Macedonian Human Rights Movement International (MHRMI)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Pelister View Post
    I don't think the Macedonians there will ever give up. We are lucky to have them and we are lucky to have AMHRC and MHRI working with the Macedonians in Bulgarian occupied Macedonia. Grotius, I wanted to ask you was there any reason why you chose that name in particular?
    Hugo Grotius (10 April 1583 – 28 August 1645), also known as Huig de Groot, Hugo Grocio or Hugo de Groot, was a jurist in the Dutch Republic. With Francisco de Vitoria and Alberico Gentili he laid the foundations for international law, based on natural law. He was also a philosopher, theologian, Christian apologist, playwright, and poet.
    Grotius's influence on international law is paramount, and is acknowledged by, for instance, the American Society of International Law, which since 1999 holds an annual series of Grotius Lectures.

... I will assume it is not because he is grotty.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Pelister
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
      ... I will assume it is not because he is grotty.
      I knew that name sounded familiar. I while ago I was looking at the legal aspects of the seizure of Macedonian territory in 1912 and 1913 and came across Grotius. He is one of many who argue that the seizure of territory by force, is unlawful, in interntaional law.

Comment

• Grotius
        • Dec 2009

when registering, (and not really being tech savvy or familiar with internet forums) I found myself having to think of a name quickly, so deferred by instinct to Hugo - based on what RtG has partially posted above and having read his works (albeit some time ago).

Comment

• AMHRC
          De-registered
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
          It is always great to see the Macedonians in Pirin and Bulgaria assert their right to self-determination given the racist policies in place which deny their existence. The continued support they receive from long-standing groups like AMHRC and MHRMI should come as no suprise, like usual, they are always there to carry the torch of the Macedonian struggle for human rights. But with regard to Gay McDougall, although exposure is always good, what positives were achieved after a similar mission was carried out in the Macedonian part of Greece? How effective was it?
          SoM,

The affect in terms of immediate impact, was not what it should have been...the international community did not impose sanctions etc. against the offending state. Though in terms of educating some responsible authorities, media outlets and even politicians in Australia, these reports can be and have been quite useful...so in terms of helping to undermine the heavy propaganda spending sprees of states like Greece and Bulgaria, by being able to refer to an impartial and reputable source, we are indeed able to make constructive use of these reports...do they deliver what we really want in an immediate practical sense? As you imply, the answer is definitely no, but they are still a valuable part of the struggle for the rights of Macedonians.

Comment

• Grotius
            • Dec 2009

Grotius, do we know how influental McDougall's recommendations were after the visit to Greece? Did they have any sort of impact?
            Som, sorry, I must be going blind, somehow I missed your question earlier.

In the first instance, I would certainly defer to the AMHRCs answer to this , but may perhaps add that the McDougall report is yet another record of the Grks racist behavior towards Macedonians that cannot be removed. And it is from the pre-eminent UN authority on minority rights issues.

Of course, I agree with the premise of your question, there is no immediate practical impact (aside maybe from some moral impact) stemming from the report on the ground that I can see (happy for others to say otherwise), but the report's benefits may, hopefully, alongside the accumulation of other similar independent reports, have some benefits and impact in the near future. Frustratingly for me as much as for anybody else, any impact seems to be very slow in coming.

As the AMHRC stated, it adds to the ammunition for our human rights activists, and indeed for anybody else to use. By this I not only mean fellow Macedonians but any interested independent academics, NGOs etc...

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Grotius
              Frustratingly for me as much as for anybody else, any impact seems to be very slow in coming.
              It's unfortunate that some cases resting with the UN must wait for favourable circumstances in spite of obvious concerns over human rights.
              Originally posted by AMHRC View Post
              ..........by being able to refer to an impartial and reputable source, we are indeed able to make constructive use of these reports...do they deliver what we really want in an immediate practical sense? As you imply, the answer is definitely no, but they are still a valuable part of the struggle for the rights of Macedonians.
              The report is a useful source thus I support the Macedonians in Pirin and their meeting with the UN Independent Expert, but if the UN fails to act on the report then it doesn't serve its real purpose, which is unfortunate, because they are effectively turning a blind eye to the injustices taking place. So why does the UN bother to send them in the first place?
              In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

So why does the UN bother to send them in the first place?
                In a perfect world, the UN will not identify a problem. In a less perfect world, they will identify it and then ignore or downplay it.
                Risto the Great

Comment

• MHRMI
                  • Dec 2009

MHRMI and AMHRC Denounce Clinton’s Demands that Macedonia “Solve” the Name Dispute

MHRMI and AMHRC Denounce Clinton’s Demands that Macedonia “Solve” the Name Dispute

Toronto and Melbourne (July 19, 2011) - Macedonian Human Rights Movement International (MHRMI) and the Australian Macedonian Human Rights Committee (AMHRC) denounce US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s statement that, “The government in Skopje needs to know that it will not be able to move forward on its European integration until it does resolve this (issue). And, obviously, Greece has to be willing to accept how the name is resolved.”

