Edinstveni Makedonski Zborovi - Unique Macedonian Words (postable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • makgerman
    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Дени View Post
    In Macedonian it means "beam".

The Slovenian grem/greš, on the other hand, is derived from *gręsti and some Aegean dialects (I got to hear it in use on my trip) also have this word!
    Deni, I disagree with you. Relatives of mine from Aegean Macedonia also used the word "gredi" which to them it meant "come/to come".

The word "gredi" is a plural of a "greda" (structural beam).

Comment

• Дени
      • May 2010

Originally posted by makgerman
      Deni, I disagree with you.
      Sorry, I don't think I completely understand.

What you have said is completely in line with my previous posts:

Relatives of mine from Aegean Macedonia also used the word "gredi" which to them it meant "come/to come".
      Originally posted by Дени
      some Aegean dialects (I got to hear it in use on my trip) also have this word!
      The word "gredi" is a plural of a "greda" (structural beam).
      Last edited by Дени; 09-22-2010, 06:26 PM.

Comment

• Дени
        • May 2010

Originally posted by julie View Post
        an iron - "pegla"
        From German Bügel.

Prior to the 50s-60s, only јутија (from Turkish ütü) was used to mean "clothes iron".

Comment

• makgerman
          • Nov 2009

Sorry, I don't think I completely understand.

What you have said is completely in line with my previous posts:
          My point is that the word gredi doesn't only mean "beams" in Macedonian as per your statement:

Most of my relatives didn't refer to beams whenever they used the word gredi.

Comment

• Дени
            • May 2010

My point is that the word gredi doesn't only mean "beams" in Macedonian as per your statement:
            It isn't important, but I said that there was a noun meaning "beam" (as you quoted)... and:

The Slovenian grem/greš, on the other hand, is derived from *gręsti and some Aegean dialects (I got to hear it in use on my trip) also have this word!
            So, the Proto-Slavic *gręsti became grem/greš in Slovenian and греде in Macedonian (all of which are verbs expressing movement).

Sorry for the confusion.

EDIT: Just an additional note that the distribution of this verb extends roughly from the Upper Prespa dialect into the Southwestern dialects.
            Last edited by Дени; 09-23-2010, 05:33 AM.

Comment

• Bratot
              • Sep 2008

How about Gashti?
              The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• Дени
                • May 2010

Originally posted by Bratot View Post
                How about Gashti?
                Гаќи (or the regional variant гашти) is derived from the Proto-Slavic *gatja (most probably from the verb *gati, "to walk").

It's present in some form or another in most Slavic languages and even spread to some Uralic languages:

Serbian гаће, Bulgarian гащи, Slovenian gače, Church Slavonic gaštę, Czech hácě (archaic) and hace (current), Slovak gaťe and gace, Polish gacie, Upper Sorbian haca, Lower Sorbian gaca, Russian гачи (dialectal), Ukrainian гачi, Finnish kaatio, Estonian kaats and kaatsas, and Hungarian gatya.
                Last edited by Дени; 09-23-2010, 06:08 AM. Reason: Added examples

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

I'd like to know more about this.
                  You already do, I called it a characteristic and you were more specific by identifying that characteristic as a nasal vowel. It wasn't 'incorrect', as you were so quick to suggest.
                  The Proto-IE root is *ghrend- also meaning "beam"...................
                  If the PIE root is indeed 'ghrendh', then the word 'grendi' is therefore an older variant of 'gredi' due to the retainment of a certain characteristic. In my experience with Macedonians from the Aegean region, 'gre(a)m' is short for 'gredam' (I go) as 'gre(i)š' is short for 'grediš' (You go), which is in line with what Zrinski said earlier about Slovenian:
                  Originally posted by Zrinski
                  In Slovenian......I go=grem, you go=gresh......
                  Moving on......
                  The Slovenian grem/greš, on the other hand, is derived from *gręsti and some Aegean dialects (I got to hear it in use on my trip) also have this word!...................................

So, the Proto-Slavic *gręsti became grem/greš in Slovenian and греде in Macedonian (all of which are verbs expressing movement).
                  Sorry for the confusion.
                  Perhaps you should apologise twice for your own confusion, as Pokorny's opinion below is based on the PIE root 'ghredh', so you're incorrect about gręsti -> gredi, because it would make more sense for ghredh -> gredi.

Liberal Arts at UT offers over 40 majors and many top-ranked graduate programs in the social sciences and humanities taught by 750 faculty.

Liberal Arts at UT offers over 40 majors and many top-ranked graduate programs in the social sciences and humanities taught by 750 faculty.

<gręsti, grędǫ, grędeši> come, walk [Pokorny ghredh- :: to march, stride]
                  This suggests that 'gredi' is older than 'grendi' - but only if PIE 'ghredh' (stride) is unrelated to or did not derive from PIE 'ghrendh' (beam). Is there a relation between something 'striding' and something 'beaming'? Could they have both derived from PIE 'ghrē' (grow)?

Another interesting example is the word 'cheda' (child), and its older variant 'chenda'. In Proto Balto-Slavic this would have been something like 'kenda' or 'kinda', which in turn would bear relation to the Thracian word 'kentha(s)', perhaps originating from PIE 'ken-' (young).
                  In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                    • Sep 2008

While you're trying to figure out ways to prove us wrong, don't forget to elaborate on your statement below:
                    Slavic migrations are attested by historical records, DNA studies and archaeological excavations
                    Which contemporary historical record from the time cites a mass migration? What DNA studies are you talking about, and which of them genetically connects Macedonians more with people from Russia than their neighbours in the Balkans? What archaeological excavations, and which of those are definitively identified as belonging to a mass group of 'migrating Slavs' as opposed to Avars or some other tribe from north of the Danube?

When I asked you if it is at all possible that the Macedonians may have actually passed on something to the other people of the Balkans, you responded with the following:
                    Not only is it possible, it's true.
                    I am still waiting for you to elaborate. Be specific.
                    Apparently Meillet rules out a connection to Osseriates, but without a copy of his dictionary I can tell you why exactly...
                    Meillet is wrong, and I challenge you to give me credible reasons why eg'hero (PIE) -> ezero (MKD) / ozero (RUS) is unrelated to 'osseria' (ILR). The only way that Illyrian differs is with its devoiced consonant(s), and that is if we are to confidently assume that 'ss' did sound like 's' (or 'sh') in English as opposed to something like 'z' or 'zh'. Did you speak to any ancient Illyrians during your recent trip?
                    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Daniel the Great
                      • Nov 2009

*gati, "to walk").

isn't "пешки" (peshki) the Macedonian word for "to walk" (walk)? Sentence: ајде да одиме на пешки.

I don't think iv'e ever heard of the word "gati".
                      Last edited by Daniel the Great; 10-09-2010, 01:47 AM.

Comment

• Daniel the Great
                        • Nov 2009

"Трчај" (trchaj) which means "run".

Comment

• julie
                          • May 2009

Bratot, isnt "gashti" underpants ?
                          "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• Daniel the Great
                            • Nov 2009

Гаќи (or the regional variant гашти) is derived from the Proto-Slavic *gatja (most probably from the verb *gati, "to walk").

Julie, Deni explained it here, gashti and gajki are underwear/underpants.
                            Last edited by Daniel the Great; 10-09-2010, 05:58 AM.

Comment

• julie
                              • May 2009

cheers , did not read the thread in its entirety, my bad
                              "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• Daniel the Great
                                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by julie View Post
                                cheers , did not read the thread in its entirety, my bad

lol, all good Julie.

Comment

Working...
                                X