• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TerraNova
    Banned
    • Nov 2008

And some reality check...
    what Alexander himself thought about these mercenaries who fought in Granicus...

from Arrian- Alexandrou Anabasis/Book I

"ἔθαψε δὲ καὶ τοὺς μισθοφόρους Ἕλληνας, οἳ ξὺν τοῖς πολεμίοις στρατεύοντες ἀπέθανον. ὅσους δὲ αὐτῶν αἰχμαλώτους ἔλαβε, τούτους δὲ δήσας ἐν πέδαις εἰς Μακεδονίαν ἀπέπεμψεν ἐργάζεσθαι, ὅτι παρὰ τὰ κοινῇ δόξαντα τοῖς Ἕλλησιν Ἕλληνες ὄντες ἐναντία τῇ Ἑλλάδι ὑπὲρ τῶν βαρβάρων ἐμάχοντο. ἀποπέμπει δὲ καὶ εἰς Ἀθήνας τριακοσίας πανοπλίας Περσικὰς ἀνάθημα εἶναι τῇ Ἀθηνᾷ ἐν πόλει. καὶ ἐπίγραμμα ἐπιγραφῆναι ἐκέλευσε τόδε. Ἀλέξανδρος Φιλίππου καὶ οἱ Ἕλληνες πλὴν Λακεδαιμονίων ἀπὸ τῶν βαρβάρων τῶν τὴν Ἀσίαν κατοικούντων."

"He also buried the Greek mercenaries who were killed fighting on the side of the enemy.
    But as many of them as he took prisoners he bound in fetters and sent them away to Macedonia to till the soil, because, though they were Greeks, they were fighting against Greece on behalf of the Barbarians in opposition to the decrees which the Greeks had made in their federal council. To Athens also he sent 300 suits of Persian armour to be hung up in the Acropolis as a votive offering to Athena, and ordered this inscription to be fixed over them, "Alexander, son of Philip, and all the Greeks except the Lacedaemonians, present this offering from the spoils taken from the Barbarians inhabiting Asia"

For Alexander they were traitors...
    enjoy...

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

On another occasion Arian speaks of a battle between Macedonians and Greeks, where he remarks, the fight was further embittered by that old racial rivalry between Greek and Macedonian.

For the Macedonians, Greeks were another race.
      Enjoy...
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• TerraNova
        Banned
        • Nov 2008

can you point me the exact ORIGINAL GREEK TEXT and the translation ??

which is the word "race" (if there is ) in the original?

γένος,φυλή,έθνος...?

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

Are you doubting the source and/or quote? That is the only translation in English I have seen, if you are in the mood to start twisting words around to suit your propaganda, go for it, I am sure you will make yourself look like a moron in a short while.

Arian explicitly states that the Macedonian and Greek people are different races.
          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

By the way, that "old racial rivalry" seems to be, at leasts in part, reference to the Macedonian victory at Chaeronea, the "disaster for ALL the Greeks", the "disaster for ALL Greece', as said by the ancient authors themselves.

Comment

• TerraNova
              Banned
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
              Are you doubting the source and/or quote? That is the only translation in English I have seen, if you are in the mood to start twisting words around to suit your propaganda, go for it, I am sure you will make yourself look like a moron in a short while.

Arian explicitly states that the Macedonian and Greek people are different races.
              No. i m asking about the quote.
              At least in which book/paragraph is it?

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                • Sep 2008

I don't have the book with me right now, but I will post the section later unless somebody else does first. I have a feeling you have already read this text and are just playing naive, but even that shouldn't get in the way of the truth.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

Found it online, check "Book II, Battle of Issus"

Darius' Greeks fought to thrust the Macedonians back into the water and save the day for their left wing, already in retreat, while the Macedonians, in their turn, with Alexander's triumph plain before their eyes, were determined to equal his success and not forfeit the proud title of invincible, hitherto universally bestowed upon them. The fight was further embittered by the old racial rivalry of Greek and Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                    • Sep 2008

As an offering to the goddess Athena, he sent to Athens 300 full suits of Persian armour, with the following inscription: Alexander, son of Philip, and the Greeks (except the Lacedaemonians) dedicate these spoils, taken from the Persians who dwell in Asia.
                    First of all, this was an offering to Athena, many other non-Greeks made similar offerings to places in Greece, so there is no suprise there. Furthermore, we have the statement of J.R. Hamilton, who is an Associate professor of Classics and Ancient History from the University of Auckland, NZ.

"In view of the small part that the Greeks had played in the battle the inscription (with its omission of any mention of the Macedonians) must be regarded as propaganda designed for his Greek allies. Alexander does not fail to stress the absence of the Spartans."

Alexander, as his father Phillip before him, played games with the ancient Greeks, and in the most comedic fashion you people claim these games as 'evidence' in support of your propaganda.

