• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George S.
    • Aug 2009

f Time – Chapter 3 - Part 1
    Risto StefovJuly 09, 2012
    Kostur, compared to ten years ago, has become unrecognizable. The old, timeless market by the lakeshore has been turned into a city park. The only thing that has not changed is the fish market. The stores selling fish have remained as they were a long time ago. They were and still are operated by the fishermen from the village Mavrovo. The city stadium is gone and in its place is a new, recently built square. Part of the square substitutes as a market a couple of times a week. The place is clean and neat and a city government building has been added to it. Thanks to the European Union no doubt.

The winding road along the coast has been widened, paved and crammed with café´s, taverns, restaurants and small shops. There are seventy Orthodox churches in the city, most of which are older that five hundred years and built Byzantine style. This makes the city an exquisite tourist attraction. At the end there is a small square and in front of it, standing high up on a monument, is a statue of Bishop Karavangelis. Painted on the chest of the statue in black paint is the word "executioner". Beside Karavangelis´s statue is a headless statue of General Van Fleet, the Unites States general who commanded the Greek government generals during the Greek Civil War. But that´s not all; there are also other surprises and skeletons in Kostur.

We ordered coffee at the café (built of wood and decorated with many items made of plastic) next to the lake.

"Two Turkish coffees please," I said to the waiter.

"If you want Turkish coffee, go to Turkey," he replied angrily; a pale looking young man possibly suffering from insomnia. "We only serve Greek coffee here," he added strongly as he swatted a fly on the table with a towel.

After we drank our "Greek" coffee and the free water offered at this café, we left and went to the City Centre.

There were many stores side by side at the Kostur Centre, exhibiting mostly fur in their display windows. The fur trade was the oldest trade in the region and only the people of Kostur had the right to practice it by decree from the Sultan. But in the last thirty years or so the fur trade was taken over by the surrounding villages and towns, mostly by Russians. After the fall of the Soviet Union, Russians with big money (only they know where they got it) came to Kostur and the surrounding region and built shops and on them they hung billboards with the inscription "SHUBЫ" (sheaths, furs) and since then the famous and renowned Kostur fur traders have become Russian employees and wage earners.

Out of curiosity we entered one of the stores. We looked at the fur coats and admired them without touching but were surprised and astonished at their very high prices. The talkative clerk, a middle-aged man, followed us around explaining and praising the merchandise in an attempt to make a sale and when we stepped further away from the door, in an almost whispering voice, he asked in Macedonian: "Are you from Serbia?"

"No," I said. "Serbia is further up, to the north of where we come from."

"Oh…" he said.

"And you?" I asked

"I am from here, from Macedonia… Greece is further south…" he said quietly and with his hand pointed to the south.

When we exited the store he asked: "From which city are you…"

"We live in a city but we were born in a village here," I replied.

"Which one?" he asked.

I said, "Polianemon."

"I know it," he boasted. "Its old name is Krchishta. Am I right?"

"Yes you are right. And that´s where we are going," I replied.

"What will you be doing there? There is nothing there except wind after which the village got its new name!" he yelled out loud, stunned. "Nothing, believe me, there is nothing…"

"That´s okay Sir, then we will see nothing…" I answered.

"Χρηστε και Παναγια!..." (Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary) he said in Greek and crossed himself.

The once terrible, potholed and narrow road leading from Dolno Papratsko to Krchishta has now been widened and paved with asphalt. The road ended where the threshing fields once used to be. On our way we made a stop at a place called Vishomo. Close to there, where the land rises and widens, is a church and all around the church there is nothing, only emptiness. The village Krchishta used to occupy that emptiness. As I stared at the desolate space where my village used to be, I was overwhelmed with a certain sickness and chills ran down my spine. The village was here but now it´s gone, only its name remains, a name given to it a long time ago, a name that means the "crackle" of chestnuts. I remember the old people saying that the name Krchishta was given to the village a very long time ago.

As I recall, a story was told that went something like this: During the Ottoman War against the Poles, which took place in 1689, a Beg (Ottoman officer) distinguished himself as a good fighter during the attack and capture of the city Hochim, so the Sultan rewarded him by giving him five villages and their residents, houses and land. So this Beg, in order to enlarge his fields, ordered the villagers to destroy the chestnut groves and their homes and relocate to a sandy, barren and less productive place. There he ordered them to build new houses for themselves, a house for himself and a mosque. The villagers did as ordered and, in respect of God, would not destroy the village churches. So the only buildings left standing, as markers of where the villages once used to be, were the five churches: Sveta Petka, Sveti Atanas, Sveti Giorgi, Sveti Jovan and Sveti Ilia. These church buildings survived the test of time, rebellions and wars.

There was a grove of tall oak trees to the left of the road from where we were standing. "There," I said to my wife pointing at the oak trees, "is where the village Dolno Vishomo used to be and under the oaks was the church, Sveta Petka. We walked across the road to the oak grove and stood under its magnificent shade. Unfortunately there was nothing left of the old church, not even its foundation. The only things we found were a couple of rocks, some broken ceramic tiles, remnants of the old church and part of a burned candle stuck in the ground amongst the tiles. It was quiet in the grove except for the sounds made by the rustling leaves of the oak trees in a gentle breeze. A flock of ravens flew over us and disappeared beyond the forest. The sight gave me pain and chills. With a heavy breath we crossed ourselves and silently walked away and headed for my village.

The wide road ended where the village threshing yards used to be. To the left there was a wide metal door and behind it was a wide yard divided by a fence, behind which calves were mooing. There were many calves. On the opposite side was a house. A dog, tied to a post, was barking. A young man came out of the house. He greeted us in Greek and asked, "Are you looking for someone?"

"Yes…" I said, with tearing eyes as I looked over the entire yard…

"For who?" he asked.

I got a lump in my throat, my knees got weak and my chin began to tremble.

"My name is Lefteris. Please come in," he said inviting us inside the small house.

"First we will walk over to the elms," I said, "and then we will return…"

We left the car outside the farm (for fattening calves) and at a slow pace we walked on the street so that I could show my wife the village. After taking a few steps I closed my eyes to the emptiness, overgrown grass and weeds and in my imagination replaced them with the homes of the Nanovtsi, Damovtsi, Purdovtsi, Laskini, Popovtsi, Donovtsi, Liapovtsi, Pindzovtsi, Penovtsi, Shkoklovtsi, Trajkovci, Nakovtsi, Pandovtsi, Filiovtsi, Guliovtsi and other families. I imagined the fifty-four houses that existed here, in several rows, under whose roofs once lived over four hundred souls. I tried to imagine the feeling of the fifty or so other souls, who at the time were pechalbars (migrant workers) overseas, gone beyond the great waters, who never got a chance to return to see their homes and to visit with their families.

I spoke at great length, telling my wife about each house and the people who had lived in it, about the streets, about the time of the Greek Civil War during which forty-three people were mobilized from whom twenty-nine were killed. I told her about the fifty-four children that were taken to Eastern European countries and about the seven families who fled to Kostur and Rupishta and all the other families that were exiled and scattered around the world.

"Well," I said to her, "this emptiness was once a village and this void was once filled with life ..." "And here," I said, "where we now stand was the house where I was born…" "Here," I said, "was the large wooden door that was locked from the inside with a thick wooden lever. And there was the garden and behind it was the outdoor oven. Here is where the steps that led to the second floor used to be." "Here," I said, "is where my mother Fimka brought eight children into this world of whom three were given rifles, four were collected and sent to the Eastern European countries and one, the youngest, died in Albania. My brother, her third born son, left his soul in Gramos just before reaching his eighteenth birthday. So Fimka was left alone and, abroad where she lived, every night she dreamt the same dream - that some day soon all her children would again be together and have a meal at the same dinner table..."

My thoughts had taken me back to a time gone by, but then, for a moment I returned to reality, to the emptiness which again reawakened more memories, seeming like they were tied together by a chain, flooding back, pushing, scratching, pounding, squeezing, burning and creating sorrow. To calm my spirit I kicked some soil with my foot and out came a broken ceramic tile and underneath it, in the ashes, was a broken stone. I picked it up and blew away the ashes with my warm breath and then placed it near my heart but I could not feel my heart beating, it felt as if it too had turned to stone....

I took my photo album out of my backpack; a photo-album to which I had been adding old photographs year after year and from the photographs life began to sprout. Who were those people in the old photographs? What had dhappened to them? Who went where and who returned from where? Where are they today and what happened to them in the past?

Where!

The images of the people in the photographs seem to float, to come alive, to reflect on the life which now appears to me only in spirit and in shadows. Through the photographs I was able to see the people with their joy, sorrow and pain of what once was. What once was, is now gone. The families are gone. The houses are gone. Everything is gone. Only the ghosts and the shadows of the ghosts remain...

I look at the images in the photographs and imagine the people leaving, taking the road to banishment.

To what country did they go?

To what unknown latitudes of the world did time take them?

When did they leave?

Under what circumstances did they leave?

Did they travel one behind the other?

Did they leave quickly, en masse?

Time…

What is time and what are people in time?

Time kills.

Time wounds.

Time heals.

Time forgets.

Time leaves no footprints.

Time destroys.

Time is a killer.

Is time a witness?

Time passes.

Time brings concerns.

Time remembers.

Time tells.

Time verifies.

Time accepts and rejects.

It is said at this and this time.

During the time of great upheaval.

During the time of war.

During the time of so and so plagues.

We are here. At the empty, naked, scarred place.

Time has passed, it has expired.

And here, now, at this time, today, at this moment of time, we are in a moment of time.

We are at the time divided between now and yesterday.

Time…

Whose and what kind of time?...

We are here in time past, time without people and without homes; we are here in time present without life, only empty fields and flocks of crows.

Time.

Whose time?

What kind of time?

Time for what?

Time measured with what?

Time marked with what and how?

Time lost.

Time brings.

Time brings what?

Time of happiness.

Time of hunger.

Time of fear.

For victims, lies and curses.

Time for cursing, lies and betrayals.

Time for cursing and waiting.

Time compressed between times.

What kind?

Time for remembering.

Remembering what?

Time for existence, time for endurance, time for safeguarding time.

Here time was measured with time for digging foundations, for carving stones, for building walls, for laying roof tiles, for plowing and sowing, for living, for reaping crops, for celebrations, for holidays, for growing and aging, for happiness and sadness, for life…

After that time came time for war. It was a time of bad times, a time of great promises and many lies. It was time to separate the children from their mothers, it was time for eradication. It was a time of silence of the church bells. It was a time without faith in God.

Where did time stop?

Now there is only time for recollection of time past so that time past is not forgotten. Here now there is only now.

Will it last only that much, as long as we remain bowed over the burned out places and foundation remains of our homes?

Time remains in us forever preserved and baked in our memory.

Time over which the fog and dust of forgetfulness whirls and glides.

It is time for the fog to lift.

It is time for the dust that rests in time to be blown off.

It is time for ripening.

It is time to change time.

By Petre Nakovski

Translated and edited by Risto Stefov

Other articles by Risto Stefov:

Free electronic books by Risto Stefov available at:

Our Name is Macedonia

You can contact the author at [email protected]
    Print Email

Risto Stefov

Author's Profile
    Author's Other Articles
    Author's RSS Feed
    "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
      • Aug 2009

f Time – Chapter 3 - Part 1
      Risto StefovJuly 09, 2012
      Kostur, compared to ten years ago, has become unrecognizable. The old, timeless market by the lakeshore has been turned into a city park. The only thing that has not changed is the fish market. The stores selling fish have remained as they were a long time ago. They were and still are operated by the fishermen from the village Mavrovo. The city stadium is gone and in its place is a new, recently built square. Part of the square substitutes as a market a couple of times a week. The place is clean and neat and a city government building has been added to it. Thanks to the European Union no doubt.

