X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spirit
    • May 2015

Originally posted by Karposh View Post
    On a side note, but still very much related, I want to call out the ever prevalent "anglismi" (adopted English words) entering everyday speech in the Macedonian media. "Miksa, Miksirashe" from the English Mix. This is a pet peeve of mine and far from enriching our language, as some have suggested, it cheapens it. I can understand borrowing words from related Slavic-based languages when we are lacking a certain word in our language but to replace words with anglismi when we have perfectly good words to do the job is a shame. What is wrong with "mesha" instead of the made up word of "miksa"? Is there an authority in Macedonia that safeguards our language from such foolish and idiotic practices? Other common anglismi that I often here in the Macedonian media are "stopirashe" & "finishirashe" for zavrshe, zapre or prestana. And they have the nerve to poke fun at Macedonians from Australia or North America when we use such gems as "lajtot", "karot", "stritot" or "shopot" in place of semafor, kola, ulica and prodavnica.
    I had a funny experience back in 2012 when I was in Macedonia. I was at my first cousins place and her husband asked me to transfer photos I had taken on my camera to their computer. The camera was dead and I needed the power cord to plug it in and charge it. Now mind you Macedonian was/ is my first language even though I am born and bred in Australia. The language I learned first was Macedonian 45 years ago, my parents and uncle/auntie having recently immigrated to Australia, they spoke to me in Macedonian as they knew no English and so I learned my parents language and I only learned English when I started school.
    Now I explained to my cousin-in-law that I could not charge the camera right at that point as I needed (and I used the word that I learned all those years ago) the гајтан аnd that it was at my other cousins place.
    My cousin-in-law started laughing at me, I asked what was so funny and he responded "кабел" and looked at me as if I was an uneducated fool.
    I looked at him and said "кабел, навистина" . I told him that was not a Macedonian word but an English word for cord and was astounded that he had the tenacity to correct me with a word that is not a Macedonian word. I also informed him that I was using the correct terminology that learned from my parents years ago.
    I wasn't being rude or anything but I also informed him that in order to appear sophisticated and westernized, Macedonians in the republic are anglicizing Macedonian words. I also told him that it is highly likely his grandchildren will not even in all likelihood be able to read Cyrillic.
    I wasn't being condescending but I also informed him people in the Republic should be proud of their language, culture and heritage and by anglicizing Macedonian words they are doing so at the detriment of the Macedonian language.
    I understand the need for adaptation in a modern world but I also feel that people should not sacrifice their culture in order to appear "modern and intellectual".

Comment

• Phoenix
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
      I had a funny experience back in 2012 when I was in Macedonia. I was at my first cousins place and her husband asked me to transfer photos I had taken on my camera to their computer. The camera was dead and I needed the power cord to plug it in and charge it. Now mind you Macedonian was/ is my first language even though I am born and bred in Australia. The language I learned first was Macedonian 45 years ago, my parents and uncle/auntie having recently immigrated to Australia, they spoke to me in Macedonian as they knew no English and so I learned my parents language and I only learned English when I started school.
      Now I explained to my cousin-in-law that I could not charge the camera right at that point as I needed (and I used the word that I learned all those years ago) the гајтан аnd that it was at my other cousins place.
      My cousin-in-law started laughing at me, I asked what was so funny and he responded "кабел" and looked at me as if I was an uneducated fool.
      I looked at him and said "кабел, навистина" . I told him that was not a Macedonian word but an English word for cord and was astounded that he had the tenacity to correct me with a word that is not a Macedonian word. I also informed him that I was using the correct terminology that learned from my parents years ago.
      I wasn't being rude or anything but I also informed him that in order to appear sophisticated and westernized, Macedonians in the republic are anglicizing Macedonian words. I also told him that it is highly likely his grandchildren will not even in all likelihood be able to read Cyrillic.
      I wasn't being condescending but I also informed him people in the Republic should be proud of their language, culture and heritage and by anglicizing Macedonian words they are doing so at the detriment of the Macedonian language.
      I understand the need for adaptation in a modern world but I also feel that people should not sacrifice their culture in order to appear "modern and intellectual".
      ...lol

Funny story Spirit but sadly very true.
      I think it's common of many diaspora families that when it comes to language we're stuck in a type of time-warp...apart from the usual bastardisation of the language due to English influences from our adopted countries, the Macedonian language spoken by our parents and us today is mostly the same as what our parents spoke all those years ago before they migrated, meanwhile the Macedonian language in the Republic has naturally changed because languages are dynamic and shaped by many outside influences, particularly pop-cultural phenomena.

