X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phoenix
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by makedonche View Post
    The day I become a Cats fan is the day you become a Greek!...show me your Greek citizenship and I'll show you my Cats membership...lol
    !
    lol...fark me, I nearly choked on my spanakopita, phile ...I mean zelnik, nashio...

Comment

• makedonche
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
      lol...fark me, I nearly choked on my spanakopita, phile ...I mean zelnik, nashio...
      Phoenix
      Hahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any suggestions for a coach?
      On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• Stojacanec
        • Dec 2009

Actually phoenix, the greeks have a dish called something like spanokopita (?) its basically a sweet, with custard in the middle and pastry on the outer. Do you know anything about that dish of how greek or ungreek it is?

Comment

• Phoenix
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Stojacanec View Post
          Actually phoenix, the greeks have a dish called something like spanokopita (?) its basically a sweet, with custard in the middle and pastry on the outer. Do you know anything about that dish of how greek or ungreek it is?
          Stojacanec, I think you're talking about galaktoboureko...
          It consists of:

Greek style whole milk
          Greek semolina flour
          Greek cornstarch
          Greek style white sugar
          Greek salt
          Greek eggs
          Greek style vanilla extract
          Greek butter
          Greek phyllo dough
          Greek style water

It is a historically iconic dessert of greek origin,so much so that the Turks adopted the term 'bourek' to mean pie or pastry...the dish is the food of the Greek Gods, from which it then spread throughout the middle East where it adopted another play on the famous Greek 'Baklava' name to be known throughout the region as 'Baqlava Muhalabiyya' where the Greeks refused to let the Arabs use Greek rose water in their recipe, so the hapless Arabs had to use non-Greek rose water and hence nobody knows about their recipe in Western Civilization.

Comment

• makedonche
            • Oct 2008

It consists of:

Greek style whole milk
            Greek semolina flour
            Greek cornstarch
            Greek style white sugar
            Greek salt
            Greek eggs
            Greek butter
            Greek phyllo dough
            Greek style water

It is a historically iconic dessert of greek origin,so much so that the Turks adopted the term 'bourek' to mean pie or pastry...the dish is the food of the Greek Gods, from which it then spread throughout the middle East where it adopted another play on the famous Greek 'Baklava' name to be known throughout the region as 'Baqlava Muhalabiyya' where the Greeks refused to let the Arabs use Greek rose water in their recipe, so the hapless Arabs had to use non-Greek rose water and hence nobody knows about their recipe in Western Civilization.
            Looks like I might have to start saving for that Cats membership!
            On Delchev's sarcophagus you can read the following inscription: "We swear the future generations to bury these sacred bones in the capital of Independent Macedonia. August 1923 Illinden"

Comment

• George S.
              • Aug 2009

How about a cats receipe chinese style.Guys the macedoniasn probably created it they just didn't write it down the greeks copied it,hellenised it then it became greek.
              Last edited by George S.; 08-07-2012, 04:09 AM. Reason: ed
              "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Stojacanec
                • Dec 2009

It consists of:

Greek style whole milk
                Greek semolina flour
                Greek cornstarch
                Greek style white sugar
                Greek salt
                Greek eggs
                Greek butter
                Greek phyllo dough
                Greek style water

That's what I thought.

Comment

• Phoenix
                  • Dec 2008

Any suggestions for a coach?
                  Here's my top 6...

1. Malthouse
                  2. Eade
                  3. Choco
                  4. Ken Hinkley
                  5. Mark Harvey
                  6. Garry Hocking

Comment

• United MKD
                    • Jul 2011

Why is Gary Hocking rated so low? He's not that inexperienced or is he just shit?

Comment

• Phoenix
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by United MKD View Post
                      Why is Gary Hocking rated so low? He's not that inexperienced or is he just shit?
                      ...it's just my personal opinion, I think Port needs a high profile coach with experience...you could argue that Hinkley isn't high profile but I think he's highly credentialed and highly respected in the AFL community...maybe Ports best option is to look outside the club, after the Primus fiasco unless Choco is a candidate.
                      With the right mix on the board, I reckon Choco could be the prodigal son...

I've rated Malthouse #1 purely on high profile but then he might not necessarily be the best suited to rebuild Port, perhaps similar arguments can be made for Rocket Eade(?)...that's where Hinkley might be a best fit, experience in developing a list, great mentor, great experience, well respected and very stiff not to have already landed a senior position elsewhere...

Port is a basket case and unless the AFL steps in to finance the new coaching appointment I would imagine that Malthouse may be too expensive.

It will be interesting but Port needs to get it right...

