T,D,Th are dentals

K,P,T are voiceless
    G,B,D are voiced
    H,F,Th are aspirate

The table would look like this:

K|G|H
    P|B| F
    T|D|Th

Common change is between ones own group for example: gutturals to gutturals. Other changes variant is change from voiceless to voiceless etc.. It is rare diagonal change from voiceless to aspirate or voiced or vice versa. The same goes for guttural to labial or aspirate.

Examples:
    Changes between labials: Greek: Pater, English: Father.
    Change between voiceless: Greek: Pater, Macedonin: Tate.
    Changes between dentals: English :Thorn, German: Dorn.

etc.

I don't think that there is a possible change from M>B. There is no such change attested.
    Last edited by makedonin; 08-22-2010, 11:20 AM.
    To enquire after the impression behind an idea is the way to remove disputes concerning nature and reality.

Comment

• Homer MakeDonski
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by makedonin View Post

I don't think that there is a possible change from M>B. There is no such change attested.
      Than what do we have to think about this record what I've posted previously.

Changes of M, esp. in dialects:

2. into B,
      as Mεμβράς ,Bεμβράς; Bροτός, Aeol. Mορτός ( v.άμβροτος fin.) and άBροτάξομεν for (from άMαρτάνω) ; μολєίν aor. of. βλώσκω ; κυBєρνήτης , Aeol. κυMєρνήτης ...1

1-Henry George Liddell and Robert Scott “Greek-English Lexicon” ,London,1896… page.953

Comment

• Bratot
        • Sep 2008

In the case of Mrmori - Brbori we can testify it's relation since both words have the same/simmilar meaning but still being separate in its usage.

Macedonian vs German : http://www.makedonisch.info/index.ap...BE%D1%80%D0%B8

Both Mrmori and Brbori are Sanskrit derivats.

Marmara = Murmur = Mrmori (mk)

Barbara = Stammering = Brbori (mk)

Barbara fem. proper name, from L., fem. of barbarus "strange, foreign, barbarous," from Gk. barbaros (see barbarian).
        barbarian 1338, from M.L. barbarinus, from L. barbaria "foreign country," from Gk. barbaros "foreign, strange, ignorant," from PIE base *barbar- echoic of unintelligible speech of foreigners (cf. Skt. barbara- "stammering," also "non-Aryan"). Barbaric is first recorded 1490, from O.Fr. barbarique, from L. barbaricus "foreign, strange, outlandish." Barbarous is first attested 1526.
        Barbary c.1300, "foreign lands" (especially non-Christian lands," from L. barbarus "barbarous" (see barbarian). Meaning "Saracens living in coastal North Africa" is attested from 1596, via Fr. (O.Fr. Barbarie), from Arabic Barbar, Berber, ancient Arabic name for the inhabitants of N.Africa beyond Egypt. Perhaps a native Arabic word, from barbara "to babble confusedly,"
        which may be ult. from Gk. barbaria (see barbarian). "The actual relations (if any) of the Arabic and Gr[eek] words cannot be settled; but in European langs. barbaria, Barbarie, Barbary, have from the first been treated as identical with L. barbaria, Byzantine Gr[eek] barbaria land of barbarians" [OED].
        sources:

Sir M. Monier Williams embarked upon Sanskrit-English Dictionary, with the primary object of exhibiting, by a lucid etymological arrangement, the structure of the sanskrit language, the very key-stone of the science of comparative philology. Though all lexicographers have to rely on the work of their earlier compeers, Sir Williams work is unique and original in its plan and execution, the utility of which is seen in its repeated reprints. This is not a mere aggregation of words and meanings but the fruit of a colossal industry and experience with the actual treatises in the original language on a number of subjects. All the words are arranged etymologically and philologically with special reference to cognate Indo-European languages. The author refers to several authors and extant works. The work includes well over 1,80,000 words. This invaluable thesaurus serves far too well the needs of researchers and lovers of Sanskrit.

Mrmori is also noted as old slavonic word:

There is also another simmilar Sanskrit word - Balbala = Blabla = stammering, shuttering.

