What Made The Byzantine Empire 'Greek"???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TerraNova
    Banned
    • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
    I believe that during antiquity there were many antique names that changed over time to reflect the changing nature of the populations over thousands of years.

So today that 99% of the population of Greek Macedonia ..is Greek ,you have to accept REALITY.

Kisses ..from ancient Solun

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

No, today I have to accept that there is a grouping of people who have commenced using ancient names to describe places that were named otherwise. It makes them feel more "Hellenic" in the sense of wearing white togas and being intelligent. Naturally it is a simplistic approach and perfectly suited to the intellect of the grouping of of ethnic aberrations called Greeks. It goes without saying that this ideology was thrust on these unsuspecting people (by external nations for personal gain) in the process of building their modern nation.

You should read about it TN.

Here:

Feel free to respond to that thread. If you don't, I will pretend to be you (it is easy to be simplistic and an apologist) and add a typical response from you. Tell me how far off the mark I am.
      Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• TerraNova
        Banned
        • Nov 2008

No, today I have to accept that there is a grouping of people who have commenced using ancient names to describe places that were named otherwise. It makes them feel more "Hellenic" in the sense of wearing white togas and being intelligent. Naturally it is a simplistic approach and perfectly suited to the intellect of the grouping of of ethnic aberrations called Greeks. It goes without saying that this ideology was thrust on these unsuspecting people (by external nations for personal gain) in the process of building their modern nation.
        Ah by sophisticated approach i guess you mean renaming Skopje airport Alegzandar Makedonski
        ,placing ancient Hellenistic statues outside the parliament building in Skopje , renaming a highway to Philip II,
        wearing funny plastic costumes of Phalangites to welcome a Pakistani chieftain
        ,placing dozens of statues of Alexander the Great in places were not even the ancient tribe of Macedonians ever inhabited...

yes all these are so out of any weird ideology..they are authentic expressions of the culture of your people.
        lol

Comment

• TerraNova
          Banned
          • Nov 2008

You should read about it TN.

Here:

Feel free to respond to that thread. If you don't, I will pretend to be you (it is easy to be simplistic and an apologist) and add a typical response from you. Tell me how far off the mark I am.
          Make a summary...i m so bored to read 100 pages.
          Does it go smth like "Greeks were constructed by Europeans-they are arvanovlachs" or smth similar?

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by TerraNova View Post
            Make a summary...i m so bored to read 100 pages.
            Does it go smth like "Greeks were constructed by Europeans-they are arvanovlachs" or smth similar?

So you did read it
            Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TerraNova View Post
              Ah by sophisticated approach i guess you mean renaming Skopje airport Alegzandar Makedonski
              ,placing ancient Hellenistic statues outside the parliament building in Skopje , renaming a highway to Philip II,
              wearing funny plastic costumes of Phalangites to welcome a Pakistani chieftain
              ,placing dozens of statues of Alexander the Great in places were not even the ancient tribe of Macedonians ever inhabited...

yes all these are so out of any weird ideology..they are authentic expressions of the culture of your people.
              lol
              Truthfully, I think the Macedonian Government is scratching its head in utter disbelief at how some of those renaming stupidities have worked so well in occupied Macedonia that some factions have been convinced it is the way to go in Macedonia as well.

I see no major problem with it. I note no place names have changed ... you know ... cities, towns. Certainly no major departures. Unlike the cradle of democracy.

But, our folklore includes these people and events. And the Greek folklore includes ummm, errr, whatever Lord Byron suggested.
              Risto the Great

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                • Jan 2009

Read the first paragraph Risto to get a quick view about "Their" folklore http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum...read.php?t=819 It's only one page and worth the read.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                  • Jan 2009

A 'Greek' source on how "greek" the Byzantine Empire was.

page 111

Last edited by TrueMacedonian; 07-17-2009, 11:50 PM.

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                    • Jan 2009

So from the above the author explains that;

1) The Byzantine Empire (East Roman Empire) was Roman and only Roman and not "greek".
                    2) The term "greek" simply meant Roman and not "greek" in the national or ethnic sense.
                    3) The Slavs were not "hellenized" but "graecofied" i.e. taught to speak "greek" or in other words "Roman".
                    4) Hellenes was designated for pagans and practiced by very few people.
                    5) Those who called themselves "greek" from "greece" was a geographical term only (funny how Macedonians are accused of only being called Macedonian due to geographical location).
                    6) No "greek nation" existed as well as any "greek empire".
                    7) The author disproves many western scholars and modern "greek" scholars who tend to call the Byzantine empire a "Greek Empire" which not only false but historical inaccurate.

There is so much in the text above. This crushes the fantasy that todays multi-ethnic imposter hellenes are sole heirs to the Byzantine empire. Anyone could become a "Greek" in other words "Roman". Even up to 1912 modern "greeks" were calling themselves
                    Romans instead of the charlatan state label "Hellenes". That in itself destroys the myth of an unbroken cultural continuity of the people.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

Excellent TM.
                      And Perboundos might be an interesting persont to look into.
                      Risto the Great

Comment

• TrueMacedonian
                        • Jan 2009

I will start with a post from another thread, to provide a background for this topic and the below events. http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?t=524 Prior to the events of Thomas the Slav, a battle took place between the empires of East Rome and Bulgaria that engaged the Macedonians in battle. The

Already done RTG

Comment

• Daskalot
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TrueMacedonian View Post
                          So from the above the author explains that;

1) The Byzantine Empire (East Roman Empire) was Roman and only Roman and not "greek".
                          2) The term "greek" simply meant Roman and not "greek" in the national or ethnic sense.
                          3) The Slavs were not "hellenized" but "graecofied" i.e. taught to speak "greek" or in other words "Roman".
                          4) Hellenes was designated for pagans and practiced by very few people.
                          5) Those who called themselves "greek" from "greece" was a geographical term only (funny how Macedonians are accused of only being called Macedonian due to geographical location).
                          6) No "greek nation" existed as well as any "greek empire".
                          7) The author disproves many western scholars and modern "greek" scholars who tend to call the Byzantine empire a "Greek Empire" which not only false but historical inaccurate.

There is so much in the text above. This crushes the fantasy that todays multi-ethnic imposter hellenes are sole heirs to the Byzantine empire. Anyone could become a "Greek" in other words "Roman". Even up to 1912 modern "greeks" were calling themselves
                          Romans instead of the charlatan state label "Hellenes". That in itself destroys the myth of an unbroken cultural continuity of the people.
                          This summary is so true! A great find TM, lets hear what our Greek friends think about this.
                          Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

Working...
                          X