome.
                                Can you please delete your post and start a new thread bashing UMD, if that is your desire?

Perhaps you could offer something constructive.

Mind you, ask any one of the 5 of us involved on UMD Australia's Board and you'll hear exactly the same as I wrote above. You are valuing a letter from Alexander Mitreski, more than what I am writing here?

If you're talking about UMD in Australia, my words are more of the "horse's mouth" that you should be referring to.
                                In that case ROGI your organization here must DENOUCE the charter of your Washington Head and possibly break away and be INDEPENDENT.
                                How can you have different chapters of the UMD not agreeing with the head.
                                It sound's like the CHURCH dispute.

Comment

Working...
                                X