Sir M. Monier Williams embarked upon Sanskrit-English Dictionary, with the primary object of exhibiting, by a lucid etymological arrangement, the structure of the sanskrit language, the very key-stone of the science of comparative philology. Though all lexicographers have to rely on the work of their earlier compeers, Sir Williams work is unique and original in its plan and execution, the utility of which is seen in its repeated reprints. This is not a mere aggregation of words and meanings but the fruit of a colossal industry and experience with the actual treatises in the original language on a number of subjects. All the words are arranged etymologically and philologically with special reference to cognate Indo-European languages. The author refers to several authors and extant works. The work includes well over 1,80,000 words. This invaluable thesaurus serves far too well the needs of researchers and lovers of Sanskrit.
        Last edited by Bratot; 08-23-2010, 03:42 AM.
        The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• makedonin
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Homer MakeDonski View Post
          Than what do we have to think about this record what I've posted previously.
          That is Greek as far as I can tell. I don't know of any common change like that in Macedonian, be it medevial or modern. I exclude ancient Macedonian, cause there are not enough sources to start research like that.

The M>B change in Greek as you have posted there, might be real, I can't tell anything about it.
          I know of β(B in ancient)>μπ(B in modern) shift. If that can be transvered with out further coloboration to Macedonian in general, I have my doubts there.

If we would use the modern or medevial transcription to write Bog with those characters, it would have been μπογ or μπωγ. If we are to write with ancient transcription most probably it would have been βογ or βωγ.

Using the medevial or modern transcription to explain some assumption for ancient transcription is asynchronus and non valid.

Originally posted by Bratot View Post
          In the case of Mrmori - Brbori we can testify it's relation since both words have the same/simmilar meaning but still being separate in its usage.
          Bratot that is a interesting case, I haven't thought of it, thanx for pointing out. There are three burning questions here:

1) Weather Mrmori and Brbori come from the same stem, despite their medevial and modern similar meaning. Can we prove that?
          2) If they are from the same stem, when the shift from B to M occured on the time line? In other words, if this change is modern or can be attested and seen at least in medevial times.
          3) Is this a isolated or common case.

I can't answear any of those questions.
          Last edited by makedonin; 08-23-2010, 03:24 AM.
          To enquire after the impression behind an idea is the way to remove disputes concerning nature and reality.

Comment

• Bratot
            • Sep 2008

Bratot that is a interesting case, I haven't thought of it, thanx for pointing out. There are three burning questions here:

1) Weather Mrmori and Brbori come from the same stem, despite their medevial and modern similar meaning. Can we prove that.

Having on mind the structure MRM=BRB yes, we can.
            It's a simple as it looks like.

2) If they are from the same stem, when the change occured. In other words, if this change is modern or can be attested and seen at least in medevial times.
            Since both are Sanskrit - PIE words we can firmly say the "change" has occured in very ancient times.

Sanskrit is a member of the Indo-Iranian sub-family of the Indo-European family of languages. Its closest ancient relatives are the Iranian languages Old Persian and Avestan.[9] Within the wider Indo-European language family, Sanskrit shares characteristic sound changes with the Satem languages (particularly the Slavic and Baltic languages), and also with Greek.[10]

If we start playing with Sanskrit words we can really testify the very ancient origin even of our modern speech.

Simple example:

The Sanskrit verbal adjective saṃskṛta- may be translated as "put together", "well or completely formed", "refined", "highly elaborated".[7] It is derived from the root saṃ(s)kar- "to put together, compose, arrange, prepare",[8] where saṃ- "together" (as English same) and (s)kar- "do, make". The language referred to as saṃskṛta "the cultured language" has by definition always been a "sacred" and "sophisticated" language, used for religious and learned discourse in ancient India, and contrasted with the languages spoken by the people, prākṛta- "natural, artless, normal, ordinary".

I think I don't have to explain the exact meaning of SAM - ShKRTA / Сам Шкрта.
            English - Macedonian translation:
            Sam = by oneself/myself/sole
            ShKRTA = Scraw

Sanskrit = Samskrta = I'm writing = Jas/Sam Shkrtam

3) Is this a isolated or common case.

I can't answear any of those questions.
            The wide usage of both brbori and mrmori for describing the very simmilar usage is a strong enough evidence.

I hope this helped you a bit.

