Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

"Ἕλληνες οἱ μισθοφόροι οἱ ξὺν Δαρείῳ,(...) καὶ τὸ ἔργον ἐνταῦθα καρτερὸν ἦν, τῶν μὲν ἐς τὸν ποταμὸν ἀπώσασθαι τοὺς Μακεδόνας καὶ τὴν νίκην τοῖς ἤδη φεύγουσι σφῶν ἀνασώσασθαι, τῶν Μακεδόνων δὲ τῆς τε Ἀλεξάνδρου ἤδη φαινομένης εὐπραγίας μὴ λειφθῆναι καὶ τὴν δόξαν τῆς φάλαγγος, ὡς ἀμάχου δὴ ἐς τὸ τότε διαβεβοημένης, μὴ ἀφανίσαι. καί τι καὶ τοῖς γένεσι τῷ τε Ἑλληνικῷ καὶ τῷ Μακεδονικῷ φιλοτιμίας ἐνέπεσεν ἐς ἀλλήλους."
    So what are you waiting for, why haven't you given us your 'version' of the translation based on the above? Does it refute the fact that the Macedonians and Greeks are spoken of as two different people?
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• TerraNova
      Banned
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
      I didn't make the translation, you give me a wikipedia link that anybody could have written, and expect me to take it along with your 'word' at face value over the scholars who published the Campaigns of Alexander translation in the Penguin Classics?
      I pointed you the Original Text of Arrians' Alexandrou Anabasis.
      You pointed me a book named "the campaigns of Alexander"....

Racial rivalry, family rivalry, clan rivalry, the fact remains, the Macedonians and Greeks are on opposite ends. Fact.
      POINT ME THE WORD "RIVALRY" IN THE ORIGINAL TEXT.

POINT ME THE WORD "OLD".

If there AREN'T ANY OF THESE,plz try to be wiser,and when you re totally incapable of reading and understanding the sources remain silent,or apologize.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TerraNova
        I pointed you the Original Text of Arrians' Alexandrou Anabasis.
        You pointed me a book named "the campaigns of Alexander"....
        Terry, I pointed you to a valid and legitimate translation of Arrian's Campaigns of Alexander completed with commentry by scholars and professors, published by Penguin Classics. Re-read the link from googlebooks.

You have provided me with some wikipedia link with a text that any clown such as yourself could have written up. There is no source, no name of the author who put the text online, nothing. Let the readers rate the credibility between a valid translation by scholars published by a distinguished company, compared to a wikipedia link.

POINT ME THE WORD "RIVALRY" IN THE ORIGINAL TEXT.

POINT ME THE WORD "OLD".

If there AREN'T ANY OF THESE,plz try to be wiser,and when you re totally incapable of reading and understanding the sources remain silent,or apologize.
        All I have done is cite a credible translation of a source, what I suggest you do is write to Penguin Classics, J.R Hamilton, Auckland University, and the other scholars involved, and tell them of your great 'revelation' based on a wikipedia link. I am sure even they can appreciate the humour coming from a delude clutching at straws. Be sure to post their response here also, as we too could do with the humour.
        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• TerraNova
          Banned
          • Nov 2008

Terry, I pointed you to a valid and legitimate translation of Arrian's Campaigns of Alexander completed with commentry by scholars and professors, published by Penguin Classics. Re-read the link from googlebooks.

You have provided me with some wikipedia link with a text that any clown such as yourself could have written up. There is no source, no name of the author who put the text online, nothing. Let the readers rate the credibility between a valid translation by scholars published by a distinguished company, compared to a wikipedia link.

All I have done is cite a credible translation of a source, what I suggest you do is write to Penguin Classics, J.R Hamilton, Auckland University, and the other scholars involved, and tell them of your great 'revelation' based on a wikipedia link. I am sure even they can appreciate the humour coming from a delude clutching at straws. Be sure to post their response here also, as we too could do with the humour.
          This "vivid translation" (as it's characterized in the book) is one of the tenths that are made in English.
          I ll ask you for the last time ...can you point me the words for "old" and "rivalry" ?
          Ok...you can't.
          I tell they are just added.

-----------------------------------------------

But even in this translation...can you skip at page.112 ?

There is the speech of Alexander to his troops,before the battle.

"...We of Macedon for generations past have been trained in the hard school of danger and war.
          Above all we are free men ,and they are slaves.
          There are Greek troops ,to be sure, in Persian service-but how different is their cause from ours! They will be fighting for pay- and not much of it at that; we on the contrary shall fight for Greece ,and our heart will be in it.
          As for our Foreign troops-Thracians,Paeonians,Illyrians,Agrianes -they are the best and the stoutest in Europe ,and they will find as their opponents the slackests and softests of the tribes of Asia.
          And what finally of the two men in supreme command? You have Alexander,they-Darius!"

Wow.
          What about a letter to Alexander himself..asking him why he says , WE OF MACEDON...WILL FIGHT FOR GREECE ,and our HEART will be in it!!! ?

Why he names Paeonians (The tribe who inhabited 90% of modern RoM) FOREIGNERS,
          while he puts MACEDONIANS together with other GREEKS??

Why ALEKSANDAR ?

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TerraNova
            This "vivid translation" (as it's characterized in the book) is one of the tenths that are made in English.
            I ll ask you for the last time ...can you point me the words for "old" and "rivalry" ?
            Ok...you can't.
            I tell they are just added.
            For the last time, provide a credible source or stop the blabber. Wikipedia is ok for light reference but when you provide me a text with absolutely no source or name or anything then I will not take it seriously. For the rest of your whining, I already told you,

Do it.