I had a similar experience to yours with some of my cousins...I joked with them that my choice of words was far more accurate than what they were trying to pass off as modern-Macedonian.

Comment

• Risto the Great
        • Sep 2008

Try speaking an old Lerinsko dialect in Bitola and see the reactions. It is the equivalent in English of sounding like someone saying "what a jolly day this is". I was told I sounded like their grandparents.

The Croats even made a name for Helicopters to avoid Englishisms. Something like an "air-beater" or whatever. But they are miles ahead of Macedonians when it comes to asserting their identity.
        Risto the Great
        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Spirit
          • May 2015

Or how about when they use "corregigash" instead of "поправи"
          Or "ciao" instead of "збогум" or "пријатно".
          I actually asked my vujce how "ciao" became the common word for goodbye since it was Italian. He claimed that there was a really popular foreign movie in years ago (I can't remember if he told me whether it was an Italian film) in Macedonia and ciao became popular after that. It's funny, but everytime I speak to relatives from Macedonia via Skype, they always say ciao and I always respond with збогум or пријатно.
          Another funny experience I had was at a cafe in Bitola. I really needed to use the bathroom and I asked the waiter where the нужник" was. At first I thought he could not hear me due to the crowded atmosphere and this went on for a couple of minutes until I could hear him explain that he did not know what "нужник" was. My first cousin from Australia who was there with me started laughing and advised me that I should use "В Ц" (W C) instead of "нужник" and what do you know, he immediately understood.
          As stated above I understand the need to for adaptation in the modern world and neither am I belittling or condescending the locals but as I also stated above as generations pass the is a good chance that our language will die out or slowly fade away if it is not preserved.

Comment

• vicsinad
            • May 2011

Originally posted by Spirit View Post
            Another funny experience I had was at a cafe in Bitola. I really needed to use the bathroom and I asked the waiter where the нужник" was. At first I thought he could not hear me due to the crowded atmosphere and this went on for a couple of minutes until I could hear him explain that he did not know what "нужник" was. My first cousin from Australia who was there with me started laughing and advised me that I should use "В Ц" (W C) instead of "нужник" and what do you know, he immediately understood.
            I've had a similar experience with this one. I was looking for nuzhnik and until I described what I needed to do, they told me that the 'kloset' was over there.

Comment

• Karposh
              • Aug 2015

The "nuzhnik" one is a classic example. Just like you guys, I actually found out that this was a comical (selski) word to be using when I was in Macedonia way back in 1997. I was at some Ohrid hotel when I asked the hotel janitor if he could tell me where the nuzhnik was. He burst out laughing and asked me if I was from istochna Makedonija (WTF?) for having used such a word. "Ve Tse" (WC) is what I should be using, he explained very softly with a whisper (to save me from any further embarrassment I guess). This is the cool, international way of saying it apparently. I felt like saying to him "Kaj ima za mochajne be?" but I took the high road instead.

It's absolutely insane that words such as nuzhnik, something every Macedonian has been taught to use since childhood, as the polite way to say you need to go to the toilet, are being replaced by made-up bullshit words. I wish I knew why this is seen as a positive thing, i.e. abandoning original Macedonian expressions for pretentious and pompous international expressions. Is it to feel more worldly and cultured (perhaps stemming from some sort of peasant complex)? Who knows.

The beauty of the Macedonian language is that words can be made effortlessly and quite naturally from root words that make perfect sense to Macedonians. For example, nuzhnik is a word which comes from the root word Nuzhda (a need, a necessity or want). I actually make a point of using the word nuzhnik whenever I'm in Macedonia. I refuse to ask for a Ve Tse.

