Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Niko777
    • Oct 2010

I think the symbol is somehow connected to the ancient god Apollo who, during the reign of Alexander the Great, was glorified as a sun god under the name Helios. I think the ancient Macedonians had some sort of cult towards the sun, which is why they used the symbol as their own.

Depictions of Helios:

Notice that all depictions look like Alexander the Great. This is probably because many thought Alexander was the sun god.

Comment

• George S.
      • Aug 2009

it would be intersting to know how the macedonians treated the sun as a god or as an object that moved accross the sky??Did macedonians worship the sun & as well make important people like alexander feel they are sun gods.?
      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Niko777
        • Oct 2010

Did macedonians worship the sun & as well make important people like alexander feel they are sun gods.?
        After winning battle after battle Alexander himself thought he was a god. The Macedonians certainly worshiped the sun as well gods identfied with the sun.

Comment

• George S.
          • Aug 2009

Here it is The golden sixteen pointed sun-symbol is an indication that the Ancient Macedonians revered/worshiped the Sun God *ILIY*. So did the proto-Slav Illyrians who lived to the north-west of Makedon, and the *southern* Aegean proto-Slav Pelasgians who lived south of Mt Olymp-us (Note. Mt Olymp-us =Iliy’s Mountain) stretching to the Morea peninsula (modern day Peloponnesus) and inhabiting the Aegean islands. Many millennia later (around 1,600 BC) when the Sub-Saharan / Afro-Asiatic Colonists arrived, they simply jumped on the band-wagon and adopted Iliy for themselves calling him *Hellios* (and many centuries later, around 800 BC, so did the heterogeneous people of the Ancient City-States).
          Filip=Philip/Phillip and Aleksandar/Alexander ARE INDIGENOUS PROTO-SLAVIC (MACEDONIAN) NAMES THAT HAVE REFERENCE TO THE SUN GOD ILIY. THEY ARE NOT SUB-SAHARAN / AFRO-ASIATIC NAMES!
          Philip = Ph-ili-p, Aleksandar = Ale/Ile/Iliy, San > Sun, Dar > gift (Gift of Iliy, the Sun God). *Note > Ilija > a Macedonian *male* name= Ili-ja, and Ilinka = a Macedonian *female name*=Ili-nka. (Also the name of the former Macedonian Foreign Minister)
          The Sub-Sharan/Afro-Asiatic Mycenaean Colonists, the *heterogeneous* people of the Ancient City-States, and the “hybrid” Modern Greeks simply “Hellenized” these names! Eg: Philip = *Phillipos*, Aleksandar = Alexandros, Ilija = Ilias.
          Even the name *Helen* from which is derived *Hellene* has reference to Iliy! Ellena > Helen = Elle = Iliy.
          "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• momce
            Banned
            • Oct 2012

I'd be careful with any research or publications coming out of that looney tune country greece

Comment

• George S.
              • Aug 2009

on the macedonian star or sun symbol.The macedonians had the sixteen rays based on the 16 different tribes of macedonia.The greeks might have had the rays on something else.The greek worship of the sun is nothing new they regarded him as apollo god of the sun.Also there were othergods.But one wonders if they were copies of the macedonian gods?
              So show me where the greeks used their sun symbol in royalty,they neve had used it..
              Someone said that prior to 1988 the greeks never new about the macedonian sun.The greeks were based on the city states & they never used the symbol of themacedonian sun.As i explained the 16 rays represented the 16 different macedonian tribes.So how could the greeks know about that??The best bet is question what you read as the greeks will say they have exclusive ownership on the symbol & that is not true.
              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Bratot
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Niko777 View Post
                I think the symbol is somehow connected to the ancient god Apollo who, during the reign of Alexander the Great, was glorified as a sun god under the name Helios. I think the ancient Macedonians had some sort of cult towards the sun, which is why they used the symbol as their own.

Depictions of Helios:

Notice that all depictions look like Alexander the Great. This is probably because many thought Alexander was the sun god.

