Macedonians and their 'slave' names, time to change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

Macedonians and their 'slave' names, time to change?

I would like to initiate a discussion about this topic. I have heard of all sort of reasons why many have not done it, for example, problems or restrictions when visiting their family homes that now fall within Greece's borders, keeping things simple by retaining the status quo, etc.

However, I know of several Macedonians that have changed their surnames back to the original, wether it was with a 'v' ending or with no defined suffix at all. They have not been prohibited from entering Greece, nor have they found it that difficult to adjust where it concerns official documents, etc.

Me personally, I would have changed it back as soon as I was able to, I will be damned if I carry an imposed 'slave' name for the rest of my life, or pass it on to my offspring. I'll open the floor to the brothers and sisters who have origins from Macedonia's south, to see what their stance is on this issue.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.
  • Stojacanec
    • Dec 2009

This should be a good thread !

By the same token there are Macedonians from ROM (that I know off) who have retained their names as "ich" for example. I would like to know why they keep with the stutus quo also.

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

I changed mine at 18.
      Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Stojacanec View Post
        This should be a good thread !

By the same token there are Macedonians from ROM (that I know off) who have retained their names as "ich" for example. I would like to know why they keep with the stutus quo also.
        Indeed, that is a good point also. I don't doubt that, during the early 19th century, hardly anybody had a defined suffixed surname, and most Macedonian, Serb and Bulgar surnames that were defined, were suffixed in a style akin to the Russians. In that respect, we have the Pejchinovic's and co., however, most if not all Macedonian surnames today that do end in 'ich', do so only as a result of Serbian oppression.
        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
          I changed mine at 18.
          Yours should be the example that the rest aspire to replicate. I know you, not just on the net but on a personal level, I know the strength in your character and convictions, and I could never see you retaining a 'slave' name at the expense of your real one, arno sho go smena.

Comment

• osiris
            • Sep 2008

som i agree with you one hundred percent i first brought this up in the late 80s and said imagine the impact it could have if 1000 macedonian turned up at the relevant government office in melbourne on the same day, it would make every news service in the nation.

there are 2 things i have been pushing the above and an advertisement in the papers in melb and sydney

do you have a baba and dedo
            do you come from macedonia
            come and celebrate our culture and history
            at macedoniantruth.org
            a service for nashi by nashi.

i am prepared to make 100 dollar contribution right now to place an ad in a melbourne paper.

Comment

• Risto the Great
              • Sep 2008

Thanks SoM. I have no idea why anyone would leave it with the slave name intact. Stojacanec makes a solid point as well for the "ic" types. Some argue that having a Greek sounding name gives more proof to the fact that many "Greeks" are not what they seem. But their offspring in a few generations will not have a clue either way.

In summary, it is piss weak.
              Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by osiris View Post
                do you have a baba and dedo
                do you[r people] come from macedonia
                come and celebrate our culture and history
                at macedoniantruth.org
                a service for nashi by nashi.

i am prepared to make 100 dollar contribution right now to place an ad in a melbourne paper.
                Love your work!
                Slight edit in [ ] and I give $100 too.
                Risto the Great

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Risto the Great View Post
                  Love your work!
                  Slight edit in [ ] and I give $100 too.
                  I will match that, $100 from me also.

Let's work towards building some momentum on this and find out what needs to be done, and what is required to have it done.

Comment

• osiris
                    • Sep 2008

fantastic when i first proposed it we didnt have an internet and we were going to use a contact phone number and it would have been very hard to do, but now with this site, it will be a breeze.

Comment

• The LION will ROAR
                      • Jan 2009

Guy's, Someone had asked me the Question about how our surnames came about ie.. Ski's & OV's...etc etc... I found it hard to answer it in a simple way..
                      Many do not know... I my self do not know too much on the History of the Macedonians surnames and I think there isn't too much on that topic to find....(I could be wrong)
                      Could someone explain briefly or direct me to the right source..?
                      Cheers
                      The Macedonians originates it, the Bulgarians imitate it and the Greeks exploit it!

Comment

• julie
                        • May 2009

Originally posted by The LION will ROAR View Post
                        Guy's, Someone had asked me the Question about how our surnames came about ie.. Ski's & OV's...etc etc... I found it hard to answer it in a simple way..
                        Many do not know... I my self do not know too much on the History of the Macedonians surnames and I think there isn't too much on that topic to find....(I could be wrong)
                        Could someone explain briefly or direct me to the right source..?
                        Cheers
                        I asked my dad that one and he told me the "ski" is similar to the Scottish Mac prefix, meaning son of. An example would be Gruevski - son of Gruev (forefathers grandparents etc)
                        I presume the ov ending would be a similar conotation
                        "The moral revolution - the revolution of the mind, heart and soul of an enslaved people, is our greatest task."__________________Gotse Delchev

Comment

• osiris
                          • Sep 2008

i have heard that the ev and ov means belonging to. ski is usualy used in relation to georgraphy, in is when the children of a domaset take on their mothers name as the core of their surname.

Comment

• fyrOM
                            Banned
                            • Feb 2010

Im confused guys. Does ski mean a name that means change and if so to what.

Comment

• Daskalot
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                              I will match that, $100 from me also.

Let's work towards building some momentum on this and find out what needs to be done, and what is required to have it done.
                              I am in, set me up for AUS$100. Who will collect the funds and place the add in the newspapers? RtG maybe?
                              Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

Working...
                              X