• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thessalo-niki
    Banned
    • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Onur View Post
    He might be a good director but this movie is just one of countless materials of anti-Turkish propaganda.

I watched this movie for a long time ago and i don't know where they filmed it but i remember that the Turkey was looking like Arabia.
    In Greece we love it, yet I understand it's anti-Turkish and reflects our brothership towards Armenians.
    Onur,
    I haven't seen more than 5 or 6 Turkish movies. Can you give me a list of Turkish movies that have Greek interest, minor or major references to Greeks, from any historical period of our common past?
    I don't mind if they're negative towards Greeks, as long as they're good films.

Comment

• Onur
      • Apr 2010

Ouzo is made from Aniseed, we have the same thing called Mastika if you want to know more just take a look at the forum member Mastika's avatar thats what the bottle looks like.

Both Raki and Ouzo are grape based alcoholic drinks. Aniseed and mastic are just added aromas to them. Traditional Turkish Raki is always with aniseed. It`s colorless like water and has %45 alcohol. We add cold water and ice when we drink it. It immediately turns white in color when you add water to it. We also have a Raki with mastic aroma. Probably thats what you call Mastika.

Onur, I have heard that the Zorba 'dance' itself was first concoctocted by someone in Anthony Quinn's movie, 'Zorba the Greek'. Can anybody else confirm?
      Thats what i heard as well.

Raki and Ouzo don't have the same taste, Raki is stronger like the Macedonian Rakija, whereas Ouzo is not as 'overbearing', more like the Macedonian Mastika I think.
      The different taste comes from the amount of aromas used in them, otherwise the preparation style is same on both drinks. The ıngredients are quite same as well. I am not sure about the alcohol level in Ouzo tough. Even if Vodka has about same alcohol level as Raki, Raki knocks you down much faster than Vodka. We usually observe this on tourists here . They try Turkish Raki and they drink it like Vodka by ignoring our warning, then they feint by dropping on the floor, lol

Raki is meant to be drink slowly with meze and seafoods or at least with muskmelon. That`s the proper way.

And with a music like this;

YouTube - Hüsnü Şenlendirici ve Trio Chios - Gel Gel Kayıkçı
      This is Greek band from Chios island. Only the klarinet player and the girl is Turkish but it`s OK, since it`s same music
      Last edited by Onur; 07-29-2010, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• thessalo-niki
        Banned
        • Jun 2010

All these dances are some kind of variation of Turkish zeybek(zeibekikos in Greek) dance of Aegean Anatolia. Anatolian immigrants bring this dance to Greece along with all the instruments and music style too. Then they created a faster and more vibrant dance called "Sirtaki" by using zeybek dance figures as base.
        No, this is far from zeibekiko. You can see one (the MOST famous one) in Post#9 (in the first page of the current thread). The mood and meaning of the zeibekiko dance is also totally different.
        I always wondered if current Greeks would have any music and food culture today if there wouldn't be Anatolian immigrants. Probably not.
        Gasp! I don't know much about couisine, but the rest of Greeks had great music also. The music of the 20th century, was formed in the big cities (Athens and Thessaloniki) and most Anatolian immigrants were there and had a huge impact. That was our "low-life" Eastern influence and by 1950s it was already considered respectable. The Western influence, was closer to Italian or (generally) European songs. Below, you can see an example of it.
        While cities were divided between these two types of songs, that were bound to be combined and extended, in the country, people were listening and dancing with the local traditional music.
        YouTube - Sophia Loren, Tonis Maroudas - Ti 'ne afto pou to lene agapi (1957)
        Last edited by thessalo-niki; 08-12-2010, 10:06 AM.

Comment

• thessalo-niki
          Banned
          • Jun 2010

This is Greek band from Chios island. Only the klarinet player and the girl is Turkish but it`s OK, since it`s same music
          This is a very popular song in Greece (Καϊξης, credited to Apostolos Hatzichristos), but I've heard it's a rip-off from a Turkish opera (or something). Is it so? Do you have a link of the original song or turkish version?

Comment

• Onur
            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by thessalo-niki View Post
            Gasp! I don't know much about cousin, but the rest of Greeks had great music also. The music of the 20th century, was formed in the big cities (Athens and Thessaloniki) and most Anatolian immigrants were there and had a huge impact. That was our "low-life" Eastern influence and by 1950s it was already considered respectable. The Western influence, was closer to Italian or (generally) European songs. Below, you can see an example of it.

Well. The video you linked is just represents the popular trends in music at different time periods. In 1950s, French or Italian style was popular in Turkey too;

YouTube - Semiramis Pekkan Saklambac

BUT this doesn't represent our own music culture. This just shows French and Italian influence in our musics at 1950s.