In later days will try to add some accademic additional sources for this, it may take a time for me to provide it but I hope to find a time for it.
            Last edited by Bratot; 08-23-2010, 03:43 AM.
            The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• makedonin
              • Sep 2008

It appears that brbori is form
              Proto IE: bal-bal-
              IE: bar-bar-
              Meaning: babbling, unclear speech
              Liberal Arts at UT offers over 40 majors and many top-ranked graduate programs in the social sciences and humanities taught by 750 faculty.
              Mrmori most probably comes from:
              Proto IE: mormor-, murmur-
              Meaning: to murmur
              Liberal Arts at UT offers over 40 majors and many top-ranked graduate programs in the social sciences and humanities taught by 750 faculty.

"expression of (popular) discontent or complaint by grumbling," from Old French murmure… See origin and meaning of murmur.
              It does not appear that both are from the same stem, at least according to Pokorny.
              Last edited by makedonin; 08-23-2010, 03:54 AM.

Comment

• Bratot
                • Sep 2008

You are not paying attention to the sources I already posted.

And you missed the example in your link:

748-49 mormor-, murmur- > to murmur

or

murmur (n.)
                late 14c., "expression of discontent by grumbling," from O.Fr. murmure (12c.), noun of action from murmurer, from L. murmurare, from murmur (n.) "a hum, muttering, rushing," probably from a PIE reduplicative base *mor-mor, of imitative origin (cf. Skt. murmurah "crackling fire," Gk. mormyrein "to roar, boil," Lith. murmlenti "to murmur"). Meaning "softly spoken words" is from 1670s. The verb is first attested late 14c. Related: Murmured; murmuring.

"expression of (popular) discontent or complaint by grumbling," from Old French murmure… See origin and meaning of murmur.
                Last edited by Bratot; 08-23-2010, 03:57 AM.

Comment

• Bratot
                  • Sep 2008

Etymology

From Middle English murmur, murmor, murmour, from Old French murmure (modern French murmur), from Latin murmur (“murmur, humming, mutering, roaring, growling, rushing etc.”). Reduplication points to imitative, onomatopoeic origin; compare Sanskrit मर्मर (marmara, “rustling sound, murmur”), Ancient Greek μορμύρω (mormúrō, “to roar, boil”) and Lithuanian mùrmėti (“to mutter, murmur, babble”).

Century Dictionary, Vol. V, Page 3902, Murk to Murre
                  Last edited by Bratot; 08-23-2010, 04:05 AM.

Comment

• makedonin
                    • Sep 2008

You are not paying attention to the sources I already posted.
                    Sorry about that, I was on it, while you posted.
                    And you missed the example in your link:

748-49 mormor-, murmur- > to murmur

or

murmur (n.)
                    late 14c., "expression of discontent by grumbling," from O.Fr. murmure (12c.), noun of action from murmurer, from L. murmurare, from murmur (n.) "a hum, muttering, rushing," probably from a PIE reduplicative base *mor-mor, of imitative origin (cf. Skt. murmurah "crackling fire," Gk. mormyrein "to roar, boil," Lith. murmlenti "to murmur"). Meaning "softly spoken words" is from 1670s. The verb is first attested late 14c. Related: Murmured; murmuring.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=murmur

But bar bar and murmur from the http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/l...yMaster-R.html are two different stems, at least according to Pokorny. That is a problem for all other investigation to prove that M<>B shift is possible.
                    Last edited by makedonin; 08-23-2010, 04:10 AM.

Comment

• Bratot
                      • Sep 2008

Can you explain one "stem" in order I could know what are you looking for when investigating the 'stems' and concluding either they are or aren't same?

You can not date a shift in a sound, you may not prove anything in linguistics if you stick to your approach.

Barbara = Marmara = Brbori = Mrmori

Comment

• Homer MakeDonski
                        • Jan 2010

Regarding m-b changes will post some more examples ,what I have saved from a no more existing post at some of the world-wide forums.

A description of the comparative phonology
                        of the North Caucasian languages.

