X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Romania - Living the dream in the EU

Kate's dazzling dress is made in Romanian 'sweatshop' by women on just 99p an hour

Costing 175 on the high street, it helped the Duchess of Cambridge outshine the First Lady.
    But the Reiss dress that made such an impression when the pair met this week was manufactured by women paid only 99p an hour in a poor suburb of the Romanian capital, the Daily Mail has discovered.

The camel-coloured ‘Shola’ design was produced for less than 15 by seamstresses earning significantly less than the average salary for textile workers in the Eastern European nation.

British fashion chain Reiss is one of the Duchess’s favourite brands. After she wore the dress to meet Barack and Michelle Obama, demand for it surged, causing the company’s website to crash and the dress to sell out within 24 hours.

It has been advertised for 600 on eBay and a 30 copy is being prepared by Tesco.Yesterday Reiss announced that the dress will be re-released in five to six weeks.

But that glamour is a far cry from the bleak working conditions of those who made it in Bucharest.

The 170 employees of clothing firm Rimcor Ex work in a factory which resembles an industrial compound, with bars on the windows, 8ft walls and solid metal fences around the periphery.

It is a block away from a high-rise Romany gipsy commune which last year became home to one of the world’s youngest mothers, apparently aged ten when she became pregnant with her cousin’s baby.

This week the Mail witnessed a half-naked child of about six picking his way through mounds of rotting food, and a dead kitten in pools of stagnant water nearby.

Locals said toddlers scavenged for food and their parents found scraps to sell, before returning to makeshift shelters.

One dressmaker said the typical 168-a-month salary for workers at the factory was above the country’s minimum wage.

But according to the nation’s National Institute for Statistics, it is 22 a month below the average net salary for the clothing industry in Romania, which joined the European Union in 2007.

Another worker, 44-year-old Juliana Haita, described conditions as ‘good’ and added: ‘This is normal for me. I’m used to it.’ But she said the workshop overheated in summer, when temperatures top 86f (30c). When that happens, workers are allowed an extra half-hour break.

Mrs Haita has repeated the same menial tasks on garment after garment each day for the past 15 years.

There is no suggestion that working conditions at Rimcor Ex are below-par for the former communist nation. But while the sweatshops of Bangladesh and India were now carefully avoided by ethical firms, textile manufacturing has shifted to Eastern Europe, experts said.

Many of the women who filed out of the factory gates this week barely knew who Prince William’s wife was, let alone that they were behind her outfit.

On being shown a picture of Kate alongside Mrs Obama at Buckingham Palace on Tuesday, Mrs Haita said: ‘It’s really nice that a small thing that I do here gets into a ballroom somewhere in the world.’

The Shola is estimated to have cost under 15 to make, but the mark-up – including materials, shipping and marketing – gives it a price tag of 175.

The factory’s owner, Ioan Palea, 59, said last night: ‘This was a normal production for the spring season.

‘I had an inspection from the Work Ministry on Monday and Tuesday and they said everything was okay.’

But Greg Muttitt, of anti-poverty charity War on Want, said yesterday: ‘Kate Middleton has made a point of supporting British fashion – sadly, it appears, at the expense of overseas workers.

‘If Kate really wants to back UK fashion, she ought to check that the people who make her clothes earn a living wage. And the Government must introduce regulation to stop UK retailers exploiting workers abroad.’

Sharan Burrow, of the International Trade Union Confederation, added: ‘Foreign companies buying from Romania should help make sure that the people who make the products get a fair deal.’

Reiss was founded in London 40 years ago by entrepreneur David Reiss, 67, who is now worth 125million. While other British stores have sold off parts of the company to foreign investors, Reiss is one of a dying breed of High Street fashion chains that can still claim to be 100 per cent British-owned.

Coming soon to yet another sold out country
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Maybe its just me, but I bet some Macedonians might not be willing to sell their arses (AND IDENTITY) for the high life evidenced above.
    Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

I used to think Pippa, but Kate still has something going on btw
      Risto the Great

Comment

• Vangelovski
        • Sep 2008

I don't know RtG, that Romanian worker looks like she's better fed than Kate
        If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

You make a point.
          I can see it now ... Gruevski says:

"Lets get fat together in the EU"
          Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

C'mon CT, UMD ... whoever ... give me a cheer for EVROPSKA MAKEDONIJA !
            Risto the Great

Comment

• vodenka
              • Mar 2009

Whoever disagrees for Macedonia to be part of the EU, must know that by this ways he/she makes greek fascists happy!!! After all is only because of Greece that Macedonia is still out of the EU.
              Now, also consider how could we be able to unite Macedonia and Macedonians, outside of EU? Macedonians in Greece and Bulgaria are already in EU, but they are too weak to be able to claim their national identity rights, but imagine when Republic of Macedonia will be part of EU and people, goods and services will have free movement in all 3 parts of Macedonia, how things will change, for everyone. We finally will be, first of all, Europena citizen (politically) and Macedonians (nationally, all of us, together and under the same european law).
              Of course, I am against any name change of the Republic of Macedonia, because if we change the name of the country and the national identity of our people, we may be united in EU but not as Macedonians anymore. So, I am for the Republic of Macedonia in EU but with its name unchanged.