The winding road along the coast has been widened, paved and crammed with café´s, taverns, restaurants and small shops. There are seventy Orthodox churches in the city, most of which are older that five hundred years and built Byzantine style. This makes the city an exquisite tourist attraction. At the end there is a small square and in front of it, standing high up on a monument, is a statue of Bishop Karavangelis. Painted on the chest of the statue in black paint is the word "executioner". Beside Karavangelis´s statue is a headless statue of General Van Fleet, the Unites States general who commanded the Greek government generals during the Greek Civil War. But that´s not all; there are also other surprises and skeletons in Kostur.

We ordered coffee at the café (built of wood and decorated with many items made of plastic) next to the lake.

"Two Turkish coffees please," I said to the waiter.

"If you want Turkish coffee, go to Turkey," he replied angrily; a pale looking young man possibly suffering from insomnia. "We only serve Greek coffee here," he added strongly as he swatted a fly on the table with a towel.

After we drank our "Greek" coffee and the free water offered at this café, we left and went to the City Centre.

There were many stores side by side at the Kostur Centre, exhibiting mostly fur in their display windows. The fur trade was the oldest trade in the region and only the people of Kostur had the right to practice it by decree from the Sultan. But in the last thirty years or so the fur trade was taken over by the surrounding villages and towns, mostly by Russians. After the fall of the Soviet Union, Russians with big money (only they know where they got it) came to Kostur and the surrounding region and built shops and on them they hung billboards with the inscription "SHUBЫ" (sheaths, furs) and since then the famous and renowned Kostur fur traders have become Russian employees and wage earners.

Out of curiosity we entered one of the stores. We looked at the fur coats and admired them without touching but were surprised and astonished at their very high prices. The talkative clerk, a middle-aged man, followed us around explaining and praising the merchandise in an attempt to make a sale and when we stepped further away from the door, in an almost whispering voice, he asked in Macedonian: "Are you from Serbia?"

"No," I said. "Serbia is further up, to the north of where we come from."

"Oh…" he said.

"And you?" I asked

"I am from here, from Macedonia… Greece is further south…" he said quietly and with his hand pointed to the south.

When we exited the store he asked: "From which city are you…"

"We live in a city but we were born in a village here," I replied.

"Which one?" he asked.

I said, "Polianemon."

"I know it," he boasted. "Its old name is Krchishta. Am I right?"

"Yes you are right. And that´s where we are going," I replied.

"What will you be doing there? There is nothing there except wind after which the village got its new name!" he yelled out loud, stunned. "Nothing, believe me, there is nothing…"

"That´s okay Sir, then we will see nothing…" I answered.

"Χρηστε και Παναγια!..." (Jesus Christ and the Virgin Mary) he said in Greek and crossed himself.

The once terrible, potholed and narrow road leading from Dolno Papratsko to Krchishta has now been widened and paved with asphalt. The road ended where the threshing fields once used to be. On our way we made a stop at a place called Vishomo. Close to there, where the land rises and widens, is a church and all around the church there is nothing, only emptiness. The village Krchishta used to occupy that emptiness. As I stared at the desolate space where my village used to be, I was overwhelmed with a certain sickness and chills ran down my spine. The village was here but now it´s gone, only its name remains, a name given to it a long time ago, a name that means the "crackle" of chestnuts. I remember the old people saying that the name Krchishta was given to the village a very long time ago.

As I recall, a story was told that went something like this: During the Ottoman War against the Poles, which took place in 1689, a Beg (Ottoman officer) distinguished himself as a good fighter during the attack and capture of the city Hochim, so the Sultan rewarded him by giving him five villages and their residents, houses and land. So this Beg, in order to enlarge his fields, ordered the villagers to destroy the chestnut groves and their homes and relocate to a sandy, barren and less productive place. There he ordered them to build new houses for themselves, a house for himself and a mosque. The villagers did as ordered and, in respect of God, would not destroy the village churches. So the only buildings left standing, as markers of where the villages once used to be, were the five churches: Sveta Petka, Sveti Atanas, Sveti Giorgi, Sveti Jovan and Sveti Ilia. These church buildings survived the test of time, rebellions and wars.

There was a grove of tall oak trees to the left of the road from where we were standing. "There," I said to my wife pointing at the oak trees, "is where the village Dolno Vishomo used to be and under the oaks was the church, Sveta Petka. We walked across the road to the oak grove and stood under its magnificent shade. Unfortunately there was nothing left of the old church, not even its foundation. The only things we found were a couple of rocks, some broken ceramic tiles, remnants of the old church and part of a burned candle stuck in the ground amongst the tiles. It was quiet in the grove except for the sounds made by the rustling leaves of the oak trees in a gentle breeze. A flock of ravens flew over us and disappeared beyond the forest. The sight gave me pain and chills. With a heavy breath we crossed ourselves and silently walked away and headed for my village.

The wide road ended where the village threshing yards used to be. To the left there was a wide metal door and behind it was a wide yard divided by a fence, behind which calves were mooing. There were many calves. On the opposite side was a house. A dog, tied to a post, was barking. A young man came out of the house. He greeted us in Greek and asked, "Are you looking for someone?"

"Yes…" I said, with tearing eyes as I looked over the entire yard…

"For who?" he asked.

I got a lump in my throat, my knees got weak and my chin began to tremble.

"My name is Lefteris. Please come in," he said inviting us inside the small house.

"First we will walk over to the elms," I said, "and then we will return…"

We left the car outside the farm (for fattening calves) and at a slow pace we walked on the street so that I could show my wife the village. After taking a few steps I closed my eyes to the emptiness, overgrown grass and weeds and in my imagination replaced them with the homes of the Nanovtsi, Damovtsi, Purdovtsi, Laskini, Popovtsi, Donovtsi, Liapovtsi, Pindzovtsi, Penovtsi, Shkoklovtsi, Trajkovci, Nakovtsi, Pandovtsi, Filiovtsi, Guliovtsi and other families. I imagined the fifty-four houses that existed here, in several rows, under whose roofs once lived over four hundred souls. I tried to imagine the feeling of the fifty or so other souls, who at the time were pechalbars (migrant workers) overseas, gone beyond the great waters, who never got a chance to return to see their homes and to visit with their families.

I spoke at great length, telling my wife about each house and the people who had lived in it, about the streets, about the time of the Greek Civil War during which forty-three people were mobilized from whom twenty-nine were killed. I told her about the fifty-four children that were taken to Eastern European countries and about the seven families who fled to Kostur and Rupishta and all the other families that were exiled and scattered around the world.

"Well," I said to her, "this emptiness was once a village and this void was once filled with life ..." "And here," I said, "where we now stand was the house where I was born…" "Here," I said, "was the large wooden door that was locked from the inside with a thick wooden lever. And there was the garden and behind it was the outdoor oven. Here is where the steps that led to the second floor used to be." "Here," I said, "is where my mother Fimka brought eight children into this world of whom three were given rifles, four were collected and sent to the Eastern European countries and one, the youngest, died in Albania. My brother, her third born son, left his soul in Gramos just before reaching his eighteenth birthday. So Fimka was left alone and, abroad where she lived, every night she dreamt the same dream - that some day soon all her children would again be together and have a meal at the same dinner table..."

My thoughts had taken me back to a time gone by, but then, for a moment I returned to reality, to the emptiness which again reawakened more memories, seeming like they were tied together by a chain, flooding back, pushing, scratching, pounding, squeezing, burning and creating sorrow. To calm my spirit I kicked some soil with my foot and out came a broken ceramic tile and underneath it, in the ashes, was a broken stone. I picked it up and blew away the ashes with my warm breath and then placed it near my heart but I could not feel my heart beating, it felt as if it too had turned to stone....

I took my photo album out of my backpack; a photo-album to which I had been adding old photographs year after year and from the photographs life began to sprout. Who were those people in the old photographs? What had dhappened to them? Who went where and who returned from where? Where are they today and what happened to them in the past?

Where!

The images of the people in the photographs seem to float, to come alive, to reflect on the life which now appears to me only in spirit and in shadows. Through the photographs I was able to see the people with their joy, sorrow and pain of what once was. What once was, is now gone. The families are gone. The houses are gone. Everything is gone. Only the ghosts and the shadows of the ghosts remain...

I look at the images in the photographs and imagine the people leaving, taking the road to banishment.

To what country did they go?

To what unknown latitudes of the world did time take them?

When did they leave?

Under what circumstances did they leave?

Did they travel one behind the other?

Did they leave quickly, en masse?

Time…

What is time and what are people in time?

Time kills.

Time wounds.

Time heals.

Time forgets.

Time leaves no footprints.

Time destroys.

Time is a killer.

Is time a witness?

Time passes.

Time brings concerns.

Time remembers.

Time tells.

Time verifies.

Time accepts and rejects.

It is said at this and this time.

During the time of great upheaval.

During the time of war.

During the time of so and so plagues.

We are here. At the empty, naked, scarred place.

Time has passed, it has expired.

And here, now, at this time, today, at this moment of time, we are in a moment of time.

We are at the time divided between now and yesterday.

Time…

Whose and what kind of time?...

We are here in time past, time without people and without homes; we are here in time present without life, only empty fields and flocks of crows.

Time.

Whose time?

What kind of time?

Time for what?

Time measured with what?

Time marked with what and how?

Time lost.

Time brings.

Time brings what?

Time of happiness.

Time of hunger.

Time of fear.

For victims, lies and curses.

Time for cursing, lies and betrayals.

Time for cursing and waiting.

Time compressed between times.

What kind?

Time for remembering.

Remembering what?

Time for existence, time for endurance, time for safeguarding time.

Here time was measured with time for digging foundations, for carving stones, for building walls, for laying roof tiles, for plowing and sowing, for living, for reaping crops, for celebrations, for holidays, for growing and aging, for happiness and sadness, for life…

After that time came time for war. It was a time of bad times, a time of great promises and many lies. It was time to separate the children from their mothers, it was time for eradication. It was a time of silence of the church bells. It was a time without faith in God.

Where did time stop?

Now there is only time for recollection of time past so that time past is not forgotten. Here now there is only now.

Will it last only that much, as long as we remain bowed over the burned out places and foundation remains of our homes?

Time remains in us forever preserved and baked in our memory.

Time over which the fog and dust of forgetfulness whirls and glides.

It is time for the fog to lift.

It is time for the dust that rests in time to be blown off.

It is time for ripening.

It is time to change time.

By Petre Nakovski

Translated and edited by Risto Stefov

Other articles by Risto Stefov:

Free electronic books by Risto Stefov available at:

Our Name is Macedonia

You can contact the author at [email protected]
      Print Email

Risto Stefov

Author's Profile
      Author's Other Articles
      Author's RSS Feed
      "Ido not want an uprising of people that would leave me at the first failure, I want revolution with citizens able to bear all the temptations to a prolonged struggle, what, because of the fierce political conditions, will be our guide or cattle to the slaughterhouse"
      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
        • Aug 2009

The Future of the Macedonian Nation

A Strategy

By Risto Stefov

June, 2005

[email protected]

I have said it before and I will say it again, the Greek dispute with the Republic of Macedonia over the name "Macedonia" is nothing more than a ploy, a con, a ruse, to sidestep the real issues; the status of the Macedonian minority in Greece.

Like a crooked politician, Greece is doing everything it can to take attention away from its dismal human rights record and focus on something intangible like the name dispute.

The name dispute for Greece is another excuse to avoid coming clean with the Macedonian people.

What will Greece gain if Macedonia is not called Macedonia?

NOTHING!

Greece already has everything that is Macedonian, the Macedonian heritage, Macedonia's history and 51% of Macedonia's territory.

So, why is Greece complaining?

Greece is cleverly down playing the Greek-Macedonian name dispute and making it look like it is about ancient history.

"Macedonia is Greek from ancient times" is a way of making an issue out of a non-issue. Why should anyone care about such a ridiculous claim?

