• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • afterhours
    Banned
    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
    You know what he was trying to say, and you're still avoiding the main point and the other questions that I asked of you in relation to that point.
    What points have I neglected exactly? Can you be so kind as to bring these "points" to my attention?!

Yes, sure, Hellenistic right off the bat! Like from the 8th century BC? From when is "off the bat" according to you?
    The first Greek colonies were established in the 8th century.

Yes, that is why I asked. Show me answers specifically to the above 4 questions. Although linked, that is not the same thing as Hellenization, which is what you said. Be more specific next time.
    WHAT above 4 questions?????????

No, they did not consider themselves 'Greeks'. They received Hellenic influence from the 5th century BC an only after this do they begin to be considered Hellenes by some writers. Their origins are not Hellenic.
    Regardless of wether they were or weren't Greeks....that's a moot point! Even revisionist historians like Badian and Borza clearly state that by the Hellenistic Era, the Macedonians had become completely assimilated within the much larger Greek worl that encompassed them!

This is not a matter of comparing museums. If a museum has a collection of artifacts from Macedonia with inscriptions in the Hellenic tongue, and makes the conclusion that the Macedonian population was 'Hellenic' based on these items, it does not take away from the fact that similar artifacts with inscriptions in the Hellenic tongue have been found in Illyria and Thrace, and used by Illyrians and Thracians..
    The only difference is that those Illyrian and Thracian inscriptions rendered in the Greek script, still represented a foreign language, whereas every inscription from Macedonia is inscribed in one language....the Greek!

Show me examples of these documented languages. What do you mean 'documented'? Documented how, citations, inscriptions, etc? Provide evidence for both Illyrian and Thracian.

Define 'handy'?
    Forgot what my question was! Old age is setting in.....shit!!!

Comment

• George S.
      • Aug 2009

AH you just answered my question to agree to disagree as you are not sure of yourself as you pursue to disclose state sponsored doctrine you are simply skirting around denying things such as that museum or this museum. Your answers are all wishy washy as you keep referring to you museums.the facts are there that the articles are doctored to say this is greek.Greek word for greek never existed before 1832,it's a latin word.You are in denial because you are saying preconceived things that it's Greek when i just told you the word GReek didn't exist prior to 1832.Greece is a fake there are no real greeks anymore.There's only vlachs,slavs,albanians,turks,& Macedonians in your so called GReece!Stop lying to yourself .Your answers are typical state sponsored dogma!.So stop reffering to museums as if they are some infallible thing.
      You dismiss & ignore Real facts about the so called Greeks & Macedonians THe aniti Macedonian wars these were wars centuries long Greece waged wars on the Macedonians.Is it because they were the one people no because they were different people who hated each other.You ignore specific distinctions of language,race.Why was ARistotle banished from Athens Why because he was Macedonian!Why was macedonia not included in the Trojan wars because she was not Greek.Go ahead & deny real facts.
      Last edited by George S.; 11-09-2009, 03:46 AM. Reason: edit
      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• afterhours
        Banned
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Bij View Post
        i won't sit here and argue about greek women and their looks. i spent too much time in gym class in high school with the hairy moles and have nothing nice to say
        You must've gone to school with some fugly Greek bitches! That sucks for you!

Greek women (like all the beautiful women of the Balkans) are smoking hot!!! I lived in Athens for a year.

afterhours, you have posted the getty, met, blah blah blah repeatedly. do widen your base. there is more to ancient history than these sources.
        Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that this thread was dedicated to the "archaeology of the ancient world".....therefore, I found it appropriate to post links to various museums. Apparently I can't even reference them for fear of being targeted as "anti-patriotic" and/or anti-macedonian.

reading your posts here, i sincerely have the feeling that you weren't banned for that reason from maknews.
        So are you still convinced that I'm a spammer?

so lets get to the point. WHY are you posting these links?
        Because I love art and and history....specifically art history. In fact, that's what I'm going to get my degree for, education/history.

I love this shit! I go to museums on a weekly basis!

surely its not because you think they're pretty. you have an agenda, why don't you make it clear so we can get to the core of why you're really here.
        Of course I have a hidden "agenda" (btw, that term is not appropriate within this context.)

off topic - do you dj house music?
        Yeah bro! I spin predominantly electro house, a little minimal, and once in a great while trance.

are you from detroit or windsor?
        Chicago. Doesn't that show up on my postings?

Btw, Windsor has some of the BEST strip clubs in the country! God bless!!!

Bitola is my hometown so it naturally is a place i'm partial to, but Ohrid has some awesome dj's spinning there annually.
        So next time I go to Greece, you think I should hit up Ohrid? Is the electronic scene that big there?

Worth checking out IMHO. I've seen Bob Sinclair, Eric Prydz in Ohrid and Sandra Collins and Marco Mei in BT.

Have no idea who and what you're talking about!

Comment

• Bij
          • Oct 2009

you don't know who bob sinclair is? or eric prydz? sham! sham i tell you! next thing you'll say you don't know who guetta or tiesto are.

no i have no problem with you posting these museums, but that is all you are doing. the same 5 museums. archaeology is bigger than that. you are limiting yourself to resources that prove your point. so what is your point? come out with it already. you'll feel better when you open up. don't worry, this is a safe environment lol

i am more a fan of the written word than fragments of a vase left behind... which i'll post some examples of in a few

Comment

• afterhours
            Banned
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by George S. View Post
            AH you just answered my question to agree to disagree as you are not sure of yourself as you pursue to disclose state sponsored doctrine you are simply skirting around denying things such as that museum or this museum. Your answers are all wishy washy as you keep referring to you museums.the facts are there that the articles are doctored to say this is greek.Greek word for greek never existed before 1832,it's a latin word.You are in denial because you are saying preconceived things that it's Greek when i just told you the word GReek didn't exist prior to 1832.Greece is a fake there are no real greeks anymore.There's only vlachs,slavs,albanians,turks,& Macedonians in your so called GReece!Stop lying to yourself .Your answers are typical state sponsored dogma!.So stop reffering to museums as if they are some infallible thing.
            Hey Geo, you might want to go to every single museum that I've posted and tell them your take on history, and how the Greeks have "doctored facts"!