Comment

• Skolovranec
                • Mar 2017

Originally posted by vicsinad View Post
                There's nothing patriotic about attacking defenseless people.
                They had armed guards. Hardly defenseless.
                Anti-EU Pro-Guns National-Libertarian Trekkie Minarchist
                Anti-NATO Pro-United MK Agnostic Secularist Magick Occultist
                Anti-UN Pro-Military Meritocratic Integrationist Altruistic Socio-Darwinist
                Anti-Globalist Pro-Choice Intellectual Pirate Spiritual Vagabond

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
                  • Oct 2011

A Macedonian court in a first-instance verdict on Thursday gave long jail sentences to seven men who almost killed the MP Ziadin Sela when a mob stormed parliament in April 2017.

Macedonia Court Jails Seven for MP's Attempted Murder

A Macedonian court in a first-instance verdict on Thursday gave long jail sentences to seven men who almost killed the MP Ziadin Sela when a mob stormed parliament in April 2017.

The Skopje Criminal Court on Thursday handed heavy jail sentences to seven men for a premeditated murder attempt on Ziadin Zela, an MP and leader of the small opposition Alliance for Albanians.

Nikola Vojminovski got the biggest sentence, of 13 years and six months. Kire Georgievski and Aleksandar Janevski-Tosta were sentenced to 13 years each. Andrej Micov, Nikolce Dimitrievski, Oliver Oshavkovski and Kosta Delov were sentenced to ten years and six months each.

“The accused tried to take the life of MP Ziadin Sela,” the judge said during the reading of the verdict, describing the role of each of them during the savage beating of the legislator.

The defence, which claimed the defendants were not guilty and that the evidence did not prove premeditation, can appeal the first-instance verdict before a higher court.

The trial in this high-profile case began in January this year.

Ten people were initially accused of premeditated murder but the prosecution later withdrew charges against Saso Senkov, citing lack of evidence.

The prosecution also changed the charges against two other defendants, from attempted murder to violence, after which they admitted guilt and got lighter sentences, of a year and two months and three years.

Sela was badly hurt during the April 27 attack on parliament by supporters of the former ruling VMRO DPMNE party, and spent ten days in hospital.

Trouble began after a majority of 67 MPs in the 120-seat parliament elected a new speaker, Talat Xhaferi, which was the next step towards the formation of a new Social Democrat-led government, marking the end of VMRO DPMNE's 11 years in power.

About 100 people, including journalists, MPs as well as current Prime Minister, Zoran Zaev, were injured in the violence.

Despite claims by VMRO DPMNE that the violence was spontaneous, the Organised Crime Prosecution in November raised terrorism charges against more than 20 people, including six VMRO DPMNE MPs, former Interior Minister Mitko Cavkov and other state employees or protest organizers.
                  “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• Pelagonija
                    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Tomche Makedonche View Post
                    http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/arti...ail-07-05-2018

Macedonia Court Jails Seven for MP's Attempted Murder

The Skopje Criminal Court on Thursday handed heavy jail sentences to seven men for a premeditated murder attempt on Ziadin Zela, an MP and leader of the small opposition Alliance for Albanians.

Nikola Vojminovski got the biggest sentence, of 13 years and six months. Kire Georgievski and Aleksandar Janevski-Tosta were sentenced to 13 years each. Andrej Micov, Nikolce Dimitrievski, Oliver Oshavkovski and Kosta Delov were sentenced to ten years and six months each.

“The accused tried to take the life of MP Ziadin Sela,” the judge said during the reading of the verdict, describing the role of each of them during the savage beating of the legislator.

The defence, which claimed the defendants were not guilty and that the evidence did not prove premeditation, can appeal the first-instance verdict before a higher court.

The trial in this high-profile case began in January this year.

Ten people were initially accused of premeditated murder but the prosecution later withdrew charges against Saso Senkov, citing lack of evidence.

