• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Big Bad Sven
    • Jan 2009

Gorani in Kosovo, Albania Offered Bulgarian Citizenship

Gorani in Kosovo, Albania Offered Bulgarian Citizenship

Bulgaria is intensifying efforts to provide citizenship, scholarships and other benefits to the poverty-stricken Gorani community in Kosovo and Albania, but critics say the country is misusing its EU member state status to advance long-standing assimilatory policies of other ethnicities.

The Gorani, most of whom are Muslim and identify as Macedonians, live in 18 villages in the region of Gora as well as in the adjacent Zhupa and Prespa regions in the Albania-Macedonia-Kosovo border area.

"They [Bulgarian representatives] usually come every few months. They are expected to arrive in Gora next at the beginning of May," Avnija Rahte, president of the Macedonian-Gorani Association, said.

Rahte explained the Bulgarians, accompanied by a lawyer, try to persuade the Gorani of the benefits of Bulgarian citizenship, including potential employment in EU countries as well as free schooling in Sofia and Plovdiv.

All the Gorani need to do is sign documents declaring they have Bulgarian origins and are Bulgarian, he said.

The Bulgarian Constitution provides the option for individuals to acquire Bulgarian citizenship through a "facilitated procedure," established in the country's citizenship act.

The Agency for Bulgarians Abroad, which organises the visits, has featured a 2010 strategic document on its website explaining that the policy aims to unite all Bulgarians in the region and raise the nation's plummeting birth rate.

Over 16,000 Macedonians obtained Bulgarian citizenship last year, along with nearly 2,000 Ukrainians and 1,000 Serbs, but only six Kosovo citizens, according to Agency data.

"Nearly 1,500 inhabitants of Gora, Zhupa and Prespa have obtained Bulgarian citizenship," Gezim Kurti, head of the association Bulgarians in Albania, told SETimes.

Bulgarian scholar Antoinette Primatarova suggested in an article earlier this year that Prime Minister Boyko Borissov is eager to breathe new life into Bismarck's saying the Bulgarians are "Prussians of the Balkans."

"[The phrase does not] imply Borissov is claiming a special role for Bulgaria in the Balkans," Primatarova told SETimes, but it is a joke related to the Bulgarian position within the EU.

But not everyone agrees. Bulgaria is taking advantage of being an EU member to continue its 19th-century assimilation policy against Macedonians and others, according to Todor Petrov, president of the World Macedonian Congress.

Petrov explained the Gorani have traditionally been targets, being turned into Serbs, Bulgarians and Greeks, if Christian, or into Albanians, Turks or Bosniaks, if Muslim.

"This time Bulgaria is using 'passport politics' in addition to the time-tested material benefits aimed at some of the poorest Balkan people," Petrov told SETimes.

Kosovo experts said a Bulgarian community did not exist until very recently, when a few Gorani started accepting Bulgarian citizenship.

"There is no Bulgarian minority in Kosovo," Adrian Zeqiri, director of Kosovo's principal NGO dealing with minority issues ECMI Kosovo, told SETimes.

Neither Kosovo's constitution, its law on communities, nor Albania recognises a Bulgarian minority.

Yet, the Bulgarian policy has renewed the debate about the Gorani's origins and identity.

"[They have] an identity crisis due to history and political circumstances," Fitim Spahiu of the Centre for Research and Social Studies in Dragash in the Gora region in Kosovo, told SETimes.

Some Gorani vehemently disagree with the characterisation.

"Gora is populated exclusively with Macedonians who live mostly in the Kosovo-Macedonia border area. In Gora and Zhupa there are 30,000 Macedonians," Ismail Bojda, one of the leaders of the Democratic Party of Macedonians, headquartered in Gora, told SETimes.

The Gorani representatives sent an official request last November to the Kosovo government to be mentioned in the constitution as a Macedonian minority; they said they expect a positive answer.

Macedonia provided 15,000 citizenships to members of the Kosovo Gorani community last year, as well as to 6,000 others to Gorani who now live in Macedonia.

In addition, two Macedonians from Gora will now be in the consultative council for minorities, currently being formed in Pristina. Montenegrins, Roma, Egyptians, Vlachs and Croats will also participate in the work of the council.

SETimes correspondent Svetla Dimitrova in Sofia contributed to this report.

Comment

• Big Bad Sven
      • Jan 2009

It would be a shame if macedonians from kosovo and albania are lost to the corrupt bulgarian swines, hopefully macedonia does enough before it looses them. But it must act swift, bulgarian passports are very tempting....

Comment

• ProMKD
        • Oct 2011

This has been an ongoing issue and Macedonia does nothing to encourage it's people in neighbouring countries to apply for Macedonian citizenship. It does nothing to deter bulgarian corruption and propaganda. The people of these regions should also voice their own opinion more loudly in regards to this BS by bulgaria.
        www.everythingmacedonia.com
        Support tourism to Macedonia!

