• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phoenix
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by makedonche View Post
    Phoenix
    I can't help but wonder how many more Brownlow's & Premierships the Cats would have if the "Little Master" hadn't left?
    I reckon the greedy bastard would have been on his 3rd Brownlow by now had he stayed at Geelong...and he'd be in the 'Brownlow Window' for another year or two without doubt.
    He's just won a Brownlow with an 8 wins(?) season with GCS...maybe his GCS teammates will start getting more votes themselves in the years to come but without the wins that Geelong has generated per season since he's left the Cats and generally, less wins combined with a greater spread of talented players sharing the votes would make it harder for him to win future Brownlow(s)?

As for flags, I don't think he could have made a difference this year...we were deficient in the ruck and forward positions this year, more so than a need for a quality midfielder, like Wayne Carey says - midfielders are a "dime a dozen" in most sides today.
    In 2012 we were far too inconsistent to be flag contenders but it was ultimately the flag in 2011 that he missed out on.

I think he's missed out on at least 1 extra Brownlow and he's definitely missed out on 1 premiership (2011)...I strongly believe if we can overcome our issues in the ruck next year and get Hawkins right, we'll be a top 4 side again and a genuine contender for another flag so there could be other flags he'll miss.
    On the other hand, who knows how far away from a premiership he is with the GCS...every coach says it's easy to make big jumps from the bottom of the ladder but far harder to make the progression from playing finals football to winning a flag and for the GCS that could still be many years away...
    Last edited by Phoenix; 09-23-2013, 11:56 PM.

Comment

• Phoenix
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Stojacanec View Post
      Freo have been impressive this year. They have been able to squeeze the life out of some teams with record low scores for at least half the game...
      I think people are getting a bit carried away with Freo's performances in this finals series...sure, they've done extremely well but lets put it into perspective. They beat Geelong at Geelong, big bloody deal...Simmonds Stadium is almost identical in size to Freo's ground and with all the well documented issues with Geelong's ruck stocks against Sandilands and playing without Hawkins, Geelong pretty much kicked themselves out of the game and ultimately ruined their GF prospects for 2013.

Freo's prelim final win over Sydney should also be viewed in the proper context, Sydney have been decimated by injury for most of the season and were like a lamb to the slaughter when they faced a rested Freo.

I reckon you're right though, Freo play an intense game for about a half of football and I don't expect anything different against Hawthorn but after half time when the game settles into routine and the Hawks start using their elite ball skills and start to spread Freo all over the expanses of the MCG it will be game over and thanks for coming Freo...

Another interesting battle will be the physicality between the 2 sides but in that battle too I can't see Freo unsettling the unsocial Hawks...

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
        I think people are getting a bit carried away with Freo's performances in this finals series...sure, they've done extremely well but lets put it into perspective. They beat Geelong at Geelong, big bloody deal...Simmonds Stadium is almost identical in size to Freo's ground and with all the well documented issues with Geelong's ruck stocks against Sandilands and playing without Hawkins, Geelong pretty much kicked themselves out of the game and ultimately ruined their GF prospects for 2013.

Freo's prelim final win over Sydney should also be viewed in the proper context, Sydney have been decimated by injury for most of the season and were like a lamb to the slaughter when they faced a rested Freo.

I reckon you're right though, Freo play an intense game for about a half of football and I don't expect anything different against Hawthorn but after half time when the game settles into routine and the Hawks start using their elite ball skills and start to spread Freo all over the expanses of the MCG it will be game over and thanks for coming Freo...

Another interesting battle will be the physicality between the 2 sides but in that battle too I can't see Freo unsettling the unsocial Hawks...
        I like the way you think Phoenix, very analytical approach. You sound like a Hawthorn supporter, intelligent and realistic!

I agree, I think if the Hawks can keep up with Freo during the first half, the game should open up in the 2nd. Once this occurs, it'll be played on Hawthorn's terms. That said, I'm still fairly nervous considering what happened last year. The size of the MCG should favour us, but I'm hoping the unpredictable Melbourne weather holds up too.

Comment

• Phoenix
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by EgejskaMakedonia View Post
          I like the way you think Phoenix, very analytical approach. You sound like a Hawthorn supporter, intelligent and realistic!

I agree, I think if the Hawks can keep up with Freo during the first half, the game should open up in the 2nd. Once this occurs, it'll be played on Hawthorn's terms. That said, I'm still fairly nervous considering what happened last year. The size of the MCG should favour us, but I'm hoping the unpredictable Melbourne weather holds up too.
          EM, your problem will be if the weather turns, if it rains you're not gonna move the ball at will and with speed and it plays into their negative, stifling game style.
          Another problem is if Freo somehow manage to keep the game close I reckon you guys are vulnerable under pressure in BIG games...but having said that, I expect you guys to win quite comfortably...you've been there before, you've tasted the highs and lows of a grand final.
          Freo is new to this or any September action for that matter and I truly wonder if Ross Lyon has a grand final winning game plan...he's been there a few times before with nothing to show for it...
          Last edited by Phoenix; 09-24-2013, 05:43 AM.

