Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • makedonin
    • Sep 2008

I ain't sure about this, but think that the references in Macedonian Songs about Armenians is rather about the Aromunian and as they call them self in their language, i.e. Armin, Armn.

it is only a thought.
    To enquire after the impression behind an idea is the way to remove disputes concerning nature and reality.

Comment

• Svoliani
      Banned
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by osiris View Post
      hello sydney i thik you will find that the common words are mainly turkish due to our common history as part of the ottoman empire. did you know in bitola before the second wordl war there was abig armenian population in bitola big enough to have their own soccer club
      There is a village called Armenohori near Florina , i wonder if it was founded by Armenians?

Comment

• Rogi
        • Sep 2008

I know that Armenoro (Lerinsko) has a lot of Macedonians, including some hardcore Macedonians. I met many of them when I was there this year.

It also, obviously, now has a number of Pontians.

But I didn't meet anyone of Armenian origin, and in talks about the village, none of the locals told me of any Armenians living there... if it was founded by Armenians, then where did they go? I wouldn't think that the Greeks would have killed them off, with Armenia/Greece being best friends and all.

Comment

• osiris
          • Sep 2008

there are 2 villages in macedonia that were most likely founded or at least settled en masse by armenians, armenovo and armensko, its not known if it was in roman or ottoman times.

Comment

• Rogi
            • Sep 2008

Might've been during the time of Byzantium, where so many Byzantine emperors were of Armenian descent, you could suppose that would've been the time when the Armenians were at their peak

Comment

• osiris
              • Sep 2008

could be rogi, but i dont like using the word byzantine its a historians word made up after the fall of the roman empire, a word alien and not relevant to the the people who lived in it. it was the policy of the romans to deport troublesome populations to other areas of the empire to diffuse the problem, a policy later adopted by the ottomans. according to roman documents of the 13th century quoted by mango in his book on the "byzantine" empire, many slav speaking balkan people stopped off with kinsmen settled in asia minor on their way to pilgramage in jerusalem. what happened to these people is not known did they adopt islam or did their decendents become part of the christian turks who later were to become the "greek" prosfigi.
              Last edited by osiris; 11-13-2008, 04:12 AM.

Comment

• sydney
                • Sep 2008

interesting about the village names. but why is it that we say "ermenija" for armenia? and the armenians call their country (i think) hayastan. so is it likely for armenians settlers to name villages?

hi osiris. i agree that turkish influence is probable for similar words. culturally there's more though, like the oro, we dance it in a very similar way.

Comment

• osiris
                  • Sep 2008

very interesting what you say about the different names for armenia, i didnt know that. stan is an islamic word for sate or nation, i wonder why the armenians would use it.would they have adopted a turkish islamic word, i always thought armenia was the ancient word for their nation. i think that the naming of the 2 villages in question in lerinsko would have been by the other villagers and not the settlers.

i think that it would be hard to know where the origins are and who were the copiers, of the various and many cultural influences in the ottoman empire. but i do see simmilarites not only between the balkan peoples but also between the balkans and the rest of the ottoman empire. if you google the word chorba it says it originated in morroco, i was quite amazed i thought it was a balkan word and dish.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                    • Sep 2008

Osiris, praise the Lords for your contributions to Macedonian consciousness. Just imagine a world where all Macedonians become the same as the Greeks and become ethnocentric idiots.
                    Risto the Great
                    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• osiris
                      • Sep 2008

thanks risto i sincerely appreciate your comment.as you and i have said on mnay occasions we are all humans under the many cultural influences and we macedonians are a very tolerant and understanding nation, we also are not trying to be something that we are not, unlike the wannabees.

Comment

• Coolski
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by sydney View Post
                        i know quite a few. very entrepreneurial, very suspect of greeks, love macedonians, throw a great bbq.
                        My dad told me that he heard on a radio program that the most successful businesspeople (by national, religious or ethnic group) in the world are Armenians, THEN come the Jews and then i think Greeks.
                        - Секој чоек и нација има можност да успеат колку шо си дозволуваат. Нема изговор.
                        - Every human and nation has the ability to be as great or as weak as they allow themselves to be. No excuses.

Comment

• Jankovska
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Coolski View Post
                          My dad told me that he heard on a radio program that the most successful businesspeople (by national, religious or ethnic group) in the world are Armenians, THEN come the Jews and then i think Greeks.
                          Greeks? What about Arabs? Surley they are one of the best in business

Comment

• Risto the Great
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Jankovska View Post
                            Greeks? What about Arabs? Surley they are one of the best in business
                            Hmmm, not sure about Arabs.
                            I think oil has been their saviour.
                            The long forgotten definition of a Greek is simply that they were merchants. They do a pretty good job. Many even sold themselves a new identity in modern times
                            Risto the Great

Comment

• fatso
                              • Sep 2008

This is so fucking hilarious. This beats watching some old hockey fights from the NHL.......loooooooseerrrs

Comment

• Risto the Great
                                • Sep 2008

Hey Fatso, wanna buy a cheap hamburger?
                                Risto the Great

Comment

Working...
                                X