• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Poligiros
    Banned
    • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
    So which records did you use to trace your genealogy? Or did you just find the word poligiros somewhere and automatically assume it was the name of your ancestors?

We have lots of Macedonians from Aegean Macedonia here. Risto the Great, for example, is a direct descendant from an ancient royal Macedonian line - from Alexander the Great. They have the same surname 'the Great'.
    Vangelovski LOL,
    I also call myself Megas (http://biblehub.com/greek/3173.htm)... like μέγας Alexandros.
    Please, lets have a serious discussion here.

My family can be traced in Polygyros to around 1700AD at least. Went to local council and checked family names. Also we have a house passed on from generations in old Polygyros, near the centre square.

Any members or any associates from MY region of Aegean Macedonia? Would like to converse.

"Broader area of modern Polygyros the ancient city of Apollonia. Apollonia was one of the 32 cities, which, under the leadership of the Olynthus, constituted the Koinon ton Chalkideon (Chalkidian League). The Koinon was destroyed in 379 BCE by the Spartans, while in 348 BCE Philipp II of Macedon annexed the whole Chalcidice into the Macedonian Kingdom."

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
      • Oct 2011

1700AD... unlikely, though that still sounds like about 2000 years of unaccounted ancestry, but I'm sure 2000 years can be considered a pretty insignificant period of time in your circumstances.
      “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• Poligiros
        Banned
        • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Tomche Makedonche View Post
        1700AD... unlikely, though that still sounds like about 2000 years of unaccounted ancestry, but I'm sure 2000 years can be considered a pretty insignificant period of time in your circumstances.
        Unlikely?? Its a fact, also historians state that native Hellenes of Aegean Macedonia are remnants and descendants of the Byzantine empire. Before that the ancient Macedonians integrated with Hellenic Byzantium.

I can claim that my descendants were derived from Apollonia, named in Ancient Macedonian times, as that's where Polygyros resides today? However, my trace goes back to late 1600s.

"The town of Polygyros is first mentioned in a medieval imperial document, chryssovoulon (with golden stamp), of Eastern Roman Emperor Nikephoros III Botaneiates about 1080 CE. In 1430, as the rest of the Eastern Roman Empire, Polygyros was conquered by the Ottomans and belonged to the Sanjak of Thessaloniki."

So, can you tell me how you and other forum members trace family lines to Aegean Macedonia?

Comment

• Vangelovski
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Poligiros View Post
          Vangelovski LOL,
          I also call myself Megas (http://biblehub.com/greek/3173.htm)... like μέγας Alexandros.
          Please, lets have a serious discussion here.

My family can be traced in Polygyros to around 1700AD at least. Went to local council and checked family names. Also we have a house passed on from generations in old Polygyros, near the centre square.
          My posts will be as serious as yours.

Again, what records did you use? What records did your local council have?

You might call yourself "Megas" but Risto the Great also checked with his local council and it turns out he is a direct descendant of Alexander the Great. One of his other ancestors, Kocho the Great, drove out an invading army of Albano-Vlachs (calling themselves Romoi) and sent them packing back to the Peloponnese.
          Last edited by Vangelovski; 09-30-2015, 09:56 PM.
          If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Poligiros
            Banned
            • Mar 2014

My posts will be as serious as yours.

Again, what records did you use? What records did your local council have?

You might call yourself "Megas" but Risto the Great also checked with his local council and it turns out he is a direct descendant of Alexander the Great.
            The dimarxio have old books with brown leather casing of births, parental names and dates. From there we can see who married who and step back. Records were destroyed from previous periods.

In addition, original homes in old Polygyros were built from 1400AD. In actual fact, my ancestor built ours and has been passed down generations, ours was built around 1700.

Now, if all records, historical documents, independent Ottoman census show Hellenes as a majority residing in southern, coastal and eastern Aegean Macedonian regions, why do imply that we only arrived in the last 100 years?

Can Risto tell me, as a descendant of Megas Alexandros, at what point in time did his family change their native tongue? and how did this occur?

thanks

Comment

• Vangelovski
              • Sep 2008

The dimarxio have old books with brown leather casing of births, parental names and dates. From there we can see who married who and step back. Records were destroyed from previous periods.

In addition, original homes in old Polygyros were built from 1400AD. In actual fact, my ancestor built ours and has been passed down generations, ours was built around 1700.

Now, if all records, historical documents, independent Ottoman census show Hellenes as a majority residing in southern, coastal and eastern Aegean Macedonian regions, why do imply that we only arrived in the last 100 years?

