Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The LION will ROAR
    • Jan 2009

FULL SPEECH AT PARLIAMENT HOUSE BY MR LUKE SIMKINS (MACEDONIA)

ADJOURNMENT
    Cowan Electorate
    Speech
    Mr SIMPKINS (Cowan)(9.50 p.m.)—Good evening or good day, perhaps, and ‘dobro den’ in the Macedonian language. Tonight I rise to speak of the main interest of the people of Macedonian heritage who live in my electorate of Cowan. This is even more important because of my role as the deputy chair of the Australia-Macedonia parliamentary friendship group. Of course, this group is not called quite that. I believe it is officially called the Australia-Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia parliamentary friendship group. Those who originally come from the Republic of Macedonia, while they consider themselves Macedonians, in this country are officially referred to as Slav Macedonians. I can assure you that Macedonians have a great deal of trouble accepting ‘FYROM’ and ‘Slav Macedonians’ as descriptors of their homelands and themselves. In my involvement with the Macedonian community in Cowan and in the northern suburbs of Perth they regard these terms as offensive and insulting.

Being born in Australia, with several generations between me and family links to England and Ireland, I cannot truly appreciate their feelings on these points. Perhaps I can spend a short time bringing these terms that apply to Macedonians into something the rest of us can truly appreciate. To begin, I and no doubt everyone else in this place takes great pride in being Australian, as do my Macedonian friends. This is the Commonwealth of Australia and we can also take pride in that name. Australia is not called the ‘Former British Colony of Australia’ or the ‘Former British Colonies Constituting the Federation of Australia’. Why is this so? It is because the founding fathers of this nation enshrined the name Australia and the Commonwealth of Australia as the name of our country. As was their right, Australians made that decision—no-one else.

We stand up for our right to make this most fundamental of decisions, and we expect the rest of the world to call this country Australia. I know that I would be insulted and outraged if we were called the ‘Former British Colony of Australia’ or the ‘Former British Colonies Constituting the Federation of Australia’. Perhaps then we can begin to understand that somehow the use of FYROM is insulting and that Macedonians have a very big problem with it. But I will come back to that before the end of my speech.

The other point I wish to raise on this occasion is the description of Australians who originated, or whose family originated, in Macedonia. Australia officially refers to those who come from the territory of the Republic of Macedonia as Slav Macedonians. I struggle to think of another ethnic group in Australia where we define them by race. I know that no one officially calls me an Anglo-Saxon Australian or an Australian of Anglo-Saxon British heritage. In a recent gathering of Macedonians in my office, I was speaking to Mr Slobodan Binevski, an artist and historian, who not only reiterated the point about the insulting term Slav Macedonian but also made it clear to me that Macedonians are not Slavic but are literally Macedonians and are descendants of the same race and people that have been resident in that area of the Balkan peninsula for more than 2,500 years. I will make Slobodan’s point here—that while there were city states further south of Macedonia, it was in fact a nation of size and significance some 300 to 400 years before Christ. Yet we know that Alexander the Great was Macedonian and that he was from this part of the Balkans. The point I make is that they are the descendants of ancient Macedonians and they are not just descendants of later movements of Slavic people through the Balkans. Therefore not only is a racial descriptor of them insulting on racist grounds, it is not even an accurate racial description.

So, in these points I have made today, it is important that we as Australians of many heritages consider this issue and how we would feel if the same terminology and race description was used on us all. I know that I would not like it at all. I know that I would be insulted and outraged, and that is indeed their feeling on the matter. These are the points of view of well-regarded members of the Perth Macedonian community: Mr Zoran Coseski, the honorary consul; Mr Robert Miloseski, president of the Macedonian Business Association; Mr Vic Radas, the former president of the community and Mr Jim Bivoltsis, current president of the community. The time has come for Australia to show respect to the Macedonians in this country and to the Republic of Macedonia. I myself call upon the government to follow the lead of other countries in bilateral relations and refer to Macedonia as the Republic of Macedonia. I also call upon the government to take steps to remove all official references in the future to Slav Macedonians and simply call them Macedonians, as they wish to be called.

Comment

• Bij
      • Oct 2009

what about this?

http://www.aph.gov.au/house/members/member.asp?id=83T

Title: Prime Minister.

