Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheNikoWhiteIch
    • Oct 2014

Appreciate the input. I would love to see an explanation of their methodology for this translation. Anyway, have any of you guys translated this:

Πελλήν (Macedones) * + Κούφην, καί φαιάν τώ χρώματι

I myself cannot do it since I don't recognize any of those Greek words they use for the translation. Let me know if you guys find something out.

Comment

• Nikolaj
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by TheNikoWhiteIch View Post
      Appreciate the input. I would love to see an explanation of their methodology for this translation. Anyway, have any of you guys translated this:

I myself cannot do it since I don't recognize any of those Greek words they use for the translation. Let me know if you guys find something out.
      I'll give it a go in a couple of days busy at the moment.

Comment

• TheNikoWhiteIch
        • Oct 2014

Appreciate it Nikolaj! No rush though.

Comment

• Amphipolis
          Banned
          • Aug 2014

This is from Hesychious lexicon, the two meanings of the adjective pellos (πελλός): hollow, empty, light (kouphos, κούφος) and grey, cinder [in color] (phaeos, φαιός [τω χρώματι]). They're given in feminine accusative case (as in the original source, whatever it was).

===
          Last edited by Amphipolis; 04-07-2015, 02:45 AM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Nikolaj
            Recently I have been searching for more and more information on the deities that the ancient Macedonians worshiped. I came across an article on a website called "Ancient Origins"
            (link: http://www.ancient-origins.net).
            The article discusses research conducted by a team consisting of Paolo Debertolis, Aristotel Tentov, Domagoj Nikolić, Goran Marjanović, Heikki Savolainen, Nina Earl, and published by Derek Cunningham. According to the research team's interpretation of the geoglyph, it is read as "Се (Se)." They claim that in the ancient religion, the God "Se" was the Creator of the Universe to the Macedonians. If so, his name literally translates as "Everything" in modern Macedonian.

Here's the url of the article:
            A multidisciplinary study of a geoglyph located atop a hill in Kanda in the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM), has unravelled a series of incredible features of the ancient structure, incl

Let me know what you guys think.
            The translation is irrefutable, but how can we know their interpretation is accurate? What was their methodology?
            In addition to their methodology, I would also suggest to those of you who are interested in such topics to remember that the Macedonian language (like most others) has underwent significant changes over several centuries. This means that often, the comparison between the Macedonian language (in its modern form) and something that was written thousands of years ago can yield misleading results.
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Nikolaj
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
              In addition to their methodology, I would also suggest to those of you who are interested in such topics to remember that the Macedonian language (like most others) has underwent significant changes over several centuries. This means that often, the comparison between the Macedonian language (in its modern form) and something that was written thousands of years ago can yield misleading results.
              This is of course true. However, I would propose that fundamental words could have sustained their basic etymological forms throughout the development of a language e.g. the word for God, certain agricultural terms etc...

It is something I bet we could have seen in the modern Greek language but Katharevousa happened.

Comment

• TheNikoWhiteIch
                • Oct 2014

The "god Se" and Alexarchus of Macedon

Regarding the supposed god 'Se,' I cannot take the translation too seriously since they claim it's in the "same" demotic script as the Rosetta Stone. We know that the "Macedonian translation" of the demotic portion is wrong since it doesn't appear to match up with the Greek and Egyptian parts. Further research is needed with a different methodology.

Biography:
                Alexarchus Alexarchus or Alexarch (Greek: Ἀλέξαρχος) was a Macedonian scholar and officer, son of Antipater and brother of Cassander. He lived around 350 to 290 BC. He is mentioned as the founder of a Utopian town called Ouranopolis, in Chalcidice. Here he is said to have introduced a number of neologisms, which, though very expressive, appear to have been regarded slang or pedantic.

Glossary:
                Άπύτης (Aputes): Caller or keryx herald
                From the Greek "Ήπύω or Άπύω (Epuo or Apuo)" meaning "to
                call"
                Άργυρὶς (Argyris): Drachma
                From the Greek word for 'silver'
                Βροτοκέρτης (Brotokertes): Barber, Hairdresser
                Greek etymology: mortal-shaver (βροτο-κέρτης)
                Ήμεροτροφὶς (Hemerotrophis): A dry measure (like corn)
                Greek etymology: daily foods (ἡμερο-τροφὶς)
                Κρατήτωρ (Kratitor): Ruling Star
                Greek etymology: capable of being mastered or ruled,
                from the word "Κρατητός (Kratitos)" meaning 'hold, grasp.'
                Όρθροβόας (Orthroboas): Rooster
                Greek etymology: -uncertain- it says "dawn yeller/shouter". I
                know that in Greek "Όρθρο (Orthro)" means "dawn," but I'm
                not certain what to connect "βόας (boas)" to. Maybe some
                form of "phonema"?

