View Single Post
Old 02-16-2019, 05:53 PM   #8
Carlin

Carlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that. You created this thread. You made the statement. The onus is on you to support it with evidence rather than me to refute something which hasn't been proven. Let's test the validity of your theory. There will be time to discuss my thoughts on the subject.

Now, for the first reference you provided. The article suggests a direct link between the so-called Prague Culture and people who spoke Proto-Slavic. It also connects the even earlier finds in southern Belarus with the ancestors of such people. Are you able to explain exactly what these associations are based on? How has it been determined that these finds are directly tied to the people who spoke Proto-Slavic?

For your second reference, was there supposed to be a link to the paper somewhere? Apparently the homeland of the "Slavs" can be determined by names of trees and fish, placing them east of the Carpathian mountains. OK. Is that it? How about providing some further information on how this individual came to that conclusion?
As far as I know it is pretty much an accepted fact that the Slavic migrations to the Balkans took place in the 6th-7th c. AD. I am proposing and believe (I could be totally wrong) that some Slavic settlements in the Balkans occurred even prior to 6th century, and have used a few releveant quotes, although strong evidence is almost non-existing. Epicenter of the second Slavic Palatalization likely happened from the 5th century, and it is very possible that this was taking place among the Slavs in the Balkans at this time.

1) The associations made by experts in this field are based on archaeological and written evidence:

- The system of settlements; on the territory occupied by Prague culture the distinctive form of dwelling is a square-shaped pit hut with a stove in one corner
- An economic model, dominated by agriculture
- The burial rite cremations deposited in pits, urned or not, with little or no grave goods

http://www.mpov.uw.edu.pl/en/thesaur...peoples/slavs-

2) There is no link - I was not able to find. Sadly not everything is available online, although what I provided is a good summary of arguments. Perhaps, it's out there but I couldn't find it. I really think that determining or developing a hypothesis on the homeland of the Slavs can be done by linguistics - such as analyzing names of trees and fish (I don't see an issue there, do you?).
Carlin is offline   Reply With Quote