The prosecution also changed the charges against two other defendants, from attempted murder to violence, after which they admitted guilt and got lighter sentences, of a year and two months and three years.

Sela was badly hurt during the April 27 attack on parliament by supporters of the former ruling VMRO DPMNE party, and spent ten days in hospital.

Trouble began after a majority of 67 MPs in the 120-seat parliament elected a new speaker, Talat Xhaferi, which was the next step towards the formation of a new Social Democrat-led government, marking the end of VMRO DPMNE's 11 years in power.

About 100 people, including journalists, MPs as well as current Prime Minister, Zoran Zaev, were injured in the violence.

Despite claims by VMRO DPMNE that the violence was spontaneous, the Organised Crime Prosecution in November raised terrorism charges against more than 20 people, including six VMRO DPMNE MPs, former Interior Minister Mitko Cavkov and other state employees or protest organizers.
                    This is so so wrong at every level, Albanians murder for political purposes and get rewarded. Yet some maco fellas beat up a provocateur and they receive draconian sentences.

At the very least they should have received amnesty.

Comment

• Phoenix
                      • Dec 2008

Thought I'd bump this back up...seems a little more real today...

Also...reading the start of this thread, I can see how LOMA have inadvertently given UMD the opportunity to throw some shit...

From April 28 2017 -

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                      ...quick, run and hide...the Russian's are coming.

Fark me...all of a sudden Russia is the problem?

Russia is the least of Macedonia's problems...all of this shit stems directly from the USA and the EU, who are nothing more than a servile extension of US foreign policy.

Have a good fuckin look at what the US is doing all over the world, whether it's in the Middle East, Africa, the Korean Peninsula, Eastern Europe, the Baltic states, Northern Australia and THE BALKANS.

I don't see Russia with 160+ foreign bases spread across the world like some fuckin festering star spangled rash...

I'll give you a tip...Russia has zero involvement in what's taking place in Macedonia...What's happening in Macedonia is the process of the USA accumulating weak and servile states into the western (read USA) sphere of influence (or more to the point, domination)...

You only need to look as far as the recent fast-tracked inclusion of Montenegro into NATO as clear proof of this strategy.
                      Montenegro's NATO membership offers zero net gain for the alliance but what it does it removes Russian influence in Montenegro and ultimately denies the Russian's an Adriatic naval presence/base, it puts a further squeeze on the Serbs and pushes them deeper into a check-mate position on the strategic 'chess board'.

Serbia and Macedonia are the last of the Balkan pawns to fall to the US...Gruevski tried to work in an economic capacity with the Russian's but the USA would have none of that...in Zaev and his shiptar cohort they have the perfect servile puppets to reach their end game.

Zaev will immediately sell the name and the identity of the Macedonian people, this act of treachery will unblock the issues surrounding Macedonia's entry into NATO.
                      Macedonia will be fast-tracked into NATO,whilst Serbia, the last man standing, will have the mother-fucker of all pincer movements applied, until they heel to their American masters...job done...all of Europe under the influence of the USA but nobody will give a rats arse regarding the Macedonian's being wiped off the face of the earth.

*PREDICTION*
                      So you guys can argue all you like about Grujo and blow rays of sunshine up Zajko's arse, but those of you who support Zaev will have to live with the fact that he was the one who wiped the Macedonian's off the face of the earth...you too will be able to rejoice like the natives of the 'new world' when they were offered worthless, shiny beads, in exchange for large swathes of farming land by their colonial overlords...
                      Last edited by Phoenix; 09-27-2018, 06:54 AM.

Comment

• vicsinad
                        • May 2011

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                        Thought I'd bump this back up...seems a little more real today...

Also...reading the start of this thread, I can see how LOMA have inadvertently given UMD the opportunity to throw some shit...

From April 28 2017 -
                        The only thing I see in this thread of worthwhile for UMD to throw shit is that I thought Zaev in power would result in him doing so much harm to the Macedonian Cause that the people would massively revolt. So far, I've been wrong about that.