Party: Australian Labor Party

Parliament House Contact
      PO Box 6022
      House of Representatives
      Parliament House
      Canberra ACT 2600

Tel: (02) 6277 7700
      Fax: (02) 6273 4100

Electorate Office Contact
      Morningside Office:
      Morningside Qld 4170

Postal Address:
      PO Box 476
      Morningside Qld 4170

Tel: (07) 3899 4031
      Fax: (07) 3899 5755

or maybe you can get him on FB?

Comment

• Bij
        • Oct 2009

Lion,

let me guess, this guy is a small time local senator who has a large macedonian population in his locality?

it's a nice sentiment, don't get me wrong, but what actions has he taken since making this elaborate speech? i'd love to hear about them.

Comment

• The LION will ROAR
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Bij View Post
          Lion,

let me guess, this guy is a small time local senator who has a large macedonian population in his locality?

it's a nice sentiment, don't get me wrong, but what actions has he taken since making this elaborate speech? i'd love to hear about them.

My point was...this speech to no prevail..
          So my guess is who ever has majority voters..whether they are right or wrong..gets to win..?
          abit like the greek lobbist in Melbourne..?
          Typical politics...all about the votes...
          __________________________________________________ _

In 1988 The Pan-Macedonian association called a Congress in Melbourne, Australia to demonstrate to the world, that “there is not such a thing as a Macedonia” and that there was and is only Greece or ancient Ellada. Participants in the Congress included the infamous professor Anasthassios Tamis chairman at Latrobe University, Melbourne and co-organizers N. Martis, Papathemelis, Katris and many other idiots as well as professors from all over the world.
          When Mr. Tamis began to dictate the tone of the congress and the reasons why it was held, many of the foreigners protested at the dictate. First was Professor Danforth and then others to whom Martis and Papathemelis said “Lexi Makedonia den iparhi” (there is no such word as Macedonia).
          In the meantime 30,000 Macedonians were demonstrating outside chanting “Makedonija”, “Makedonija” and waving red flags.
          At that point Professor Danforth asked Mr. Tamis “then who are these people outside claiming to be Macedonians? Look how many there are”.
          When the academics returned to Greece, they changed their policy from “there is no such word as Macedonia” to “yes, there is Macedonia, but it is Greek”.
          Macedonian protest in Australia
          YouTube - Macedonian protest in Australia
          The Macedonians originates it, the Bulgarians imitate it and the Greeks exploit it!

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

Who is the guy that does most of the talking? He seems to be well spoken and delivers the message strongly.
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Rogi
              • Sep 2008

Jim Anton, bog da go prosti.

Comment

• Pelister
                • Sep 2008

I think Kevin Rudd needs to be reminded of his hypocricy.

We have a right to exist.

We were invaded, dispossessed and denied.

Comment

• Bij
                  • Oct 2009

wasn't there something in one of the (Aussie) Macedonian newspapers about a little girl who wrote to Rudd to ask why we can't be called Macedonians??

Comment

• Bij
                    • Oct 2009

will the greeks ever get a life?

FYROM Prime Minister Nikola Gruevski has had his first 'slip up' in Australia. A bizzare comment made before members of Slav-Macedonian community of Australia implied territorial intentions against Greece and Bulgaria.

Mr. Gruevski said "Here in Australia, the Macedonians have the unique opportunity to live altogether as one; the Aegean Macedonians and the Pirinian Macedonians. That doesn't happen in your mother country".

"Aegean Macedonia" is a term used by some Slav Macedonian nationalists to refer to the Greek region of Macedonia, while "Pirin Macedonia" refers to what is now South Western Bulgaria. Therefore, Gruevski was implicitly speaking of his regret that there does not exist a unified 'Greater Macedonia', including Greek and Bulgarian territory.

Given that there is a number of people in his country with roots in Greece and Bulgaria (he himself has a grandfather from Greece) his statements are thought to leave little room for misinterpretation.

Gruevski is often accused by Greeks of being a hardline nationalist and harbouring irredentist claims on Greek territory.

