X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DedoAleko
    • Jun 2009

The invention of the "Slavic" fairytale

Basil Chulev-The invention of the "Slavic" fairytale (From the monk Foma to "South-Slavia" )
  • Dejan
    • Sep 2008

I found this to be a good read. I like how it has been summed up.

Excellent to have as a document that can be shared also
    You want Macedonia? Come and take it from my blood!

A prosperous, independent and free Macedonia for Macedonians will be the ultimate revenge to our enemies.

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

It was a good read.
      Something new was the Old Macedonian bible that the French Kings used in their coronations. Clearly all things Slavonic were not always thought of as lowly.

Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Amphipolis
        Banned
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
        It was a good read.
        Something new was the Old Macedonian bible that the French Kings used in their coronations. Clearly all things Slavonic were not always thought of as lowly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reims_Gospel
        Hmmm... this manuscript has a 1395 note saying:

"The Year of Our Lord 1395. These Gospels and Epistles were written in the Slavic language ... the other part was written by the hand of St. Procopius, abbot, and this text was offered by Charles IV, Emperor of the Romans, to the Slavic monastery, in honor of Saint Jerome and Saint Procopius, God, please give him eternal rest. Amen."

... and all this is in a thesis trying to persuade us that the term Slavic is a misunderstanding introduced in the 1800s. The above note dates this manuscript from 1300s back to even 1000 AD (though this may be just a myth) and the location of the "Slavic monastery" could be Croatia, Bulgaria, Russia or Prague.

I don't see any reference or interest in the content, which makes me assume that this is not unique but a fragmented copy of an already saved translation of the Bible in Old Church Slavonic (but of which version, I wonder?).

Comment

• Amphipolis
          Banned
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by PDF-File View Post
          It is noted and well documented that St. Jerome used Glagolitic script back at 4th and the beginning of the 5th
          century, 5 centuries before pretended "invention" of the Cyrillic script
          Actually, it is not documented at all, it is considered a mythical tradition and there are no documents (or logic) behind it. More here:

(use Ctrl+F Jerome)

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
            Hmmm... this manuscript has a 1395 note saying:

"The Year of Our Lord 1395. These Gospels and Epistles were written in the Slavic language ... the other part was written by the hand of St. Procopius, abbot, and this text was offered by Charles IV, Emperor of the Romans, to the Slavic monastery, in honor of Saint Jerome and Saint Procopius, God, please give him eternal rest. Amen."

... and all this is in a thesis trying to persuade us that the term Slavic is a misunderstanding introduced in the 1800s. The above note dates this manuscript from 1300s back to even 1000 AD (though this may be just a myth) and the location of the "Slavic monastery" could be Croatia, Bulgaria, Russia or Prague.

I don't see any reference or interest in the content, which makes me assume that this is not unique but a fragmented copy of an already saved translation of the Bible in Old Church Slavonic (but of which version, I wonder?).
            What are you trying to say?
            Please show me how "slavic" was written by the Bohemian monk in his postscript.

Further, none of this detracts from the reverence given to this document by French royalty. The point being (as stated previously) all things Slavonic were not always thought of as lowly.
            Risto the Great
            MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
            "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Amphipolis
              Banned
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
              What are you trying to say?
              Please show me how "slavic" was written by the Bohemian monk in his postscript.
              This is Chinese to me, but my guess is that it may probably be in the left page of this. Can you read it at all?

Maybe this can help (it also has a pdf file in Croatian)

Edit: It includes this (is it a transliteration of the original? or a translation?)

Kolofon Reimskoga evanđelistara prema čitanju g. Vlatka Bilića 2010.:

LET G(OSPOD)N(I)H •1•3•9•5 { TATO E(VAN)J(E)LIE A EP(ISTO)LIE •
              JESTO SU PISANI SLOVJANSKIM JAZ(I)KEM • TI JMAJI SPIEVANI
              BITI N(A) GODI • KDIŽ OP(A)T POD KORUNU MŠI SLUŽI {{
              A DRUGA STRANA TIEHTO KNIŽEK • JENŽ JE PODLE RUSSKEGO Z(A)K(O)NA •
              PSAL JE S(VA)TI PROKOP OP(A)T SVU RUKU •
              A TO PISMO RUSSKE DAL NEBOŽTIK KAREL • ČTVRTI
              C(A)R RZIMSKI KO SLAVJANI TOMUTO KL(A)ŠTRU •
              A KE CTI SVATEMU JERONIMU • I SVATEMU PROKOPU {
              GOSPODINE RAČ MU DATI POKOJ VIEČNI AMEN •

GOD = veliki blagdan, Božić ili Uskrs (u današnjemu češkom jeziku: Hod Boži vanočni i Hod Boži velikonočni)
              NEBOŽTIK = pokojnik
              KE CTI = na čast
              RAČ MU DATI = udostoj mu se dati

This link gives also a good summary and mentions the books (of 1800s or recent) that have analysed this manuscript.

Reims Gospel, Реймське євангеліє; Reimske yevanheliie, reference work, Internet Encyclopedia of Ukraine, Інтернетова Енциклопедія України (ІЕУ), Ukraine, Ukraina, Україна

Lastly, the book that Wikipedia uses as a reference is a 1100 pages long 1850s French book on early Christian inscriptions, but it can be found online here:

=====
              Last edited by Amphipolis; 01-13-2016, 02:15 AM.

Comment

• Redsun
                • Jul 2013

What I understand, based on Wikipedia.

The first part was written in Glagolitic and believed to have been written by the hand of St. Procopius, the “origin” of the manuscript is not certain. The older part was “”probably”” written in calligraphy on the island of Krk, or in a monastery in Bulgaria, Bohemia, Ukraine, or Russia.

It is unknown who the author is and when it was written.

How old is the Glagolitic part?

Why was it not completed in the Glagolitic text?

How did Charles IV acquire it?

St. Procopius lived between 970 – 1053, 150 years before the fourth crusade.

I don’t understand why it wasn’t completed around the time it was first written, if the monk/priest/whatever while writing it died, wouldn’t a fellow disciple within the monastery where it was written (where ever that may have been) finish it around the same time period.

Why wasn’t it completed? Was it looted by soldiers that couldn’t complete it in Glagolitic.

Perhaps the story of St. Procopius as author is a fabrication, a more satisfactory story of acquisition than theft.

Basil Chulev - Beside, the Cyrillic alphabet wasn’t created at all by SS. Cyril and Methodius, but was simply adapted Glagolitic script which was used by all Macedonic eparchies around Europe.

I enjoyed reading "the invention of the "slavic" fairy tale" I found it very easy to understand and well presented
                Last edited by Redsun; 01-15-2016, 04:50 AM.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

An interesting article in which the author makes some good points, but I would question his opinion on a few things, such as the origin of the term 'Pravoslavni' and the supposed absurdity of the centum-satem language divide of Indo-European.
                  In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

Working...
                  X