What do Greeks do when they read about Alexander and Phillip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

What do Greeks do when they read about Alexander and Phillip?

Seriously, every historical text spells out the relationship of the Macedonians with the Hellenes. Clearly they were not the same people. Does the average Greek reader merely ignore the historian's assessment and continue to believe in something their current Government propagates instead? I just don't get it.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com
  • Daskalot
    • Sep 2008

they pull out their jesters hat and start pretending it is raining.......
    Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• TerraNova
      Banned
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
      Seriously, every historical text spells out the relationship of the Macedonians with the Hellenes. Clearly they were not the same people. Does the average Greek reader merely ignore the historian's assessment and continue to believe in something their current Government propagates instead? I just don't get it.

And what about you Risto...
      when you re reading a historical text ,memories wake about dedo Alegzandar and dedo Filipov?...

...Let's all try being more serious.
      Last edited by TerraNova; 02-01-2009, 05:49 PM.

Comment

• 1946-1949
        Banned
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by TerraNova View Post
        when you re reading a historical text ,memories wake about dedo Alegzandar and dedo Filipov?...

Come on Terra, when one reads a historic text of ancient Macedonia I immediately think about Gruevski Incorporated.

Comment

• Dejan
          • Sep 2008

I don't know about you guys, but when I read about them, i immediately think about the continuity between the ancient Macedonians and the christian turks who had never stepped foot in Macedonia before 1913, and how they have so much in common...
          You want Macedonia? Come and take it from my blood!

A prosperous, independent and free Macedonia for Macedonians will be the ultimate revenge to our enemies.

Comment

• 1946-1949
            Banned
            • Jan 2009

Sounds like they have the same amount in common as the immigrants that arrived in 600AD.

Comment

• Dejan
              • Sep 2008

Wait...let me go through the evidence of such a migration. Oh, that's right, it's not possible. Evidence doesn't exist.

Do not pass go, go directly back to anatolia...
              You want Macedonia? Come and take it from my blood!

A prosperous, independent and free Macedonia for Macedonians will be the ultimate revenge to our enemies.

Comment

• 1946-1949
                Banned
                • Jan 2009

Using your logic, show us the evidence that there was no migration...

Comment

• Risto the Great
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TerraNova View Post

I don't do that TN. My arguments are based in reality and what we know at this point in time.

But really TN, what do you say to yourself to make you feel better about the fundamental differences between the Macedonians and the Hellenes? Ignorance is not really an excuse.
                  Risto the Great

Comment

• 1946-1949
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2009

For the sake of accuracy, allow me to confirm that when one uses the term Hellenes they are referring to the race of people which were from the city states of Athenians, Spartans, Macedonians, Corinthians etc.

Comment

• Rogi
                      • Sep 2008

1946-1949, when there's a claim or a theory, it needs to be proven.
                      The fact is that the theory of a 'slavic migration' can't be proven.

Even if it could be proven, those arrivals from 500-600AD who mixed with the original inhabitants (read: Ancient Macedonians) have more to do with Macedonia and the ancient Macedonians (having mixed with them over the last 1,500 years) than the 2 million migrants from Asia Minor who came to Macedonia 90 years ago and have not yet had that much of a chance to mix with the original inhabitants, the Macedonians, which is the only way they can in some legitimate way claim a connection to Macedonia and Macedonian history and heritage.
                      Last edited by Rogi; 02-01-2009, 08:28 PM.

Comment

• Rogi
                        • Sep 2008

1946-1949, historical sources disagree with the last claim you just made.

Furthermore, how exactly is your personal opinion or claim relevant in any way and how is that supposed to confirm any accuracy?

Comment

• Risto the Great
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by 1946-1949 View Post
                          Come on Terra, when one reads a historic text of ancient Macedonia I immediately think about Gruevski Incorporated.
                          You don't really.
                          So why spam the forum with silly statements?
                          How about you? When you read of the utter subjugation of the Hellenes by the Macedonians and how they were not considered one and the same, what goes through your mind? Anything other than the flag of Bavaria?
                          Risto the Great

Comment

• 1946-1949
                            Banned
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Rogi View Post
                            1946-1949, when there's a claim or a theory, it needs to be proven.
                            The fact is that the theory of a 'slavic migration' can't be proven.

Even if it could be proven, those arrivals from 500-600AD who mixed with the original inhabitants (read: Ancient Macedonians) have more to do with Macedonia and the ancient Macedonians (having mixed with them over the last 1,500 years) than the 2 million migrants from Asia Minor who came to Macedonia 90 years ago and have not yet had that much of a chance to mix with the original inhabitants, the Macedonians, which is the only way they can in some legitimate way claim a connection to Macedonia and Macedonian history and heritage.
                            The fact that there wasn't a slavic migration cannot be proven either.

The fact that the original inhabitants were of Hellenic ancestry is accepted in academia. Its only small fringe groups that disagree.

The recent population exchanges you are referring to does not mean that there were no Greeks in geographical Macedonia prior to their arrival. There were Greeks, Bulgarians, Serbs, Albanians, Turks, Jews. All have been inhabitants of the region.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by 1946-1949 View Post
                              For the sake of accuracy, allow me to confirm that when one uses the term Hellenes they are referring to the race of people which were from the city states of Athenians, Spartans, Macedonians, Corinthians etc.
                              That would be inaccurate.
                              Alexander's period was described as the Hellenistic period. This is described as such precisely because the Macedonians were not Hellenes. Let me know if you require some lessons in grammar. Or perhaps you simply do not understand either way.
                              Risto the Great

Comment

Working...
                              X