Vissinea, Visheni

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Svoliani
    Banned
    • Sep 2008
    • 93

    Vissinea, Visheni

    Hey Risto , ive been reading the history of this little village (which is near Kastoria) and it says that Adelaide has the most Vishentsi in all of the diaspora. Just wondering if know people from this village.
    Ill put up some passages later , first translate these words for me, if they mean anything of course...

    Psofisano, Petelo , Purdi , Kambanata , Lukanik , Mirisa , Ftesen , Kutseno.

    Thanks
  • Risto the Great
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2008
    • 15659

    #2
    I know many Vishentsi from Adelaide.
    If I could pick my favourite village (excluding family ties) it would be Visheni ... what an awesome landscape as you head down to Visheni then down to Kostur. The tobacco drying, the greenery ... awesome.

    You might know a very well known author whose relatives come from there ... his name is Michael Radin (look him up). I know many staunch Macedonian activists from Visheni. Others from Visheni proclaim themselves as Greek but their children only know how to speak Macedonian ... go figure.

    Petel rooster
    Tesen tight
    Mirisa smell

    I know, but no idea of the others. Are you making up languages?

    The Kostur dialects are very close to Lerinsko ... but there are some departures ... I think they say "fork" (noticeably) differently. And some of their sayings are a little odd to us ... like Aussies saying "wanna root a Donkey" ... root means something a little different to us.

    I believe the saying that comes to mind is "Wanna hop on my bike" translated in Kostursko as "Wanna jump on my cock".
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

    Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

    Comment

    • Svoliani
      Banned
      • Sep 2008
      • 93

      #3
      Thats interesting, only 3 were familliar to you.
      Just so you think i wasnt making things up

      I PETELO YAYTSA MU NESI. (Even his rooster lays eggs.) He is lucky.)
      (We call the rooster Petno or Petino)

      NE KUTSA MAGARETO OT USHITE. (The donkey does not limp because of his ears.) When you fail to see the real cause.
      (We say Kutseno for limping, i believe from Kots = heel)

      EM FTESEN EM BESEN. (He is guilty but goes berserk.) When you don't admit your quilt.
      (Ftes means more like 'fault')

      TIA GO KURSTAT TOY PURDI. (He farts while being baptized.) When you reject the advice of elders.
      (Where im from we call farts ' poordes ')

      OT TIA SHO BIE NA KAMBANATA. (From those who hit the church bell.) When someone is arrogant and stubborn.
      (Kambana is bell in Greek)

      PSOVISANO MAGARE OT VULK NE SE PLASHI. (A dead donkey is not afraid of the wolf.) When you are experienced and can handle any situation.
      (Psofises means to die in Greek)

      NI LUK YAL NI LUK MIRISA. (He neither has eaten garlic nor smells of it.) When you try to hide your quilt.
      ( Mirisa = smell , Mirizo = i smell)

      I found all this interesting because the author claims that an elder told him that the roots of the village come from Epirus.
      Last edited by Svoliani; 10-17-2008, 01:40 AM.

      Comment

      • Risto the Great
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2008
        • 15659

        #4
        You want me to understand "purdi". I would have written it as "p'rdi".
        Write it in Cyrillic Macedonian to avoid confusion.

        Kutsa instead of Kutseno .... are you doing this on purpose? I mean really.
        Risto the Great
        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

        Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

        Comment

        • osiris
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2008
          • 1969

          #5
          you failed rtg.

          sorry buddy you mustnt be a real macedonian.

          svoliania is.

          Comment

          • Daskalot
            Senior Member
            • Sep 2008
            • 4345

            #6
            Originally posted by Svoliani View Post
            Thats interesting, only 3 were familliar to you.
            Just so you think i wasnt making things up

            I PETELO YAYTSA MU NESI. (Even his rooster lays eggs.) He is lucky.)
            (We call the rooster Petno or Petino)

            NE KUTSA MAGARETO OT USHITE. (The donkey does not limp because of his ears.) When you fail to see the real cause.
            (We say Kutseno for limping, i believe from Kots = heel)

            EM FTESEN EM BESEN. (He is guilty but goes berserk.) When you don't admit your quilt.
            (Ftes means more like 'fault')

            TIA GO KURSTAT TOY PURDI. (He farts while being baptized.) When you reject the advice of elders.
            (Where im from we call farts ' poordes ')