Hocking has been around and coached in different comps including at TAC level and is one of approximately 12 or so former Geelong players or coaches in the AFL system at the moment, so he will be highly regarded but by accepting to coach this rabble for the remaining 4 games, it could destroy his coaching aspirations...it's certainly make or break for Buddha Hocking...
                      Last edited by Phoenix; 08-07-2012, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• makedonche
                        • Oct 2008

...it's just my personal opinion, I think Port needs a high profile coach with experience...you could argue that Hinkley isn't high profile but I think he's highly credentialed and highly respected in the AFL community...maybe Ports best option is to look outside the club, after the Primus fiasco unless Choco is a candidate.
                        With the right mix on the board, I reckon Choco could be the prodigal son...

I've rated Malthouse #1 purely on high profile but then he might not necessarily be the best suited to rebuild Port, perhaps similar arguments can be made for Rocket Eade(?)...that's where Hinkley might be a best fit, experience in developing a list, great mentor, great experience, well respected and very stiff not to have already landed a senior position elsewhere...

Port is a basket case and unless the AFL steps in to finance the new coaching appointment I would imagine that Malthouse may be too expensive.

It will be interesting but Port needs to get it right...
                        Phoenix
                        Some sobering comments there. It's amazing how people outside the circle can quite often shed some light on what would otherwise be a dark and gloomy situation! Interestingly Paul Roos was missing off the list, personally I would have put him at number one! Of the others I would have to agree on the order you nominated.

Comment

• Phoenix
                          • Dec 2008

Phoenix
                          Some sobering comments there. It's amazing how people outside the circle can quite often shed some light on what would otherwise be a dark and gloomy situation! Interestingly Paul Roos was missing off the list, personally I would have put him at number one! Of the others I would have to agree on the order you nominated.
                          I don't think Roos is interested, certainly not in a job like that...
                          I think there's 2 types of coaches that clubs are looking at...
                          1. Development type coaches, who will build a young list
                          and
                          2. The type of coach who can take a team 'in the window' onto the next step

Port needs to do some rebuilding I think, especially if they lose Boak and the other young kid who's name eludes me at the moment. On top of that you probably have to turn over some dead wood...

Further to my point, I think Roos would be a candidate for Carlton if they shafted Ratten, or maybe even a Hardwick at Tigerland if he's viewed as unable to get anymore out of his promising list.
                          the Tiges should be doing much better...

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
                            • Jan 2010

I rarely go EM, although I'm a Geelong member, I prefer to watch the games at home. I usually have friends come over to watch games, so we normally fire up the barbie, have a few drinks and settle in for the game.
                            Friday night football has been identified as a problem night for the GFC and I believe they've put a request to the AFL to have their Melbourne 'home' games (at the 'G' and Etihad) played on Saturdays rather than Friday nights.
                            A guy I work with is an AFL member and goes a fair bit to the footy, when the Cats are playing on a Friday night he always finishes work at 2pm on a Friday afternoon so he can get to the game without rushing like a lunatic...
                            That's fair enough. Having a BBQ and a few drinks while watching on the widescreen is just as good. I'll probably end up doing this for the Hawks vs Gold Coast match. I love going to the G though simply to soak up the atmosphere. I remember when Fev hit the post against the Hawks a few years ago, the sound the MCG produced was out of this world.

Play Fev Off - Fevola chokes and hits the post against Hawthorn 2009 - YouTube

It makes a lot more sense to schedule Geelong games for the weekend and preferably the afternoon time slot. I couldn't imagine heading up to Geelong on a Friday night if the Hawks ever played at Skilled stadium (even though they won't).

Geelong is one of a small number of clubs that hasn't bottomed out or tanked in recent history. Our highest draft pick has been at pick #7...we've had a bit of luck with the father and son rule with the most notable players being Scarlett, Hawkins and that greedy bald headed bastard now playing on the Gold Coast...I think we got Selwood with a pick #7 but many of our other 'stars' were picks in the 20's and 40's...it proves how important recruiting is and once you bring these young kids to the club you have to 'teach' them appropriately, which is made easier if you have your own VFL team...
                            I still remember as a kid thinking of Geelong as a really boring team to watch. I didn't even give them a second thought, but in recent years they have played a brand of football that can and should be respected by the entire AFL community. Now I despise the Cats more than any other team, yet I also respect them more than most teams (except that other bald headed prick Chapman).