Comment

• Zarni
          Banned
          • May 2011

Yes an ongoing tactic by Sofia, Gorani identify themselves as Macedonian

Comment

• Brian
            Banned
            • Oct 2011

A joint Albanian/Kosovo and Bulgarian production

- for the Gorani
            why live hard in the village in Gorani with all those Albanians discriminating against you when you can become a Bulgar and go to the West to work and become prosperous

- for the Albanians/Kosovo
            Yeah, go to the West and become prosperous (?) so long as you leave the land which we can one day take and have a homogeneous population to cement our claim to the land.

- for the Bulgarians
            Maybe you might want to live in Bulgaria (we need the numbers), and at least we can reduce the number of people claiming to be Macedonians and show that 'Bulgarians' live all over Macedonian lands making a mockery of Macedonian/RoM claims.

And strangely noone (?) considers it a provocation.

Ahhh...our neighbours love to hate us.

Comment

• Zarni
              Banned
              • May 2011

Well said Brain how can we sum up the Macedonian position on the Gorani

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                • Sep 2008

The Macedonian government's position on the Gorani (like with the rest of our brethren in the occupied parts) can be summed up with one word: negligence.
                In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by ProMKD View Post
                  This has been an ongoing issue and Macedonia does nothing to encourage it's people in neighbouring countries to apply for Macedonian citizenship..
                  What can Macedonia offer that will be of interest to these people? The way it is presently, Macedonia can offer them a country that is so desperate to please the world powers that it may as well be a Kosovo clone. In fact, it is worse than Kosovo because it will go down without even a whimper.

They will become "Bulgarians" because there is some advantage to it. Plain and simple. Macedonians have done it before and will continue to do it for reasons that are obvious to most.
                  Risto the Great
                  MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                  "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• George S.
                    • Aug 2009

It's driven purely by desperation when there is so much corruption,unemployment,& just poverty people will do anything to stay alive.It looks like people will take up other countrie's
                    citizenship if it means imroving their lot in life.
                    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

Gorani from Kosovo to obtain Macedonian citizenship faster

Skopje. Macedonia has accelerated the procedure for issuance of Macedonian citizenship to Gorani people from Kosovo, writes Macedonian Dnevnik daily.

According to the newspaper, the procedure was speeded up after it was announced that Macedonia was giving citizenship to the Kosovo’s Gorani people.

According to Ismail Bojda, President of the Union of Macedonians of Islamic Religion, the problem is that they cannot get a Macedonian citizenship on the ground of their origin.

The Macedonian Interior Ministry said that so far it has received around 200 applications for citizenship.
                      My goodness, this may well be a good news story.
                      Risto the Great

Comment

• lavce pelagonski
                        • Nov 2009

Good to hear.
                        Стравот на Атина од овој Македонец одел до таму што го нарекле „Страшниот Чакаларов“ „гркоубиец“ и „крвожеден комитаџија“.

„Ако знам дека тука тече една капка грчка крв, јас сега би ја отсекол целата рака и би ја фрлил в море.“ Васил Чакаларов

Comment

• Onur
                          • Apr 2010

So, muslim Macedonians in Turkey and Kosovo wants to get Macedonian passports and says that they are not Serbs nor Bulgars but at the same time, christian Macedonians are rushing to get Bulgarian passports if they are not Serbophils already. Also these same christian Macedonians blames muslim ones by being a turko or shqip lovers and traitors?

What an interesting country you have !!!
                          Last edited by Onur; 04-23-2012, 08:09 PM.

Comment

• Vangelovski
                            • Sep 2008

According to this article, up to 21,000 Macedonians from Gora in Kosovo have been given citizenship:

http://setimes.com/cocoon/setimes/xh.../16/feature-04
                            If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Vangelovski
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Onur View Post
                              So, muslim Macedonians in Turkey and Kosovo wants to get Macedonian passports and says that they are not Serbs nor Bulgars but at the same time, christian Macedonians are rushing to get Bulgarian passports if they are not Serbophils already. Also these same christian Macedonians blames muslim ones by being a turko or shqip lovers and traitors?

What an interesting country you have !!!
                              Onur, are you saying that the very individuals (minority) who have taken out Bulgarian citizenship are the ones calling Macedonians muslims traitors? Can you give us an example of a Macedonian who has taken out Bulgarian citizenship and refers to a Macedonian muslim as a traitor?
                              If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Risto the Great
                                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Onur View Post
                                christian Macedonians are rushing to get Bulgarian passports if they are not Serbophils already.
                                I would not conclude that Macedonians who are seeking Bulgarian citizenship are the only ones who are not Serbophils. I think that matter is mutually exclusive from this issue. Do you know of anything that supports your perspective Onur?

I am sure some Serbophils have already become "Bulgarians" for the purposes of perceived economic gains.
                                Risto the Great

Comment

Working...
                                X