Can Risto tell me, as a descendant of Megas Alexandros, at what point in time did his family change their native tongue? and how did this occur?

thanks
              Old leather books? And how far back do these old leather books go? Who recorded the information in these old leather books?

Risto the Great is not a descendant of "Megas Alexandros". He's a descendant of Alexander the Great or Aleksandar Makedonski (in the native Macedonian). They never changed their native language - its always been Macedonian. You're confusing their native language with the use of international signage that was used back then, much like English now.

Did you know, that one of my ancestors, Panko Patliganot, was a general in Kocho the Great's army. He personally slaughtered 500 Albano-Vlachs (who had recently renamed themselves Romoi but were considering yet another name change at the time), put their donkey's to the sword for having being defiled by the Albano-Vlachs and sent their women to the Pontus region of Asia Minor? I found all of this in an old leather book in my local council.
              Last edited by Vangelovski; 09-30-2015, 10:36 PM.
              If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
                • Oct 2011

Unlikely?? Its a fact, also historians state that native Hellenes of Aegean Macedonia are remnants and descendants of the Byzantine empire. Before that the ancient Macedonians integrated with Hellenic Byzantium.

I can claim that my descendants were derived from Apollonia, named in Ancient Macedonian times, as that's where Polygyros resides today? However, my trace goes back to late 1600s.

"The town of Polygyros is first mentioned in a medieval imperial document, chryssovoulon (with golden stamp), of Eastern Roman Emperor Nikephoros III Botaneiates about 1080 CE. In 1430, as the rest of the Eastern Roman Empire, Polygyros was conquered by the Ottomans and belonged to the Sanjak of Thessaloniki."

So, can you tell me how you and other forum members trace family lines to Aegean Macedonia?
                Wow, responding seems somewhat cruel, but here we go

I trace my ancestry to Pella, I looked it up in the local councils where it was written in old leather books. I have an old house in the region that my ancestors built in 1700AD. Historians say that Pella and surrounding regions have always been Macedonian and that Macedonians lived there. Putting aside an insignificant period of 2000 years of unaccounted ancestry, I can claim that my descendants derived from Pella and it is on this basis that my claim to the Macedonian Kingdom rests. This is also the main reason why the bitter rivalry exists between myself and Risto the Great, or who I appropriately refer to as “Risto the Usurper”, who has the audacity to claim my throne as his own. Fortunately, our decision a number of years back to abandon traditional warfare in favour of musical prowess has seen the bloodshed that has consumed our bitter feud subside, still, even though many a string has been snapped, and many a blister been popped, an end to this quarrel remains elusive.

Though, given your recent declarations, I think it would now be appropriate that you bow to your king and swear your allegiance to House Tomche Makedonche. Furthermore, a review of my records reveals that your family has had a significant outstanding debt payable to the crown, accordingly I will be sending debt collectors over in order to settle your accounts.
                “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• Poligiros
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2014

Old leather books?
                  Risto the Great is not a descendant of "Megas Alexandros". He's a descendant of Alexander the Great or Aleksandar Makedonski (in the native Macedonian). They never changed their native language - its always been Macedonian. You're confusing their native language with the use of international signage that was used back then, much like English now.

? I found all of this in an old leather book in my local council.
                  I can understand the ancient Macedonian language, but not the modern Macedonian language.? Didn't Alexander the Great use the ancient Macedonian language??

Macedonian onomastics: the earliest epigraphical documents attesting substantial numbers of Macedonian proper names are the second Athenian alliance decree with Perdiccas II (~417–413 BC), the decree of Kalindoia,~335–300 BC) and seven curse tablets of the 4th century BC bearing mostly names.[28][29]

The Pella curse tablet, a text written in a distinct Doric Greek dialect, found in 1986 and dated to between mid to early 4th century BC, has been forwarded as an argument that the ancient Macedonian language was a dialect of North-Western Greek, part of the Doric dialects.[30]

Modern Macedonian language:

The region of Macedonia and the Republic of Macedonia are located on the Balkan peninsula. The Slavs first came to the Balkan Peninsula in the sixth and seventh centuries AD. In the ninth century, the Byzantine Greek monks Saints Cyril and Methodius developed the first writing system for the Slavonic languages. At this time, the Slavic dialects were so close as to make it practical to develop the written language on the dialect of a single region. The Ohrid Literary School was established in Ohrid in 886 by Saint Clement of Ohrid on orders of Boris I of Bulgaria. In the fourteenth century, the Ottoman Turks invaded and conquered most of the Balkans, incorporating Macedonia into the Ottoman Empire. Although the written language, now called Old Church Slavonic, remained static as a result of Turkish domination, the spoken dialects moved further apart.

