• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daskalot
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by afterhours View Post
    Common knowledge!

As a matter of fact, the Athenians (kinda like today) thought that their shit didn't stink!
    So we all shall assume that this is a "fact" based on hearsay....... where is the proof, backing your argument?
    Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Daskalot
      • Sep 2008

Why so curious? This is thread is dedicated to Macedonian archaeology, an archaeology that is housed in the world's finest museums....what's your ulterior motive?
      You were the one claiming to be a history major, you are a Greek thus Greek history must be your cup of coffee, thus giving the 5 most important dates in Greek history would be no problem what so ever.

Comment

• afterhours
        Banned
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Daskalot View Post
        You are not an A+ student if we say so.....
        Ok...I don't mind constructive criticism! Still waiting with bated breathe for your rebuttal in regards to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Louvre....are these landmarks of art and history part of some elaborate "Greek" conspiracy?

See! I even used quotations for "Greek"...LOL!!!

Comment

• Daskalot
          • Sep 2008

Ok...I don't mind constructive criticism! Still waiting with bated breathe for your rebuttal in regards to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Louvre....are these landmarks of art and history part of some elaborate "Greek" conspiracy?

See! I even used quotations for "Greek"...LOL!!!
          I do not need to rebut anything Macedonia was a kingdom, Eugene Borza share this view and many other academics with him.

Comment

• afterhours
            Banned
            • Sep 2009

You were the one claiming to be a history major, you are a Greek thus Greek history must be your cup of coffee, thus giving the 5 most important dates in Greek history would be no problem what so ever.
            Actually, modern art is my cup of tea!

To answer your question, there are several important dates in Greek history. To go that route would require a new thread....maybe you can start one!

Btw, I'm not a nationalist fuck, so I could give two fucks! As I already mentioned, I am into art and history....specifically art history!

Comment

• Bij
              • Oct 2009

Why is it every time a Greek comes to this forum, they are lacking in knowledge and avoid topics at hand by being smart arse?

Very disappointing.

afterhours, if the Macedonians were Hellenes, why did their burial procedures and ritualistic rites differ from that of other ancient hellenes (of the city state kind)??

Comment

• afterhours
                Banned
                • Sep 2009

I do not need to rebut anything Macedonia was a kingdom, Eugene Borza share this view and many other academics with him.

Ok...and? Macedonia wasn't the first kingdom in Greece!

You can refer to Borza 24/7 for all I care! The fact of the matter is that every distinguished museum on the face of the planet does not share Borza's revisionist take on history.

Btw, Borza also clearly stated that the Macedonians may very well have originated from an archaic pool of Greek speakers and could very well have been of Greek stock. Not only that, but he even goes on to say that the ancient Maks had become completely assimiltated and thoroughly Hellenized by the time of Alexander.

Why don't you mention that?!

Comment

• Daskalot
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Bij View Post
                  Why is it every time a Greek comes to this forum, they are lacking in knowledge and avoid topics at hand by being smart arse?

Very disappointing.

afterhours, if the Macedonians were Hellenes, why did their burial procedures and ritualistic rites differ from that of other ancient hellenes (of the city state kind)??
                  A very good question Bij, maybe our modern arts history student can answer this from an artistic perspective.

Comment

• afterhours
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2009

Very disappointing.

How am I lacking in knowledge? And how am I avoiding the topic?

Last time I checked, this thread was dedicated to archaeology, no?

I'm not being that much of a smart ass! If I am, then let me know!

Do you think that the Macedonians were the only tribe (Greek or non Greek) to bury their dead in the same fashiom?

Comment

• Daskalot
                      • Sep 2008

Ok...and? Macedonia wasn't the first kingdom in Greece!

You can refer to Borza 24/7 for all I care! The fact of the matter is that every distinguished museum on the face of the planet does not share Borza's revisionist take on history.

Btw, Borza also clearly stated that the Macedonians may very well have originated from an archaic pool of Greek speakers and could very well have been of Greek stock. Not only that, but he even goes on to say that the ancient Maks had become completely assimiltated and thoroughly Hellenized by the time of Alexander.

Why don't you mention that?!
                      archaic pool of Greek speakers...... what does that mean?
                      of Greek stock....... define this in an ancient context.
                      Hellenized.... could you define this as well.

Comment

• afterhours
                        Banned
                        • Sep 2009

I sincerely must, no sober Hellenist does consider Macedonia in ancient times to have been a city-state.
                        City-states came in all forms.

Comment

• Daskalot
                          • Sep 2008

City-states came in all forms.
                          So what is the difference between a city-state and a kingdom when a city-state can be a kingdom then why have a kingdom and not a city-state?

Comment

• Bij
                            • Oct 2009

How am I lacking in knowledge? And how am I avoiding the topic?

Last time I checked, this thread was dedicated to archaeology, no?

I'm not being that much of a smart ass! If I am, then let me know!

Do you think that the Macedonians were the only tribe (Greek or non Greek) to bury their dead in the same fashiom?

because answering questions by asking questions is not providing information. i would have happily accepted an 'i have no idea why the ancient Macedonians buried their dead differently'.

yes, archaeology, let's look up a definition of that, shall we?

ar⋅chae⋅ol⋅o⋅gy
                              /ˌɑrkiˈɒlədʒi/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [ahr-kee-ol-uh-jee] Show IPA
                            Use archaeology in a Sentence
                            See web results for archaeology
                            See images of archaeology
                            –noun
                            1. the scientific study of historic or prehistoric peoples and their cultures by analysis of their artifacts, inscriptions, monuments, and other such remains, esp. those that have been excavated.
                            2. Rare. ancient history; the study of antiquity.
                            I do think burying the dead would fall in to the topic at hand, archaeology. Or are you going to profess your undying love for modern history again? because i am also a history student (of modern history) and would happily go off topic with you to discuss the nation-state of 'modern greek' and what many scholars think of its inception.

Comment

• afterhours
                              Banned
                              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by makedonin View Post
                              Playing the smart ass? Is that how you react when you don't have any valid option to prove your point you make?
                              How exactly am I being a smart ass?

If you don't like my approach, then I'll tone it down!

Originally posted by makedonin View Post
                              Show us valid example to prove your point that Attic was used by the city states cause it was sophisticated!

And for starters like your self, Macedonia was Kingdom, no city state.
                              City-states came in all shapes and sizes.

Comment

• afterhours
                                Banned
                                • Sep 2009

because answering questions by asking questions is not providing information. i would have happily accepted an 'i have no idea why the ancient Macedonians buried their dead differently'.

yes, archaeology, let's look up a definition of that, shall we?

I do think burying the dead would fall in to the topic at hand, archaeology. Or are you going to profess your undying love for modern history again? because i am also a history student (of modern history) and would happily go off topic with you to discuss the nation-state of 'modern greek' and what many scholars think of its inception.

As I already mentioned, the Macedonians were not the only tribe in the region that burried their dead in that manner.

Ok, "modern Greek" it is!

Comment

Working...
                                X