Macedonian Truth Forum   

Go Back   Macedonian Truth Forum > Macedonian Truth Forum > Macedonian History

Old 06-03-2014, 02:52 AM   #11
Sweet Sixteen
Banned

Sweet Sixteen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risto the Great View Post
Not many choices for written languages back then. This doesn't bother me.
Homer's works were not written. They were composed probably in 800s or 700s BC, taught, disseminated and survived orally. (Yes, singers of that time could memorise all 16,000 lines of each poem). Later, it was written down in several versions and eventually in one official version in Athens at 510s BC. The dialect is mostly Ionic.
Sweet Sixteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:22 AM   #12
Risto the Great

Risto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond reputeRisto the Great has a reputation beyond repute

I recall the orally passed down aspect.
Well, it was written eventually and it was no doubt subject to the odd Chinese whisper I would safely imagine. Either way, it is great to see these things kept alive in one form or another.

"Holding my breath for the revolution."
Risto the Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #13
George S.

George S. is on a distinguished road

people are saying that how homer wrote in the greek language.I would say he wrote in the pelasgian language .THe pelasgians I'm told was one Macedonian tribe.So no wonder we can recognize Macedonian words today in homer.The pelazgians were scattered everywhere all over the Balkans as far as crete.By the way the word crete is in Macedonian kriet to hide,So there's quiet a lot that we know today about the ancient Macedonians that the pelazgians were one of many tribes.
"Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
GOTSE DELCEV
George S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:40 AM   #14
Soldier of Macedon

Soldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risto the Great View Post
Well, it was written eventually and it was no doubt subject to the odd Chinese whisper I would safely imagine.
No doubt about that. The fact is, we don't know how the original poems sounded back in Homer's day - that is assuming he even existed. Given that the poems were first written down long after Homer disappeared, even the term "Homeric Greek" can be somewhat misleading for the average simpleton.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #15
Bill77

Bill77 has much to be proud ofBill77 has much to be proud ofBill77 has much to be proud ofBill77 has much to be proud ofBill77 has much to be proud ofBill77 has much to be proud ofBill77 has much to be proud ofBill77 has much to be proud ofBill77 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Sixteen View Post
As for the etymology of Odyssey, it has already been discussed somewhere in the forum. The name Odysseus is probably related to the verb odyssomai (=To be angry, wroth, incensed, to rage) which Homer DOES use 18 times in his work
Western Scholars came to a conclusion Odyssey meaning "Journey"
Hence the modern day usage of the term Odyssey.

You are not suggesting scholars have got this wrong are you?

Odisi I serise
Old 06-05-2014, 05:47 AM   #16
Sweet Sixteen
Banned

Sweet Sixteen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill77 View Post
Western Scholars came to a conclusion Odyssey meaning "Journey"
No, they don't. Where did you see that?
Sweet Sixteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:40 PM   #17
George S.

ss odi means to go in Macedonian.odissey means journry to go on to a journey.
"Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
GOTSE DELCEV
Old 06-06-2014, 09:33 PM   #18
Chakalarov

Chakalarov is on a distinguished road

I think we are going off topic here. I believe there is a thread specifically devoted to the etymology of Odyssey. I am concerned with the sources for these words that some websites claim are found in Homer's works.
Chakalarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #19
George S.

chak In general, "Pelasgian" has come to mean more broadly all the indigenous inhabitants of the Aegean Sea region and their cultures before the advent of the Greek language.
Homer,
The Pelasgians first appear in the poems of Homer: those who are stated to be Pelasgians in the Iliad are among the allies of Troy. In the section known as the Catalogue of Trojans, they are mentioned between mentions of the Hellespontine cities and the Thracians of south-eastern Europe (i.e., on the Hellespontine border of Thrace). Homer calls their town or district "Larisa"and characterises it as fertile, and its inhabitants as celebrated for their spearsmanship He records their chiefs as Hippothous and Pylaeus, sons of Lethus son of Teutamus, thus giving all of them names that were Greek or so thoroughly Hellenized that any foreign element has been effaced.

In the Odyssey, Odysseus, affecting to be Cretan himself, instances Pelasgians among the tribes in the ninety cities of Crete, "language mixing with language side by side".
GOTSE DELCEV
Old 06-08-2014, 10:03 PM   #20
Chakalarov

Chakalarov is on a distinguished road

So, if Homer's works were the result of oral tradition, what exactly is Homeric Greek? Was it even used during the supposed Homer era 750 BC- 650 BC? Furthermore, if the poems were orally passed down, what dialect of Greek are they written in in the sources I mentioned in my first post?
Chakalarov is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
homer, illiad, odyssey, slavic