            OT TIA SHO BIE NA KAMBANATA. (From those who hit the church bell.) When someone is arrogant and stubborn.
            (Kambana is bell in Greek)

            PSOVISANO MAGARE OT VULK NE SE PLASHI. (A dead donkey is not afraid of the wolf.) When you are experienced and can handle any situation.
            (Psofises means to die in Greek)

            NI LUK YAL NI LUK MIRISA. (He neither has eaten garlic nor smells of it.) When you try to hide your quilt.
            ( Mirisa = smell , Mirizo = i smell)

            I found all this interesting because the author claims that an elder told him that the roots of the village come from Epirus.
            I see that you answered your own question before I managed to give you my answers.

            I understood all of them, you just have to read them out loud so to say.
            Macedonian Truth Organisation

            Comment

            • El Bre
              Member
              • Sep 2008
              • 713

              #7
              If anyone wants to read the source of the above quotes posted by the distinguished linguist and scholar Svolianis, you can find it here;

              Last edited by El Bre; 10-17-2008, 01:53 PM.

              Comment

              • MapleLeaf1
                Member
                • Sep 2008
                • 114

                #8
                Why would he copy and paste them here
                Drvo, what exactly are you trying to prove

                Comment

                • osiris
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2008
                  • 1969

                  #9
                  check thi out from the book in question.
                  Incidentally, another despicable act that the Greek authorities did after "liberation" was to remove all the headstones from the graves of the fallen during the Ilinden uprising, which were buried at a special locality near the village of APOSKEP. Afterwards, they ploughed up the place and turned it into fields so that no trace remains of the "BULGAR K0MITAJIS." However, unwittingly, they reminded us of what our people were fighting for: Near the lake shore of Kastoria, there is a statue of the bishop GERMANOS KARAVANGELIS with the inscription that he "fought against Bulgarism" (KATA TOU VOULGARISMOU).
                  25
                  The two Greek teachers, PERICLIS ILIADIS and IRINI ILIADIS, husband and wife, who came to our village in 1928 or thereabouts, had three children, HARALAMBOS, YANNIS, AND ANDROMAHI. The children could not speak a single word of our dialect when they arrived from KRANYA, a village in the district of KOZANI, a Greek-speaking region of Macedonia. Soon, however, they learned to speak our dialect quite fluently; and when they played with us late after school, their mother would come out and call them home with the remarks: "EMATHATE APTIN TIN VROMOGLOSSA." (You have learned this dirty language!)

                  Although she was born In Varna, Bulgaria, she would not utter a single word in our dialect, even with the women who tried to communicate with her while washing at the church well (TSURKUNATA CHEZHMA). She always would answer in Greek. I learned my first Greek letters from her. She also told us not to speak Bulgarian at home and that the Bulgarians have "one eye like the Cyclops" and sometimes "eat people!" Later on, around 1933, she devised a diabolical plan, probably to harm our village. She told the police sergeant in our village that she was often terrorized by "KOMITAJIS" at night. The sergeant contacted our priest POP KUZO MARKOV and asked him to tell the truth whether any rebels were still operating in our district. Pop Kuzo assured him that these things were of the past, and he believed that no COMITAJIS existed anywhere anymore. The sergeant was wary; whom should he believe? But, apparently, being a smart person, the sergeant devised a plan to learn the truth.

                  One evening he went to tell Mrs. Iliadis that something had happened in the neighbouring village of Oxia (BLATSA) and all the police personnel would be absent that night, so she should take extra care. The following morning, around 10 o'clock, the sergeant arrived at the school building where Mrs. Iliadis lived and asked her how she had gotten on the previous night. "Terrible, KYR ASTINOME, Just terrible! This was the worst night I have ever experienced! You should have seen those beards; they resembled beasts, not humans! Luckily the windows are protected by iron bars; otherwise, they would have broken in!" Policeman: "Hmmm. . . So these are the comitajis that threaten you, KYRA IRINI. . . KRIMA (pity)! You should be ashamed of yourself; you have been eating bread in this village for so many years, and now you are scheming to destroy it! I have been keeping watch outside the school with another policeman all night, and nothing of the sort you described happened!" She did not know what to say and disappeared into the other room. Afterwards, he went to see the priest and patted him on the back for his honesty. About 15 years later, she and her daughter, together with another woman, were slain by the partizans as described earlier in this discourse. Her husband had left her earlier and had gone to live in Kastoria, where he became editor of a newspaper called Kastoria. The villagers claimed that he was responsible at one time for ringing the bell at Easter one hour earlier as a hoax, and the
                  26
                  people arrived at the church for the midnight mass before the priest arrived!