Sergei Starostin

...In the above table we only list the reflexes of the resonants *w and *m in initial and medial positions without the combinations with other consonants; the behaviour of such combinations will be specially considered below (see pp. 62-72). But there is one more type of cases, namely the modification of initial *w, *m and *b under the influence of following syllable-final resonants *n, *m and *l. One may note that in nominal NC roots variations of initial m,w,n and b occur very frequently. These variations up to now were either not explained at all, or were explained by the interchange of "petrified" class markers.

...It is also necessary to make some more particular remarks about the behaviour of labial consonants in separate languages:

1) Lak regularly drops initial syllables with nasal m- (and also with b- < *w-) and subsequent narrow vowels i, u (about the similar process in Lezghian see below, page 127).

4) Besides the processes listed above, we must also mention the denasalisation *m- >*b- that regularly happens in PWC before the following syllable-final liquid *r and *l.

Comment

• makedonin
                          • Sep 2008

Can you explain one "stem" in order I could know what are you looking for when investigating the 'stems' and concluding either they are or aren't same?

You can not date a shift in a sound, you may not prove anything in linguistics if you stick to your approach.

Barbara = Marmara = Brbori = Mrmori
                          Here is how I approach this. In order to prove that there is sound shift such as M<>B, this should be done on the same word from the same stem.

Consider the simple case of P<>F sound shift in Greek: Pater, English: Father. The considered word has the same stem, same meaning, same origin. With that approach it is obvious and proven that the P<>F shift is real occurance.

bar bar and murmur from the http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/l...yMaster-R.html are not the same stem and obviously they did not had the same meaning at the beginning, that is why we can't consider it as prove of M<>B sound change. They may have got same or similar meaning over time, but the basis is not the same, thus no proof of sound change.

I hope, I am clear about it. I don't want to start a war here. What I want is solid proof for what is claimed, other than that we end up as wannabe and propagandists.

Comment

• Homer MakeDonski
                            • Jan 2010

A final point of comparison requires a brief examination of the linguistics involved; specifically, the labial letters — b - w - m - p — the phonemes which are pronounced especially with the lips. In different dialects within the larger language family, words containing these phonemes differ in pronunciation. A modern example of labial shifts is found in the name of the Korean city which is now pronounced Busan instead of Pusan. An example from antiquity was the word for sun and the sun-god. In Hebrew it was Shemesh (cf., the town of Beth-Shemesh, the town of the temple of the sun-god). The Akkadian pronunciation differed only in vowels to produce Shamash. In Canaanite, however, this word was pronounced Shapsh (or Shapash if fully vocalized), i.e., the middle consonant simply shifted from an M to a P. I believe that the same phonetic shift occurred between the names of the heroes of these two epics, which phonetically at least, are the same. The M in Hebrew Adam has shifted to the final P in Akkadian,...4
                            4-W. H. Shea. 1977. Adam in ancient Mesopotamian traditions. Andrews University Seminary Studies 15:27-42.

Comment

• Bratot
                              • Sep 2008

Linguistic root:

This distinction between the word as a unit of speech and the root as a unit of meaning is even more important in the case of languages where roots have many different forms when used in actual words, as is the case in Semitic languages.
                              In these, roots are formed by consonants alone, and different words (belonging to different parts of speech) are derived from the same root by inserting vowels. For example, in Hebrew, the root gdl represents the idea of largeness, and from it we have gadol and gdola (masculine and feminine forms of the adjective "big"), gadal "he grew", higdil "he magnified" and magdelet "magnifier", along with many other words such as godel "size" and migdal "tower".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_(linguistics)

The production of the sound -B and -M can vary in a dialect only for a speciic word.

We have such example with Jaglen - Vaglen which I explained on other thread.

Comment

• Homer MakeDonski
                                • Jan 2010

I hope, I am clear about it. I don't want to start a war here. What I want is solid proof for what is claimed, other than that we end up as wannabe and propagandists.
                                I do appreciated your contribution bro. To me this is not starting war question,propaganda nether .Solid prove is what we need.
                                About your point of Pater-Father ,something else shell be mentioned .Both of these words are o.k. Padre as Latin loan included.
                                If we split these words we can find out neologism's Pa/Tera -Fa/Tera.
                                If Tera -earth ,than question will be , what the word Pa is standing for ?
                                My answer is Pa is a district of Ma .
                                Again back to the subject .

Comment

Working...
                                X