X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daskalot
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Truth Bearer View Post
    That is incorrect Daskalot there is no such written language called "Romeika"......
    So you are telling me that Constantin th Purple called his language not ROMEIKA(ROMAN) but something else.......
    Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• leonidas
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Daskalot View Post
      The language was NOT CALLED GREEK, THEY THEMSELVES CALLED IT ROMEIKA(ROMAN), so please do not use a modern term and try to transfer it into th past to claim the past in that way.
      What kind of language was the "Romeika" ? Greek or Latin or something else (define it) ?

Comment

• Daskalot
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by leonidas View Post
        What kind of language was the "Romeika" ? Greek or Latin or something else (define it) ?
        a form of what we today call MODERN GREEK and with its correct name NEOELLENIKA.
        Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Makedonia
          Banned
          • Sep 2008

It was an old form of the Greek language.

Comment

• leonidas
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Daskalot View Post
            a form of what we today call MODERN GREEK and with its correct name NEOELLENIKA.
            So the language that spoken was Greek and as also the linguistics said "Byzantine Greek". Am I right ?

Comment

• Truth Bearer
              Banned
              • Sep 2008

Daskalot no offence but yr over yr head here mate...Romeika isn't a language.

Comment

• Truth Bearer
                Banned
                • Sep 2008

Ok lets see what we find here...

Byzantine Greek language also known as Medieval Greek

Since as early as the Hellenistic era, Greek had been the lingua franca of the Eastern Mediterranean, spoken natively in the southern Balkans, the Greek islands, Asia Minor and the ancient and Hellenistic Greek colonies of Western Asia and Northern Africa. This continued after Roman expansion in the region. Latin was also introduced by Roman administration but nearly all significant literature was written in Greek. After the reforms of Constantine the Great the ancient Greek city of Byzantium became Constantinople and the "Greek East" gradually evolved into a separate political and cultural entity, having Greek as its main language, while Latin was used as an official language of administration. However Latin had never been a spoken language in the East, and it was gradually displaced by Greek in all sectors. The evolution from the Eastern Roman into the Byzantine Empire, properly speaking, starts with the reign of Heraclius, when Greek replaced Latin completely in law and administration. At the same time the Empire lost most of its non-Greek speaking territories in the near East and Africa, along with its second largest city, Alexandria.

The main vernacular language of the Eastern or Byzantine Empire had been Medieval Greek, spoken natively in Constantinople and the largest part of the empire. Spoken Medieval Greek was an evolution of Koine Greek, which was the popular language of the Hellenistic world, and an intermediary stage between ancient and Modern Greek. Written Greek varied considerably, embracing an archaising "high" style which imitated classical Attic, and a moderate "middle" style continuing the tradition of written Koine. Relatively few written specimens of the spoken or "low" variety of the vernacular language have been preserved. The resulting diglossia of the Greek-speaking world (which had already started in ancient Greece) continued under Ottoman rule and persisted in the modern Greek state until 1976 - although Atticist Greek remains the official language of the Greek Orthodox Church. As shown in the poems of Ptochoprodromos, an early stage of Modern Greek had already been shaped by the 12th century AD and possibly earlier. Vernacular Greek continued to be known as "Romaic" up until the 20th century.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                  • Sep 2008

popular language of the Hellenistic world
                  Thanks for that. If I was Greek I would read "They all was Grik" ... if I was human, I would say "Oh, much like English today, there was a language which many people knew but clearly gave no identification of ethnicity".
                  Vernacular Greek continued to be known as "Romaic" up until the 20th century
                  I suppose you will apologise to Daskalot now.
                  Risto the Great
                  MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                  "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Truth Bearer
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2008

RTG yr letting me down here mate read the proper sentence it say's VERNACULAR which means ORAL language never in writen form.......

Comment

• Truth Bearer
                      Banned
                      • Sep 2008

Something like yr language before 1944........You opnly spoke it orally never in a written format.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                        • Sep 2008

Misirkov disagrees.
                        And since you finally codified your language in 1976 ... we are streets ahead.

You said:
                        Daskalot no offence but yr over yr head here mate...Romeika isn't a language.
                        Then did a cut and paste job saying it was a language until the 20th century.
                        If you are going to remain stupid, I will have to delete you. Because we are looking for intelligent debate. Is that ok with you?
                        Risto the Great

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

Yes, right about now an apology would be required for spewing up his 100th lie of the day. Read what you quote next time TB, here you are saying "Romeika isn't a language" and then you post an article which says "Vernacular Greek continued to be known as "Romaic" up until the 20th century" -- Before that, it was also known as Romeika, vernacular and oral, don't push some fairytale that can see no light at the end of the tunnel. Danial of Moschopolis in his four-language dictionary in the late18th/early 19th century called the language Romeika - TB, stop manipulating and lying, soon we will grow tired of telling you to do act in line with your namesake and you will disappear back into maggotsphere in cyberspace.

So are you still going to show me the "ethnic Greek" evidence of Heraclius? Or have we now jumped to the next water leaf and pretending that earlier dialogue didn't take place? If the language was changed to Greek because everybody was a Greek, then why not the name of the empire and the people also? Why do they continually refer to themselves as ROMANS? Why are you behaving like a deluded bird-brain that feels the need to go in circles when you cannot provide any decent answer?

In his DAI Constantine Pyrphyrogentius speaks of some Greeks (Graikoi) in the Peloponnese who are neighbours of the Slavic peoples in the same region, but he, of the Macedonian Dynasty, called himself a ROMAN, not a Greek. Greek was the langage of education and the official tongue of East Rome at this time, that is why he employed the language.

When you say conducted himself in a 'Greek manner', what does this mean apart from the typical vague garbage that you have been dumping on these boards all day long?
                          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Truth Bearer
                            Banned
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                            Misirkov disagrees.
                            And since you finally codified your language in 1976 ... we are streets ahead.

You said:

Then did a cut and paste job saying it was a language until the 20th century.
                            If you are going to remain stupid, I will have to delete you. Because we are looking for intelligent debate. Is that ok with you?
                            What are you talking about RTG??We had 2 languages the Katharevousa and the Demotic.The Demotic language eventually won out.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Truth Bearer View Post
                              Something like yr language before 1944........You opnly spoke it orally never in a written format.
                              Wrong. As usual.

Risto, if this person is manipulating and changing his own posts to suit the flavour of his commentry of the moment, do what you have to do. So far he has done nothing but filled the place up with his lies, half-truths and manipulated information that is conjured up by the Neohellenic moron brigade at maggotsontheweb.
                              In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                                • Sep 2008

Right.
                                Apparently you cannot read.
                                Risto the Great

Comment

Working...
                                X