Macedonia is the Mother of all Macedonians, 1856!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daskalot
    • Sep 2008

Macedonia is the Mother of all Macedonians, 1856!

I found something interesting that supports our claim that the name of Macedonia is the name of our Mother land.

Title page.

Page 1276.

Source: A comparative grammar of the Sanskrit, Zend, Greek, Latin, Lithuanian, Gothic, German, and Sclavonic languages: By Professor F. Bopp. Translated from the German by Edward B. Eastwick, Second edition, 1856, page 1276.

What are your opinion on this fellow members?
    Macedonian Truth Organisation
  • Bratot
    • Sep 2008

Thats totally matching the cult of "Great Mother" ( MAGNA MATER ) - or MA, and latelly discovered sculpture of the Goddess:

In Macedonia the Great Mother (Magna Mater or Ge Meter in the later Greek-Roman Pan-theon) was the most worshipped cult in the Neolithic. The earliest depiction dates from the period of 6500-3500 BC.

MAKEDONIA - MOTHERLAND

П.С. Ти симнувам капа Даскале! Секоја ти чест и неизмерна благодарност.
    The purpose of the media is not to make you to think that the name must be changed, but to get you into debate - what name would suit us! - Bratot

Comment

• Daskalot
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by bratot View Post
      thats totally matching the cult of "great mother" ( magna mater ) - or ma, and latelly discovered sculpture of the goddess:

In macedonia the great mother (magna mater or ge meter in the later greek-roman pan-theon) was the most worshipped cult in the neolithic. The earliest depiction dates from the period of 6500-3500 bc.

makedonia - motherland

П.С. Ти симнувам капа Даскале! Секоја ти чест и неизмерна благодарност.
      ништо батка, вистината треба да се знаје!
      Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

It is an interesting perspective and a very good find given that it can now be demonstrated that such views were held and recorded as far back as the mid 19th century.

I am not sure about the exact pronounciation, but check the Sanskrit numbers from one to ten, and the Macedonian, Greek, Latin and Germanic numbers next to them successively. Of course, being all from the Indo-European family of languages similarities are bound to be there, but I think that Macedonian (and therefore also the Slavic languages) has retained an important closeness to this ancient language.

Sanskrit - Macedonian - Greek - Latin - German

éka - eden - ena - unus - eins
        dva - dva - dio - duo - zwei
        tri - tri - tria - tres - drei
        catúr - chetiri - tesera - quattuor - vier
        páñcan - pet - pende - quīnque - fünf
        sás - shes - exi - sex - sechs
        saptán - sedum - efta - septem - sieben
        astá - osum - ohto - octō - acht
        návan - devet - enea - novem - neun
        dáśan - deset - deka - decem - zehn
        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Delodephius
          • Sep 2008

In Slavic (meaning Macedonian as well) "six" is "šest" not "šes". The ending "-t" is important in Slavic languages, and in this case it exists because it also maintains a rhyme with "pet".

The rhyme is (in OCS):

три-четъіри (tri-četyri)
          пѧть-шєсть (pętǐ-šestǐ)*
          сєдмь-осмь (sedmǐ-osmǐ)
          дєвѧть-дєсѧть (devętǐ-desętǐ)

*It is hypothesised that once "šestǏ" was used to form a rhyme with "pěstǐ"=fist, or that number five was once called "pěstǐ" and was later replaced by "pętǐ".
          Last edited by Delodephius; 01-06-2009, 07:35 AM.
          अयं निज: परो वेति गणना लघुचेतसाम्।
          उदारमनसानां तु वसुधैव कुटुंबकम्॥
          This is mine or (somebody) else’s (is the way) narrow minded people count.
          But for broad minded people, (whole) earth is (like their) family.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

You know, I wrote 'shest' the first time as I knew it is the common and 'proper' way of saying it, but as I was using Macedonian as the language of comparison I then changed it to 'shes' because that is how I would say it in my dialect. For example, for 'six times' I would say 'shes pati', as 'shest pati' doesn't quite blend in the vernacular.
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Delodephius
              • Sep 2008

Neither does in mine, but it is merely because of sandhi - the accommodation of neighbouring sounds. You would say "šest" if it was isolated.
              अयं निज: परो वेति गणना लघुचेतसाम्।
              उदारमनसानां तु वसुधैव कुटुंबकम्॥
              This is mine or (somebody) else’s (is the way) narrow minded people count.
              But for broad minded people, (whole) earth is (like their) family.

Comment

• cultea
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Daskalot, Bratot,
                I'm afraid you're misreading the text of post#1. It doesn't say that Macedonia means Motherland. It just says that the Greek -ia suffix means (in our case) Country of Macedonians, or Motherland of Macedonians, since Macedonia is a feminine word. For instance:
                Serb, Serb-ia
                Macedon/Μακεδών, Macedon-ia
                Roman, Roman-ia
                Romania/Ρωμανία was one of the names of East Rome, i.e. the Eastern Roman Empire. Not to be confused with the present-day Balkan country that is spelled slightly differently (Ρουμανία), but the idea is the same: Country of Romans, Motherland of Romans.
                Last edited by cultea; 07-26-2011, 12:59 AM.

Comment

• vojnik
                  • Apr 2011

There is a theory about the name MAKEDONIJA which some believe to mean the Mother Land due to "MAKE" being similar to the modern Macedonian "MAJKA" or "MAJKE" which is mother and the word "DON" which is similar to modern Macedonian "DOM" meaning home

In other words the MOTHERS HOME OR MOTHERLAND

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by cultea View Post
                    It doesn't say that Macedonia means Motherland. It just says that the Greek -ia suffix means (in our case) Country of Macedonians, or Motherland of Macedonians, since Macedonia is a feminine word.
                    Actually, you're correct. No big deal though, the -ia suffix also represents feminine forms in other Balkan languages, it is related to Sanskrit and ultimately derived from PIE.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                      • Sep 2008

Could the second component of the word 'Macedonia' have some sort of Celtic connection through their previous interaction with the Thracians? Other tribal names that end in such a way are Caledoni the Celtic tribe and Edoni the Thracian tribe, then there is also the Celtic name for Belgrade (white city) which is Singidunum. Or could it perhaps be a cognate of the river name 'Don', recorded as 'Tanais' in ancient Greek sources and used as a name for both the river and the city? This term appears to bear relation to East Iranian 'dānu' (river), Ossetic 'don' (river), and Pashto 'dand' or 'dun' (pond, lake). The reason why I mention the second example is that Macedonia has often been identified by the river Vardar (Axios) which cuts through the middle of the territory.

Comment

• George S.
                        • Aug 2009

There's nothing that says tht geeeks & macedonian s were related.Macedonians were tall & fair.Greeks were dark & short.That also identifies who the macedonians were.In respect of Macedonia meaning mothers domain.Mothers home & that it is .
                        Last edited by George S.; 09-15-2012, 07:27 PM. Reason: ed
                        "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• momce
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2012

hhaha George S dont you think youre taking that a bit far? Were all Macedonians tall and strong etc? as opposed to greeks etc

Comment

• George S.
                            • Aug 2009

no what i said is true .THe facts speak for themselves .
                            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
                            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Chakalarov
                              • Feb 2014

Regarding the name Macedonia, I recently read a theory that the name is derived from the words Make (mother) and Dion (goddess)

However, I too liked to think that Makedonija derived from Make (mother) + don (home), but looking at the PIE origin, *dom-o- "house," in turn derived from the from root *dem- "house, household". It seems odd to me that there would be a shift from to -dom to -don and then back to -dom. Thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                              X