And right on cue, you begin changing the subject to another topic about an Alexander speech. Alexander said and did alot of things to achieve his aims, ancient Greeks didn't buy his propaganda much, the modern hodge-podge that call themselves Greeks today get excited everytime Alexander's name is mentioned in a light where he seems to be playing on Greek sympathy and stupidity. Justinus records a speech of Alexander's that clearly distinguishes Macedonians and Greeks.

Comment

• Spartan
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Spartan View Post
              I have heard that Greece has pledged 50 million to upgrade this highway. Part of some Balkan project where Greek funding comes into play.
              Can anybody verify this?
              If tue, it would be ironic to say the least
              Looks like I found the answer to my own question
              This is from Greek newspaper "H Kathimerini"
              I would just like to say I do not necessarily promote the content of this article.
              I just thought you guys would be interested in reading this

RoM given ultimatum

PM threatens to withdraw funding if ROM officials continue with provocations

Prime Minister Costas Karamanlis yesterday hardened his stance against the Republic of Macedonia (ROM), warning that Greece would block a scheduled investment of 50 million euros toward infrastructure in the neighboring country unless Skopje stops its provocative behavior.

“Let us be entirely clear: As long as a climate of provocation, nationalism and bigotry is cultivated, not one euro will be disbursed,” Karamanlis told Parliament in reference to the 50 million euros Greece has pledged toward the construction of ROM’s section of the pan-European Corridor 10, connecting Serbia in the north to Greece in the south. “The decisions by Skopje, apart from anything else, are jeopardizing the funding, and swift progress, of pan-European Corridor 10,” the premier added. Karamanlis was reacting to the news that ROM’s prime minister, Nikola Gruevski, has decided to name this highway Alexander the Macedon, after the ancient Greek warrior Alexander the Great. The move was criticized by European Union officials earlier this week.

Karamanlis said the decision by officials in Skopje displayed a lack of respect for Greece and its historic heritage and would not win them any friends in the international community. “All they are doing is confirming, in everyone’s eyes, their obstinacy and fixation on a murky past of fanaticism and nationalism,” Greece’s premier said.

Karamanlis added that the development would do little good for Skopje’s European Union and NATO bids. “ROM cannot be accepted if they continue to ignore the basic principles of good-neighborly relations and both alliances have made this very clear,” he said.

The Greek premier also slammed ROM officials for obstructing progress in United Nations-mediated negotiations aimed at solving the Macedonia name dispute. “They have attempted to derail the talks from their focus and to throw up barriers to procedures,” he said.

Foreign Minister Dora Bakoyannis, speaking from Vienna yesterday, said solving the name spat was crucial and criticized Gruevski for his “excessive provocation of the Greek people.”
              Please excuse me if I missed an edit in regards to your nations name
              Warning-The link Im posting below for this article refers to your nation as the F word

A quarter of all Greek women admit to having experienced at least one unwanted pregnancy, according to a survey by the Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine and the Metron Analysis polling agency, released yesterday. This results in 200,000 abortions annually, double the number of births. Seventy percent of girls aged 16-18 said they obtained […]

^^
              Is that more to your liking SoM, lol
              Last edited by Spartan; 01-19-2009, 08:19 PM.

Comment

• Jankovska
                • Sep 2008

Hehe Greece will not pay, what a shame. Who gives a fuck, they are loosing out as well

Comment

• Risto the Great
                  • Sep 2008

I think Macedonia knew exactly what it was doing in relation to this issue. And the Greeks have responded in a way which would have been clearly anticipated.
                  Risto the Great
                  MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                  "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Jankovska
                    • Sep 2008

I thought the money were coming from Europe and not Greece or is Greece Europe now?
                    I am confused

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                      • Sep 2008

Good job Spartan

As for Karamanlijata, the huruni speaks about these euro millions like they are his, personally I like the new name of the highway, it has significance

Comment

• Spartan
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Jankovska View Post
                        I thought the money were coming from Europe and not Greece or is Greece Europe now?
                        I am confused
                        I think Greece has been appointed by the EU to lead and allot funds in some Balkan betterment program. I dont know for sure, but its something like that

Comment

• Jankovska
                          • Sep 2008

I think Greece has been appointed by the EU to lead and allot funds in some Balkan betterment program. I dont know for sure, but its something like that
                          But it's still not Greece's money, they were given the money for it, right?

Comment

• Spartan
                            • Sep 2008

^^
                            Correct, as far as I know its not their money
                            They were put "in charge"(by the EU, i would guess) of the funds, and where in the Balkans it is distrubuted.
                            This is what Ive been told in conversations, so dont take my word as the gospel.
                            I have yet to read any credible source to verify this

Comment

• Venom
                              • Sep 2008

See this is what irks me. The EU, an unelected body comes up out of no where, prints their own money and then decides what's better for people who didn't even have a say in them being leaders.

I wonder if the Macedonia vs Greece issue would have been solved by now if the EU was not involved or didn't exist.
                              S m r t - i l i - S l o b o d a

Comment

• Coolski
                                • Sep 2008

I think Greece has been appointed by the EU to lead.....
                                bahahaha... ok you had me at that.. Europe can see yet another example of where Yunanistan is meant to lead, yet fails miserably for her inability to get over her own nationalism. Yunanistan is a Balkan country in every sense of the phrase. Let us not forget this fact.
                                - Секој чоек и нација има можност да успеат колку шо си дозволуваат. Нема изговор.
                                - Every human and nation has the ability to be as great or as weak as they allow themselves to be. No excuses.

Comment

Working...
                                X