Macedonian Truth Forum

Macedonian Truth Forum (http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/index.php)
-   Exposing Lies and Propaganda (http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Interview with Nikola Karev 1903 I am Macedonian (http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5666)

Voltron 07-07-2011 03:16 AM

Ive been meaning to tell you Daskalot.
I looked at it, and didnt find the page you were referring too. I think you got it all.

Ok I saw the paragraph, give me a sec, youll have it.

Daskalot 07-07-2011 03:25 AM

[QUOTE=Voltron;104502]Ive been meaning to tell you Daskalot.
I looked at it, and didnt find the page you were referring too. I think you got it all.[/QUOTE]

The top part of this page where it starts with 'APO VITOLIA' until Ion's first question 'Are you Macedonian'.
[img]http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8417/ionosdragoumitatetradia.jpg[/img]

Voltron 07-07-2011 03:46 AM

[QUOTE=Daskalot;104507]The top part of this page where it starts with 'APO VITOLIA' until Ion's first question 'Are you Macedonian'.
[img]http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8417/ionosdragoumitatetradia.jpg[/img][/QUOTE]

From Bitola I had the... pleasure and honor of meeting with a "Bulgarianised" Macedonian teacher, member of the "Commitee" named Karev.

With this man I met by chance in the Hotel of Monastiri or Otel Monastir as they say it in Bitola. First of all this gentleman was very hesitant towards me. Prior though we were introduced by a Greek from Krushovo Papagouda was his name.

Although there was some suspiscous glares on him (Karev), He didnt hesitate to tell me he was a Bulgarophone and member of the Committee.

Daskalot 07-07-2011 04:31 AM

[QUOTE=Voltron;104510]From Bitola I had the... pleasure and honor of meeting with a "Bulgarianised" Macedonian teacher, member of the "Commitee" named Karev.

With this man I met by chance in the Hotel of Monastiri or Otel Monastir as they say it in Bitola. First of all this gentleman was very hesitant towards me. Prior though we were introduced by a Greek from Krushovo Papagouda was his name.

Although there was some suspiscous glares on him (Karev), He didnt hesitate to tell me he was a Bulgarophone and member of the Committee.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Voltron, but you have made a little mistake, in the last sentence it is written BULGAROPHRONE not Bulgarophone, meaning Bulgar leaning not Bulgar sounding.

George S. 07-07-2011 04:56 AM

yeah what's taking so long to translate it??

Voltron 07-07-2011 05:16 AM

[QUOTE=Daskalot;104517]Thank you Voltron, but you have made a little mistake, in the last sentence it is written BULGAROPHRONE not Bulgarophone, meaning Bulgar leaning not Bulgar sounding.[/QUOTE]

lol, Il be damned there is a " r " in there. How did you come about the meaning Daksalot ? You know some Greek ?

George, To answer your question. I didnt notice the small intro in the beginning of the Interview. Like I said I thought it was all covered. :glare:

Daskalot 07-07-2011 05:17 AM

[QUOTE=George S.;104520]yeah what's taking so long to translate it??[/QUOTE]

George it is already done, just look above. He just did not know which part I was referring to.

Daskalot 07-07-2011 05:22 AM

[QUOTE=Voltron;104522]lol, Il be damned there is a " r " in there. How did you come about the meaning Daksalot ? You know some Greek ?

George, To answer your question. I didnt notice the small intro in the beginning of the Interview. Like I said I thought it was all covered. :glare:[/QUOTE]

It is easy to miss, yes I do know some Greek. Is my translation of 'phrones' correct?

Voltron 07-07-2011 05:34 AM

yes, its more or less correct. Keep it up !

Bill77 07-07-2011 05:39 AM

[QUOTE=Daskalot;104517]Thank you Voltron, but you have made a little mistake, in the last sentence it is written [B]BULGAROPHRONE not Bulgarophone, meaning Bulgar leaning not Bulgar sounding[/B].[/QUOTE]It makes sense especially when you take a quote from Karev him self,

[B][NIKOLA KAREV][/B] -My answer is that the Committee is not Bulgarian, and second, it seems that we lean towards Bulgaria
because only they seem to be willing to help us.

And on top of that, was it not the Greek PM at the time concerned about the influence (Help) of Bulgaria which made him say something along the lines of "If Bulgaria wins, Macedonia will become Bulgarian, if Greece wins, Macedonia will become Greek". Its possible he was talking about a PR war.