By doing so Greece is achieving the following objectives;

1. In the eyes of the world, they are down playing the dispute and making it appear trivial,

2. They are drawing our attention away from the real issues,

3. They are putting us on the defensive and forcing a fight for what appears to be a non-issue.

What in fact we should really be doing is asking the following questions;

1. How did Macedonia REALLY become Greek?

2. How did Greece get the Macedonian heritage?

3. How did Greece get Macedonia's history?

4. How did Greece get 51% of Macedonia's territory"?

Greece is afraid that if the answers to these questions become known, then the truth will come out and there will be hell to pay.

So, what can we do to bring our issues with Greece on track?

It is very important to first recognize Greece's tactics and simply not play their game.

We must also bring attention to the following issues and make them our goals. Before we negotiate the name, we must insist that Greece;

1. Recognize the Macedonian minority inside Greece,

2. Grant human rights with full privileges to all minorities living inside Greece,

3. Allow the exiled Macedonian refugee children to return to Greece,

4. Compensate the families whose properties the Greek State confiscated,

5. Allow all Macedonian who were forcibly evicted by the Greek State to return and reclaim their homes and properties,

6. Take responsibility for the atrocities it committed against the Macedonian people during the Balkan Wars and the Greek Civil War.

It is every Macedonian's responsibility to disassociate himself or herself from debating with the Greeks on non-issues and bring the dispute where it really belongs, to the human rights arena.

Everyone concerned, including the international negotiators and mediators, MUST become familiar with the history of how Macedonia became Greek?

1. It is a well documented fact that Greece, in 1912, 1913 during the two Balkan wars, entered and forcibly occupied Macedonian territory illegally without the consent of the Macedonian people. It then, along with its partners Bulgaria and Serbia, went on a rampage bombing Macedonian villages and indiscriminately killing and murdering entire populations.

2. It is a well documented fact that as soon as Greece consolidated its hold on Greek Occupied Macedonia, it murdered or forcible exiled all Macedonians who refused to accept its conditions.

3. It is a well documented fact that after ethnically cleansing the Macedonian population, Greece brought Greek settlers from Asia Minor, Epirus and other regions and settled them on Macedonian territory, mostly on the lands of the exiled Macedonians, without their consent.

4. It is a well documented fact that during the early 1920's Greece began a campaign of denationalization by banning the Macedonian language and making it illegal to speak Macedonian in Macedonia. It then proceeded to forcibly change all peoples' names and toponyms.

5. It is also a well documented fact that during the Greek Civil War, Greece exiled a large part of the Macedonian population, including the refugee children, illegally expropriated properties and issued them to new settlers.

The territory which Greece today calls "Greek Macedonia" is in fact "Greek Occupied Macedonia" and has been occupied since 1912. The so-called "Greek Macedonians" are not really Macedonians at all, in fact they are the "Greek Settlers" who Greece has been depositing on Macedonian lands since the Balkan wars (1912, 1913).

So, what else can we do to progress to the next step?

1. The Macedonian people cannot and must not be content with the status quo. We need to work towards a common strategy that will involve the entire Macedonian nation regardless of where we live, be it in the Republic of Macedonia, Bulgaria, Greece, Albania, Canada, Australia, the USA or the world over. We must recognize that we are one and the same people and we must not allow those who benefit from our misfortunes to divide us. We must promote ourselves vigorously as one nation, one people irrespective of religious, political, or ideological interests.

2. We must work within the laws of the states in which we live in order to achieve our goals. We must also use those laws designed to help us by being diligent and not accepting the status quo.

3. Our strategy is to join world institutions, like NATO and the European Union (EU) because they offer security and human rights. The EU constitution contains human rights provisions which will help the minorities in Greece and Bulgaria when implemented. It is up to us, however, to ensure that those provisions are implemented.

4. When it comes to our interests, we must take action ourselves and not allow Greece, Bulgaria, or any other foreign power to lead us or to interfere in our affairs.

5. We must help the Republic of Macedonia choose its foreign policies wisely so that all Macedonians benefit from them.

I envision a borderless Macedonia as part of the European Union where the Macedonian people will once again have the freedom to call themselves Macedonian, speak their Macedonian language, enjoy their Macedonian culture and have the freedom to travel all throughout Macedonia without fear or repercussions.

For comments regarding this article contact the author at [email protected]

Other Articles by the Same Author
        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
          • Aug 2009

Fire Did Not Burn the Truth

The Original "Abecedar" is in Skopje

By Branko Gorgevski

Translated from Macedonian to English
          and Edited by Risto Stefov

November 27, 2006

[email protected]

Some thirty years ago Vangel Ajanovski-Oche, a well known Macedonian revolutionary from Aegean Macedonia, donated a copy of the original primer to the Macedonian archives. The primer known as the "Abecedar" was printed by the Greek Government eighty-one years ago to serve the linguistic needs of the Macedonian children living in Greece. Unfortunately, in 1925 the entire batch was destroyed before it reached its destination.

This surviving one of three copies, thanks to Vangel Ajanovski-Oche, is now safe and secure in the Macedonian archives in Skopje.

Just before the conclusion of World War II, Ajanovski, during a meeting, was approached by a Macedonian teacher from Aegean Macedonia who had managed to obtain and save a copy of the primer, which he then gave to Ajanovski.

Then towards the late 1970's, after keeping it safe for almost forty years, Ajanovski decided to donate his entire collection of books and documents including the Abecedar, to relevant Macedonian Government institutions.

Ajanovski was one of the founders of the "Macedonian Antifascist Organization" and of the "Secret Macedonian Liberation Organization" in Voden Region in which he served during and after the Second World War.

As far as we know the other two original copies of the Abecedar are found; one in the City Library in Vienna, Austria and the other in the National Library in Athens, Greece. The most recent reprint of the Abecedar, which was promoted in the Greek capital, was made possible by use of the original primer from Athens.

The primer, especially prepared for Macedonian children to learn their native Macedonian language, represents one of the most significant testimonies of the existence of ethnic Macedonians in Greece, which every Greek government has adamantly denied.

The booklet was printed in Athens in 1925 as a result of a League of Nations' request to protect the rights of the Macedonian minority in Greece. On August 10, 1920 Greece signed a League of Nations agreement for the provision of rights to all its citizens of non-Greek ethnicities. The agreement, signed in Sevres, France, states that there are minorities belonging to a number of ethnicities living in Greece. It also states that the Greek government agreed to provide basic human and national rights to all its minorities.

Unfortunately, the fate of the Abecedar was tragic - the entire batch was destroyed in a staged train accident. On its way to deliver the booklet to the various destinations, the train caught fire burning the entire batch, thus never reaching the Macedonian population.

According to Vangel's son and well known journalist Georgi Ajanovski, his father obtained the Abecedar entirely by accident. By giving Vangel the Abecedar, the teacher's wish was to make use of it in other parts of Macedonia (Vardar and Pirin). It is well known that in those days there was nothing available in the Macedonian language to teach the young Macedonian children their mother tongue. According to Ajanovski, this particular copy of the primer must have been saved by the people who first arrived at the site of the burning train.

----------
          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
            • Aug 2009

About the Macedonian Language Primer the "Abecedar"

November, 2006

[email protected]

A book of great importance to Macedonian linguistics and historiography was published in Athens 81 years ago; a primer known as the 'ABECEDAR' (the A B Cs), printed in the Latin alphabet, and intended for the children of the Macedonian ethnic minority in Greece - the "Slav speaking minority" as Sir Austin Chamberlain, British diplomat and delegate to the League of Nations, and Sir James Erick Drummond, General Secretary to the League of Nations, referred to the Macedonians in Greece.

In 1920 Greece signed a treaty before the League of Nations obliging it to grant certain rights to the minorities of non-Greek origin in Greece. Four years later, in 1924, at the suggestion of the League of Nations, Greece and Bulgaria signed the Kalfov-Politis Protocol under which Bulgaria was obliged to grant the Greek minority in Bulgaria their minority rights while Greece, recognizing the Macedonians from the Aegean part of Macedonia as a "Bulgarian" minority, was to grant them their minority rights. This agreement was seemingly very much in favour of Bulgaria, but when in 1925 the Greek government undertook certain concrete steps towards the publication of the first primer made for the specific needs of that minority, it made it clear that there were no grounds on which Bulgaria could be officially interested in any "Bulgarian minority" or expect the primer to be in Bulgarian, for that minority - though speaking a Slav language - was neither Bulgarian nor Serbian.

The very fact that official Greece did not, either de jure or de facto see the Macedonians as a Bulgarian minority, but rather as a separate Slav speaking group, is of particular significance. The primer, published in the Latin alphabet, was based on the Lerin - Bilola dialect. After Gianelli's Dictionary dating from the 16th Century, and the Daniloviot Chetirijazichnik written in the 19th century (yet another book written in the Macedonian vernacular). The primer was mailed to the Kostur, Lerin and Voden regions in Western Aegean-Macedonia where school authorities were preparing to give lessons to Macedonian children from the first to the fourth grade in their mother tongue.

Greek governments have never made a sincere attempt to solve the question of the Macedonians and their ethnic rights in Greece. Thus, while measures were being undertaken for the opening of Macedonian schools, a clash between the Greek and Bulgarian armies at Petrich was concocted, which was then followed by a massacre of the innocent Macedonian population in the village of Trlis near Serres. All this was aimed at creating an attitude of insecurity within the Macedonians so that they themselves would give up the recognition of their minority rights and eventually seek safety by moving to Bulgaria. Greek governments also skillfully used the Yugoslav-Bulgarian disagreements on the question of the Macedonians in Greece, and with organized pressure on the Macedonian population, as was the case in the village of Trlis, tried to dismiss the Macedonian ethnic question from the agenda through forced resettlement of the Macedonian population outside of Greece.

The ABECEDAR, which actually never reached the Macedonian children, is in itself a powerful testimony not only to the existence of the large Macedonian ethnic minority in Greece, but also to the fact that Greece was under an obligation before the League of Nations to undertake certain measures in order to grant this particular minority their rights. (Source Hristo Andonovski).

The Macedonian question, it seems, remained stagnant for almost a century until 1991 when the Republic of Macedonia broke away from the Yugoslav Federation and became a sovereign and independent State. Even so, not all Macedonians, especially those living on Macedonian occupied territories inside Greece and Bulgaria, have been recognized as Macedonians, a distinct ethnic group with its own unique language and culture. Even though both Greece and Bulgaria acquired fully populated Macedonian territories just like Serbia did through the 1912, 1913 Balkan Wars, they still refuse to recognize the majority of those populations as belonging to the indigenous ethnic Macedonian group. Greece, Bulgaria and Serbia (later Yugoslavia), throughout the early 20th century, all produced demographic statistics proving no Macedonians existed, yet in 1991 when the Republic became independent from Yugoslavia its demographics painted a different picture. Nearly 75% of the population declared itself ethnic Macedonian. Macedonians have always existed and have always been the majority in the Macedonian occupied territories as they are today.

In spite of all evidence to the contrary, official Greece and Bulgaria still deny the existence of Macedonians.

This is one reason why our Macedonian compatriots and their Greek friends in Greece have brought light to the existence of the Abecedar, the unique Macedonian language primer invented by the Greek government exclusively for the Macedonian people in Greece. Resurrecting the Abecedar is a way of bringing attention to an old issue that for Greece and Bulgaria, refuses to go away.

Macedonians worldwide, including those living in Greece and Bulgaria, have made it clear that they want to be recognized by the world as ethnic Macedonians, as equals with full rights and privileges and will not stop until they do.

The reprinting of the Abecedar is a way of bringing world attention to an unresolved issue that urgently needs to be resolved. My role in this will be to keep you informed.

----------
            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
              • Aug 2009

Homogeneity of the Greek Nation Turned
              into Myth; the "Abecedar"

By Dimitar Chulev

November 27, 2006

A group of Greek nationalists unsuccessfully attempted to block the promotion of the Macedonian primer which took place in the center of Athens. http://www.utrinskivesnik.com.mk...

(Translated from Macedonian to English and edited by Risto Stefov)

[email protected]

Athens - The Macedonian primer known as the "Abecedar" designed for educating Macedonian children in Greece in the Macedonian language in the 1920's, after 81 years, was yesterday (November 7, 2006) promoted in Athens.