The earliest lexicographic evidence of the Macedonian dialects, described as Bulgarian

Comment

• George S.
                    • Aug 2009

Isnt it amazing how you identify as a greek you arent identifying as macedonian.
                    Last edited by George S.; 09-30-2015, 11:21 PM.
                    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Poligiros
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2014

Wow, responding seems somewhat cruel, but here we go

I trace my ancestry to Pella, I looked it up in the local councils where it was written in old leather books. I have an old house in the region that my ancestors built in 1700AD. Historians say that Pella and surrounding regions have always been Macedonian and that Macedonians lived there. Putting aside an insignificant period of 2000 years of unaccounted ancestry, I can claim that my descendants derived from Pella and it is on this basis that my claim to the Macedonian Kingdom rests. This is also the main reason why the bitter rivalry exists between myself and Risto the Great, or who I appropriately refer to as “Risto the Usurper”, who has the audacity to claim my throne as his own. Fortunately, our decision a number of years back to abandon traditional warfare in favour of musical prowess has seen the bloodshed that has consumed our bitter feud subside, still, even though many a string has been snapped, and many a blister been popped, an end to this quarrel remains elusive.

Though, given your recent declarations, I think it would now be appropriate that you bow to your king and swear your allegiance to House Tomche Makedonche. Furthermore, a review of my records reveals that your family has had a significant outstanding debt payable to the crown, accordingly I will be sending debt collectors over in order to settle your accounts.
                      You wasted time writing "humorous" anecdotes.

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
                        • Oct 2011

Just following your lead, I am glad that you recognise the absurdity behind such claims
                        Last edited by Tomche Makedonche; 09-30-2015, 11:52 PM.

Comment

• Poligiros
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2014

Originally posted by George S. View Post
                          Isnt it amazing how you identify as a greek you arent identifying as macedonian.
                          According to you and other forum members I am not allowed to identify as "Macedonian"... because...
                          My family derives from an ancient Macedonian settlement of Apollonia, situated in Aegean Macedonia, now called Polygyros since 1000AD, that I can only validly trace lineage for 300+ years. I can read the same Dorian Hellenic inscriptions as my ancient forefathers found at the local Macedonian museum, and feel as though I have the same culture and ethos as my Byzantine and ancient ancestors. However I am not allowed to identify as Macedonian because my forefathers do not speak the modern Macedonian language ?

Comment

• Poligiros
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2014

Just following your lead, I am glad that you recognise the absurdity behind such claims
                            Tomche,

How do you think the Hellenic people of Polygyros got there? Whats your theory?
                            From 1000 AD, to the time they were under Ottoman occupation. Do you believe they were another ethnicity e.g. Slavic and changed their names and language? Do you believe they were another cultural group that may have turned Hellenic?

Or do you believe they were planted there at a point in time say, 1500AD?

All evidence points to my town being Hellenic, with Hellenic speakers and Hellenic surnames for millenniums. Referring to my town/region, evidence and inscriptions show Byzantium was Hellenic as was ancient Macedonia.
                            Can you show me evidence to the contrary??

Comment

• Vangelovski
                              • Sep 2008

I can understand the ancient Macedonian language, but not the modern Macedonian language.? Didn't Alexander the Great use the ancient Macedonian language??
                              No, I don't think you actually can understand ancient Macedonian. You claim to be able to understand ancient Greek and you are calling that "Macedonian", but its not. They are two very different languages. I don't think you've ever actually seen any ancient Macedonian. It was largely a verbal language, passed down the generations - to people like Risto the Great, Tomche Makedonche and I. Like all languages, it has evolved over time. This is the native language of Alexander the Great and this is the ancient Macedonian language.

So, who recorded the details in these old leather books?
                              Last edited by Vangelovski; 10-01-2015, 12:52 AM.

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
                                • Oct 2011

Yeah my interest in trying to engage in logical discussion with your type vanished a long time ago. Novels seem to loose their allure when you already know the conclusion. Plus you already seem to have issues with consistency.

But if you are committed to continue your dance here, perhaps you can define what you mean by "Hellenic"

Comment

Working...
                                X