X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mastika
    • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Volk View Post
    Building a statue of Ataturk just dilutes the significance of the other statues. Not because Ataturk was not a great person, but because he was not Macedonian, he was Turkish and created and fought for the modern Turkish state.

He did absolutely nothing for Macedonia (from what I am aware of) and gives the impression we just build statues for PEOPLE from Macedonia NOT Macedonians! thus reducing our claim to the people we have built statues for
    Take into account the Mother Teresa museum-house. Last time I recall even Albanians were protesting about her, given that during her lifetime she did absolutely nothing to promote the Albanian cause. If she didn't even represent her own people, then what did she ever do for Macedonia?

However, I do see the flip side of things. Which is namely to attract greater tourism.

Comment

• Volk
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Mastika View Post
      Take into account the Mother Teresa museum-house. Last time I recall even Albanians were protesting about her, given that during her lifetime she did absolutely nothing to promote the Albanian cause. If she didn't even represent her own people, then what did she ever do for Macedonia?

However, I do see the flip side of things. Which is namely to attract greater tourism.
      Mother Teresa will be proclaimed a saint soon, she devoted her life to the very sick and destitute. She was not a nationalist but a humanist, she was from Skopje and worked for the betterment of humanity.

She deserves a statue, Ataturk was father of the Turkish nation.. what he has to do with us to warrant a "big statue" is beyond me.
      Makedonija vo Srce

Comment

• Mastika
        • Feb 2010

Mother Teresa will be proclaimed a saint soon, she devoted her life to the very sick and destitute. She was not a nationalist but a humanist, she was from Skopje and worked for the betterment of humanity.

She deserves a statue, Ataturk was father of the Turkish nation.. what he has to do with us to warrant a "big statue" is beyond me.
        I know this, and I believe that her work in India, is worthy of recognition. I was, however, just responding to your assertion about statues being built of people merely because they are FROM Macedonia.

The same could equally be said about Ataturk, I believe many Turks (take Onur, for example), view him also as a saint, for what he did for the Turkish nation.

He did absolutely nothing for Macedonia (from what I am aware of)
        The same could be said of her as well. I am however in favout of both memorials, if it can be used to show the rich heritage of Macedonia and to also promote tourist dollars.

Originally posted by SirGeorge8600
        However, since he if from there, why not build one of Mother Theresa? She did so much good and greatness.
        There was a recently a memorial house constructed in her honour in Skopje.
        Last edited by Mastika; 06-25-2011, 02:05 AM.

Comment

• Volk
          • Sep 2008

Mastika, Mother Teresa is a worldly figure, evenyone in the world knows about her and what she did.

Ataturk is not on the name level.

I have no objections for a memorial house for Ataturk ( I believe there is already on in Bitola)- even a small monument at the house. But to build a "big statue" for him in Bitola is ridiculous.

He deserves a place for him to be remembered, particularly for visiting Turks, but lets keep it real.
          Makedonija vo Srce

Comment

• Onur
            • Apr 2010

Btw, Macedonia wont be the first for that because already there are Mustafa Kemal statues, monuments all over the world for decades, like in Japan, Australia, New Zealand etc.

Most interesting one is in the central park in Havana, Cuba even tough Ataturk didn't have their political view at all. The deputy president of Fidel Castro opened it by saying that Mustafa Kemal was the greatest man of the last century who stood up against imperialists, capitalists and defeated them with his own people. He said that Che Guevara was also admiring Ataturk`s achievements and they were considering him as a role model against their struggle vs USA. Afaik, Mustafa Kemal`s is the only statue of a foreign politician in Cuba.

Comment

• indigen
              • May 2009

Mastika, Mother Teresa is a worldly figure, evenyone in the world knows about her and what she did.

ireland-family.net/picture_library/presidential_force_turkey.JPG
              The presidential insignia Republic of Turkey since 11000 years in central Asia; - designed again and new by Excellency President Mustafa Kemal Atatürk in 1923.