Comment

• The LION will ROAR
                      • Jan 2009

While Greece states "Macedonia has territorial claims", it ignores and does not condemn Greek priest territorial claims:

Quote,
                      Greek clergyman who said that parts of Macedonia belonged to Greece and should be returned.

Anthimos, Greek Orthodox Church Metropolitan bishop of Thessaloniki in northern Greece, has called for a campaign to wrestle away from Macedonia the area of Bitola, 180 kilometers south of capital Skopje, saying it belonged to Greece.
                      The Macedonians originates it, the Bulgarians imitate it and the Greeks exploit it!

Comment

• Rogi
                        • Sep 2008

Bij,

That is a complete misinterpretation of his statement and meaning.
                        It will not fly.

Comment

• Bij
                          • Oct 2009

yes Rogi, me and you know this, but it was the first news article that popped up when googling Nikola Gruevski ( at least at the time i googled him)

very disappointing that this is what greeks and possibly others are reading about grujo.

Comment

• Prolet
                            • Sep 2009

Australia not thinking about recognizing Macedonia

Австралија Не размислува за признавање на Македонија

Мала е веројатноста Австралија да ја признае земјава под уставното име. Ова вчера отворено го соопшти Хери Џенкинс, претседател на Претставничкиот дом на австралискиот Парламент, кој е во официјална посета на Македонија.
                            - Се е можно, меѓутоа малку е веројатно да се покрене таква иницијатива, изјави Џенкинс, по средбата со претседателот на македонското Собрание, Трајко Вељановски. Тој смета дека ставот на Австралија не може многу да помогне во решавањето на спорот со Грција.
                            На прашањето зошто Австралија Македонците ги нарекува славомакедонци и потпаѓа под влијанието на грчкото лоби, Џенкинс вели:
                            - Сите поединци во Австралија имаат право да се самоидентификуваат на начин на кој што сакаат без разлика на различните изјави што можат да се чујат. И она што најчесто им го кажувам на Македонците во Австралија, е дека всушност понекогаш од ништо правите проблем, всушност играте во полза на вашиот противник, изјави Џенкинс. Првиот парламентарец на Австралија вчера се сретна и со претседателот Ѓорге Иванов.

МАКЕДОНЕЦ си кога кавал ќе ти ја распара душата,зурла ќе ти го раскине срцето,кога секое влакно од кожата ќе ти се наежи кога ќе видиш шеснаесеткрако сонце,кога до коска ќе те заболи кога ќе слушнеш ПЈРМ,кога немаш ни за леб,а полн си во душата затоа што ја сакаш МАКЕДОНИЈА. МАКЕДОНИЈА во срце те носиме.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                              • Sep 2008

Absolutely ridiculous. It is ridiculous being able to self-identify but not be respected or acknowledged in the same manner.
                              Risto the Great
                              MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                              "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                                • Sep 2008

He believes that Australia's position can not be much help in resolving the dispute with Greece.
                                It will help in the same way it helped when the U.S and Canada recognized the Macedonian people and state. The situation with population ratio, etc is very similar to Australia - So why do Australian politicians fear the Greek lobby, whereas the Americans and Canadians have the integrity to tell the racist voices emanating from the said lobby to pull its head in? How many souvlaki's did it take to pay and fill the pockets of all you 'honourable' politicians?
                                Asked why Macedonians are called 'Slav Macedonians' in Australia and why it falls under the influence of the Greek lobby, Jenkins says:
                                - All persons in Australia are entitled to self-identify the way they want regardless of the various statements that can be heard.
                                Australia is supposed to be a democratic country mr Jenkins, allowing someone to self-identify freely, while on paper the government writes something differently is an INSULT and is RACIST.
                                And what I often tell the Macedonians in Australia is that from nothing they create problems, which actually plays in favour on their opponents.......
                                From nothing....let's see, which nation or ethnicity of earth would be fine with self-identifying one way, and having the country they live in identify them in another? I seriously think the only way these fools are going to start getting the picture is if we return each 'favour' in kind. When Jenkins sits at official visits in Macedonia, he should not have 'Australia' listed as his representative country, but 'Anglo Convict Colony (Australis)' instead. Every idiocy we are faced with should be complimented in return to our so-called 'friends'. Every single one.
                                In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

Working...
                                X