Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gocka
    • Dec 2012

We talked about it actually for a while, and I think its unique, maybe it overlaps in some ways with others but I think for the most part our take is unique, otherwise whats the point. Our take is more along the lines of a community organization that strives to protect and promote Macedonian culture and bring the Macedonian community closer together, and bring about strength through unity. We felt that the Macedonian community need to fall in love with Macedonianism in order to care about the bigger picture. We also wanted to bring about inter community support like you see in other cultures.

I think you said it recently, that the best we can do at the moment is hold a candle for future generations. I think we realized that too.

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
    Victor,

My belated congrats on LOMA. I've only had a brief look at some of your newsletters and website. Just on the cause, has LOMA developed its own definition or has it adopted an existing definition?

Comment

• vicsinad
      • May 2011

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
      We talked about it actually for a while, and I think its unique, maybe it overlaps in some ways with others but I think for the most part our take is unique, otherwise whats the point. Our take is more along the lines of a community organization that strives to protect and promote Macedonian culture and bring the Macedonian community closer together, and bring about strength through unity. We felt that the Macedonian community need to fall in love with Macedonianism in order to care about the bigger picture. We also wanted to bring about inter community support like you see in other cultures.

I think you said it recently, that the best we can do at the moment is hold a candle for future generations. I think we realized that too.
      Vangelovski:

Thanks. Yes, we talked about it and as Gocka says, it overlaps with others. We haven't issued or wrote any document stating, "this is the Cause." I think for now our mission/goals are the best we can do. But it's something we probably may consider doing eventually to give people more of an idea, especially if we get larger.

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
        The future of our people has never been with us, it has and always will be in the hands of our future generations. That is the task that they will be responsible for.

What we are tasked with is to ensure that they have been provided with the best, strongest, and most solid foundations possible on which they can stand, build and lead from. This is what is in our hands and what we are responsible for.
        Last edited by Tomche Makedonche; 05-26-2015, 08:16 AM.
        “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• vicsinad
          • May 2011

Originally posted by Tomche Makedonche View Post
          The future of our people has never been with us, it has and always will be in the hands of our future generations. That is the task that they will be responsible for.

What we are tasked with is to ensure that they have been provided with the best, strongest, and most solid foundations possible on which they can stand, build and lead from. This is what is in our hands and what we are responsible for.
          Surely, we need to set the best, strongest and most solid foundations for future generations. At the same time, we must create, foster and maintain bonds and relationships within the present Macedonian communities because we are also living for the here and now. Further, I also believe it is about respecting, acknowledging, and appreciating our ancestors' struggles regarding Macedonia, their families, and their culture.

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by vicsinad View Post
            Surely, we need to set the best, strongest and most solid foundations for future generations. At the same time, we must create, foster and maintain bonds and relationships within the present Macedonian communities because we are also living for the here and now. Further, I also believe it is about respecting, acknowledging, and appreciating our ancestors' struggles regarding Macedonia, their families, and their culture.
            I was only trying to convey a philosophical perspective that I personally believe should be emphasised universally in relation to what we should consider our role to be in the cause, which in essence can be translated to something as simple as “if you want to build a strong and lasting house, you don’t build it from the roof down, but from the ground up” and it is that hard ground work, including its maintenance, that is most vital to achieving that end goal. To use an example from our own history, I would say the success of Aleksandar III’s campaign was only ever made possible by the foundations created and provided by his father. Likewise I would attribute Aleksandar III’s greatest failure to his inability to further create and maintain those foundations for the next generation to stand and build upon.

The creation and maintenance of strong, principled and respectful bonds within our community (diaspora or otherwise), with an appreciation of our culture and history, as you have expressed, would be considered one of those foundational stones in my opinion. My post was in no way intended as any type of direct or indirect criticism towards LOMA. As I said before, I wish you all the best.
            Last edited by Tomche Makedonche; 05-26-2015, 08:26 PM.
            “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• vicsinad
              • May 2011

Originally posted by Tomche Makedonche View Post
              My post was in no way intended as any type of direct or indirect criticism towards LOMA. As I said before, I wish you all the best.
              I'm sorry I didn't convey what I meant correctly. I did not take your remarks as any form of criticism. I agree with what you wrote. I was just adding my additional views on top of what you gave.

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
                • Oct 2011

I'm sorry I didn't convey what I meant correctly. I did not take your remarks as any form of criticism. I agree with what you wrote. I was just adding my additional views on top of what you gave.
                All good, just thought I should probably clarify in the event the opposite was considered

Comment

• George S.
                  • Aug 2009

It's all good in the end.We don't want to be all criticism.Keep up the goodwork vicsinads.
                  "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                  GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• vicsinad
                    • May 2011

Here is an initiative that LOMA wants to start taking up in the US. But we believe it is also applicable to you in Australia, if you're not already doing this. Hopefully you can help spread the word and maybe get something like this started.

Macedonians Farmer’s Market (Pazar Day)

The League of Macedonian-Americans (LOMA) is a group that, among many things, wants to help bring together and strengthen the Macedonian communities through the United States. We are writing to you regarding a project that the Macedonian churches and cultural centers could initiate in order to help achieve this goal. A copy of this letter is being distributed to several churches in the US, Canada, and Australia, as well as to the community at large.

Our idea is that, once or twice a month during the summer and fall months, the church or cultural center can host a Macedonian Farmer’s (or Gardener’s) Market, similar to a “pazar” in the old country. This daytime event would ideally last two or three hours on a Saturday and could be held outdoors or indoors. People from the Macedonian community who have gardens would bring in their vegetables, fruits and herbs that they have grown and could sell them to whoever shows up and is willing to buy; or they could trade their produce with other growers/sellers. In addition, people could also cook or bake traditional Macedonian foods that they are willing to sell or trade; or they could bring canned and preserved goods to sell or trade.