The real reason for UMD's attacks against us are because my father was a SDS candidate for Diaspora in 2011. UMD told me this in an e-mail, that if we keep on highlighting things about MPO being associated with them, they'll use the fact that my dad was a SDS candidate in 2011 to say that LOMA works for the Zaev government.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

This may have been posted somewhere else, but just for the record, some information from late last year about the DPNE members of parliament involved in the storming of the Macedonian parliament who were granted amnesty - signed by Ivanov. And within a few weeks, the three amnestied morons with their names highlighted in blue below voted in favour of the name change. Another job well done through the combination of duplicitous maggots and spineless speech writers.

Иванов потпиша – амнестијата стапи во сила, Крсто Мукоски нов лидер ќе ви биде на сите

Претседателот Ѓорѓе Иванов го потпиша со указ Законот за амнестија што го изгласа во Собранието откако беше објавен во службен весник и тој целосно стапи во сила. Пратениците ја одобрија амнестијата со 95 гласа „за“ на 18 декември и сите обвинети за случувањата во Собранието на 27 април минатата година имаат рок од пет работни дена да поднесат барање за амнестија. Според овој закон, секој обвинет треба да поднесе барање да биде амнестиран доколку смета дека ги исполнува условите пропишани со овие законски решенија. Последниот збор ќе го дадат судијката и обвинителката во овој предмет, Добрила Кацарска и Вилма Рускоска.

Мукоски, Василевски, Димовски, Арнаудов и Трачуловски добија амнестија 28. ДЕКЕМВРИ 2018.

Пратениците Крсто Мукоски, Сашо Василевски, Љупчо Димовски, Љубен Арнаудов и Јохан Тарчуловски се помеѓу првите обвинети што добија амнестија за крвавиот четврток на 27 април минатата година, пишуваат дел од медиумите. Покрај петте пратеници, амнестија е одобрена и за вработените во кабинетот на поранешниот претседател на Собранието, Елена Божиновска и Иван Цветановски, како и за обвинетиот Захарије Симовски, браќата Стефан и Михаил Младеновски, Митре Питроповски и Илија Славевски. По барањата за амнестија одлучувал Кривичен совет. Други одлуки се очекуваат во текот на утрешниот ден. Од Јавното обвинителство информираа дека пристигнале 66 барања за амнестија, од кои за 12 биле дадени позитивни мислења. Обвинетите на кои ќе им биде одбиено барањето за амнестија имаат рок од 3 дена за жалба по издавање на решението. Од 33 обвинети за 27 април, барање за амнестија не поднесоа само Митко Чавков, Душко Лазаров, Игор Југ, Јане Ченто и Игор Дурловски.
                          Претседателот Ѓорге Иванов рече дека го потпишал Законот за амнестија заради разоткривањето на вистинските цели и намери, а, тоа според него, е уцената,

Иванов: Законот за амнестија го потпишав заради патриотите- 28 декември, 2018

Претседателот Ѓорге Иванов рече дека го потпишал Законот за амнестија заради разоткривањето на вистинските цели и намери, а, тоа според него, е уцената, како и заради патриотите чија ненасилна љубов кон татковината била злоупотребена за други цели. „Овој закон го потпишав не заради големото мнозинство со кое го изгласавте, ниту заради повеќето луѓе кои најверојатно ќе бидат опфатени со амнестијата. Ако вие Законот за амнестија го донесовте заради пратениците со цел да ви поминат уставните измени, јас го потпишав за да ги разоткријам вашите вистински цели и намери, дека оваа амнестија не е за помирување туку за уценување. Со вакво помирување не може да се помири македонскиот народ. Но, законот го потпишав и заради патриотите чија ненасилна љубов кон татковината очигледно била злоупотребена за други цели. Овој Закон за амнестија нека биде сведоштво за двојни стандарди бидејќи двојните стандарди се насилство против правдата. А без правда нема вистинско помирување, без правда нема мир“, рече претседателот Иванов во годишното обраќање пред пратениците во Собранието.

