Singing About Goce Delcev in Voden (Edessa)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Toska
    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
    This is the annual dance of the cultural club "Arkoudes Metskes" (Bears) of Edessa. I don't know what they represent, but they have a facebook page and you can ask them.

https://el-gr.facebook.com/Edessa-Ar...9712155727157/
    you do know metskes means bear in macedonian mechki mechka mechke, the ch sound not existing in greek its substituted by ts.

Comment

• George S.
      • Aug 2009

The word mechka is a Macedonian term only used by Macedonians and not greeks.Proof that Macedonians do exist and greeks are trying to claim the Macedonians aree greek.
      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Constellation
        • Jul 2014

Lastly, until the mid-80s all young people in the cities (of middle and upper class) would avoid all types of Greek music and would listen only to foreign music (that was the “modern” thing to do). This also has changed recently.
        Very interesting. So what changed in Greek life to bring this about? Nationalism? I have noticed a trend in the last few years, really brewing for some time, and that is a growing push-back against globalization.

The "McDonald's" of things dominated American thought for years, but now there is a resurgence of tradition and a growing push-back against American and Western culture.

Music is a big part of this, as is cuisine and social life.

Comment

• Amphipolis
          Banned
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Constellation View Post
          Very interesting. So what changed in Greek life to bring this about? Nationalism? I have noticed a trend in the last few years, really brewing for some time, and that is a growing push-back against globalization.

The "McDonald's" of things dominated American thought for years, but now there is a resurgence of tradition and a growing push-back against American and Western culture.

Music is a big part of this, as is cuisine and social life.
          Amazingly enough, it wasn't Nationalism but... Anna Vissi (often considered the Greek version of Madonna) and specifically one song of her called Dodeka. Before that there were youth "pirate" (illegal) radio stations and they all played 100% foreign music (anything Greek was somehow passé).

Then they started playing that song (it was a very good rock ballad that everybody seemed to like). Within a few years the whole separation (either 100% Greek or 100% foreign music) had ended and even the most famous DJs of foreign music would not snob Greek music anymore.

Nowadays, it's hard to find lovers of "foreign music" that fully snob Greek music, but some may still snob some styles of it (traditional music or anything containing bouzouki). The difference is that such people are not considered "modern" but simply idiots.

===
          Last edited by Amphipolis; 12-13-2015, 02:37 PM.

Comment

• George S.
            • Aug 2009

Its back to bouzookie music and traditional foods no maccas for them.
            "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• Constellation
              • Jul 2014

Amazingly enough, it wasn't Nationalism but... Anna Vissi (often considered the Greek version of Madonna) and specifically one song of her called Dodeka. Before that there were youth "pirate" (illegal) radio stations and they all played 100% foreign music (anything Greek was somehow passé).

Then they started playing that song (it was a very good rock ballad that everybody seemed to like). Within a few years the whole separation (either 100% Greek or 100% foreign music) had ended and even the most famous DJs of foreign music would not snob Greek music anymore.

Nowadays, it's hard to find lovers of "foreign music" that fully snob Greek music, but some may still snob some styles of it (traditional music or anything containing bouzouki). The difference is that such people are not considered "modern" but simply idiots.

===
              Two questions. Why does the “η” in Άννα Βίσση get translated as Vissi instead of “Visse”? Second, is it common for female names to end in “η”, as opposed to “σ”? I have noticed a lot of Greek names having a similar suffex as Italian surnames, and I'm curious as to the cause.

Comment

• King Niko
                • Sep 2015

I think Macedonia is a independent country, and that Macedonians are unique from Slavs in some aspects, just as they are with Greeks or Albanians, it would be a fool to think otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                X