Comment

• Phoenix
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by vodenka View Post
                ...imagine when Republic of Macedonia will be part of EU and people, goods and services will have free movement in all 3 parts of Macedonia...
                vodenka, I know first hand some of the difficulties that we face at the hands of 'greek' and bulgar dogs but sometimes too many people act as if we're still living in the 18th century or that an 'iron curtain' seperates our people.

The vast majority of people are already moving with freedom, it's time we take a 'half full' approach to this problem and make the most of it, rather than playing out EU membership wishes in our imagination.

Macedonia will NEVER be in the EU or NATO, people will have to accept this REALITY sooner rather than later and make the best of the situation we're in today

Comment

• Bill77
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by vodenka View Post
                  Whoever disagrees for Macedonia to be part of the EU, must know that by this ways he/she makes greek fascists happy!!! After all is only because of Greece that Macedonia is still out of the EU
                  But, if Macedonia accepts they will never be part of the EU and quit trying, those Greek fascists you speak of will be shitiing in their pants knowing they no longer have any bargaining power and chance of Macedonia changing its name and identity and then us eventually becoming extinct, which is Greek number 1 priority. Then you can forever say goodbye to any unification.
                  http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• vodenka
                    • Mar 2009

I said that I do not accept a name change of the Republic of Macedonia, this is very clear. What I want to strees is that we have to continue to press for Macedonia to be part of EU, because it is something that Greece does not want. And we ALL know why Greece does not want this to happen! If Macedonia did not have good relations with the EU, now no Macedonian citizen could visit us without a visa, especially the Deca Begalci. This happened because of EU laws and not because of the good will of greeks or because things are changing... by themselves.
                    There is a small possiblity that the free visa regime will be stopped (and greeks are wishing this) because of many Roma and Albanians from Republic of Macedonia who are travelling to EU countries to ask for pilitical asylum so that they can get state welfare subsidies from those countries. Macedonian government said that will punish hard whoever does such trips to EU because it does not want to jeopardize this right for its citizens.

Comment

• rosetta
                      Banned
                      • May 2011

Vodenka,
                      are you still with this party? Are they still active?
                      (Great commercial, by the way)

YouTube - ‪Φιλελεύθερη Συμμαχία - *ίνουν οι μάγκες αργιλ*‬‏

Comment

• Bill77
                        • Oct 2009

Vodenka,

I never suggested you accepted a name change. But you must realise you can't have both ways (both keep the name and become EU member) so there is no point wishing it. There are only two options. If its unification you are concerned about, then entering EU is out of the question.

Here is an idea. How about the Macedonians in Greece take to the streets in demonstration against their government actions in blocking their neighbor . Rather than wary about over the border they should be concerned about their own back yard. A bit of noise from you guys will not go astray and nows a good opertunity since your country is in a mess.
                        Last edited by Bill77; 06-04-2011, 05:04 AM.
                        http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• lavce pelagonski
                          • Nov 2009

I agree with Bill, its time the Macedonians in Greece make some noise.
                          Стравот на Атина од овој Македонец одел до таму што го нарекле Страшниот Чакаларов гркоубиец и крвожеден комитаџија.

Ако знам дека тука тече една капка грчка крв, јас сега би ја отсекол целата рака и би ја фрлил в море. Васил Чакаларов

Comment

• vodenka
                            • Mar 2009

Rosetta, No, I am not with this party anymore as some of its members dot behave exactly as liberals. They have mixed personal disagreement with some of the oldest and founding members (for example, what a member writes on his private facebook wall) by very bad and insulting personal attacks. This caused the resignation of many older members, among them also myself. I still cannot understand how a very personal matter was brought in a party level discussion!!!! Probably there are more problems among the members and their ideology, in that party, lately.

Bill, I agree about the noise! The problem is who is going to organize our people to do this noise. We cannot expect them to do it by themselves, each one of tem.

Comment

• Bij
                              • Oct 2009

What's sad is the Macedonians that work for Greek fashion houses and only earn 100 euros a month for working 8 hours a day, 6 days a week. But they think this is a good thing, because unlike the Macedonian factories, they get paid on time every month.

Comment

Working...
                              X