"This is a big step for the Macedonian minority in Greece towards gaining freedom to use the Macedonian language in the Greek educational system" said Panagiotis Dimitras, president of the Greek Helsinki Committee, during the Abecedar's promotion in a meeting with the Athens based journalists in the center of the Greek capital.

More than a hundred journalists and intellectuals took part in this event during which Pavlos Voskopoulos, one of the leaders of the political Party Vinozhito, said that twenty or even ten years ago one could not even think of such a promotion, let alone holding it in Athens.

To counter the event, a group of about fifty Greek ultranationalists from the illegal organization "Hrisi Avgi" held a violent protest in front of the building where the event was taking place, threatening to blow it up to prevent the promotion.

The promotion took place about a hundred meters away from the Greek Parliament and was surrounded by one hundred or so policemen in riot gear who pushed the ultranationalists back and held their position until the promotion was over and the journalists safely left the premises.

The Abecedar's promotion was jointly organized by Vinozhito and the Greek Committee from the European Bureau of Lesser Used Languages (EBLUL).

The situation in Athens resembled the one in Solun two years ago during which the Greek nationalists attempted to stop the Vinozhito congress. In both occurrences the police exercised its duty and protected the meeting and its participants.

"The reappearance of the primer is of exceptional significance and we hope it will be viewed as a signal for the Greek Government to change its rigid position towards the diverse languages in Greece" says Athanasios Parisis, President of the Greek Committee of EBLUL, who invited the skeptics present to go to places where Macedonians live and discover for themselves that Macedonians really do exist in Greece.

About ten days ago, the Greek Minister Dora Bakoianis reported that there is no ethnic Macedonian minority living in Greece. In response to her comments, Panaiotis Dimitras replied that the climate is not right in Greece to officially admit to the existence of ethnic or national diversities and called on the journalists to verify this for themselves not only about the Macedonians but also about the "Vlachs, the Albanians, the Roma and see if and how the Government responds".

Pressured by the League of Nations Greece was ordered to print the Abecedar in 1925 in order to safeguard and protect the rights of the evident Macedonian minority in Greece.

[As a result of the Treaty of Serves which Greece signed on August 10, 1920 under Article's 7, 8 and 9, the Greek government was to undertake certain obligations regarding "the protection of the non-Greek national minorities in Greece". These Articles specifically stated free use of language and education.]

The primer was printed in the Latin script and was then defended by the representative of the Greek Government Vasilis Dendramis in front of the League of Nations. Among other things Dendramis retorted that "the Macedonian language as being 'neither Bulgarian, nor Serbian but an independent language.'" [He listed various linguists and linguistic maps as evidence to support his claim of the independence of the Macedonian language. This high ranking Greek official representing the Greek state not only recognized the existence of the Macedonian identity, but openly defended and supported it.] Unfortunately, Greece never fulfilled its obligation. The entire printed batch of the Abecedar was destroyed in a staged train accident and never reached the Macedonian population.

Two thousand copies of the primer have now been reprinted with funds from the Greek Government's budget. More precisely, the booklet was printed using the 35,000 Euros which the Strasburg Court forced the Greek State to pay Vinozhito for human rights infractions. The high court ordered Greece to pay for damages caused to the by-lingual sign (Greek and Macedonian) and to the Home of Macedonian Culture in Lerin.

"We are far from achieving our goal in teaching the Macedonian language with the Abecedar" said Voskopoulos "our purpose is political aimed at bringing attention to an unresolved problem. What better place than to do it here in Athens in the center of Greek nationalism. Ideological reforms must begin here in the center of our country".

The intellectual and former president of the Greek branch of "Amnesty International" Dionisis Dusetis agrees that the Macedonian language must be recognized and implemented in the educational system. According to Dusetis, interpreting extreme nationalism as support of Hellenism is a mistake. "What the nationalists really aspire to is to negate the name of their northern neighbour" said Dusetis.

"Even if there are two hundred individuals who wish to speak a different language, we should not be allowed to prevent them" retorted former journalist Rihardo Someritis during a heated provocative discussion, "if you don't understand that, you and we as a society have a problem" he said.

Journalist Teta Papadopoulou who works for "Elefterotipia" said that the Macedonian language must be recognized as a language and not as a dialect, and no one has the right to prohibit Greek citizens from speaking Macedonian or any other language for that matter.

Georgios Nakratsas, whose family came from Asia Minor in the 1920's during the Greek-Turkish population exchanges and is now political advisor to the political party European Free Alliance to which Vinozhito belongs, suspects that Greek Society is close to being ready to accept the existence of different ethnicities and languages inside Greece. "If you say one does not exist that is fascism" said Nakratsas. In the road of evolution, which is slowly taking place in Greece, "stand the Church, the military and the Educational system."

"My resolve as a Macedonian is political and I believe that respecting differences in people is essential in breaking the myth that Greece is a homogeneous nation. This myth is holding Greece back." said Pavle Voskopoulos. Greek society knows very little about the part of democracy which respects one's right to be different. "Our task is to educate our society" said Voskopoulos.

----------
              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                • Aug 2009

Publication of the "Abecedar" is
                a Result of International Pressure on Greece

By Ivan Karardzhiev

Posted December 1, 2006

Source: UtrinskiVesnik.com.mk

Translated from Macedonian to English and Edited by Risto Stefov

[email protected]

The first printing of the Macedonian primer the Abecedar was introduced during harsh times right after the First World War.

The latest printing of the Abecedar, already promoted in Athens and Solun came as a result of Vinozhito's, the political party representing the Macedonian minority in Greece [and the Greek branch of EBLUL's, the European Bureau of Lesser Used Languages] initiatives and is being publicized not only inside Greece but in the Balkans and in a wider part of Europe.

Up until now, the Abecedar was something that was talked about in a historical sense, mainly by the Macedonian press. There were stories of its introduction in 1925, its fate in Greek hands and stories about how it came out at dire times right after World War I and how it was dangerous for the peace in the region, especially for its Macedonian proponents.

Unfortunately very little was said about the conditions that led to the publication of the Abecedar. To give you an idea, in Greece during World War I, according to 1935 Greek Communist Party statistics, lived from 240,000 to 280,000 Macedonian speakers. In the Region of Lerin lived 60,000 Macedonians or 71% of the whole population. In Kostur Region lived 34,000 or 55% of the whole population. In Voden lived 75,000, etc, etc.

At the time the Macedonian primer came out, the Macedonian language was used in everyday life, at home, in the market, in the streets, etc, and everywhere where Macedonian people existed in Aegean Macedonia. Even in the courts important decisions and court verdicts were translated to the Macedonian language.

The massacre of 19 Macedonian people in the village Trlis in Drama Region on July 24, 1924, by Greek authorities was brought to the attention of the international community which pressured Greece to sign the well known Karlov-Politis protocol which called for the recognition of a "Bulgarian" minority inside Greece. The Greek Parliament however refused to ratify the protocol which prompted the League of Nations under a British proposal to call on Greece to act on the educational and religious needs of the Macedonian speakers living inside its territory. Greece was obliged to undertake certain actions to implement the protocol.

Being unable to sidestep this directive, Venizelos's Greek government announced that it would undertake a study and research the needs, mainly religious and educational, of that minority in respect to its obligation.

On July 10th, 1925 the Greek representative in the League of Nations announced that the Greek government would fulfill its obligations to its minority by undertaking the following measures:

1. Place funds in its State budget for opening schools for the Macedonian minority.

2. As per article 9 of the agreement, it would produce a special teaching program for public school teaching of that minority.

3. It will train teachers at the expense of the State.

4. It will allow the faithful to choose their own priests.

A little later, Greece published the Abecedar and delivered it to the League of Nations commission while at the same time, making every effort to stop its application. By now the League of Nations representatives had a clear understanding of the "double-faced" Greek politics especially about the rights of the Macedonian minority in Greece. Because of their mistrust of Greek dealings, the League of Nations established a monitoring mission to monitor the progress of the protocol's implementation. During mission visits the Greek government undertook rigorous measures to prevent unfavorable occurrences.

Here is what a Greek teacher had to say about one such League of Nations mission visit to Voden in 1926: "It was astonishing for me to see state representatives gathering students from the various schools and coaching them to answer 'no' to questions 'if they knew or spoke another language.' It was also a shameful display to see previously coached students and teachers gathering in front of mission representatives, clapping hands at anti minority rhetoric, singing anti minority Greek heroic songs and vigorously waving Greek flags."

News of the Abecedar in Bulgaria was received unfavorably and with much violence. There was much written about the subject including some by prominent academics such as the renowned Bulgarian professors Lubomir Miletich and Ivan Shishmanov. According to Miletich "Because of political reasons we now have to accept a convention appointed name instead of Bulgarians for the Macedonian Bulgarophones. The Greek government is treating its Bulgarophone subjects like some new people it uncovered without its own literacy, without a literary tradition and without a standardized literary language."

Speaking on the same theme, Professor Ivan Shishmanov, among other things, said: "Many Bulgarian dialects exist and are different from the Bulgarian literary language. While the Bulgarian Literary Language is based on Eastern dialects, the Macedonian language no less is a dialect of the Bulgarian dialectal languages. There is no doubt that the publication of the Abecedar is a sure attempt by the Greek State to distance the Macedonian population from the 'Bulgarian dangers'. To put it another way, the Greek government wants to give the Macedonians special status so it can separate them from Bulgarian influence. Having Bulgarian speakers within its borders and having them fed separatist ideas is dangerous for Greece."

News of the Abecedar in Royal Yugoslavia was also received unfavorably and with a similar attitude as the Bulgarians.

In a final note, according to French sources from the mission in Athens in December 1925, Greece, on October 21st, 1925 crossed the Bulgarian border in an attempt to invade and occupy the city of Petrich. According to the French "This small battle was undertaken for the 'Macedonian' alphabet, a gift from Greece to the children of another race in Macedonia." [A Greek gift indeed!]

----------
                GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                  • Aug 2009

The Abecedar Promoted in Solun

By Goran Momirovski

November 13, 2006

Translated from Macedonian to English and Edited by Risto Stefov

[email protected]

About one hundred meters away from the square in Solun where fourteen years ago the Greeks protested against Macedonia's constitutional name, a promotion was held for the Macedonian language primer the Abecedar, first printed by the Greek government 81 years ago.

A large number of intellectuals, journalists and ordinary people gathered today in the hall of the Worker's Home in Solun and gave their support to the president of the European Bureau of Lesser Used Languages (EBLUL) and to the promotion of the primer.

The Abecedar's promotion was jointly organized by Vinozhito and the Greek Committee from the European Bureau of Lesser Used Languages (EBLUL).

If the heart of Greek nationalism beats in Solun, and by that I am referring to the large anti-Macedonian demonstrations which took place there in the last years, then the brain of such nationalism resides in Athens, the center of Greece where 81 years ago the Macedonian language primer, the Abecedar was printed. These are the places to best start the process of linguistic emancipation for the Macedonians in Greece, said Pavlos Voskopoulos from Vinozhito.

Special police units were assigned to protect the promotion, taking place in the center of Solun, and according to the police even though there was potential for trouble, the event went without incident.

According to our sources, members of the ultra nationalist party "Hrisi Avgi" had gathered outside the building shouting anti-Macedonian slogans and protesting against the Abecedar's promotion and all that is Macedonian.

There were also about one hundred or so members of the Greek left who had gathered in front of the Worker's Home in support of the promotion. When asked why they were there? Their response was to support the Abecedar's promotion and the right for everyone to speak their mother tongue.

There was a potential for a clash between the two opposing groups but the police intervened and prevented it.

The real surprise about this event, according to its organizers, was the unusually large number of media personalities present. Up until now the Greek media has boycotted and usually stayed away from such activities put on by the Macedonians in Greece.