Comment

• United MKD
            • Jul 2011

Lol. Not sure what else Freo have to do to get more respect outta you Vics. The obvious is win on Saturday but even if they don't they deserve more respect then you making excuses as to why everyone else was so shit compared to how good they were.

I hope it doesn't rain on Saturday, coz we'll be hearing how it was the weather that won the game for Freo not the actual team.

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by United MKD View Post
              Lol. Not sure what else Freo have to do to get more respect outta you Vics. The obvious is win on Saturday but even if they don't they deserve more respect then you making excuses as to why everyone else was so shit compared to how good they were.

I hope it doesn't rain on Saturday, coz we'll be hearing how it was the weather that won the game for Freo not the actual team.
              Don't worry uMKD, they are getting plenty of respect here at the moment. In fact, one would think they are favourites the way some of the media is carrying on. Nearly every non-Hawthorn supporter here is backing the dockers. Most likely out of jealously of the most successful team of the last 50 years.

I've always had a soft spot for Freo, and have rated them for a number of years now. Still, come Saturday I hope we absolutely smash them.

Comment

• Phoenix
                • Dec 2008

Don't worry uMKD, they are getting plenty of respect here at the moment. In fact, one would think they are favourites the way some of the media is carrying on. Nearly every non-Hawthorn supporter here is backing the dockers. Most likely out of jealously of the most successful team of the last 50 years.

I've always had a soft spot for Freo, and have rated them for a number of years now. Still, come Saturday I hope we absolutely smash them.
                The football media act like lemmings, at this point they're all jumping on the Freo bandwagon and based largely on their 1st half performance against an insipid Sydney...all of a sudden Freo has apparently the greatest ever assembled midfield in the history of the AFL and we're all in fear of being engulfed in the so called 'purple haze'...give me a farkin break...
                Last edited by Phoenix; 09-24-2013, 08:56 AM.

Comment

• Phoenix
                  • Dec 2008

...I've always had a soft spot for Freo, and have rated them for a number of years now. Still, come Saturday I hope we absolutely smash them.
                  Serious, or are you just taking the piss?

Freo have been the most pathetic of all the expansion teams thus far...or was your soft spot for them mostly based on pity?

Comment

• Phoenix
                    • Dec 2008

How else do you judge a team unless you take into account the quality of their opposition.

Sydney have been very poor, Hawthorn demolished them in 1 half of football as well.
                    Geelong played Freo without their key forward and their 3rd and 4th ranked rucks and ultimately it was poor kicking by Geelong that cost them the game.

I don't buy into this idea that Freo have raised the bar with some Ross Lyon inspired holy grail of manic pressure that's never been seen before or that it's even a viable game plan on the MCG against arguably the best possession kicking side in modern football.

Time will tell...good luck, it will no doubt be an interesting battle.

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
                      • Jan 2010

Serious, or are you just taking the piss?

Freo have been the most pathetic of all the expansion teams thus far...or was your soft spot for them mostly based on pity?
                      Nah I'm being serious. I've always preferred them over the eagles. I guess we just don't hear of them much over here (bar this week), so there's no real reason for me to hate them. They've had the talent for a number of years, but haven't had much to show for it until now. I agree though that people are pumping their tyres up far too much at the moment. The bookies paint a more accurate picture, and that is that the Hawks are outright favourites. It really is ours to lose from here.

I'm hoping all this hype gets to their heads. They've never played in front of a crowd this large, so that'll also play a factor.

Comment

• Phoenix
                        • Dec 2008

Nah I'm being serious. I've always preferred them over the eagles. I guess we just don't hear of them much over here (bar this week), so there's no real reason for me to hate them. They've had the talent for a number of years, but haven't had much to show for it until now. I agree though that people are pumping their tyres up far too much at the moment. The bookies paint a more accurate picture, and that is that the Hawks are outright favourites. It really is ours to lose from here.

I'm hoping all this hype gets to their heads. They've never played in front of a crowd this large, so that'll also play a factor.
                        I think it will be a comfortable victory to the Hawks.

EM, what about Buddy, do you think he'll stay or go.
                        I reckon he's gone...and there's a lot of speculation that Clarkson will move into the West Coast job next year (On The Couch, last night).