Според него, амнестијата не е за помирување, туку за уценување. Иванов рече дека од таканаречена заробена држава сме станале уценета држава и дека уцената станала основно средство за остварување на целите. Тој додаде дека разликата помеѓу неговите помилувања од 2016 година и актуелната амнестија е во целите. „Мојата цел беше помирување преку помилување, а вашата цел е обезбедување поддршка за уставните измени преку уценување. Додека јас одлуките за помилувања ги донесов за да спречам хаос во државата, вие одлуката за амнестија ја носите за да ги озаконите уцените со кои се создава хаосот и се руши правната држава. Моите помилувања не вклучуваа спречување на постапката за конфискација на нелегално стекнат имот и подразбираше прочистување на македонската политичка сцена и промовирање нови лица во политиката. Вашата амнестија е само уште еден преседан за уцена“, рече претседателот Иванов.
                          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                            • Sep 2008

Regarding the protest in Skopje yesterday, which was arranged in support of the individuals who remain incarcerated after the events at the Macedonian parliament in April 2017. It had the backing of WMC's Todor Petrov and DPNE's Mickoski. Thousands turned out. Given their supposed capabilities, one could ask why they didn't organise the masses for a protest to prevent their fellow politicians from changing the name of the country, but what's the point.
                            https://www.novamakedonija.com.mk/fe...0%D0%B8%D0%BB/

Втор протест за осудените од „27 април“: Пресудите се базираат на лажни сведочења

„Правда за уставобранителите“, беше побарано денеска на протестот за поддршка и правда за осудените од насилниот упад во Собранието на 27 април 2017 година. Протестот, на кој присуствуваа неколку илјади граѓани, започна пред Владата, а заврши пред Собранието. Според организаторите на протестот, обвиненијата за тероризам се политички монтирани и тие бараат од Врховниот суд да го поништи судењето, да ги укине нивните пресуди и да се одржи ново судење, бидејќи сметаат дека пресудите се базираат на лажни сведочења. Протестот е во организција на македонските заедници и организации од дијаспората, а беше поддржан од опозициските партии, меѓу кои ВМРО-ДПМНЕ.

– Револтиран е народот и му е преку глава. Чашата ја прели именувањето на Кацарска за претседател на Уставниот суд. Народот е на ивица на трпение и ако продолжи вака отсутно да се однесуваат Зоран Заев и владата на СДСМ, јас се плашам дека работата ќе се радикализира уште повеќе. Мојата порака до нив е да не си играат со трпението на народот затоа што тоа трпение има и свој крај. Пендаровски ја менуваше својата изјава во неколку наврати, првично рече дека луѓето не се вниновни за тоа што се осудени, и тоа е нашето барање. Тоа е да се врати процесот отпочеток и да се судат за тоа што навистина го погрешиле пред законот, а не за тоа што го нарачал Зоран Заев за да денеска Кацарска стане претседател на Уставниот суд – изјави Христијан Мицкоски, претседател на ВМРО-ДПМНЕ. Ова е втор протест за поддршка на осудените за 27 април во организација на македонски заедници и организации од дијаспората. Првиот протест беше одржан на 25 април.
                            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• VMRO
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                              Regarding the protest in Skopje yesterday, which was arranged in support of the individuals who remain incarcerated after the events at the Macedonian parliament in April 2017. It had the backing of WMC's Todor Petrov and DPNE's Mickoski. Thousands turned out. Given their supposed capabilities, one could ask why they didn't organise the masses for a protest to prevent their fellow politicians from changing the name of the country, but what's the point.
                              The last two protests that were held were financed and mainly organised by Bobby Temelkov from Canada (WMC representative for Canada).

I believe it's a strategy as due to COVID restrictions anyone in Macedonia being the organiser would find themselves in court.

I also believe the presence of Mickoski there would definitely deter people going to future protests as stooges like him use this type of events to bolster their image of being a patriot.
                              Verata vo Mislite, VMRO vo dushata, Makedonia vo Srceto.

Vnatreshna Makedonska Revolucionerna Organizacija.

Comment

Working...
                              X