----------
                  GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                    • Aug 2009

Macedonian Gold - The Novel
                    Written by Dr. Michael Seraphinoff

Article by Risto Stefov
                    [email protected]

October, 2002

On October 4th, 2004 at 7:00 PM, a book promotion featuring Michael Seraphinoff's "Macedonian Gold" and Aleksandar Donski's "The Descendants of Alexander the Great of Macedon" was held at St. Clement of Ohrid Macedonian Orthodox Church. The promotion was jointly sponsored by the Toronto based organizations: United Macedonians, Canadian Macedonian Historical Society and the Macedonian Literary Group Brakia Miladinovci. Leading the event was guest speaker Dr. Michael Seraphinoff, author of the books The 19th Century Macedonian Awakening and Macedonian Gold.

Dr. Seraphinoff was born in North America and is of Macedonian descent with roots in the Republic of Macedonia, Romania and the United States. His family is from Neproshteno, Tetovo.

Dr. Seraphinoff was educated in the United States and graduated from Michigan State University with a B.A. in anthropology archeology. He earned his M.A. and Ph.D. in Slavic languages and literature from the University of Washington and did his doctoral dissertation on the life and works of Kiril Pejchinovich which was later published as a book by the University Press of America under the title "The 19th Century Macedonian Awakening".

Besides writing books, Dr. Seraphinoff is active in the Macedonian community and has written several papers and essays on the recent plight of the Macedonian people exposing unfair Greek, Albanian, Bulgarian and American practices.

Dr. Seraphinoff was also involved in the English translation and editing of Aleksandar Donski's book "The Descendents of Alexander the Great of Macedon".

Most recently Dr. Seraphinoff has produced a fine work of fiction, his novel "Macedonian Gold".

"Macedonian Gold" is a fascinating fiction story that will captivate you and keep you reading to the end because you just can't wait to find out what happens next. It is a fantastic story, a mystery adventure tale that will guide you on a tour of Macedonia through its geography, history, culture and present-day society. While this journey of discovery includes tests of personal character in a quest of meaning in a fictionalized and at times fantastic Macedonia, it also visits the thorny real-life social issues of the day, including issues of ethnic and national rivalry and gender, racial and religious prejudice.

Without giving away too much of the plot, the story takes place in present day Republic of Macedonia and is about a joint Macedonian-American archeological expedition set out in search of the long lost tomb of Alexander the Great.

It seems that a Macedonian archeological team has already discovered the tomb but needed an American witness to verify the find in order to prevent the Greeks from calling it a hoax. The lucky American archeologist picked for the job is Professor Jack Starkweather who quickly puts a team of archeology students together and leaves his boring university job in the U.S. for high adventure in Macedonia where he is joined by Macedonian archeologist Dr. Boris Milevski's students.

With some ingenuity and a lot of hard work the teams manage to open the tomb and marvel at the artifacts found inside. But just as the archeologists became comfortable with their daily routines, mysterious things began to happen. The real artifacts, one by one, began to disappear only to be replaced with forgeries. But who would do such a thing? Suspicions were immediately cast on the Greeks, Albanians and tomb raiders. The Greeks, it seems, would do anything to discredit Macedonian claims. Albanians and tomb raiders, on the other hand, would not replace real artifacts with forgeries. What for?

The plot thickens as it is revealed that one of Starkweather's American students is of Greek descent and she is caught secretly meeting with a Greek reporter named Mavros who had been snooping around camp.

If the Greeks were stealing the real artifacts, why were they bothering to replace them with forgeries? Was this another Greek ploy to show that the Macedonian discovery of Alexander's tomb was nothing but a hoax? And if the Greeks managed to pull the whole thing off, how did they re-create the artifacts so quickly and precisely? How did they manage to steal the real artifacts and replace them without being detected by round the clock Macedonian guards posted at the tomb entrance? But were the thieves really the Greeks? Some team members were staring to have doubts.

The answers to these questions and plenty more mysteries are yours to discover in the "Macedonian Gold".

Dr. Seraphinoff masterfully takes the reader on a journey of Macedonian history, culture and religion and at the same time explores old and new controversies and never ending Balkan rivalries.

The real Macedonian gold is in the way his characters, sometimes with opposing views, manage to cooperate and work together to uncover the mystery of Alexander's tomb.

"Macedonian Gold" is a "must read" novel, an excellent Christmas gift for a friend. Coming soon to amazon.com ISBN 0 9581162 6 1.

In addition to promoting his own novel, Dr. Seraphinoff also took the opportunity to inform his Toronto audience about Aleksandar Donski's book "The Descendants of Alexander the Great of Macedon". Among other things, here is what Dr. Seraphinoff had to say:

"[A while ago I offered my help in the translation into English and editing for publication of Aleksandar Donski's The Descendants of Alexander the Great of Macedon.

I have followed Aleksandar's works on Macedonian history and culture over the years with great interest, and I have always been particularly impressed by his ability to analyze and clearly express the evidence of possible cultural links between the ancient and present-day Macedonians.

I began reading his arguments on this subject several years ago with a certain amount of skepticism. While his evidence was always interesting and intriguing, for me it only suggested possible links between the ancient and present-day peoples. His early evidence did not appear all that conclusive. However, after reading this most recent work most carefully as I helped Marijan Galevski refine his English language translation of the text, I have become convinced that Aleksandar Donski has now accumulated conclusive evidence to prove claims of cultural continuity from ancient to modern times in Macedonia. If one, or two, or even ten of his examples appear weak or unconvincing to some readers, by the fifteenth or twenty fifth example the weight of his evidence should begin to convince all but the most rigid pan-Slavist that a mass migration from beyond the Carpathian Mountains in the 6th century never replaced the thriving ancient Macedonian society of the time.

The sheer number of his credible sources, both ancient and modern, and the scope of his investigation, ranging from the linguistic, to the anthropological, to the social, historical, geographic, and more, and with particular emphasis on the mythic and folkloric, cast serious doubt on the old accepted story of Slavic displacement of the indigenous population of Macedonia. While no one can question the obvious Macedonian cultural links with other so-called Slavic peoples, particularly the clear and close ties to the neighboring Serbians and Bulgarians, Aleksandar Donski provides us with equally conclusive and convincing linguistic and cultural evidence of the links between the indigenous ancient Macedonian people and those who also today call themselves Macedonians and who continue to dwell on the exact same territory of northern Greece, western Bulgaria and the Republic of Macedonia that was once ancient Macedonia.

The English-speaking world, its historians, linguists, cultural anthropologists and others, will now have the proofs that should put to rest for all time the notion that there is some recently concocted Slav Macedonia instead of the singular, separate and distinct Macedonian nation and identity with credible ancient roots. And all those Macedonians who live beyond the borders of Macedonia, who are particularly concentrated in recent times in the English-speaking world of the former British Empire, now have something to offer their children and grandchildren when foreign assimilation threatens to dim their consciousness of their Macedonian cultural heritage, Aleksandar Donski's book, The Descendants of Alexander the Great of Macedon.

The following are some of the more thought-provoking quotations from Donski's book.

The ancient Macedonians are among the most famous people in history. Several famous figures in history were of Macedonian heritage. These include Alexander the Great of Macedon, who was driven by his vision of a World State where all the peoples would live together in equality, and his father, Philip II of Macedon, who is nearly as famous as his son. One of the greatest philosophers of all time, Aristotle was also a Macedonian (by his father), and so was the Egyptian Queen Cleopatra VII. (She was a distant granddaughter of the Macedonian General Ptolemy, friend of Alexander the Great, since their childhood.) Members of the Seleucidic and Ptolemaic dynasties were also Macedonians. Several of them are mentioned in the Bible. There are those who believe that the Holy Evangelist Luke, as well as a number of Byzantine emperors, were also of Macedonian heritage. .

The Macedonians are mentioned in the Holy Scriptures, the Bible, in relation to the mission of Saint Paul to Macedonia, where Christianity began its expansion into Europe. For example, in "Apostles" (16:9): "Over night Paul had a vision, a man was standing before him, a Macedonian, begging him and saying: "come over to Macedonia and help us"". Also: "And we boarded a ship that was to set sail for places near the Asian shore, the ship set off. With us was Aristarch, a Macedonian from Salonica." These accounts, as is well known, are not the only biblical testimonies citing and mentioning Macedonia and the Macedonians. They represent clear proof that the ancient Macedonians not only did not disappear but they remained to live in Macedonia, conscious of the fact that they were Macedonians.

Soon the truth about the links between present day and ancient Macedonians will reach the interested parties in the international community. The fact that a significant number of international experts still consider ancient Macedonians "Greek" should not be discouraging. First of all, there are a number of historians in the United States, led by Professor Eugene Borza, who is considered one of the most knowledgeable scientists on the subject of ancient Macedonia, who clearly state that ancient Macedonians were not Greek.

Historians with similar positions have also appeared in other countries. These historians provide solid arguments against the Greek nationalist position in relation to ancient Macedonia and the truth has already been accepted and included in a number of respected encyclopedias in which the ancient Macedonians are described as a separate people. The pro-Greek historians are slowly leaving the world stage, and in their place a new generation of historians is coming up, unburdened by the prejudices and no longer captive to the ideas of their predecessors.]"

Aleksandar Donski with his most impressive findings and arguments delivers a powerful punch that shatters conventional thinking about the origins of the modern day Macedonians and raises new hopes for Macedonia's real history.

"The Descendents of Alexander the Great of Macedon" by Aleksandar Donski is also a "must read" book and a great stocking stuffer for Christmas.

-----
                    GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                      • Aug 2009

Macedonian Gold - The Novel
                      Written by Dr. Michael Seraphinoff

Article by Risto Stefov
                      [email protected]

October, 2002

On October 4th, 2004 at 7:00 PM, a book promotion featuring Michael Seraphinoff's "Macedonian Gold" and Aleksandar Donski's "The Descendants of Alexander the Great of Macedon" was held at St. Clement of Ohrid Macedonian Orthodox Church. The promotion was jointly sponsored by the Toronto based organizations: United Macedonians, Canadian Macedonian Historical Society and the Macedonian Literary Group Brakia Miladinovci. Leading the event was guest speaker Dr. Michael Seraphinoff, author of the books The 19th Century Macedonian Awakening and Macedonian Gold.

Dr. Seraphinoff was born in North America and is of Macedonian descent with roots in the Republic of Macedonia, Romania and the United States. His family is from Neproshteno, Tetovo.

Dr. Seraphinoff was educated in the United States and graduated from Michigan State University with a B.A. in anthropology archeology. He earned his M.A. and Ph.D. in Slavic languages and literature from the University of Washington and did his doctoral dissertation on the life and works of Kiril Pejchinovich which was later published as a book by the University Press of America under the title "The 19th Century Macedonian Awakening".

Besides writing books, Dr. Seraphinoff is active in the Macedonian community and has written several papers and essays on the recent plight of the Macedonian people exposing unfair Greek, Albanian, Bulgarian and American practices.

Dr. Seraphinoff was also involved in the English translation and editing of Aleksandar Donski's book "The Descendents of Alexander the Great of Macedon".

Most recently Dr. Seraphinoff has produced a fine work of fiction, his novel "Macedonian Gold".

"Macedonian Gold" is a fascinating fiction story that will captivate you and keep you reading to the end because you just can't wait to find out what happens next. It is a fantastic story, a mystery adventure tale that will guide you on a tour of Macedonia through its geography, history, culture and present-day society. While this journey of discovery includes tests of personal character in a quest of meaning in a fictionalized and at times fantastic Macedonia, it also visits the thorny real-life social issues of the day, including issues of ethnic and national rivalry and gender, racial and religious prejudice.

Without giving away too much of the plot, the story takes place in present day Republic of Macedonia and is about a joint Macedonian-American archeological expedition set out in search of the long lost tomb of Alexander the Great.

It seems that a Macedonian archeological team has already discovered the tomb but needed an American witness to verify the find in order to prevent the Greeks from calling it a hoax. The lucky American archeologist picked for the job is Professor Jack Starkweather who quickly puts a team of archeology students together and leaves his boring university job in the U.S. for high adventure in Macedonia where he is joined by Macedonian archeologist Dr. Boris Milevski's students.

