View Single Post
Old 05-08-2021, 03:25 PM   #33
Carlin

Carlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud ofCarlin has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
Vlachs were indeed attested south of the Danube before any mention of their presence further north. Historical sources record many different peoples residing in Dacia during the early Middle Ages. Not only was it a common transit area, it was often used as a staging point to conduct raids into the (eastern) Roman Empire. In that region, the exonym Vlach was referenced late, and the endonym Roman (as it pertains to Romanian-speakers) even later, yet Romanian became the language of the majority. If you had to provide an informed opinion, how do you think Romanian became dominant in Dacia? Were the speakers of that language the majority throughout the period of scant references who only asserted themselves later? Were they a minority that was augmented by speakers of kindred dialects from the Balkans in something of a reverse-migration? Or did the circumstances occur entirely differently? I understand that much of this discussion is speculative and am open to adjusting my viewpoint on any of the above if opposing perspectives are based on sound logic and evidence, but I am interested in your thoughts on this matter nonetheless, and I trust you won't take two years to respond as I did
Hi SoM,

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the Romanian-speakers were the majority in the area that asserted themselves later. There were others to be sure, namely, the Slavs, Magyars or even Germans. Over the centuries the Romanian-speakers merged with or assimilated the Cumans and Slavs I believe.

It seems the myth of Romanian migration into Transylvania (Dacia) appeared as a response to Transylvanian Romanians demands for political and economic rights from the Austro-Hungarian Empire in the second half of the 18th century. Stories about Romanian origins south of the Danube were not mentioned for example in the fifteenth century biography of Hungarian King Matthias Corvinus, son of John Hunyadi, who was a Transylvanian Romanian. Rather, their origin was tied to Roman colonization of Dacia (modern Transylvania). It's unfortunate that a lot of "theories" in the Balkans, in this case the Romanians, are politically motivated.
Carlin is offline   Reply With Quote