                  Comment

                  • Svoliani
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2008
                    • 93

                    #10
                    Kranya, a village near KOZANI? A Greek speaking region of Macedonia??
                    This author really knows his stuff.
                    So the kids learned the dialect in no time!! I wonder if they grew up thinking they are Ethnic Macedonians. Looks like we just met our first Slavophone Greeks!!!

                    I found this part interesting.

                    The observant reader will have noticed that our village, and the other villages around Kastoria and Florina, cannot be more than 400-500 years old. The date given (1660) for the village of Babchor is when three settlements came together and formed it, according to GEORGE STOICHEV'S pamphlet. According to B. SHLKLIFOV, the villages of CHERESNITSA and BLATSA were near FOTINISHTA 200-300 years ago. They moved from the plain to the mountains to be far from the Turkish authorities. He also claims that the whole population in the Kastoria district could have
                    come from the South. This is consistent with the historical events of the past, as there was a revolt in Thessaly in the twelfth century by Slavs and V1achs against Byzantine rule, after which they moved up closer to their kin. However, I have heard DEDO FILETO KIOSEV on several occasions say that we came from EPIROS. This is also consistent with historical events of the past because there were Slav tribes settled in Albania also and could have been pushed eastwards by the Albanians later.

                    What do you make of the authors claims of only 400 years in Macedonia? And does anyone agree with this South to North migration?

                    Comment

                    • osiris
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2008
                      • 1969

                      #11
                      just give it up smoliani and join the world.

                      Comment

                      • Pelister
                        Senior Member
                        • Sep 2008
                        • 2742

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Svoliani View Post
                        Kranya, a village near KOZANI? A Greek speaking region of Macedonia??
                        This author really knows his stuff.
                        So the kids learned the dialect in no time!! I wonder if they grew up thinking they are Ethnic Macedonians. Looks like we just met our first Slavophone Greeks!!!

                        I found this part interesting.

                        The observant reader will have noticed that our village, and the other villages around Kastoria and Florina, cannot be more than 400-500 years old. The date given (1660) for the village of Babchor is when three settlements came together and formed it, according to GEORGE STOICHEV'S pamphlet. According to B. SHLKLIFOV, the villages of CHERESNITSA and BLATSA were near FOTINISHTA 200-300 years ago. They moved from the plain to the mountains to be far from the Turkish authorities. He also claims that the whole population in the Kastoria district could have
                        come from the South. This is consistent with the historical events of the past, as there was a revolt in Thessaly in the twelfth century by Slavs and V1achs against Byzantine rule, after which they moved up closer to their kin. However, I have heard DEDO FILETO KIOSEV on several occasions say that we came from EPIROS. This is also consistent with historical events of the past because there were Slav tribes settled in Albania also and could have been pushed eastwards by the Albanians later.


                        What do you make of the authors claims of only 400 years in Macedonia? And does anyone agree with this South to North migration?

                        Its possible.

                        Comment

                        • osiris
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2008
                          • 1969

                          #13
                          pelister as late as the first decade of the 20thc some people living in epiros and albania who spoke po nasha . our house in dragosh was biult by nashi maestori od yanina .

                          Comment

                          • makedonin
                            Senior Member
                            • Sep 2008
                            • 1668

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Svoliani View Post
                            Psofisano

                            Putrefaction, rotting
                            To enquire after the impression behind an idea is the way to remove disputes concerning nature and reality.

                            Comment

                            • Pelister
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2008
                              • 2742

                              #15
                              Originally posted by osiris View Post
                              pelister as late as the first decade of the 20thc some people living in epiros and albania who spoke po nasha . our house in dragosh was biult by nashi maestori od yanina .
                              That's interesting.

                              One guy I was reading about lived in a village outside Debar. The local Pasha wanted to marry his daughter - and he would not give her away, so he fled - he went to the summit of Pirin, walked a few miles down and founded his own village in the early 18th century.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X