View Single Post
Old 06-06-2015, 11:26 PM   #117
TheNikoWhiteIch

TheNikoWhiteIch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphipolis View Post
I would disagree only with the last one:

Greeks also had the word phalos (φαλός, not to be confused with phallos= phallus) which also meant white, bright, shiny. It is related to phalakros (bald headed), that was balakros in Macedonia (a common first name, met in 4 or 5 different persons in the days of Alexander). Also, the name of a mountain in Eastern Macedonia, Thrace (probably at the Greek-Bulgarian borders).

===
According to Serafimov, in his paper "Etymological Analysis of Thracian Toponyms and Hydronyms," the original (ancient) Macedonian name for the Belasitza mountain range was "Βάλάκρος (Balakros)."

Quote:
Oρβέλος (Orbelos) was Thracian name of the mountain Belasitsa. According Georgiev it means White Mountain, coming from the Phrygian, or Peonian – Βελον, corresponding to Bulgarian бел (bel) white. To that I would like to add that bel, bjal– white is common Slavic word. The Macedonian name of Oρβέλος was Βάλάκρος, which Georgiev sees as Βάλ-άκρος – White top [3], p. 33. Βάλ means white, and άκρος corresponds in my opinion to the Phrygian word akris – end, top [14], p. 158, related to Russian крыша (krǎiša) roof, top, and also to Slovene word kraj - end, Serbian and Bulgarian words край (krai) – top, end.
In my opinion, I see -akros as being the same word that is found in Greek. On the other hand, Bal- seems to correspond more with the Slavic Bjal. Here, Macedonian undergoes a similar development from a common root that is found in the Thracian -belo(s) (from Orbelos) and the Paeonian Byl(a)- (from Bylazora). Now, Βαλακρός (Balakros) according to Henry George Liddell's dictionary on Macedonian was the Macedonian version of "Φαλακρός (Phalakros)" (bald-headed). I'm not certain how much of a difference the difference in accents makes, but it seems to be enough to be noted as 2 different words by these two linguists.
TheNikoWhiteIch is offline   Reply With Quote