With some ingenuity and a lot of hard work the teams manage to open the tomb and marvel at the artifacts found inside. But just as the archeologists became comfortable with their daily routines, mysterious things began to happen. The real artifacts, one by one, began to disappear only to be replaced with forgeries. But who would do such a thing? Suspicions were immediately cast on the Greeks, Albanians and tomb raiders. The Greeks, it seems, would do anything to discredit Macedonian claims. Albanians and tomb raiders, on the other hand, would not replace real artifacts with forgeries. What for?

The plot thickens as it is revealed that one of Starkweather's American students is of Greek descent and she is caught secretly meeting with a Greek reporter named Mavros who had been snooping around camp.

If the Greeks were stealing the real artifacts, why were they bothering to replace them with forgeries? Was this another Greek ploy to show that the Macedonian discovery of Alexander's tomb was nothing but a hoax? And if the Greeks managed to pull the whole thing off, how did they re-create the artifacts so quickly and precisely? How did they manage to steal the real artifacts and replace them without being detected by round the clock Macedonian guards posted at the tomb entrance? But were the thieves really the Greeks? Some team members were staring to have doubts.

The answers to these questions and plenty more mysteries are yours to discover in the "Macedonian Gold".

Dr. Seraphinoff masterfully takes the reader on a journey of Macedonian history, culture and religion and at the same time explores old and new controversies and never ending Balkan rivalries.

The real Macedonian gold is in the way his characters, sometimes with opposing views, manage to cooperate and work together to uncover the mystery of Alexander's tomb.

"Macedonian Gold" is a "must read" novel, an excellent Christmas gift for a friend. Coming soon to amazon.com ISBN 0 9581162 6 1.

In addition to promoting his own novel, Dr. Seraphinoff also took the opportunity to inform his Toronto audience about Aleksandar Donski's book "The Descendants of Alexander the Great of Macedon". Among other things, here is what Dr. Seraphinoff had to say:

"[A while ago I offered my help in the translation into English and editing for publication of Aleksandar Donski's The Descendants of Alexander the Great of Macedon.

I have followed Aleksandar's works on Macedonian history and culture over the years with great interest, and I have always been particularly impressed by his ability to analyze and clearly express the evidence of possible cultural links between the ancient and present-day Macedonians.

I began reading his arguments on this subject several years ago with a certain amount of skepticism. While his evidence was always interesting and intriguing, for me it only suggested possible links between the ancient and present-day peoples. His early evidence did not appear all that conclusive. However, after reading this most recent work most carefully as I helped Marijan Galevski refine his English language translation of the text, I have become convinced that Aleksandar Donski has now accumulated conclusive evidence to prove claims of cultural continuity from ancient to modern times in Macedonia. If one, or two, or even ten of his examples appear weak or unconvincing to some readers, by the fifteenth or twenty fifth example the weight of his evidence should begin to convince all but the most rigid pan-Slavist that a mass migration from beyond the Carpathian Mountains in the 6th century never replaced the thriving ancient Macedonian society of the time.

The sheer number of his credible sources, both ancient and modern, and the scope of his investigation, ranging from the linguistic, to the anthropological, to the social, historical, geographic, and more, and with particular emphasis on the mythic and folkloric, cast serious doubt on the old accepted story of Slavic displacement of the indigenous population of Macedonia. While no one can question the obvious Macedonian cultural links with other so-called Slavic peoples, particularly the clear and close ties to the neighboring Serbians and Bulgarians, Aleksandar Donski provides us with equally conclusive and convincing linguistic and cultural evidence of the links between the indigenous ancient Macedonian people and those who also today call themselves Macedonians and who continue to dwell on the exact same territory of northern Greece, western Bulgaria and the Republic of Macedonia that was once ancient Macedonia.

The English-speaking world, its historians, linguists, cultural anthropologists and others, will now have the proofs that should put to rest for all time the notion that there is some recently concocted Slav Macedonia instead of the singular, separate and distinct Macedonian nation and identity with credible ancient roots. And all those Macedonians who live beyond the borders of Macedonia, who are particularly concentrated in recent times in the English-speaking world of the former British Empire, now have something to offer their children and grandchildren when foreign assimilation threatens to dim their consciousness of their Macedonian cultural heritage, Aleksandar Donski's book, The Descendants of Alexander the Great of Macedon.

The following are some of the more thought-provoking quotations from Donski's book.

The ancient Macedonians are among the most famous people in history. Several famous figures in history were of Macedonian heritage. These include Alexander the Great of Macedon, who was driven by his vision of a World State where all the peoples would live together in equality, and his father, Philip II of Macedon, who is nearly as famous as his son. One of the greatest philosophers of all time, Aristotle was also a Macedonian (by his father), and so was the Egyptian Queen Cleopatra VII. (She was a distant granddaughter of the Macedonian General Ptolemy, friend of Alexander the Great, since their childhood.) Members of the Seleucidic and Ptolemaic dynasties were also Macedonians. Several of them are mentioned in the Bible. There are those who believe that the Holy Evangelist Luke, as well as a number of Byzantine emperors, were also of Macedonian heritage. .

The Macedonians are mentioned in the Holy Scriptures, the Bible, in relation to the mission of Saint Paul to Macedonia, where Christianity began its expansion into Europe. For example, in "Apostles" (16:9): "Over night Paul had a vision, a man was standing before him, a Macedonian, begging him and saying: "come over to Macedonia and help us"". Also: "And we boarded a ship that was to set sail for places near the Asian shore, the ship set off. With us was Aristarch, a Macedonian from Salonica." These accounts, as is well known, are not the only biblical testimonies citing and mentioning Macedonia and the Macedonians. They represent clear proof that the ancient Macedonians not only did not disappear but they remained to live in Macedonia, conscious of the fact that they were Macedonians.

Soon the truth about the links between present day and ancient Macedonians will reach the interested parties in the international community. The fact that a significant number of international experts still consider ancient Macedonians "Greek" should not be discouraging. First of all, there are a number of historians in the United States, led by Professor Eugene Borza, who is considered one of the most knowledgeable scientists on the subject of ancient Macedonia, who clearly state that ancient Macedonians were not Greek.

Historians with similar positions have also appeared in other countries. These historians provide solid arguments against the Greek nationalist position in relation to ancient Macedonia and the truth has already been accepted and included in a number of respected encyclopedias in which the ancient Macedonians are described as a separate people. The pro-Greek historians are slowly leaving the world stage, and in their place a new generation of historians is coming up, unburdened by the prejudices and no longer captive to the ideas of their predecessors.]"

Aleksandar Donski with his most impressive findings and arguments delivers a powerful punch that shatters conventional thinking about the origins of the modern day Macedonians and raises new hopes for Macedonia's real history.

"The Descendents of Alexander the Great of Macedon" by Aleksandar Donski is also a "must read" book and a great stocking stuffer for Christmas.

-----
                      GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                        • Aug 2009

Greece - The Bully of the Balkans

By Risto Stefov

October, 24 2005

[email protected]

The more Macedonians strive to assert their Macedonian identity the harder the Greek State and the Greek media try to negate it.

Macedonians have been agonizing for years looking for ways to break the impasse Greece has created. Macedonians would rather do more important things, than waste time fighting Greece on non-essential issues. Unfortunately, Greece has drawn the Macedonians into a battle which they must fight for the survival of their identity.

The Greek Government, by refusing to acknowledge the existence of the Macedonian people and by neglecting to inform its own people of the truth about Macedonia, has created an unfortunate problem for both sides from which neither can escape.

I am writing this article in response to the story "Skopyians provoke the omogeneia in Australia" which appeared on the website "Voice of Greece" at http://www.voiceofgreece.gr/ on October 16, 2005 [1].

What is strikingly strange about this story is its take on the original article. The authors seem to be reading a lot more into it than there really is and at the same time they are being blind and deaf to what the article is really trying to say.

Take for instance the title "Recovering Macedonia, Expiration of the Bucharest Treaty of 1913". Clearly the title says "Recovering Macedonia" so why are the Greek media authors calling it "We will take over Macedonia"? (http://www.greekcity.com.au/content/content.cfm?id=1596). See also
                        (http://www.voiceofgreece.gr/en/Omoge...s.asp?id=11867)

Readers are encouraged to read the original document "Recovering Macedonia" at: http://www.maknews.com/html/articles.../stefov78.html and decide for themselves what it says and compare that to what the Greek media says about it [1].

Clearly "Recovering Macedonia" has nothing to do with "taking over Macedonia". Recovering Macedonia is about the Macedonian question, about the Macedonian nation and its struggle to recover its place in this world. Recovering Macedonia is about gaining human rights for the Macedonian minorities in Greece, Bulgaria and Albania. It is about recovering our dignity as a people and as a nation. It is about recovering our properties that were confiscated by the Greek State.

Those who wrote the article are not "Skopyans" as the Greek media makes them out to be, they are simply Macedonians. They are Macedonians from Greece, a people that has been abused and neglected by the Greek State since 1912. They are tired of being an invisible minority without even the most basic human rights and want to bring change.

Why has the Greek media taken "Recovering Macedonia", something honourable like "striving for human rights", and twisted it into something violent like we will take your Macedonia?

Do the Greek State and Greek media truly believe that the "Skopyans", a handful of people with a small army and practically no economy, can take on Greece, a NATO member five times its size?

Why is the Greek media attempting to deceive the world, especially its own people, into believing that "Skopyans" are "really" dangerous?

If the Greek Government and the Greek media truly believe that the "Skopyans" are capable of such a feat, why don't they enlighten us? Show us how? I am sure we and many others would be interested to know.

Is the Greek State really afraid of the "Skopyans" or is this another ruse to sidestep the real issue, the cover-up of the existence of the Macedonian minority living inside Greece which the Greek Government refuses to recognize?

Unfortunately the Greek media once again has proven to be unreliable. The Greek media, which kowtows to the Greek Government on matters regarding Macedonia, will do anything, even lie to push the political agenda and continue to deny the existence of Macedonians living inside Greece.

We also have a message for "the other mediums" (you know who you are) who prefer to "copy" Greek articles and present them as "facts" without even bothering to check sources. Where is the integrity in that? Has the media become so complacent with the status-quo that it no longer cares for the truth? If you wish to maintain any shred of integrity please read the two articles; http://www.maknews.com/html/articles.../stefov78.html and (http://www.greekcity.com.au/content/content.cfm?id=1596 and make an informed decision based on facts not on what the Greek media says.

For those of you who continue to support the Greek stand with regard to the Macedonians of Greece, allow us to summarize for you what the Greek State has done for them in the past;

1. The Greek State unleashed its army in Macedonia in 1912 causing untold damage; burning villages, killing civilians, murdering and raping women and children and evicting people from their homes. See:

2. After Macedonia's partition in 1913 (between Greece, Serbia and Bulgaria), Greece evicted at least fifty-thousand Macedonians from their homes simply because they refused to pledge loyalty to the Greek State. Greece gave them 24 hours to take whatever they could carry on their backs and get out. They were told, "This is Greece now and there is no room for the likes of you here!" Their properties were confiscated.

3. During the 1920's the Greek State evicted half a million Muslims, most of whom were ethnic Macedonians, and imported more than a million Christians Turks from Asia Minor, depositing most of them on Macedonian lands and awarding them confiscated properties belonging to the evicted Macedonians. With the evictions and the addition of the newcomers to the Macedonian demography, the indigenous Macedonian population became a minority on its native soil.

4. To eradicate and extinguish everything that was Macedonian, the Greek State, after occupying and annexing 51% of Macedonia's territory, named its portion the "New Territories" and later renamed it "Northern Greece". Starting in the 1920's the Greek State initiated a denationalization and forced assimilation program effectively renaming all Macedonian toponyms to Greek sounding ones, all peoples' given and surnames to Greek sounding ones and banning the Macedonian language from use, making it illegal. Adults were forced to go to night school and learn to speak Greek. Pre-kindergarten children were separated from their mothers and sent to school to learn Greek in order to prevent them from learning to speak Macedonian from their mothers.