IRELAND WORLD WIDE ON THE WEB
              IN 1847 DURING THE GREAT FAMINE AND DEATH - IN IRELAND THE UNIQUE HUMANITARIAN RELIEF CAME ONLY FROM THE EMPEROR AND PEOPLE OF TURKEY-FOR MY EMERALD FAMILY.

During the great starvation; - in Ireland 1846-1851 the death of 1,5 million people and children the sole humanitarian relief came only from the Emperor of Turkey (Ottoman Empire)
              Photo: Excellency Mary McAlleese the President of Ireland, wreath laying ceremony for Mustafa Kemal Atatürk at the Mouseleum in Ankara/Turkey.

Photo: Excellency Mary McAlleese the President of Ireland during a ceremony for Mustafa Kemal Atatürk at the Mouseleum in Ankara/Turkey.

Photo: A wreath from Ireland for Mustafa Kemal Atatürk the founding father Republic of Turkey from Excellency Mary McAlleese the President of Ireland at the Mouseleum in Ankara/Turkey.

Photo: The inside of the great Mouseleum for the man of the century; - Mustafa Kemal Atatürk (Anitkabir) Ankara/Turkey.

Photo: Excellency Mary McAlleese the unique President of Ireland said; - during a statememt in Ankara/Turkey;-

“I grow up as a child in Ireland with the pictures of “Mustafa Kemal Atatürk„ with the unique man of the century.

ireland-family.net/picture_library/turk_is_his_own_master.jpg
              Photo:The man of the century; - Mustafa Kemal Atatürk and the Time Magazine cover 1929 with the sentence; - a Turk is his own master.

Photo: The Irish President excellency Mary McAlleese, salutes the world "1'st" and oldest "Military Band";- and the military guard during her official visit at the Turkish president pallace in Ankara/Turkey 2009.

Photo: The Irish President excellency Mary McAlleese salutes; - The Northstar Family Members; - during her official visit at the Turkish presidents pallace in Ankara/Turkey 2009.

Against neglect
              We the people of Ireland&Turkey we know very well and we will never forget our true world history to make a better future for all of us.

The pictures and content are from Turkish&Irish Ambassador and Diplomats, Topkapı Pallace Istanbul/Turkey, Archives of Topkapı Pallace Istanbul/Turkey, City of Dublin/Ireland, City of Drogheda/Ireland, Football Club of Drogheda/Ireland, Naval Museum Istanbul/Turkey, Naval Museum Dublin/Ireland, Naval Museum Drogheda, private collection, Turkish&Irish family members around the world.

---------------

Given the importance of Turkey internationally and the significance placed on the founding father of the state, no doubt ALL nations (and their media) dealing with the state of Turkey will be keenly aware of the significance of Kemal Ataturk!

I have no objections for a memorial house for Ataturk ( I believe there is already on in Bitola)- even a small monument at the house. But to build a "big statue" for him in Bitola is ridiculous.
              No doubt it will be good for tourism but I also think it needs some real consideration of what is appropriate.

He deserves a place for him to be remembered, particularly for visiting Turks, but lets keep it real.
              I agree.

-----------------

FYI: 42. Mustafa Kemal Ataturk won Time's "Man of the Century"

He was voted (online) as the most important person of the 20th Century. (Eventually Churchill took 1st because Ataturk and Mustafa Kemal Ataturk were counted separately).
              http://www.democraticunderground.com...esg_id=2984729

Comment

• Onur
                • Apr 2010

Indigen, is it you? So, you support Mustafa Kemal`s statue?

Indigen`s account has been hacked or somethin? What`s up with all that info above here? What happened to the indigen who constantly writes like "Mongols, Tourko-Mongols, Tatars"???

Comment

• indigen
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by Onur View Post
                  Indigen, is it you? So, you support Mustafa Kemal`s statue?

Indigen`s account has been hacked or somethin? What`s up with all that info above here? What happened to the indigen who constantly writes like "Mongols, Tourko-Mongols, Tatars"???
                  You either suffer from AMNESIA or have comprehension problems!

