View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 10:28 PM   #8
Gocka

Gocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud ofGocka has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karposh View Post
I'm not really sure what my point is that I'm trying to make with this but I heard something interesting on TV recently which I think is worth something to ponder on - historians and anthropologists generally take a single 30 year period in time as constituting one human generation. When you consider and measure time in terms of human generations rather than years passed, it kind of puts things in a different light and adds a bit of perspective to things.

I'll explain what I mean. In the context of this thread, "Explaining Antiquity", it's easy to regard the Ancient Macedonians as something intangible and impossible to link to Modern Macedonians because, as has often been stressed, too many years have passed and, with all the migrations of people, wars and other factors that have occurred during that time, trying to associate ourselves with the Ancient Macedonians is a difficult, if not an impossible task. However, if you take the 2,300 year period that separates us from the time of Phillip and Alexander, and measure it in terms of human generations, then the number doesn't seem that daunting - 77 generations.

We can take this further and break up our recent history this way. Let's take the example of the 16th Century Macedonian Lexicon from Bogatsko which shows the incredible similarity between modern standard Macedonian and the non-codified Macedonian spoken from the 1500's that our ancestors spoke. Approximately 500 years separates us from the time the lexicon was written to today. That's a mere 16-17 generations.

One more example, the Ilinden Uprising from 1903. Here we are talking about approximately 4 generations, i.e. as recently as our Great-Grandfathers if we are currently in our 40's.
It does seem less daunting and not as far away when you condense it to 77 from 2300. I see what your getting at. The thing is most people probably don't know anyone in their family past 4 generations, if someone kept good documentation maybe 7, that leaves you with 70 people in your lineage. All it takes is for 1 of those 70 to move and it changes everything.

I live in the USA you live in Australia, our lineage going forward will be from those places and in 2 or 3 generations our decedents might not even know they were Macedonian. Intermarriage is another. If 1 person in 70 mated with another ethnicity, the entire lineage going forward has been reduced to 50%. I imagine how many out of 70 either moved or intermarried or both. In the span of 5 generations you can go from 100% Macedonian living in Macedonia to less than 10% and living anywhere.

Now the Ilinden uprising is a whole different matter. Like you said people who are alive today probably remember their family members who may have been a part of it, and yet think how distant that seems, especially with everything that has happened lately.

Also when I go through the raw numbers and calculations like I just did it really makes me want to punch a Greek in the face.
Gocka is offline   Reply With Quote