X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coastal
    Banned
    • Jun 2010

And here is a list of peasants from Chalkidiki ,Strymon and other regions ,in the 14th century by Maridonna Benvenuti ©2001 Andrea Hicks

(from Peasant Society in the Late Byzantine Empire by Angeliki E. Laiou-Thomadakis, Princeton University Press, 1977, ISBN 0-691-95252-2.)

Note that with the exceptions of some peasants from Skopje and Stip (reasonable) ,all the other have Greek names and surnames.

Comment

• Daskalot
      • Sep 2008

Why are the names of Stefan Cherles and Zegros Radomiros not Greek? They end in -es/-os.......

But somehow Stephen Ursos II is........

What about the guy from OSDRAVIKIN....... is he Greek? Is that village Greek? Where is that village today?

Which was the church in power in the areas you have listed?
      Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Coastal
        Banned
        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Daskalot View Post
        Why are the names of Stefan Cherles and Zegros Radomiros not Greek? They end in -es/-os.......

But somehow Stephen Ursos II is........
        Etymology is not based on the ending.
        All the names above seem of slavic origin (though ursus is the bear in latin i think)

What about the guy from OSDRAVIKIN....... is he Greek? Is that village Greek? Where is that village today?
        I guess it is Draviskos , near Strymon river.

What about the other villages like Monospito, Loroto ,Kamenikeia , Mavro Vouna, Pelorygion ,Drymosita , Potholinos, Neakitou ,Agios Athanasios, Zeugolation ,Karvaioi , Psalida , Stomion (....etc...)??

How these villages with Greek names..inhabited by peasants with Greek names were found in Macedonia...?

What about the 100 medieval peasants ...?

Which was the church in power in the areas you have listed?
        So the byzantine church of the 14th century wanted to hellinize the peasants of southern Macedonia?
        there were not phillelenes or Otto back then )
        Last edited by Coastal; 06-30-2010, 07:01 AM.

Comment

• Daskalot
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Coastal View Post
          What about the other villages like Monospito, Loroto ,Kamenikeia , Mavro Vouna, Pelorygion ,Drymosita , Potholinos, Neakitou ,Agios Athanasios, Zeugolation ,Karvaioi , Psalida , Stomion (....etc...)??

How these villages with Greek names..inhabited by peasants with Greek names were found in Macedonia...?
          It is not so very strange, the East Roman church baptized Roman citizens with East Roman names in accordance with the holy scriptures.

Would the Modern Greek church baptize someone with the name of Muhammed?

The village names could very well be Interpetea Greca by the East Romans.

Monospiti - One House
          Kamenikeia - Stone place
          Agios Athanasios - Saint Athanase
          etc....

It managed to Hellenize the Albanians of the Morea, didnt it not?

Comment

• Coastal
            Banned
            • Jun 2010

It is not so very strange, the East Roman church baptized Roman citizens with East Roman names in accordance with the holy scriptures.

Would the Modern Greek church baptize someone with the name of Muhammed?
            There are Ioannis and Jovan.
            Nikolaos and Dobromir.

The village names could very well be Interpetea Greca by the East Romans.

Monospiti - One House
            Kamenikeia - Stone place
            Agios Athanasios - Saint Athanase
            etc....

It managed to Hellenize the Albanians of the Morea, didnt it not?
            Why then they didnt intrerpet all the villages in Greek...and why not also all the people?Interpret to whom ?

This doesnt even sound like a scenario..i mean its all mixed :medieval East Romans,Athos manuscripts,names of villages,names of people,modern Greek church..all serving one purpose- to prove the existence of Greeks in Macedonia?
            hm...couldnt it be just that Greek speaking Orthodox people in Macedonia existed?

Or we MUST start from the point "they didnt exist at all costs?"...

Comment

• Daskalot
              • Sep 2008

Coastal, sure there were people speaking Romeika in Macedonia, Romeika was the language of the East Roman Empire.

According to modern Greek myths all of Macedonia was/is Greek, this is not true.

I see that you have read Kanchov, do you agree with his findings?

Comment

• Coastal
                Banned
                • Jun 2010

Coastal, sure there were people speaking Romeika in Macedonia, Romeika was the language of the East Roman Empire.

According to modern Greek myths all of Macedonia was/is Greek, this is not true.

I see that you have read Kanchov, do you agree with his findings?
                According to modern Greek myths all of Macedonia was Greek ..according to modern Macedonian myths all was ethnic Macedonian ,according to Bulgarians it was all Bulgarian..and so on..

If i agree with a Bulgarian nationalist of 1910 ? I wouldn't even sign the thesis of a Greek nationalist of the time..or of today!

He can be a useful source though,considering always his prejudice and fixation of the data.

Kanchov acted as a tool of Sofia..in order to prove Macedonia was Bulgarian .
                So he minimized the Greek presence...lowered the population of the Greeks ,failed to find any Serbian in whole Macedonia ,identified all the slavic speakers as Bulgarians ,and failed to find a single ethnic Macedonian.

Do you agree with him ??