Here:

Helios the Sun God: Archaelogical findings of Troy. The symbol of the Macedonian royal lineage is identical to the aura of Helios - the Sun God. St. Elias / Sv. Ilija on his Sun Chariot: The PIE element -*el- in the root originally was a suffix Sol "the sun," c.1450, from L. sol
                The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• George S.
                  • Aug 2009

guy's guy's.Do people know how the name was changed from a macedonian name.The kulesh sun to greek vergina or vergin.Why bring up such a toponym in the first place.The reason is the greeks never before occupied the aegean side as they took it by force.Prior to 1978 anything found on macedonia was denied as according to them macedonians did not exist.
                  Just think when alexander conquered greece he was made the sun god & revered as such part of the dieties.So the actual fact of a sun diety of a macedonian is far important & carries their own macedonian symbol through the ages.There is abounding evidence that the sun was a personal diety when it came to the macedonians.Where as the greeks had various names for their sun god apollo,the greeks did not use the sun insignia as part of the cti states the macedonians used the sun insignia to signify macedonian royalty.
                  GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Redsun
                    • Jul 2013

Didn't know where to appropriately stick this, after reading the first post in this thread I thought perhaps here. Dated March 13

THESSALONIKI, Greece - A Greek archaeologist says she has discovered 20 new burials near Macedonia's ancient capital in northern Greece, and some could tentatively be associated with the early Macedonian kings.

Excavator Angeliki Kottaridi says two of the poorly preserved graves excavated in a cemetery between 2012-2013 "might perhaps be linked" with Alexander I and his son, Perdiccas II.

Both reigned in the 5th century B.C., a century before the most famous ancient Macedonian king, Alexander III the Great.

In a statement Thursday, Kottaridi said the graves at Vergina — believed to be ancient Aegae — were looted and largely dismantled in antiquity. Surviving finds included vases and a sword.

A rich burial excavated decades ago at Vergina has been linked with Phillip II, father of Alexander the Great, although many experts disagree.

Any other news on this?

Comment

• Sweet Sixteen
                      Banned
                      • Jan 2014

You can find a slide show here:
                      Σε μέλη της δυναστείας των Τημενιδών, ακόμα και στον ίδιο τον βασιλιά Κάσσανδρο ή κάποιον από τους γιους του αποδίδει η διευθύντρια της ΙΖ' Εφορείας Προϊστορικών και Κλασικών Αρχαιοτήτων, Αγγελική Κοτταρίδη, την ταφική συστάδα που βρέθηκε στη Βεργίνα.

I submit a Google translation:

Members of the dynasty Temenid, even the King Cassander himself or one of his sons attaches director of Q ' Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities , Angeliki Kottaridi , burial cluster found in Vergina .

Mrs Kottaridi proceeded to "scientifically bold " assumptions about the disclosure of five new royal tombs during his presentation of the afternoon Thursday in archaeological conference AUTH Q. director of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities , Angeliki Kottaridi .

King Cassander was one of the successors of Alexander the Great and husband of his sister , Thessaloniki.

In its Communication entitled "Reformation - emergence of the Royal Necropolis of Goats . Protection and improvement of the cemetery of tumuli and burial cluster Temenid " Mrs Kottaridi announced that Total (since 1996 until today ) 20 tombs dating from the Archaic (first half of the 6th century . ) Until the early Hellenistic period ( late 4th - early 3rd century BC.) .

" We are investigating the cluster Temenid located in the southwest corner of the cemetery of tumuli and marks the route of the ancient road that led from the northwest gate of the city- where the burial cluster of queen - to the area buried by Philip II and D Alexander , son of Alexander the Great and Roxane for the identification of the tomb where no one so far has not raised any objection , "said Mr Kottaridi .

Referring to another tomb said : " Lots of pottery , mainly elegant white urns , features oil chamber of funeral ceremonies , all dating around 420-410 BC , while an iron sword escaped from robbers indicates that the tomb belongs to a warrior , perhaps King Perdiccas II ( 454-413 BC), who had fought hard to retain an independent kingdom in the midst of the Peloponnesian war "

"While everyone is looted tombs , the presence of residual impressive firefights with rich burial offerings ( vessels and weapons ) to withdraw descriptions of the Homeric epics and the size and form of its own monuments led us to connect with family Temenid ."

Excavations of Q ' Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities, which are chaired by Mrs Kottaridi financed under NSRF project .

Earlier, the director of the excavation at Vergina university professor of archeology AUTH (and MEP ) , Chryssoula Paliadeli presented new evidence that the royal tomb at Vergina belongs to King Philip II .
                      By way of answer to a series of scientific data to those - Greeks and foreign colleagues - have at times questioned the scientific conclusions of Manolis Andronikos , Mrs Paliadeli - as head of the university excavation , returned from 2010 until today the review of the skeletal material from tomb II of Great Tumulus at Vergina , reassessing the earlier investigations with the assistance of medical and physicochemical tests.