So clearly he was troubled by the Bulgarian assistance and the affect it had on Macedonians who showed gratitude (Lean) towards Bulgarians.

Daskalot 07-07-2011 05:46 AM

Bill thank you for your input, yes it was all a propaganda war.

Daskalot 07-07-2011 06:01 AM

In what language was this interview conducted? The interview is entered in Greek in Ion's book but was it conducted in Greek as well? Or was it conducted in Turkish or even Macedonian? What are your opinions on this?

Voltron 07-07-2011 06:43 AM

[QUOTE=Daskalot;104529]In what language was this interview conducted? The interview is entered in Greek in Ion's book but was it conducted in Greek as well? Or was it conducted in Turkish or even Macedonian? What are your opinions on this?[/QUOTE]

We can rule out Turkish, I cant see for the life of me why it would be in Turkish.

What I would like to know is who is Tasku Kvata (owner) and what ethnic background he is.

Daskalot 07-07-2011 06:51 AM

[QUOTE=Voltron;104536]We can rule out Turkish, I cant see for the life of me why it would be in Turkish.

What I would like to know is who is Tasku Kvata (owner) and what ethnic background he is.[/QUOTE]

I have a feeling that Tasku is of Vlach origin. Likewise for the guy from Krushevo.
Why not Turkish? Ion was a diplomat in the Ottoman Empire.

Voltron 07-07-2011 07:00 AM

Would Karev known Turkish ?

Ok here comes my next question. Why would a Vlach call Karev a Bulgarian ?

Daskalot 07-07-2011 07:11 AM

[QUOTE=Voltron;104540]Would Karev known Turkish ?

Ok here comes my next question. Why would a Vlach call Karev a Bulgarian ?[/QUOTE]

He probabely would have.
A Vlach belonging to the Patriarchate would most likely call a Macedonian who belongs to the Exarchate a Bulgarian.
But we have also the reference 'thickheaded' as in simple and uneducated, thus implying a peasant. Two possible explanations, what are yours?

Voltron 07-07-2011 07:17 AM

The term "thickheaded" has often been used to refer to Bulgarians. The Greeks also use that stereotype when they refer to Bulgarians. Regarding your explanation, Are you saying that religous identification was used at the time and not ethnic ?

Daskalot 07-07-2011 07:35 AM

[QUOTE=Voltron;104543]The term "thickheaded" has often been used to refer to Bulgarians. The Greeks also use that stereotype when they refer to Bulgarians. Regarding your explanation, Are you saying that religous identification was used at the time and not ethnic ?[/QUOTE]

Would you care to explaine why Greeks did this? Were all Bulgarians really 'thickheaded', or does this label stem from somewhere else?
And yes a Vlach belonging to the Patriarchate would most likely call him or herself a Greek as a Muslim Macedonian would most likely call him or herself a Turk.

Voltron 07-07-2011 07:39 AM

Its a stereotype, They probably were known for being thickheaded.
Although I will try to dig up info on how that term was born.

If this Vlach did belong to the Patriarch why the heck is his name Tasku ?!
Shouldnt it be a Greek name ? Tassos ? lol.

Daskalot 07-07-2011 07:44 AM

Maybe, our discussion relating to the ethnicity of Tasku is hypothetical. Until we have some evidence, we really do not know, but there are some things pointing in that direction.

Voltron 07-07-2011 07:48 AM

dont get me wrong Daskale, Your probably right in him being a Vlach.
I was just saying...Anyway its a good topic.

El Bre 07-07-2011 10:36 AM

The name tasku or tashku looks iranian to me.

Daskalot 07-08-2011 06:23 AM

[img]http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8417/ionosdragoumitatetradia.jpg[/img][quote]

ANNEX 21
Athens, Thursday 8th May 1903

FROM BITOLA
INTERVIEW WITH A MEMBER OF THE COMMITTEE

In Bitola I had the... pleasure and honor of meeting with a bulgarianised Macedonian teacher, a member of the Committee named Karev.

With this man I met by chance in the hotel of "Monastiri" or "Otel Monastir" as they say it in Bitola. First of all this gentleman was very hesitant towards me. Prior though we were introduced by a Greek from Krushovo Papagouda was his name.

Although there was some suspicious glares on him (Karev), He did not hesitate to tell me he was Bulgar leaning and member of the Committee.[/quote]
I have added the last parts of the translation, namely the title of this passage and the date.