In other words Clinton has told a sovereign nation – Macedonia - that it must surrender the most basic right possessed by any state – the right to self-identification; if it wants to become a part of Europe. The US, ‘leader of the free world’, as on other occasions in relation to Macedonia, has shown itself to be unequal to the task of upholding the most basic tenants of liberty and indeed international law.

The United States recognized Macedonia in 2004, yet it calls for a name change. The hypocrisy is astounding.

Considering the apparent inability of the EU to manage its economic affairs properly, MHRMI and AMHRC are not at all convinced that Macedonia’s membership in such an institution is in its best interests. However, the point is that we cannot abide by declarations which amount to the blackmail of ‘forgo your rights and change your name or else’. We have written to the State Department demanding an explanation and immediate US condemnation of the name negotiations.

MHRMI and AMHRC began an advertising campaign in Macedonia over a year ago, advocating an end to the farcical and racist name “negotiations” between Macedonia and Greece. For anyone interested in joining the Our Name is Macedonia campaign, please use the following link: http://www.mhrmi.org/our_name_is_macedonia

Macedonian Human Rights Movement International (MHRMI) has been active on human and national rights issues for Macedonians and other oppressed peoples since 1986. For more information: http://www.mhrmi.org, twitter.com/mhrmi, facebook, [email protected], 416-850-7125.

Established in 1984 the Australian Macedonian Human Rights Committee (AMHRC) is a non governmental organisation that advocates before governments, international institutions and broader communities about combating discrimination and promoting basic human rights. Our aspiration is to ensure that Macedonian communities and other excluded groups throughout the world are recognised, respected and afforded equitable treatment. For more information please visit http://www.macedonianhr.org.au, or contact AMHRC by email [email protected] or via +61 3 93298960.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                    • Sep 2008

Thank you.

It was a demeaning statement from the USA and the Macedonian government is welcoming this kind of "warning" from foreign nations when it continues to play games in negotiating the Macedonian identity.
                    Risto the Great

Comment

• makedonche
                      • Oct 2008

MHRMI
                      Well done and well worded statement! Please send a copy to UMD and ask them to repeat it without modifying it or watering it down to suit their needs!
                      On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Pelister
                        • Sep 2008

This declaration couldn't be more timely. Its message is clear, and we ask for nothing less than a principled defence of our rights.

What I find disappointing, is that you will never hear anything like this from UMD because they are too busy building bridges on a foundation of lies. The overriding interests directing their whole approach is how can we be two faced, and do it so well that no one will ever notice, Oh!, and "lets take the Macedonian people for a ride and get as much politicial mileage out of it as we can". UMD has been praising the E.U since it was founded. Ever wondered why? The Macedonian people don't need fancy bullshit right now. We need good, honest, principled, sobre and realistic individuals. We need guys like A.Mitreski to wake up, and realise that the negotiations are Macedonian made, that we are not blocked from the U.N, and we need guys like this working to make sure we pursue our rights at the U.N. This idea that what is happening now is "necessary" is completely ignorant, of the deadly situation facing our political existence right now.
                        Last edited by Pelister; 07-20-2011, 11:37 PM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

Good statement MHRMI/AMHRC, well said.
                          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                            • Sep 2008

My full support to AMHRC/MHRMI for this statement.
                            If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• George S.
                              • Aug 2009

Solve the name problem it was never a problem for macedonia it's a problem for greece.
                              This is proof that the us is a two faced when itcomes into dealings with countries problems.How can someone tell a sovereign country to compromise it's name.We as macedonians identify as macedonians & will never negotiate with nazis to adopt another name.We were allready pushed to adopt a temporary name fyrom.How much di we have to lower our selves for greece.I say we should stand up to them & say we are macedonians.
                              "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Phoenix
                                • Dec 2008

Great response!

Well done to everyone at MHRMI and AMHRC.

Comment

Working...
                                X