View Single Post
Old 09-20-2021, 06:26 AM   #997
YuriB

YuriB is on a distinguished road

Hi all! I just ran into this article, which reminded me of this forum. You might know about it already but a quick search didn't show anything.

The article suggests a much stronger connection of Greeks with farmers in Anatolia (modern day Turkey), Caucasus and Iran. Less of a connection but still present from hunter gatherers from the north. Having lived outside Greece for many years now, I can also confirm that the people who seem to look most like Greeks are Iranians, Turks and Iraqis. Although, the connection I see might be more recent due to the population exchange. Or maybe it's just me seeing this 😊

BTW, hope you're all healthy given the COVID situation.. NZ, as you might know, is in lockdown..

URL:
https://www.nature.com/articles/nature23310

Title:
Genetic origins of the Minoans and Mycenaeans

Abstract:
The origins of the Bronze Age Minoan and Mycenaean cultures have puzzled archaeologists for more than a century. We have assembled genome-wide data from 19 ancient individuals, including Minoans from Crete, Mycenaeans from mainland Greece, and their eastern neighbours from southwestern Anatolia. Here we show that Minoans and Mycenaeans were genetically similar, having at least three-quarters of their ancestry from the first Neolithic farmers of western Anatolia and the Aegean1,2, and most of the remainder from ancient populations related to those of the Caucasus3 and Iran4,5. However, the Mycenaeans differed from Minoans in deriving additional ancestry from an ultimate source related to the hunter–gatherers of eastern Europe and Siberia6,7,8, introduced via a proximal source related to the inhabitants of either the Eurasian steppe1,6,9 or Armenia4,9. Modern Greeks resemble the Mycenaeans, but with some additional dilution of the Early Neolithic ancestry. Our results support the idea of continuity but not isolation in the history of populations of the Aegean, before and after the time of its earliest civilizations.