Comment

• BigMak
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2009

I agree no need for a large statue of a turkish ruler, lets keep the large statues for Macedonian Figures, I am already disappointed with that the statue of the Manaki Brothers its to big. a smaller one would have been ideal.

Comment

• lavce pelagonski
                      • Nov 2009

This is what Time magazine had to say about Ataturk

Turkey: The land a dictator turned into a democracy

The Father of All the Turks (who left no legitimate heirs) was born in 1881 in Salonika, then part of the Ottoman Empire, of a mild Albanian father and a forceful Macedonian mother. Mustafa was a rebel from the start. His pious Mohammedan mother urged him to become a holy man, but he became a soldier; at 22, a captain, he rebelled against the Sultan and was nearly executed; at 27, he joined the Young Turks rebellion, then rebelled against the Young Turks.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,860057-1,00.html

I wont post the whole article because it is very long and I havent read it all but this got my attention. If his mother was Macedonian and if she was muslim would she have therefore been considered a Torbesh ?
                      Стравот на Атина од овој Македонец одел до таму што го нарекле „Страшниот Чакаларов“ „гркоубиец“ и „крвожеден комитаџија“.

„Ако знам дека тука тече една капка грчка крв, јас сега би ја отсекол целата рака и би ја фрлил в море.“ Васил Чакаларов

Comment

• lavce pelagonski
                        • Nov 2009

I think this also may be the reason why the statue is going up dont you think, oh ye and the Albanian thing too.

Onur what do you think about this, do they have it right.
                        Стравот на Атина од овој Македонец одел до таму што го нарекле „Страшниот Чакаларов“ „гркоубиец“ и „крвожеден комитаџија“.

„Ако знам дека тука тече една капка грчка крв, јас сега би ја отсекол целата рака и би ја фрлил в море.“ Васил Чакаларов

Comment

• George S.
                          • Aug 2009

i agree that we should keep the statues simple and small.or are we trying to oudooourselves in some way.Allready in bitola there is a house dedicated to attaturk & i'm sure virtually all are pleased with it but to build giant statues on horses of the size of alexander is an overkill.Macedonia should keep it simple or have statues everywhere & ruin it for everyone.
                          I don't know why the albanians are allowed to build statues of their terrorists particularly when they are responsible for treason in the 2001 war.
                          Last edited by George S.; 06-26-2011, 03:39 AM. Reason: ed
                          "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• vojnik
                            • Apr 2011

A statue of Ataturk in Macedonia is ridiculous he regarded himself as a Turk fought and died for the Turkish nation and just went to school in Bitola he has no place for a statue to be dedicated to him in our country. I can't find any source about him being half Macedonian besides Time Magazine his mother was a radical Muslim woman who wanted Ataturk to be some sort of a Muslim fanatic like herself. Even if she was Macedonian Muslim that means she is a Torbesh you know the people that sold their religion for higher rankings in Ottoman society.

Comment

• George S.
                              • Aug 2009

I think everything in moderation,they have allready given a commemoration house which is an excellent gesture & it will be visited by a lot of turkish visitors.A very befitting gesture among respected friends & allies.Don't forget the turks & macedonians are the best of friends & that should stay like that.I suppose that's the only thing that stands out that they done right(the ROM GOvt).
                              Last edited by George S.; 06-26-2011, 05:43 PM. Reason: edit
                              "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by vojnik View Post
                                Even if she was Macedonian Muslim that means she is a Torbesh you know the people that sold their religion for higher rankings in Ottoman society.
                                Some converted opportunistically, others were forced. Right or wrong, it is the way it is. While I wish to have Orthodox Christianity preserved as the prevalent Macedonian religion based on centuries of cultural continuity, I wouldn't reject a fellow Macedonian based on their religious beliefs. Anybody that does clearly rates their religion above their Macedonian identity.

As for the Kemal statue, I don't see a major issue with it.
                                In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

Working...
                                X