The hype is now on the Hawks EM.
                            On friday, Robert Walls wrote (i think it was in The Age) that the Hawks were going to win by 6 goals, then on Saturday on SEN he didn't mention his article the previous day but went on to predict that the Hawks will not lose another game on their way to the flag...I recall David King making similar claims about Collingwood last year, even after the Cats had beaten them twice before...Clarko will do everything he can to deflect the hype from his team but once the football media starts it becomes a frenzy.
                            I'm convinced that they're all a pack of fuckin' morons and they operate with a mob mentality, saw it last year with the Pies and we're starting to see it this year with the Hawks.
                            Yeh, the last time I checked we were back up as premiership favourites. I don't particularly like the hype, but I couldn't give two shits about what Robert Walls thinks. He's an absolute idiot who has had his time in the AFL media...time to move on wallsy. I think it was rather in bad taste for people to write the Cats off against the Hawks. If history is anything to go by, the game was always going to be within a kick or two.

What really annoyed me was the media going on and on about Clarkson punching a hole in the wall. The Channel 7 commentary team is extremely poor and they always manage to surprise me with the amount of rubbish they talk. You're spot on about the media mob mentality.

I reckon you've peaked too early.
                            I said to a friend on Thursday before the game that Geelong will be lucky to get within 2 goals of Hawthorn, considering their relative form lines...I said that if Geelong could 'pinch' a win it could amost derail Hawthorns campaign.
                            You often hear former players say that football is played largely 'above the shoulders', it's a game of 1 percents, I fear that loss to Geelong could be a real mind-fuck for the Hawks, it's a real monkey on their backs and it will be interesting to see how the Hawks go over the next month...
                            I guess time will tell. I'm really looking forward to September to see how we perform when it truly counts.

I can't stand Buddy and I reckon he'd be a nightmare for supporters...everybody raves about him but there's a huge question mark over him (and Jnr Rioli) when it comes to 'consistency' and getting the job done when it really matters...because when things aren't going their way the heads drop and they go 'walkabout'...
                            I agree that consistency is a major issue with cyril and buddy, but their work rate doesn't drop. Cyril has been closely manned and even tagged this season, which has taken a toll on his possession count. The important thing is that he is the kind of player that is able to change the swing of the game with one set of play. As for buddy, he has been in top form since the Richmond game. Prior to that, consistency raised serious questions. People were calling for him to be dropped after the Richmond loss, similar to how Tiger fans are now demanding Jack to be sent down to the seconds. Jnr and Buddy are one of, if not the most dangerous duo in the comp. I'd sure as hell want them in the team week-in-week-out.

My question marks include, your ruck stocks...your 'small' backline, how Buddy fits back into the forward structure AND will your form continue for another 8 weeks...at such a high level, remember amongst the top sides there's only 1 or 2 percent difference between their best performance or just being off the boil...
                            Our rucks are a problem. I'm not sure if Bailey will play in the finals at this stage. I'd probably prefer Hale's experience for this season. Apparently Gilham has been BoG during consecutive matches for Box Hill, so we may see him reintroduced into the team. This should provide additional stability to the backline, and most importantly another tall.

Yeah, you have to be in the top 4 for the best tilt at the flag...especially this year with so many interstate teams in the mix and the issues of home finals and travel
                            I think what makes this year a little different is that there's no stand out team(s)...in 2007 it was Geelong by a country mile...in 2008 it was Geelong again...in 2009 it was Geelong and St Kilda...in 2010 it was Collingwood, St Kilda and Geelong...in 2011 it was Collingwood and Geelong...in 2012 I don't think we've had any stand out teams, maybe Hawthorn will be the one come September but I'm not prepared to give them that credit just yet...
                            The comp this year has been extremely competitive. Not long to wait now. Should be a great finals series. In all honesty, I wouldn't mind playing Geelong in a knock-out final. Sure it'd be easier if we avoided them all-together, but the thought of having an opportunity to end their season brings a smile to every hawks fan.
                            Last edited by EgejskaMakedonia; 08-08-2012, 08:54 AM.

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
                              • Jan 2010

Phoenix
                              Mate if I was Boak I would actually leave now, you couldn't blame him for that!

The day I become a Cats fan is the day you become a Greek!...show me your Greek citizenship and I'll show you my Cats membership...lol

On a lighter note.....New Coach required, New President required...........pretty soon it'll be ...."supporters sacked"......new supporters required! F#$k me dead!
                              Noooo...become a Hawks member. That way nobody has to go for a shite team or become a Grk, everybody's happy!

It consists of:

Greek style whole milk
                              Greek semolina flour
                              Greek cornstarch
                              Greek style white sugar
                              Greek salt
                              Greek eggs
                              Greek butter
                              Greek phyllo dough
                              Greek style water

Hahaha, the Greek salt and Greek rose water did it for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X