Uranopolis:
                URANOPOLIS (Οὐρανόπολις), a town in the peninsula Acte of Chalcidice in Macedonia, of which we know nothing, except that it was founded by Alexarchus, the brother of Cassander, king of Macedonia (Athen. 3.98; Plin. Nat. 4.10. s. 17). As Pliny does not mention Sane in his list of the towns of Acte, it has been conjectured by Leake that Uranopolis occupied the site of Sane. (Northern Greece, vol. iii. p. 149.)
                Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography, illustrated by numerous engravings on wood. William Smith, LLD. London. Walton and Maberly, Upper Gower Street and Ivy Lane, Paternoster Row; John Murray, Albemarle Street. 1854.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2014

Regarding the supposed god 'Se,' I cannot take the translation too seriously since they claim it's in the "same" demotic script as the Rosetta Stone. We know that the "Macedonian translation" of the demotic portion is wrong since it doesn't appear to match up with the Greek and Egyptian parts. Further research is needed with a different methodology.
                  Actually, unsuccessful or not fully successful match is the least of the problems in his case.

Όρθροβόας (Orthroboas): Rooster
                  Greek etymology: -uncertain- it says "dawn yeller/shouter". I
                  know that in Greek "Όρθρο (Orthro)" means "dawn," but I'm
                  not certain what to connect "βόας (boas)" to. Maybe some
                  form of "phonema"?
                  The etymology for -boas is well known. It comes from the verb boo (βοώ) = to shout that is still used today in Modern Greek.

Comment

• George S.
                    • Aug 2009

you dfinitely need proof that some words are definitely greek or are adopted.Saying that it is doesn't make it.
                    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Amphipolis
                      Banned
                      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                      you dfinitely need proof that some words are definitely greek or are adopted.Saying that it is doesn't make it.
                      The most famous ancient phrase I can think of is from Matthew 3.3: "φωνή βοώντος εν τη ερήμω"

For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

Edit: the same phrase also appears in the Old Testament (Septuagint Translation), Esaias 40,3

===
                      Last edited by Amphipolis; 05-23-2015, 02:37 AM.

Comment

• George S.
                        • Aug 2009

yes but originally the scriptures weren't in greek.Alot of misconceptions and myth were developed when they translated the bible to greek.I was a bible student and i learned how the bible wwas misinterpreted in many places eg where the holy ghost is described as a person when its not.There are heaps of examples.ZThere are many other adoptions.What has greek (phonecian) to do with the hebrew writings.?That is why the apostle paul did no succeed at first to bring the gospel to the greeks to convert them to christianity because they were too steeped in their myths.The greeks didm't accept the gospel first timr round.On the other hand the macedonians did accept the gospel first time round and were converted
                        Notice the distinction between greek and Macedonian.IF they were the one and thsame people st paul would have said it.Clkearly ythere was a distinction.
                        Also for those doubting thomases the romans distinctly separated greek and Macedonian people into two distinct and separate provinces.
                        Last edited by George S.; 05-23-2015, 10:14 PM.
                        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Amphipolis
                          Banned
                          • Aug 2014

I didn't mean it first (or only) appears in Bible. Lexicons have it in the (extended) form βοάω/βοώ (boao/boo). It's a common verb and it first appears in Homer (Odyssey). This is a link from Perseus Digital Library.

Comment

• George S.
                            • Aug 2009

Maybe there was a reason for using latin rather than greek in their liturgies.I prefer the 16 century st james official translation.You know with the finding of the dead sea scrolls actually the translating improved.You only need to read the prolouges of each bible translation.You can get translation in any language even in Macedonian.
                            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• TheNikoWhiteIch
                              • Oct 2014

Hey guys, I found this word "κλίσιον (klision)" in Otto Hoffmann's "Die Makedonen, ihre Sprache und ihr Volkstum," however, I cannot find a good translation of it. The word appears on the top part of page 4 in his book in a sentence that reads
                              Κλίσιον (ω 208) ... έν έτέρω δέ γράφει (Α'ίλιος Διονύσιος), ότι κλίσιον 'Αμερίας τό πρόστωον, 'ίσως παρά 'Ίωσιν, ώς καί 'Όμηρος »περί δέ κλίσιον θεέ πάντη«

could someone please translate this? I'd really appreciate it.

Comment

• Amphipolis
                                Banned
                                • Aug 2014

Hey guys, I found this word "κλίσιον (klision)" in Otto Hoffmann's "Die Makedonen, ihre Sprache und ihr Volkstum," however, I cannot find a good translation of it. The word appears on the top part of page 4 in his book in a sentence that reads
                                Κλίσιον (ω 208) ... έν έτέρω δέ γράφει (Α'ίλιος Διονύσιος), ότι κλίσιον 'Αμερίας τό πρόστωον, 'ίσως παρά 'Ίωσιν, ώς καί 'Όμηρος »περί δέ κλίσιον θεέ πάντη«

could someone please translate this? I'd really appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                                X