• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Soldier of Macedon
    • Sep 2008

This is from a few years back, but I suspect still relative to today:

MY PROFILE From The Times October 6, 2003

Anti-English prejudice rife in Scotland, survey findsBy Angus Macleod, Scottish Political Correspondent ENGLISH people living in Scotland are the victims of persistent antagonism and prejudice and are regularly harassed and discriminated against by Scots, a survey has found.

The anti-English sentiment extends from remarks in their presence aimed at riling them to discrimination at work and, at its most extreme, physical abuse. In one case a parent claimed his children, while at school, had “kitchen scourers dragged down their faces because they were English”.

The findings of the Glasgow University survey will be presented to an international conference in Edinburgh being held next month to mark the 400th anniversary of the Union of the Crowns. They will be an embarrassment for Jack McConnell, the First Minister, who ten days ago threw his weight behind a drive to attract skilled immigrants from the rest of Britain and beyond to Scotland to combat the country’s low growth and declining population.

The research, which involved interviews with about 500 of the 500,000 English people living in Scotland, found that one third said that the Scots were “basically Anglophobic or anti-English”.

According to Bill Miller, professor of politics at Glasgow University, who headed the research team, most also said that while they regarded it as less serious than Scotland’s Protestant/Catholic sectarianism, there was “a conflict between the Scots and the English in Scotland”.

Professor Miller said: “We found that a quarter of the English said they’d been harassed or discriminated against by the Scots. They blamed ordinary Scots not officials, not the police, not employers but the people they meet in the streets or they meet in the pub.”

About one third said that frequently they had to put up with remarks intended as jokes but which annoyed them. “When we move on to something more serious, like an intentional insult or abuse, something like one in six of the English said that happened quite frequently,” Professor Miller said. “What we find is that while English people feel basically at ease in Scotland, they are aware of this nagging antagonism.”

His team also found examples of people claiming to have been refused a job because they were English.

The researchers also found that anti-English sentiment in Scotland increased when England was participating in a major sporting occasion or when Scotland was playing England.

The findings also challenged the notion that anti-English prejudice would lessen as a result of devolution as Scots became more self-confident and less inclined to blame Westminster or England for social and economic problems.

The Executive said yesterday that it was essential to end all forms of discrimination in Scottish society at all levels.
    I am not sure why English people would find this suprising given the way they have treated the Scots. What did they expect from a people they have robbed and murdered during previous centuries? I wouldn't condone the actions of people who harm others because they differ in ethnicity, but to complain about being faced with Anglophobia or being the butt of all jokes, when English people have habitually made fun of Irish and Scottish people? It's a bit rich. I am all for the independence of Scotland, and I hope they achieve their goal one day.
    In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Risto the Great
      • Sep 2008

The Brits were the first in line to help Kosovo secede. They will always have a comment about Macedonia and its minority rights ... yet they have a shocking history in relation to their "conquests".
      Risto the Great
      MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
      "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Zarni
        Banned
        • May 2011

The defination of Nationilism has been poisoned to tilt to the extreme by the BBC and CNN in the mid 90's

Comment

Working...
        X