Greek word for Greek existed way before 1832.....books don't bite!

Whether I have Albanian, Turkish, Slavic, or Vlach blood in me makes absolutely no difference to me! Hellenism is not only restricted to blood bro!

Comment

• Bij
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by afterhours View Post
              The only difference is that those Illyrian and Thracian inscriptions rendered in the Greek script, still represented a foreign language, whereas every inscription from Macedonia is inscribed in one language....the Greek!
              so the top historians of the world can't 100% guarantee what you are saying here, but you state it very confidently. do you know something the scholarly world does not?

Comment

• afterhours
                Banned
                • Sep 2009

you don't know who bob sinclair is? or eric prydz?
                sham! sham i tell you! next thing you'll say you don't know who guetta or tiesto are.
                I know everyone's names that you just dropped, I was just a little cranky and tired when I read the last post.

Tiesto? I know Tiesto! My cousin jut opened for him last week!

no i have no problem with you posting these museums, but that is all you are doing. the same 5 museums.
                I have more museums! And btw, isn't this thread dedicated to archaeology??? What am I doing wrong bro?

archaeology is bigger than that. you are limiting yourself to resources that prove your point. so what is your point? come out with it already. you'll feel better when you open up. don't worry, this is a safe environment lol
                I don't have some kind of hidden agenda or anthing like that! In fact, from the get go, I stated my beliefs, and thus far (a good chunk of you guys have been cool as shit!....with the exception of a few troublemakers) I have been able to study and draw conclusions from threads like these!

i am more a fan of the written word than fragments of a vase left behind... which i'll post some examples of in a few
                Cool!

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Afterhours
                  What points have I neglected exactly? Can you be so kind as to bring these "points" to my attention?!
                  That the Hellenic language was spread far and wide in Asia and Europe as a result of colonies, well before the Macedonian Empire.
                  The first Greek colonies were established in the 8th century.
                  Which one's? Where, in Macedonia?
                  WHAT above 4 questions?????????
                  When? Where in Epirus? Which Hellenes already in Epirus? Which Hellenes from the south?
                  Regardless of wether they were or weren't Greeks....that's a moot point!
                  No, it is the main point. People were later 'Romanized', 'Slavicized', 'Ottomanized', etc. It is a moot point to you because that 'Hellenized' affiliation is all you have to grasp on. It is just one period in Macedonian and Balkan history, over 2,000 years ago. In the bigger picture, that is a moot point.
                  The only difference is that those Illyrian and Thracian inscriptions rendered in the Greek script, still represented a foreign language
                  Which Illyrian inscriptions are you talking about?
                  In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Bij
                    • Oct 2009

abe if you call me bro one more time i will feed your arxidia to my dog. capisce ili non capisce?

archaeology is not just museums!

Comment

• afterhours
                      Banned
                      • Sep 2009

so the top historians of the world can't 100% guarantee what you are saying here,
                      No, they are all prety much in agreement! Sorry to burst your bubble!

but you state it very confidently. do you know something the scholarly world does not?

Fuck no bro! I don't pretend either!

Comment

• Bij
                        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by afterhours View Post
                        No, they are all prety much in agreement! Sorry to burst your bubble!

Fuck no bro! I don't pretend either!
                        prove it please

Comment

• afterhours
                          Banned
                          • Sep 2009

abe if you call me bro one more time i will feed your arxidia to my dog. capisce ili non capisce?

archaeology is not just museums!

Sorry man! I get a little carried away sometimes! Just a habit!

Is "man" ok, or no?

I realize that archaeology isn't just museums....what's your point?

Comment

• Bij
                            • Oct 2009

my point is MAN, your view MAN is very narrow MAN and is only presented MAN to serve your purpose MAN

here is Harold Lamb pg 66 of his book 'Alexander of Macedon' written in 1946, MAN

Note the underlined part from Isocrates MAN. Philip was not actually a Greek MAN according to this source MAN

Comment

• afterhours
                              Banned
                              • Sep 2009

That the Hellenic language was spread far and wide in Asia and Europe as a result of colonies, well before the Macedonian Empire.
                              That hard to phathom?

Which one's? Where, in Macedonia?
                              ????

When? Where in Epirus? Which Hellenes already in Epirus? Which Hellenes from the south?
                              I just gave you like 3 or 4 links in a previous post man! Shall I repost them, and in the process post some more contemporary sources?

No, it is the main point. People were later 'Romanized', 'Slavicized', 'Ottomanized', etc. It is a moot point to you because that 'Hellenized' affiliation is all you have to grasp on.
                              No, I really don't have "Hellenism" to grasp on to!
                              Am I proud of my country? Of course I am...but within reason!

Can't you at least admit that there were a shitload of Greeks in Macedonia prior to the population exchanges?

It is just one period in Macedonian and Balkan history, over 2,000 years ago. In the bigger picture, that is a moot point.

Which Illyrian inscriptions are you talking about?
                              Don't know! Please refresh my memory! These late nights are killing me!!!

Comment

• afterhours
                                Banned
                                • Sep 2009

prove it please
                                Prove what exactly? That the museums that I've cited portray the Macedonians in a certain light? A light that isn't conducive to your take on history?

What you gonna do mang?!

Comment

Working...
                                X