5. To eradicate all historic evidence of a Macedonian existence in the Greek occupied territory of Macedonia, the Greek State initiated a program that removed all Macedonian inscriptions from municipal buildings churches, gravestones, church icons and whatever else existed.

6. During the Metaxas years the Macedonian language was forbidden to be spoken even in the privacy of one's home. People caught speaking Macedonian were beaten, given a hefty dose of castor oil, fined and imprisoned. Greek prisons and prison camps were crowded with Macedonians, especially old men and women who could not speak a word of Greek.

7. During the Greek Civil War many thousands of Macedonians were evicted from their homes and had their properties confiscated. Tens of thousands of civilians and refugee children were expelled from Greece and are still not allowed to return.

8. Since Macedonia's invasion, occupation and partition in 1912, 1913 successive Greek Governments have tried everything to extinguish all that was Macedonian so that they could claim "Macedonians don't exist".

In 1988 when it became inevitable that a new Macedonian State was about to be declared, from the breakup of the Yugoslav federation, the word "Macedonia" became very popular in Greece.

After attempting to extinguish the name for seventy-six years, the Greek State reversed its policy and made Macedonia a very popular word in the Greek vocabulary. It even renamed its northern province to Macedonia, claiming for historical reasons it was the only legitimate Macedonia and belonged to Greece.

Also after all the years of claiming that only Greeks lived in Macedonia, Greek authorities almost overnight "invented" a new ethnicity called "Greek Macedonians". This new ethnicity it appears is Macedonian but of Greek origin, descendents from the ancient Macedonians and rightful heirs to the Macedonian heritage.

How convenient!

We the Macedonians from Greece, including those living in the Diaspora who have been evicted from Greece, have had enough of Greek State inventions, denials and cover-ups about Macedonia and about the Macedonian identity. We therefore demand that the Greek Government (a) inform the Greek public of the truth about Macedonia and the Macedonian people and (b) recognize the Macedonian minority living in Greece.

We also appeal to the democratic people of Greece to join us in our struggle for human rights and for a peaceful coexistence between Macedonians and Greeks in a future Europe.

NOTES:

1. The following article was taken from the website "Vice of Greece"at http://www.voiceofgreece.gr/

Skopyians provoke the omogeneia in Australia.

16 Oct 2005 10:46:00

The last issue of "Australian Macedonian Weekly" ( Slavomacedonian newspaper in Australia) carries a Skopyian autonomists' map indicating that their Macedonia extends to Larissa under the title "We will take over Macedonia" and the subtitle "After the expiration of the Bucharest treaty".

The article, signed by Risto Stefov, invites the "Macedonians of the Diaspora" to begin a struggle for the reunification of Macedonia and the restitution of human rights of "Macedonians" who live in Greece and Bulgaria.

The article characteristically says that a large part of Macedonia is under Greece, Bulgaria and Serbia's occupation within the frame of "1913 Bucharest Treaty", which expires in 2012, and calls on all Macedonians to unite for the reunification of their country.

In the first part of the two page article, Greece and Bulgaria are mainly accused of illegally occupying Macedonia and oppressing Macedonians who live in their territory, claiming that there are not Macedonians. The journalist does not stop with the expression of absurd allegations but goes on to demand all those who committed crimes against Macedonians to be taken to justice.

----------
                        GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                          • Aug 2009

Evidence of the Existence of Macedonians Throughout the Ages

by Risto Stefov
                          [email protected]

January 2005

If you follow the link you will find a .pdf file with 80 pages of documentation which provides historical evidence, including evidence from Greek sources, that proves Macedonians have existed throughout the ages: http://www.oshchima.com/hdocs.htm

The period covered is from the so-called "Slav Invasions" of the 6th century AD to 1940, just before Tito came to power in Yugoslavia.

I encourage everyone to make time and read these reports. Read about journalist Allen Upward and his visit to Macedonia in 1907/1908. Here is what he had to say;

"...I asked him what language they spoke, and my Greek interpreter carelessly rendered the answer Bulgare. The man himself had said Makedonski. I drew attention to this word and the witness explained that he did not consider the rural dialect used in Macedonia the same as Bulgarian, and refused to call it by that name. It was Macedonian, a word to which he gave the Slav form of Makedonski, but which I was to hear farther north in the Greek form of Makedonike".

Learn what Catholic Sister of Charity, Augustine Bewicke said on January 4th 1919 in a letter to Ian Malcolm, a British diplomat. Here is part of her letter;

"The Greeks will not admit the Slav language in Churches or schools; the inhabitants of Macedonia are in the great majority Slavs; they call themselves now Macedonians, and what they desire and what we ardently desire for them is an autonomy under European control. -In whatever way Macedonia might be divided, the people would always be discontented, and would fight again as soon as possible. The only hope I can foresee is in a strong autonomy, which neither Greeks nor Bulgars nor Serbs would dare attack; then the Macedonians, who are really intelligent and docile when they are well treated, would peacefully develop this beautiful fertile country, and might learn to be civilized. -Surely Europe will not leave Macedonia under people whom the Macedonians hate, and whom they will continually fight. As the little Balkan states can never agree, but always fight for Macedonia, let none of them have it. -We might then have peace, the Catholics would again have heart, and all the years of hard work among them would not have been wasted."

Sister Augustine lived in Macedonia for 33 years. Read what Greek Infantry Lieutenant Dim. Kamburas has to say about a situation in the Village Armensko in his report of January 25, 1925;

"Being shocked and increasingly concerned, I struck the village mayor when I heard him speak Bulgarian, which he wishes to call Macedonian, and I recommended that in the future he should always and everywhere speak only Greek, and that he should recommend that his villagers do the same."

Even Greek administrators and officials were not above being severely punished for poor performance in their duties of terrorizing and forcibly denationalizing the Macedonian population. Caring and showing compassion for the so called "Bulgars" was considered a weakness and a form of incompetence.

To learn more just click on http://www.oshchima.com/hdocs.htm and read on.
                          GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                            • Aug 2009

AEGEAN MACEDONIA SINCE 1913 - MACEDONIANS IN GREECE

Aegean Macedonia - partitions & colonization
                            The Athens "ABECEDAR" case
                            Renamed centers of population in Aegean Macedonia by district
                            Aegean Macedonia - oppressive measures in the period following World War 1
                            Aegean Macedonia - Partitions & Colonization

After the Balkan Wars (1912-1913), the First World War (1914-1918) and especially after the Peace Treaties of Lausanne (1923), which gave the Macedonian issue a central place, there began a great ethnic cleansing of Macedonians, who in 1912 had numbered 374,000, from the Aegean part of Macedonia. Disregarding the principle of respect for minority rights within existing states, the negotiations in Lausanne accepted the principle of an obligatory resettlement of Christians from Turkey (Greeks, Turkophones, etc.) and of Moslems from Greece (Turks, Macedonian Moslems, etc.). Under the convention for obligatory emigration, 350,000 Moslems were expelled from Aegean Macedonia. 40,000 of these were Macedonian Moslems. In place of the Macedonians expelled to Bulgaria and Turkey (a total of 126,000) the Greek state resettled 618,000 persons of Greek and non-Greek origin in Aegean Macedonia. This heterogeneous population, colonized in the Aegean part of Macedonia in the period between the two world wars, came from other parts of Greece, as well as from Asia Minor, the Black Sea region, the Caucasus, western Thrace, Bulgaria and other places. The large majority of the refugee Christian population was settled in villages throughout Aegean Macedonia, thus creating what has become known as the village, or agricultural, colonization; and a smaller number were colonized in towns, creating the so-called urban colonization.

This large colonization effected by Greece resulted in a major change in the historical status of the Macedonian language. Once the language used by most, it was now afforded only the status of the language of a minority, or the status of a family language, which was spoken by 240,000 Macedonians. The large ethnic changes were the cause of changes in the status of the Greek language as well. From being the language of a minority, it now became the most used language, being imposed even on the Armenians, the "Turkophones", the in-comers from among the various Caucasian peoples, etc. With the imposition of the Greek language and with the help of mixed marriages, a new Greek nation was being created in Aegean Macedonia. The colonization by this population, whom the Macedonians called madziri (in-comers, foreigners), resulted in Aegean Macedonia losing its Macedonian ethnic character. The Macedonians (240,000) became a minority; they were present as a majority only in the western part of Aegean Macedonia (Kostur, Lerin and Voden regions). The large colonization brought about by the Greeks was followed by a law passed by the Greek government in 1926 on the change of the toponymy of Aegean Macedonia. All villages, towns, rivers and mountains were renamed and given Greek names. The Greek state achieved this through a policy of state terror. As early as the period of the Balkan War of 1913 Greece had begun the ethnic genocide of the Macedonian people. The cruelty displayed by the Greek soldiers in their dealings towards the Macedonian people was merciless.

Following the political partition of Macedonia in 1913, Greece launched upon an active policy of the denial of the nationality and the assimilation of the Macedonians. The name Macedonian and the Macedonian language were prohibited and the Macedonians were referred to as Bulgarians, Slavophone Greeks or simply "endopes" (natives). At the same time, all the Macedonians were forced to change their names and surnames, the latter having to end in -is, -os or -poulos. With the denial of the Macedonian nation went the non-recognition of the Macedonian language. It was prohibited, its standing was minimized and it was considered a barbarian language, unworthy of a cultured and civilized citizen. Its use in personal communication, between parents and children, among villagers, at weddings and funerals, was strictly forbidden. Defiance of this ban produced Draconian measures, ranging from moral and mental maltreatment to a "language tax" on each Macedonian word that was uttered. The written use of Macedonian was also strictly prohibited, and Macedonian literacy was being eliminated from the churches, monuments and tombstones. All the churches were given Greek names. The attacks on the Macedonian language culminated at the time of Ioannis Metaxas (1936). General Metaxas banned the use of Macedonian not only in everyday life in the villages, in the market-place, in ordinary and natural human communications and at funerals, but also within the family circle. Adult Macedonians, regardless of their age, were forced to attend what were known as evening schools and to learn "the melodious Greek language". The violation of the ban on the use of the Macedonian language in the villages, market-places or the closed circle of the family caused great numbers of Macedonians to be convicted and deported to desolate Greek islands.