Now, tell me which type of music represents Greece? "Sophia Loren, Tonis Maroudas" OR my video "Kayikci"? You got my point now?

Do you have a link of the original song or turkish version?
            I cant show you the record of first original version because most of these songs composed at 19th century(some even earlier, like 18th century) while your grandparents was still living in Anatolia.

You can find the vinyl records of these songs in this youtube channel. Most of them are recorded by Anatolian immigrants at 1920s in USA.;

Share your videos with friends, family, and the world

************************************************** ***********************

This channel is owned by a member of a Greek band "Thria". They got 15-20 men orchestra and they play original Anatolian music, the classic songs of 18-19-20th century. They play as exactly as Turkish classic music orchestras. This means no buzuki, nor sirtaki. There are Turkish oud, kanoun, kaval, baglama instead.

Here are some videos of their orchestra;

YouTube - smirneikos ballos (Σμυρν*ικος Μπάλλος)
            YouTube - milo mou kai madarini- koniali (Μήλο μου και μανταρίνι - Κόνιαλι)

This is pure old style music of Ottoman era. Only difference is, they sing in Greek but they sometime sings with original Turkish lyrics too... They are quite good, even as good as our own Turkish orchestras.
            Last edited by Onur; 07-29-2010, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• Makedonetz
              • Apr 2010

Both Raki and Ouzo are grape based alcoholic drinks. Aniseed and mastic are just added aromas to them. Traditional Turkish Raki is always with aniseed. It`s colorless like water and has %45 alcohol. We add cold water and ice when we drink it. It immediately turns white in color when you add water to it. We also have a Raki with mastic aroma. Probably thats what you call Mastika.

Thats what i heard as well.

The different taste comes from the amount of aromas used in them, otherwise the preparation style is same on both drinks. The ıngredients are quite same as well. I am not sure about the alcohol level in Ouzo tough. Even if Vodka has about same alcohol level as Raki, Raki knocks you down much faster than Vodka. We usually observe this on tourists here . They try Turkish Raki and they drink it like Vodka by ignoring our warning, then they feint by dropping on the floor, lol

Raki is meant to be drink slowly with meze and seafoods or at least with muskmelon. That`s the proper way.

And with a music like this;

YouTube - Hüsnü Şenlendirici ve Trio Chios - Gel Gel Kayıkçı
              Onur they picked a great selection to shoot that video it looks like San Francisco with that huge bridge. It sure looks nice there Is Chios a heavily Turkish Pop Island?

Ouzo has a strong Black Lickerous (sp) taste i can't stomach it.
              Last edited by Makedonetz; 07-29-2010, 02:01 PM.
              Makedoncite se borat
              za svoite pravdini!

"The one who works for joining of Macedonia to Bulgaria,Greece or Serbia can consider himself as a good Bulgarian, Greek or Serb, but not a good Macedonian"
              - Goce Delchev

Comment

• Onur
                • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Makedonetz View Post
                Onur they picked a great selection to shoot that video it looks like San Francisco with that huge bridge. It sure looks nice there Is Chios a heavily Turkish Pop Island?

Hehe, this place is not Chios, Makedonetz. This is Istanbul-Turkey and it`s bosphorus bridge back there. You can also see the roof of Hagia Sophia at background. This is just middle of a street in a district called Ortakoy, at European side. The opposite side of the bosphorus is Asia.

Chios island is one of closest Greek islands to Turkey`s shore. We can see the car lights in Chios from our coast at Cesme, Izmir-Turkey but I don't think there are Turkish people living in there. When we set sail on little boat to catch some fishes, Greek coastal guards try to terrorize us by claiming that we violate Greek waters!!! ofc, if there is no Turkish coastal guards around. Then people calls Turkish coastal guards by phone and then Greek ones escapes. Sometimes, Greek-Turkish bickering is as stupid as that. Most of the local people in Chios are frequently coming to Turkey tough, even for shopping in groceries since it`s that close. Most of them can speak Turkish too, especially older ones.

But all these bickering was b4 their economical crisis. Now, they promote Chios in Turkey and invite us to go there. Their mayor even invited Turks to buy houses and settle in the island but Greek media branded him as traitor then
                Last edited by Onur; 07-29-2010, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• Makedonetz
                  • Apr 2010

Onur thats true should of picked it up by that building in the background but greeks claim similiar buildings probaly as they were "their own" so its hard to distinguish the real truth!

Its odd they like to harrash you but on the other hand they like to come over to turkey where is the democracy hopefully one day turkish cost guards will hunt them down.

Yeah shows how money talks in Ellada we will screw anyone over but we'll sly them in to get your business. Onur their invites does sound like a political move to maybe sway people over its probaly a political tatic to get in bed sort of with turkey see if you guys would crack
                  Makedoncite se borat
                  za svoite pravdini!

