Thread: Boys names
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2018, 08:06 PM   #10
vicsinad

vicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud ofvicsinad has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphipolis View Post
I see Amphipolis was trying to be cute.

Olympia is a name on this ancient Macedonian names list. It's convenient that I wrote about an Olympia in my Macedonians in America book. Here's a snippet about Olympia Reges in Washington, DC from the 1960s. The part in bold is probably the most important part for this conversation.

Quote:
Moreover, sometimes Macedonian-Americans who had no official political standing (and who had no intention of making any political impacts) managed to make political statements, patriotic statements, and etiquette statements all at the same time. During the Kennedy Administration in the 1960s, for example, Supreme Court Justice William Douglas, Interior Secretary Steward Udall and a bunch of other important national figures trekked 25 miles up the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal in Washington, D.C. and Maryland to raise money for the canal’s restoration. But “it was a rainy, miserably muddy day” and the group of 40 decided to stop for a break at Old Angler’s Inn, a restaurant owned by Olympia Reges.488

Olympia had just spent all her expendable savings to buy new furniture, carpeting and decorations for her place. So, when the political brass came in to rest, without spending any money, and without being respectful to the cleanly environment at Olympia’s restaurant, she kicked all the politicians out. “Nobody comes into my place dressed like a tramp,” said Olympia. “It doesn’t matter who they are. If they would have asked, I would have made arrangements. But they just barged in here as though they felt they owned the place. It was shameful. I was embarrassed for them.”489

Political commentators and politicians blasted her in the media for her “lack of respect for public officials” and her ungracious attitude toward the businessmen and politicians who made it possible for her to succeed in this country. The Kennedy administration simply laughed at her peasant understanding of how to treat officials. But hundreds of ordinary women from around the country wrote her letters of support, envious of the opportunity she had to stick it to the man.

And when Olympia was being interviewed for this act of political rebellion, the interviewer mistook her for a Greek. As he stated, he learned his lesson: “But Olympia Reges, not a Greek, but a Macedonian, she will tell you in no uncertain terms, is not a lady to be trifled with.”491 In one gesture, the Macedonian, Olympia Reges, taught American politicians about respect, power and the Macedonian identity.
So cheers! This one is to ethnic Macedonians with modern names and ancient names!

Last edited by vicsinad; 08-19-2018 at 08:12 PM.
vicsinad is offline   Reply With Quote