Theres also premature speculation that Sydney could make a play for Buddy (Footy Classifieds, last night)

Comment

• United MKD
                          • Jul 2011

The football media act like lemmings, at this point they're all jumping on the Freo bandwagon and based largely on their 1st half performance against an insipid Sydney...all of a sudden Freo has apparently the greatest ever assembled midfield in the history of the AFL and we're all in fear of being engulfed in the so called 'purple haze'...give me a farkin break...
                          But that's my whole point - it's not just 'all of a sudden' the writing was on the wall during last year's final series. But as always, interstate teams get ignored throughout the year by the media and public in Victoria.

Anyways, I don't mind if Hawks win. I like them, good side with plenty of talent and likable players - besided Buddy, he's just a cashed up bogan as one chick said once. He'll run for the money at GWS too.

Comment

• Phoenix
                            • Dec 2008

But that's my whole point - it's not just 'all of a sudden' the writing was on the wall during last year's final series. But as always, interstate teams get ignored throughout the year by the media and public in Victoria.

Anyways, I don't mind if Hawks win. I like them, good side with plenty of talent and likable players - besided Buddy, he's just a cashed up bogan as one chick said once. He'll run for the money at GWS too.
                            Perhaps I'm being a bit too harsh on Freo, as a Cats follower we've been dicked by Freo the last 2 years, so I guess they're doing something right to knock off the Greatest Team Of All...

...but I totally agree with you on Buddy, he'll run for the money I reckon, just as that greedy farkin' bald bastard did that won the Brownlow the other night...

...interestingly, it will possibly be ONLY those 2 greedy bastards that have left their (successful) clubs to chase coin with the expansion teams.

It makes me sick when I hear that bald bastard talking about how he grew up in the dressing rooms at Geelong FC, following his ol' man around training and how many of his ex-teammates are still his best friends and how he wished that he shared his 2013 Brownlow with Selwood and all the other crap that the media lap up when interviewing him...he was shitting himself at the Brownlow count when Selwood and Swan looked like they could pinch it, he had the same look on his face when Bartel pipped him for 'Charlie' in 2007, he's all about Gazza and nobody else.

I have a strange feeling we might have seen the best of him, looks like he's on the 'Born Again' trail that ultimately derailed the old man and brother Nathan...
                            Last edited by Phoenix; 09-25-2013, 01:33 AM.

Comment

• EgejskaMakedonia
                              • Jan 2010

I think it will be a comfortable victory to the Hawks.

EM, what about Buddy, do you think he'll stay or go.
                              I reckon he's gone...and there's a lot of speculation that Clarkson will move into the West Coast job next year (On The Couch, last night).

Theres also premature speculation that Sydney could make a play for Buddy (Footy Classifieds, last night)
                              When speculation regarding buddy's future first surfaced I was rather daunted by the prospect of not having him at the club. However over the last few months I haven't really been concerned with the issue anymore. We've positioned ourselves for the worst case scenario, blooding some of the younger forwards and adopting a goal sharing scoring strategy. If he decides to chase the money the main impact will be off-field. Regardless of his inconsistent performances, he is a major marketing asset for the club.

He can do what he wants, but it beats me why someone would jeopardise a forever lasting legacy as a one-club player for a few extra bucks. Crawford has mentioned a few times on the radio that he can't see Buddy attending a million events to promote GWS, and essentially be the face of the new franchise. Bottom line is, the hawks will still be premiership contenders with or without him, and that's all that really matters in the end.

If Sydney even target him I'd be raising some serious questions to the AFL. Their salary cap extension of $900,0000 or so is a joke as it is. They will have a few notable veterans hanging up the boots over the next few years, but I still fail to see where all this money is coming from. The Sydney based teams are the AFL's child. The AFL will bend backwards to please them, all in the name of business.
                              Last edited by EgejskaMakedonia; 09-25-2013, 01:45 AM.

Comment

• Phoenix
                                • Dec 2008

...If Sydney even target him I'd be raising some serious questions to the AFL. Their salary cap extension of $900,0000 or so is a joke as it is. They will have a few notable veterans hanging up the boots over the next few years, but I still fail to see where all this money is coming from. The Sydney based teams are the AFL's child. The AFL will bend backwards to please them, all in the name of business.
                                I think the Sydney rumour was just that tosser Hutchy on Footy Classifieds doing some creative accounting work as a possible way to lure Buddy to the Swans, the move required a logistical nightmare of moving on 3 players to make way for Buddy, one of the players being Mumford, I can't remember who the other 2 guys were but if the 3 were moved on it would free up something in the order of 1.2 million in their salary cap that they could lavish on Buddy. The thinking was that Buddy wants to leave Hawthorn (Melbourne) for a quieter life up north, not so much about a mega pay deal...

Comment

Working...
                                X