Pelister 07-12-2011 01:42 AM

[QUOTE=Daskalot;104529]In what language was this interview conducted? The interview is entered in Greek in Ion's book but was it conducted in Greek as well? Or was it conducted in Turkish or even Macedonian? What are your opinions on this?[/QUOTE]

Important questions, plus who is 'Ion'? Can the interview be corroborated because this tesimony contradicts secret Greek government finding.

Lorenzo 10-21-2011 02:38 PM

[IMG]http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m568/LorenzoKurovski/ionosdragoumitatetradia-5.jpg[/IMG]

George S. 10-21-2011 06:59 PM

lorenzo see if you can provide a suitable translation as the google translation doesn't work.

Daskalot 11-02-2011 11:25 AM

Nice to see the final page of the interview. Thank you Lorenzo.
Voltron, you did a great job translating the first part, could you do the same with the last page as well?

DedoAleko 11-02-2011 03:29 PM

[QUOTE=El Bre;104572]The name tasku or tashku looks iranian to me.[/QUOTE]

My grandmothers birth name was Taska (Tashka). Her family's origin is from Krushevo. When I talked with her about the origin of her name and the possibility of being a Valachi or non Macedonian, she specifically told me that her parents and grandparents were Macedonians from Krushevo.

It is interesting to add that when the bulgars came they changed and issued her new documents with new name-Nadezda, but soon the serbs came and they did the same thing,but she got her third name this time-Nada.

Edit:
Taska-Meaning of the name
(Latin) born on Christmas;(old greek) ressurection

[ syll. tas-ka, ta-ska ] The baby girl name Taska is pronounced as TAESKah †. Taska is used predominantly in Latvian, Lithuanian, and Russian, and its origin is Old Greek and Latin.

Taska is a variation (Latvian, Lithuanian, and Russian) of the name Anastasia (English, German, Greek, and Russian).
Taska is also a variation (Russian) of the name Natalie (English, French, and German).
izvor: [url]http://www.babynamespedia.com/meaning/Taska[/url]

Voltron 11-03-2011 06:15 AM

[QUOTE=Daskalot;113607]Nice to see the final page of the interview. Thank you Lorenzo.
Voltron, you did a great job translating the first part, could you do the same with the last page as well?[/QUOTE]

I saw the last part posted somewhere. You can see the left side doesnt show that great.

- Karev didnt answer me. I ask...And now after the latest developments, what do you plan to do ?
- Nothing else but to continue the struggle.
- Yes, but dont you know through the manual struggle is a struggle of cowardly " its blurry but i am assuming he means actions "
- Its unimportant as long as it meets our goal.
- "blurry" doesnt murder bother you ?
- As long as its for the good of one's people
- "blurry again" These are they types of teachers you had and the education you learnt, or as "blurry" Greece during/against Mastrogianni, Bulgaria and his ?. Again he did not answer me but only got up and slowly went towards his room as others behind him in other areas of the hotel " ? blurry " at his words.

Il try to refine it later, or look for a better shot of that page.

Daskalot 11-03-2011 08:28 AM

[QUOTE=Voltron;113658]I saw the last part posted somewhere. You can see the left side doesnt show that great.

- Karev didnt answer me. I ask...And now after the latest developments, what do you plan to do ?
- Nothing else but to continue the struggle.
- Yes, but dont you know through the manual struggle is a struggle of cowardly " its blurry but i am assuming he means actions "
- Its unimportant as long as it meets our goal.
- "blurry" doesnt murder bother you ?
- As long as its for the good of one's people
- "blurry again" These are they types of teachers you had and the education you learnt, or as "blurry" Greece during/against Mastrogianni, Bulgaria and his ?. Again he did not answer me but only got up and slowly went towards his room as others behind him in other areas of the hotel " ? blurry " at his words.

Il try to refine it later, or look for a better shot of that page.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Voltron, it seems to correlate well with the English translation at the beginning of this thread.
If there is a better scan/photo available please provide it, or maybe Lorenzo can make a new scan?

Perun 07-12-2012 10:48 AM

Wow, thank you for this! I realize that the thread is over a year old, but I just have to say I enjoyed reading Karev's interview very much. He was a wise and practical man - as were many other of our revolutionaries. When you've suffered 500 years of Ottoman tirany, you take what help is offered to you and break free.