"For the dead chamber new findings lead to a more precise determination of the age ( 41-49 years) , and identify degenerative , chronic diseases and activity indicators suggest that middle-aged man with strong horsemanship and military activity . These data , in combination with morphological alterations of bone - proving that the deceased was burned immediately after his death - weaken the theory of identification with Philip III Arrhidaios and enhance contrast, the grave of Philip II " argues in his contribution entitled " Skeletal material from the royal tombs of Vergina - Interpretive approaches in anthropological data " " professor Mrs Paliadeli .

Concerning " Still the vestibule ," Mrs Paliadeli argued that " new observations in bones not previously identified accurately identify most , age ( 30-34 years) , which precludes definitive three of the possible matches that have so far been proposed for its identity ( Cleopatra and Midas , women of Philip II and GERD / Eurydice , wife of Philip III ARIDEA ) . Morphological alterations attest that still burned , like the dead of the chamber , immediately after death , while the equestrian activity indicators say they rode for a long time . A fracture at the upper end of the left tibia caused shortening , atrophy and limp in her left leg , leading to the conclusion that the pair of greaves unequal vestibular owned and that most of the male weapons found on the site is hers '.

"These data ," concludes Mr Paliadeli " reinforce old case of NGLHammond for the identification of the dead with an unknown Skythissa , perhaps daughter of King General , without of course exclude the dead in the vestibule to recognize Avdata , wife of Philip II of Illyria . "

" The most important conclusion of the investigation ," he told the Athens News Agency , the head of the university excavation , " in terms of support not only from archaeological and anthropological view that the tomb of the Great Tumulus II to Philip II and the chronology of his death 336 BC . "

Last edited by Sweet Sixteen; 03-14-2014, 08:29 AM.

Comment

• Redsun
                        • Jul 2013

urns.jpg

Thank you SS, When I first heard about the Urns I had to see them, they look nice, the art on the urns are great I have never seen anything like it. Wish they had pictures of the swords.

I failed a picture attachment.

Anyone got a clue on how thick these coins are? http://asset.tovima.gr/vimawebstatic...37EDFDDC7D.jpg
                        From the angle the picture was taken three of them look as thin as Aluminum foil. Does anyone have an idea why some have perfect little holes in them?
                        Last edited by Redsun; 03-14-2014, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• Sweet Sixteen
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Redsun View Post
                          Anyone got a clue on how thick these coins are? From the angle the picture was taken three of them look as thin as Aluminum foil. Does anyone have an idea why some have perfect little holes in them?
                          They are not coins, they're golden rosettes (rodax), jewelries, amulets and small trays.

Last edited by Sweet Sixteen; 03-15-2014, 02:17 AM.

Comment

• George S.
                            • Aug 2009

yes how did the grks aquire those riches,Have they allways been greek or was it after the Balkan wars,also how did they lie their way to say that the general population is not Macedonian,call them slavophones,slavs,.They are indigenous people endopi to the Aegean land.Also I'm not sure but in one of the articles one of the professors said the finds were too fantastic to be greek ellada.As soon as they said that bang he was gone.The claim for a race to be greek at the same time to call itself cannot substantiate itself.reeks ass oon as they found the Macedonian toombs renamed the territories to northern Greece.Then after Macedonia got its independence from Yugoslavia they the greek govt quickly renamed northern Greece to the province of Macedonia.Today we have a conflict supposedly by Greece saying their province Macedonia conflicts with Macedonia as a name for a country rep of Macedonia.ZThis is the biggest lie or furfy ever told on the planet.Maceonia's name is derived from the people identifying & area and its a constitutional name.So Greece has no real basis except to deny & offer lies for their reason to hold Macedonia to ransom.The fact is the greeks have no basis for their land grab in 1912.YOU let Macedonia go into nato & eu Macedonia will spill the beans on Greece of its committed atrocities on the Macedonian nation.What name dispute?? it's only in the greek govt's mind.Made up obstacles to prevent Macedonia from entering the eu etc.
                            +
                            Last edited by George S.; 03-15-2014, 01:40 PM.
                            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Sweet Sixteen
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2014

A British documentary on Vergina excavations, probably from late 1980s.

Macedonia : Documentary on the Ancient Civilization of Macedonia - YouTube

Comment

• George S.
                                • Aug 2009

e know how they the greeks discovered the Macedonian toombs.how did they rename them from kutlesh what does vergina mean Vergin???Kutlesh is the Macedonian name.
                                GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
                                X