Comment

• TerraNova
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2008

Found it online, check "Book II, Battle of Issus"
                      "Ἕλληνες οἱ μισθοφόροι οἱ ξὺν Δαρείῳ,(...) καὶ τὸ ἔργον ἐνταῦθα καρτερὸν ἦν, τῶν μὲν ἐς τὸν ποταμὸν ἀπώσασθαι τοὺς Μακεδόνας καὶ τὴν νίκην τοῖς ἤδη φεύγουσι σφῶν ἀνασώσασθαι, τῶν Μακεδόνων δὲ τῆς τε Ἀλεξάνδρου ἤδη φαινομένης εὐπραγίας μὴ λειφθῆναι καὶ τὴν δόξαν τῆς φάλαγγος, ὡς ἀμάχου δὴ ἐς τὸ τότε διαβεβοημένης, μὴ ἀφανίσαι. καί τι καὶ τοῖς γένεσι τῷ τε Ἑλληνικῷ καὶ τῷ Μακεδονικῷ φιλοτιμίας ἐνέπεσεν ἐς ἀλλήλους."

Τhis is the original.
                      The bold is what you translated as "The fight was further embittered by the old racial rivalry of Greek and Macedonian."

Can you point how on earth you translated the original to this ultimately distorted version,adding words that not exist in the source ??
                      Where is "OLD" ? I can't see it. Because there IS NOT!
                      Where on Earth is there "Rivalry" ??

Even more...does "genos" mean "race" ?
                      Some more extracts from the same Book,Arrian II
                      "Αἰακιδῶν γένους."
                      Aiakidon genous =genos of the Aiakids(=a family,clan)

". Ἰφικράτην δὲ φιλίᾳ τε τῆς Ἀθηναίων πόλεως καὶ μνήμῃ τῆς δόξης τοῦ πατρὸς ζῶντά τε ἀμφ' αὑτὸν ἔχων ἐς τὰ μάλιστα ἐτίμησε καὶ νόσῳ τελευτήσαντος τὰ ὀστᾶ ἐς τὰς Ἀθήνας τοῖς πρὸς γένους ἀπέπεμψεν."
                      Here the bones of a dead are sent to his "genos" =FAMILY

"εἶναι γὰρ καὶ αὐτὴν τοῦ μαντικοῦ γένους"
                      "because she is of the diviner's "genos" /genos=kind here.

So genos could mean beginning, origin, descent, clan/tribe, race, kind.

This "translation" was either performed by someone who doesn't have a clue about the Greek language,or it's a sorbid ,pathetic LIE, Piece of a miserable propaganda.
                      Last edited by TerraNova; 01-17-2009, 05:18 AM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

You are a complete joker, this source has been around for several years by that exact translation and now all of a sudden some Greek wombat like yourself thinks he can revise these translations made by professionals?

You post a paragraph in Greek with no link no source and you expect me to take your word for it, after all of the lies you have spread here? What is your source?

What are you arguing here, that the Greeks and Macedonian were not different races, but different clans and/or families? THAT STILL MEANS THEY ARE OF DIFFERENT ORIGINS. Your argument, and the method used, are equally pathetic. Back to the drawing board and stop wasting my time.

Macedonian and Greek are different. Simple.

Comment

• TerraNova
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2008

You are a complete joker, this source has been around for several years by that exact translation and now all of a sudden some Greek wombat like yourself thinks he can revise these translations made by professionals?

You post a paragraph in Greek with no link no source and you expect me to take your word for it, after all of the lies you have spread here? What is your source?

What are you arguing here, that the Greeks and Macedonian were not different races, but different clans and/or families? THAT STILL MEANS THEY ARE OF DIFFERENT ORIGINS. Your argument, and the method used, are equally pathetic. Back to the drawing board and stop wasting my time.

Macedonian and Greek are different. Simple.
                          Here is the ORIGINAL SOURCE.

The complete text of "Alexander's Anabasis" in the original script.

Can you pint me WHERE IN THE TEXT YOU CAN FIND THE WORDS "OLD" AND "RIVALRY" ?
                          Y E S OR N O ??

If NOT ,admit you re a COMPLETE IGNORANT or a LIAR.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                            • Sep 2008

I assumed you were giving a link to the original document.
                            Instead some typed up thing was used. Did Arrian use MS Word for Windows?
                            Risto the Great
                            MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                            "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• TerraNova
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                              I assumed you were giving a link to the original document.
                              Instead some typed up thing was used. Did Arrian use MS Word for Windows?
                              Are you serious?

The "quote" som presented was a single phrase ,without citation,without the original Greek text,without even a Link !!

You want me to send you the papyrus of Arrian via internet?
                              Last edited by TerraNova; 01-17-2009, 07:33 AM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                                • Sep 2008

TerraNova, stop foaming at the mouth.
                                Can you pint me WHERE IN THE TEXT YOU CAN FIND THE WORDS "OLD" AND "RIVALRY" ?
                                Y E S OR N O ??

If NOT ,admit you re a COMPLETE IGNORANT or a LIAR.
                                Are you blind? I cited an online source which is a direct translation from the original. Check again braniac:

I am not Greek, so don't expect me to waste my time creating lies and posting them on the internet.

I didn't make the translation, you give me a wikipedia link that anybody could have written, and expect me to take it along with your 'word' at face value over the scholars who published the Campaigns of Alexander translation in the Penguin Classics? Are you accusing the scholars of lying?

And why have you avoided the following:
                                Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon
                                Racial rivalry, family rivalry, clan rivalry, the fact remains, the Macedonians and Greeks are on opposite ends. Fact.

Comment

Working...
                                X