Edinstveni Makedonski Zborovi - Unique Macedonian Words (postable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fyrOM
    Banned
    • Feb 2010

ArMakedon da znajs kolku sporo citam po kirilica kamoli da treba da pisam na computer kade celiot razpored e po latinski bukvi. Za zal odkako go pronajdov google toolbar translate uste pomrzliv stanav vo citajne po kirilica. Arno sto ne podsete pribidejki sne na forumot Na Makedonski.

Comment

• Mikail
      • Sep 2008

Guy's, Turkish has not influenced as much as everyone would believe. Macedonians were not forced to speak Turkish during Ottoman rule. The Turks did learn Macedonian so they can speak to Macedonians.

I was told by someone in Ohrid that there are in fact many "Macedonianisms" in the Turkish language and evidence of this is coming out. I will make contact with this fellow and ask him again where he read this.

My own grandparents told me they had heard from their grandparents about how the Turks only spoke to them in Macedonian. My great great grandfather learned Turkish so as to find out what Turkish movements in the region were. Those Macedonians who knew Turkish were within the minute of minorities.

Granted after 550 years we may have picked up something...... but not so many common terms and phrases. The Turks picked up a lot more from our mob than we did from them.
      From the village of P’pezhani, Tashko Popov, Dimitar Popov-Skenderov and Todor Trpenov were beaten and sentenced to 12 years prison. Pavle Mevchev and Atanas Popov from Vrbeni and Boreshnica joined them in early 1927, they were soon after transferred to Kozhani and executed. As they were leaving Lerin they were heard to shout "With our death, Macedonia will not be lost. Our blood will run, but other Macedonians will rise from it"

Comment

• slovenec zrinski
        • Sep 2008

The word is "Прашање, Прашува (Question, questions, questioning)". The equivalent Bulgarian and Serbian terms are : Въпрос / Питање (Question) , Пита / Пита (Questions).

This thread is pretty interesting, i am pretty sure we can dig out/find thousands of unique Macedonian words if we use our heads.

Remember, you can always use google translate to check the Bulgarian, Serbian, Albanian, Greek etc "versions" of the words
        Uprashanje is a slovenian word as well.

Comment

• osiris
          • Sep 2008

I think the word gredam is particular to Egej
          ozi mak its used in the bitola lerin corridor.

all the villages that my paternal village had strong links with both sides of the border used gredam to say i come.

Comment

• fyrOM
            Banned
            • Feb 2010

Your probably right Osiris. I have only lived in Australia so my contact with people has been limited to family and friends and per chance meetings to hear peoples different use of words. I have only heard people from egej use gredam but that doesn’t say much more than I haven’t heard others use it before. I am used to hearing odam and idam. Eg od kade idish.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
              • Sep 2008

Gredi is also used in the Mijak dialect, and in Kostur as Grendi, preserving an older IE characteristic with the retainment of 'n' before the 'd'.
              In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• slovenec zrinski
                • Sep 2008

If I understand correctly you use the word "gredi" to mean "come"?
                In Slovenian "to go" is "iti" but...I go=grem, you go=gresh etc
                Coincident?

Comment

• PetarMKD
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                  Gredi is also used in the Mijak dialect, and in Kostur as Grendi, preserving an older IE characteristic with the retainment of 'n' before the 'd'.
                  Off topic but worth mentioning.

I read somewhere that the possible etymology of greece is derived from the word Gredi as slovenec has confirmed, meaning come... similar to their other name elada from ela - come. So they are definitely newcomers to the Balkan.

Comment

• Дени
                    • May 2010

Incorrect.

This is a nasal vowel.

EDIT: This was a nasal vowel but can still be referred to as such. Modern pronunciation is /ˈɡrɛ̃ndi/.
                    Last edited by Дени; 10-17-2010, 10:23 PM.

Comment

• Дени
                      • May 2010

Deni, are you still among us?
                      Just got back from a long trip.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

Hope you enjoyed it, we have much to discuss now that you're back.
                        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Дени View Post
                          Incorrect.

This is a nasal vowel.
                          What is incorrect? Elaborate and spare me the one-liners.

Comment

• Дени
                            • May 2010

Hope you enjoyed it
                            Thanks. It was great.

What is incorrect?
                            Гре(н)да is derived from *gręda.

In most dialects was denasalized to /e/, but a few in Aegean Macedonian (Kostur, Solun-Voden) have retained the nasal vowel: гренда, чендо, пенток.

Polish is the only other Slavic language which preserves the older nasal vowels: grzęda.

The Proto-IE root is *ghrend- also meaning "beam".
                            Last edited by Дени; 09-21-2010, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• Дени
                              • May 2010

Originally posted by slovenec zrinski View Post
                              If I understand correctly you use the word "gredi" to mean "come"?
                              In Slovenian "to go" is "iti" but...I go=grem, you go=gresh etc
                              Coincident?
                              In Macedonian it means "beam".

The Slovenian grem/greš, on the other hand, is derived from *gręsti and some Aegean dialects (I got to hear it in use on my trip) also have this word!

Comment

• Дени
                                • May 2010

an older IE characteristic with the retainment of 'n' before the 'd'.
                                I'd like to know more about this.

Comment

Working...
                                X