View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 11:44 PM   #5
Soldier of Macedon

Soldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond reputeSoldier of Macedon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko777 View Post
Notice on the bottom it says "20 July 1903" - the real date of Ilinden
Just to clarify something about the 'real' date. The Gregorian calendar, which is what modern states use today, leaps forward from the original Julian calendar (which is approximately 1,600 years older) by almost two weeks. In Ottoman times, which is when this flag was made, we used the Julian calendar exclusively. Our church today still does for actual religious dates, but it superficially applies the Gregorian calendar dates. For instance, we still celebrate Ilinden on 20 July according to the Julian calendar, but on the same day it is 2 August in the Gregorian calendar. Same for Christmas, we celebrate it on 25 December according to the Julian calendar but on the same day it is 7 January in the Gregorian calendar. This is why I find it a little odd that our people in Ovčarani celebrate Ilinden on 20 July of the Gregorian calendar, because it's about two weeks earlier than the actual date according to the Julian calendar used by Orthodox Christians (including Macedonians during the Ilinden Uprising and prior to the usurpation of their lands by the Greek state). This is my understanding. I'm not an expert on this topic so if I have mistaken something anybody can feel free to correct it.