This event, with the right advertising and marketing, could have the potential to bring many benefits to our Macedonian communities, including:

a) bringing the community together more often to interact with one another;
                    b) encouraging Macedonians to garden more and potentially earn a profit from their hard work;
                    c) encouraging Macedonians to eat healthier and local;
                    d) exposing Macedonians to traditional Macedonian foods more frequently; and
                    e) getting the whole family involved in a fun and meaningful project.

Of course, the logistics and execution of these Farmer’s or Gardener’s Markets will vary from one community to the next. For example, some communities may want to have their market indoors and not outdoors. Other communities might want to expand what is being sold to include meat products or handmade crafts. Some might want to have their market on a different day, and some might want to have it only once a season and make it into a bigger event with music and festivities. Others may want to open the doors to non-Macedonian gardeners and buyers, as well. These differences are good things as they will allow the communities to discover what works best for them.

The setting up of a Farmer’s or Gardener’s Market (or a Pazar Day) would not take too much effort. First, a convenient day and time would need to be found. Second, even though most cultural centers prepare and serve food, the cultural center should contact the appropriate local and state agencies in order to ensure that no additional licensing or requirements are needed. If so, they should ensure that those requirements are met. Third, a small volunteer staff would be needed to help with the set-up and take-down of tables. Fourth, an aggressive advertising and marketing campaign utilizing word-of-mouth, radio programs, and the Internet would need to be implemented in order to make people aware of what is going on.

The success of such a project will depend on many variables, including the size of the community, location of the cultural center or church, the number of volunteers able to help, and how well the marketing and advertising campaign is executed. LOMA is willing to help in whatever way that we can.

Please consider the awesome benefits the Macedonian community would gain by hosting such an event and please spread the word in your community about it so that your community can get something going. If there is any more information you would like from LOMA, or if you have any questions, please e-mail us at [email protected] or [email protected] . You can also message us on Facebook.

Comment

• George S.
                      • Aug 2009

Vicksinads In Australia a this will not work as people grow vegetables for their pleasure and not to sell.The selling od vegitables is not plausible for most people.Things that work in the usa may not work here.Maybe a church fete,stall we don't even have that it won't work People are apathetic it won't work.I can see you are sincerety in the matter.Some people don't go to dances,to church and they hate seeing each other in public.You only got to see the current and past church dispute.Sorry to be a defeatist but that's the way it is.If anything we should lobby the govt for recognition of Macedonia under its constitutional name.
                      Note its a sad state of affairs when people don't even go to dances and bring their kids to dancing groups anymore.If anything only a handful of people would attend functions even if that.In your USA people are probably different.Goodluck with your endeavours in the usa.
                      Last edited by George S.; 05-28-2015, 01:40 PM.
                      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• vicsinad
                        • May 2011

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                        Vicksinads In Australia a this will not work as people grow vegetables for their pleasure and not to sell.The selling od vegitables is not plausible for most people.Things that work in the usa may not work here.Maybe a church fete,stall we don't even have that it won't work People are apathetic it won't work.I can see you are sincerety in the matter.Some people don't go to dances,to church and they hate seeing each other in public.You only got to see the current and past church dispute.Sorry to be a defeatist but that's the way it is.If anything we should lobby the govt for recognition of Macedonia under its constitutional name.
                        Note its a sad state of affairs when people don't even go to dances and bring their kids to dancing groups anymore.If anything only a handful of people would attend functions even if that.In your USA people are probably different.Goodluck with your endeavours in the usa.
                        Thanks for the comments, George. It's very probable that nothing will come out of it in the States, but I'm a little more optimistic than you. I think are communities need to spend more time focusing on positive development rather than dividing; otherwise, what's the point of fighting for Macedonia? So we can enjoy being Macedonian by ourselves?

Just wanted to pass the message along in case there is any interest in that side of the world.
                        Last edited by vicsinad; 05-28-2015, 02:01 PM.

Comment

• Philosopher
                          • Sep 2008

Here is an initiative that LOMA wants to start taking up in the US. But we believe it is also applicable to you in Australia, if you're not already doing this. Hopefully you can help spread the word and maybe get something like this started.

Macedonians Farmer’s Market (Pazar Day)

Please consider the awesome benefits the Macedonian community would gain by hosting such an event and please spread the word in your community about it so that your community can get something going. If there is any more information you would like from LOMA, or if you have any questions, please e-mail us at [email protected] or [email protected] . You can also message us on Facebook.
                          A good idea. You can even consider adding (establishing) festivals, as in Macedonian festivals. I swear, in the summertime, I always see signs for Greek festivals. So why not Macedonian festivals? Food, drink, music...

Comment

• vicsinad
                            • May 2011

Originally posted by Philosopher View Post
                            A good idea. You can even consider adding (establishing) festivals, as in Macedonian festivals. I swear, in the summertime, I always see signs for Greek festivals. So why not Macedonian festivals? Food, drink, music...
                            Thanks. I think some of the communities here have several festivals / gatherings a year. Though we could maybe see if they'd want to tag something like this to those festivals.

Comment

• George S.
                              • Aug 2009

The us could be a different kettle of fish.There is far more patriotism in the usa.
                              We have festivals but hardly anyone goes to.Unless its a rock and roll etc.
                              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• vicsinad
                                • May 2011

Volume 1, Issue 6 is now up:

Comment

Working...
                                X