Comment

• Daskalot
                  • Sep 2008

The numbers seems to be fairly accurate, he seems to be the only one that did travel all over Macedonia.
                  He found many different peoples in Macedonia, so why do you think he intentionally lowered the numbers of Greeks in Macedonia?

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                    • Jan 2009

I guess the writer of this ..Romance? means the 6 village o Yuruks and the rest Turkish villages..which had a total of 3.000-4.000 people in the 1900s.
                    (some 10%of the population..the other 90% being Greek)
                    Yeah 90% of people who most likely referred to themselves as christians or as whatever socio-labor identity they fell into.

Which are the villages..?
                    Have you read the whole text?
                    I really cannot understand...do the women and children live in this particular territory (which is exactly??) of the Ottoman empire and the men fight under the Venetians ?
                    Makes no sense.

Which are the Armenian villages of Chalkidiki?Can you name ONE?
                    The extent of the info is of this page. Why not research the Armenians and see how far they went in the balkans.

They were Greek speaking Christians with Greek names,who took part in the Greek revolution.
                    And this makes them ethnic "greek" somehow? Look up the name Constantine Christophorides (or Kōnstantinos Christophoridēs) and tell me if this is an ethnic hellene with a hellenic sounding name.

Do you have any evidence for the particular individuals presented ?
                    Do you have any evidence that these are really ethnic "greeks"?
                    Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• Coastal
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by TrueMacedonian View Post
                      The extent of the info is of this page. Why not research the Armenians and see how far they went in the balkans.
                      I bet they went ot Paris too.
                      Let's proclaim Paris Armenian!

And this makes them ethnic "greek" somehow? Look up the name Constantine Christophorides (or Kōnstantinos Christophoridēs) and tell me if this is an ethnic hellene with a hellenic sounding name.

Do you have any evidence that these are really ethnic "greeks"?
                      Greek Orthodox people,having Greek as a mother tongue,writing in Greek,living in villages with Greek names,in a land that ancient people who were speaking Greek lived,and Greek inscriptions found, decribed by foreigners as Greeks,described by travelers from East and West who met them live as Greek...

No...they cannot be Greek-i ll close my ears to all these-i am not fanatic..but this cannot be True.

Oh yes.They are ethnic Macedonians.

or Martians.

-------------

**i ve just read another thread of you TM,where you label a man as ethnic Macedonian on the title of the thread.
                      Do we have any source about the ethnicity of Chryssos ?
                      No ..we don't have an indirect mention in the sources..we don't have an imply...
                      In the sources it is written a direct,loud,and clear ..."VLACH BY BIRTH" .... )))

But ..in the title ..ethnic Macedonian..

You can see what you like to see TM...but i m sorry noone else can see your dellusions! And all -ALL the sources can see the Greeks in Macedonia.
                      Not all the ethnic Macedonians.
                      Last edited by Coastal; 06-30-2010, 06:25 PM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

Coastal, here's a tip, stop writing "ethnic" before Macedonian each time, because you don't do the same for Greeks. You're efforts to manipulate the meaning of the term 'Greek' won't pass here, we've exposed your types time and again, and you mate, are nothing new.
                        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                          • Jan 2009

Greek Orthodox people,having Greek as a mother tongue,writing in Greek,living in villages with Greek names,in a land that ancient people who were speaking Greek lived,and Greek inscriptions found, decribed by foreigners as Greeks,described by travelers from East and West who met them live as Greek...

Oh yes.They are ethnic Macedonians.

or Martians.
                          Ok let's leave the ancient arguement out of this because you have nothing to do with the dead race of ancient hellenes. As much as Lord Byron and his friends told you and your frat house that you are the descendents of Hercules, Thermistocles, or Mr. Clean it's simply not true.
                          All of this supposed "greek" stuff you talk about did not exist to these people. Your country went through thorough hellenization after the war for independence. What crack are you smoking thinking that everything with names ending in "polous" "atos" "tzis" and "lis" are exclusively "greek"?
                          Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• Coastal
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                            Coastal, here's a tip, stop writing "ethnic" before Macedonian each time, because you don't do the same for Greeks. You're efforts to manipulate the meaning of the term 'Greek' won't pass here, we've exposed your types time and again, and you mate, are nothing new.
                            i put it when it can be confused with the geographical term.
                            i respect the rules of the forum,otherwise i wouldnt be here.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                              • Sep 2008

If that's the case then apply the same rule to 'Greeks', it's not about respecting forum rules, its about respecting a nation other than the Greeks, which is the Macedonians. Furthermore, should you be 'confused' by the terminology, then add a prefix to the point of confusion, ie; geographic Macedonians such as the Prosfiga, Albanians, etc.
                              In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                                • Sep 2008

Don't stop there Coastal. There are so many more names Greeks can use. My favourite is Arvanites.

But what about you, using a name like Coastal you are probably implying you are one the few real Greeks who comes from Macedonia. Surely a Coastal Greek from Macedonia would then be Ionian? Is that the one?
                                Risto the Great
                                MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
                                "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

Working...
                                X