"The one who works for joining of Macedonia to Bulgaria,Greece or Serbia can consider himself as a good Bulgarian, Greek or Serb, but not a good Macedonian"
                  - Goce Delchev

Comment

• Onur
                    • Apr 2010

Originally posted by thessalo-niki View Post
                    In Greece we love it, yet I understand it's anti-Turkish and reflects our brothership towards Armenians.
                    Onur,
                    I haven't seen more than 5 or 6 Turkish movies. Can you give me a list of Turkish movies that have Greek interest, minor or major references to Greeks, from any historical period of our common past?
                    I don't mind if they're negative towards Greeks, as long as they're good films.

Ohh yes. I call it "unholy alliance" for the Greco-Armenian diaspora in USA. If you guys can discover anything common besides Turkish hate, then i can maybe call it "brotherhood" because all they do is spending millions of dollars for anti-Turkish propaganda, nothing else. You know the last one was J-Lo issue in Cyprus. They didn't gain anything proper so far and they cant either, even if they spend billions.

It`s a bit weird but in Turkey, literally anything related with our bad history with Greece is totally ignored for about half a century. It was like nothing happened and like you guys never existed.

Some Greek singers was famous here tough, like Roza Eskinazi and few others and i know that there was some Greek artists in 1960-1970s Turkish movies. I cant even remember any Turkish movie related with our past with the Greeks atm.

So, the situation here was so different then Greece or Armenia. I know that there are evil-Turk image in all of your books for primary school kids but contrary, it seems like Turkish policy preferred to ignore anything related with Greeks.

In the last 5-10 years, there is a strong interest among Turkish people for all over the Balkans tough, especially for Macedonia and Bosnia but most of people still see Greece as a spoiled kid of the EU and mostly ignores.

Originally posted by Makedonetz View Post
                    Yeah shows how money talks in Ellada we will screw anyone over but we'll sly them in to get your business. Onur their invites does sound like a political move to maybe sway people over its probaly a political tatic to get in bed sort of with turkey see if you guys would crack
                    Greek tourism office even giving advertisements to the Turkish tv channels nowadays but most people here is already aware of why they call us now and i don't think many Turkish people goes to their islands. Few of my friends gone to these islands and they say that there are only old people around and it`s mostly deserted except Mikanos. Maybe even Mikanos is deserted this year too, after economic crisis, dunno. Already these are small islands, far away to Greece mainland. It cant be as good as our facilities in Turkey, so why i should go there anyway. We got same Aegean sea and sun already and definitely better sights. Maybe Greek islands can be attractive for other people in but not for us.
                    Last edited by Onur; 07-29-2010, 06:01 PM.

Comment

• Bill77
                      • Oct 2009

Greek traditional folklore costumes. or are they Greek
                      All the photos below are from a site displaying the types of costumes available which you can bye. If anyone is interested in purchasing a fancy dress costume, contact me and i will fwd the link

This first costume is a Asia Minor & Pontos outfit.
                      I swear its the character from the movie Aladin.
                      Very Ali Baba like.

Next we have a costume allegedly from "Epirus".
                      Again, very Arabian like.

Speaking of Albanian. You can't get more Albanian than this.
                      Apparently, its from the Peloponese Region.
                      Check out the Hat. is that not similar the "The Qeleshe" the traditional hat of the various peoples of the Caucaus mountain region that the Albanians claim as their own?

Now you can't get more Turk look than this. Its the "Pasha" look.
                      This comes under the "Aegean Islands & Cyclades" look
                      Last edited by Bill77; 01-13-2011, 06:37 PM.
                      http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

They're the traditional Greek costumes? The first, second and fourth certainly do look like they have a Turkish 'touch' to them.
                        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Makedonska_Kafana
                          • Aug 2010

you must be 60?
                          http://www.makedonskakafana.com

Macedonia for the Macedonians

Comment

• Onur
                            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                            The first, second and fourth certainly do look like they have a Turkish 'touch' to them.
                            Pssstt, no, no, no ...

These are surely from ancient Greek times. If it`s Greek, then it`s at least 4000 year old, didn't you get that yet?

Comment

• Makedonska_Kafana
                              • Aug 2010

Prosfygas

YouTube - Stelios Kazantzidis Konyalı (Κόνιαλης)
                              http://www.makedonskakafana.com

Macedonia for the Macedonians

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                                • Sep 2008

Pssstt, no, no, no ...

These are surely from ancient Greek times. If it`s Greek, then it`s at least 4000 year old, didn't you get that yet?
                                Onur, can you show us some traditional Turkish costumes that resemble the above? I am sure it shouldn't be too hard to find.
                                In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

Working...
                                X