"The Famous Macedonian Parole - Solun (Thessaloniki) belongs to us"

[top]

AEGEAN MACEDONIA - THE ATHENS "ABECEDAR" CASE

"Abecedar - the primer for the Macedonian children in Aegean Macedonia, printed by order of the Greek authorities in 1925, in the Macedonian language with Latin letters (not with Cyrillic, as in the Macedonian alphabet), according to the decision of the Association of the Nations, immediately forbidden by the Greek authorities"

By signing the Treaty of Sevres on 10th August, 1920, the Greek government undertook certain obligations regarding "the protection of the non-Greek national minorities in Greece". Articles 7, 8 and 9 of this treaty stipulated precisely the free use of the minorities' language, education, religious practice, etc. Bulgaria and the Kingdom of the Serbs, Croats and Slovenes interested themselves in the implementation of this treaty, and when Greece realized it was in its interest to sign the "Lesser Protocols" (League of Nations, Geneva, 29th September 1924) on the protection of the Greek minority in Bulgaria and the reciprocal protection of the Bulgarian minority in Greece, Sofia launched a campaign in support of the activities initiated by the Joint Greek-Bulgarian Commission for the ,'voluntary" exchange of minorities. Large numbers of Macedonians were forcibly moved to Bulgaria, and Orthodox Christians from Turkey, Bulgaria and other places were brought to Aegean Macedonia where, as Greeks, they took over the Macedonians' property. However, since this met with resolute opposition not only in Sofia but in Belgrade as well, the Greek parliament did not ratify certain relevant clauses of the "Lesser Protocols". In March 1925 the Council of the League of Nations concerned itself with the situation so created and addressed three questions to the Greek government, insisting particularly on a reply on the measures taken with regards to the needs, the education and the freedom of religious practice of the "Slav speaking minority" in Greece. These documents treated the Macedonians neither as a Serbian nor as a Bulgarian minority, but as a "Slav-speaking minority". In its reply the Greek government categorically denied the Bulgarian government the right to be interested in the "Slav-speaking minority", claiming that only the League of Nations could have and had the right to intervene with regard to the rights of this minority. Greece stated that no steps were taken for the protection of the "Slav-speaking minority in Greece" as it had been thought that the convention on reciprocal resettlement would result in "the moving of all Macedonians" beyond the borders of Greece. The Greek government also notified the League of Nations that "measures were being taken towards the opening of schools with instruction in the Slav language in the following school year of 1925/26" and towards granting freedom to practice religion in the Slav language. The primer intended for the Macedonian children in this part of Macedonia, entitled ABECEDAR, was offered as an argument in support of this statement. This primer, prepared by a special government commission and published by the Greek government in Athens in 1925, was written in the Lerin-Bitola vernacular (even though Bitola was not within the Greek borders!) but printed in a specially adapted Latin alphabet (instead of the traditional Cyrillic, which was the official alphabet of Bulgaria and Serbia). Many primers written mainly in Macedonian and intended for schools in Macedonia were published in the 19th century, but this was the first primer for Macedonians written and published by a legitimate government for its citizens and under the aegis of the League of Nations. This significant act on the part of the Greek government was condemned outright by both Belgrade and Sofia. The former proved that those for whom the primer was intended were in fact "Serbs", whereas the latter claimed that they were "Bulgarians". Bulgaria commissioned its outstanding philologists and Slavists to help its diplomats and Belgrade inspired petitions from two ailari villages (written in Serbian!) which were sent to the League of Nations. These petitions stated that the signatories were "Serbs by nationality" and that they demanded their rights "as a national minority" and also a "Serbian school" in order to "protect their language from enforced Graecization". At the same time, propaganda activities were undertaken among the population of these villages, promising free land and Serbian priests and teachers to those who declared themselves as Serbs. The Greek government's immediate response was another petition from the same village (Birinci), signed 16th October 1925, in which the signatories claimed that "in this region there are no Serbs, nor are there any Serbian institutions, and consequently the Serbian language is not used". The League of Nations used this statement to ask, in writing, the following question: the Greek government claims that this population does not speak Serbian, but does not say "what the language they speak in is". At the last moment before the deadline the Greek government replied by cable saying that "the population of these villages knows neither the Serbian nor the Bulgarian language and speaks nothing but a Slav-Macedonian idiom". Thus the Greek government officially recognized for the first time the separate national entity of the Macedonians within Greece's borders, which is also clearly confirmed by the pure language of the pnmer, ABECEDAR, published in Greece. Following the stormy and violent reaction in the press of the three monarchies the Greek government decided, with relief, not to introduce the primer, which was already published, into Macedonian schools. Change of Toponym.

Immediately after the Bucharest Peace Treaty, when it became quite clear that Greece had usurped territory which did not belong to it either by the ethnic structure of the population or geographically, the Greek government conducted a census of the population in the new lands. According to this census Aegean Macedonia numbered 1,160,477 inhabitants. In 1917'the law known under the number 1051 was passed, article 6 of which established the formation and functioning of the town and village municipalities of the New Lands. On 10th October 1919 the Commission on Toponym in Greece issued a circular letter which contained instructions for the choice of place-names. The circular letter from the Commission was immediately followed by a booklet by N. Politis entitled "Advice on the Change of the Names of Municipalities and Villages" (Athens, 1920), published by the Ministry of Internal Affairs ofGreece. At the same time, special sub-commissions were formed in the newly-established districts in Aegean Macedonia, whose task it was to study the problem on the spot and to suggest new names for the villages and towns in the respective districts. In the spirit of this letter, in 1922, the Commission on Toponyms of Greece issued a more detailed statement under the number 426. This Commission had intensified its activities and was now giving concrete suggestions. However, owing to the Graeco-Turkish War, the still undefined peace agreement with Turkey and also the great migrations of the population between Aegean Macedonia and Turkey and the forced movement of an estimated 33,000 Macedonians to Bulgaria (imposed by the Neuilly Convention, signed by Bulgaria and Greece, for "voluntary" resettlement) the process of renaming was slightly slowed down. Thus in the period from 1918 to 1925 inclusive, 76 centres of population in Aegean Macedonia were renamed: in 1918 - one; in 1919 - two; in 1920 - two; in 1921 - two; in 1922 - eighteen; in 1923 - eighteen; in t924 - six and in 1925 - twenty-six. But as soon as the processes of migration came to an end and the position of the state was strengthened, and, following the legislative orders of 17th September 1926, published in the "Government Gazette" N2 331, 21st September 1926, and the Decision of the Ministerial Council dated 10th November 1927, and published in the Government Gazette S2 287, 13th November 1927, the process of renaming the inhabited places was accelerated to an incredible degree. Consequently, in the course of 1926, 440 places in Aegean Macedonia were renamed: 149 in 1927, 835 and-in 1928, 212, i.e. in only three years , 1926, 1927 and 1928, 1,497 places in Aegean Macedonia were renamed. By the end of 1928 most of the centres of population in Aegean Macedonia had been given new names, but the Greek state continued the process by a gradual perfection of the system of renaming, effected through new laws and new instructions. On t3th March 1929 the special law known under its number, 4,096, was passed and published in the "Government Gazette" S-- 99 of 13th March 1929. This law contained detailed instructions and directives as to the process of renaming places. By the force of this law and the earlier instructions, amended by Law Ng 6,429 of 18th June 1935, Law S2 1418 of 22 November 1938, Law N2 697 of 4th December 1945 and many other instructions, legislative orders and other enactments, the process of renaming the inhabited areas has been carried on to this day, taking care of each and every geographical name of suspicious origin throughout Macedonia, including entirely insignificant places, all aimed at erasing any possible Slav trace from Aegean Macedonia and from the whole of Greece. With these laws, instructions and other enactments, the district commissions in charge of the change of place names and the Principal Commission at the Ministerial Council of Greece (established as early as 1909) enforced many more changes. In the period from 1929 to 1940 inclusive, another 39 places in Aegean Macedonia were renamed, and after World War II (up to 1979 inclusive) yet another 135 places in this part of Macedonia were renamed. An estimated total of 1,666 cities, towns and villages were renamed in Aegean Macedonia in the period from 1918 to 1970 inclusive. This number does not include those inhabited places the renaming of which has not been announced in the "Government Gazette", which has been taken as the exclusive source for the figures and the dynamics of renaming given here by years and districts. Neither does it include the numerous Macedonian settlements named after saints, the names of which official Greece simply translated from the Macedonian into the Greek language.

[top]

RENAMED CENTERS OF POPULATION IN AEGEAN MACEDONIA BY DISTRICT

1. Ber - 49;
                            2. Negush - 16;
                            3. Greven - 82;
                            4. Voden - 34;
                            5. Enidzevardar - 56;
                            6. Meglen - 48;
                            7. Drama - 233;
                            8. Kavala - 24;
                            9. Pravishta - 36;
                            10. Sari shaban - 38;
                            11. Tasos - 3;
                            12. Katerini 42;
                            13. Kajlari - 32;
                            14. Kožani - 88;
                            15. Naselichka - 72;
                            16. Gumendze 29;
                            17. Kukush - 179;
                            18. Kostur 104;
                            19. Lerin - 101;
                            20. Valovishta 84;
                            21. Zihneni - 20;
                            22. Nigride - 35;
                            23. Serez - 55;
                            24. Lagadin 76;
                            25. Solun - 78;
                            26. Larigovo - 6;
                            27. Halkidiki - 40; or a total of 1,666.

Map of places in Aegean Macedonia with Macedonian and Greek names (toponyms)

Renamed places in Aegean Macedonia by years

1918 - 1; 1919 - 2; 1920 - 2; 1922 - 19; 1923 - 18; 1924 - 6; 1925 - 26; 1926 - 440; 1927 - 835; 1928 - 212; 1929 - 9; 1930 - 7; 1932 - 6 1933 - 2; 1934 5; 1936 - 2; 1939 - 2; 1940 - 6; 1946 - 1; 1948 - 2; 1949 - 5; 1950 - 17; 1951 - 4; 1953 - 22; 1954 - 18; 1955 - 25; 1956 - 4; 1957 - 3; 1958 - 2; 1959 - 2; 1960 - 5; 1961 - 6; 1962 - 3; 1963 - 6; 1964 - 3; 1965 - 4; 1966 - 1; 1968 - 1; 1970 - 1; or a total of 1,646.

We shall give just a few examples of renamed places, rivers, mountains, rivers, lakes and mountains: The town of Voden was renamed Edessa; Rupista - Argos Orestikon; S'botska - Aridea; Postlo - Pella; Libanovo - Eginion; Larigovo - Arnea; ostrovo - Arnisa; Vrtikop - Skidra; Valovista - Sidirokastron, and the small settlements of Barbesh and Kutlesh into Vergina. The River Vardar was renamed Axios, the Bistrica - Alliakmon; the Galik - Erigon, etc. Lake ostrovsko became Limni Arnisis; Lake Gorchlivo became Pikrolimi, etc. Mt. Pijavica was renamed as Stratonikion; Grbovica on Mt. Athos Agion Oros; Karakamen - Vermion, Kusnica - Pangeon, etc. The Voden district became Nomos Pelis; Gumendze district - Eparhia Paeonis; Valovista district - Eparhia Sindikis; Zihnenska ditrict - Eparhia Philidos; Pravishka district - Eparhia Pangeu, etc.

[top]

AEGEAN MACEDONIA - OPPRESSIVE MEASURES IN THE PERIOD FOLLOWING WORLD WAR 1

The Greek policy towards Macedonians in the course of the Second World War had a dual goal: to maintain the process of the assimilation and de-nationalization of Macedonians and the prevention of the creation and development of a Macedonian liberation movement with a Macedonian national programme in Aegean Macedonia. With this aim in mind, the Greek right wing formed a variety of nationalist and chauvinist organizations in Aegean Macedonia, such as the Protection of Northern Greece (I'VE), the Pan-Greek Liberation Organization (PAO) and others such, as well as a variety of military formations which persecuted the Macedonians, using terror, murder, Mass court proceedings, deportation, plundering, confiscation of property, clearances, resettlement, etc. In the given period 3,482 houses were burned down, 80 villages consisting of 1,605 families were plundered and 1,045 head of large live-stock and 23,382 head of small livestock were confiscated. In order to put the anti-Macedonian persecution on a legal basis the Greek authorities passed laws, decrees and other enactments by which Macedonians were subjected to large-scale persecution. We shall mention only a few such laws: Law N2 453 and Law TOD of July 1945 "on the securement of public safety"; Law 509/1945 "on public order and banditry"; Law 543/45 against organizations and individuals acting in favour of secession from the Greek territories", etc. The anti-Macedonian harshness of these laws surpassed the Compulsory Law S2 2366 of 7th September 1938, passed by Metaxas' regime and aimed at erasing every possible trace of the Macedonian national character of Aegean Macedonia. Under these laws Macedonian men and women, members of the Macedonian national democratic organizations, the National Liberation Front (NOF), the National Liberation Youth Association (NOMS) and the Antifascist Women's Front (AFZ) were proclaimed bandits. As soon as a person was proclaimed a bandit his or her next of kin and any other people who could be suspected of helping him or her were interned, in accordance with the regulations of these laws. Law 543/45 "against autonomist activity" helped rig thousands of charges against Macedonians accused of co-operation with Bulgaria and Yugoslavia in activities aimed at the secession of Aegean Macedonia and similar offences. Special commissions formed in every village or other populated place preferred mass charges against Macedonians to the District Attorney's office, with groundless accusations of collaboration with the occupier, autonomistic activities and the like. In the Kostur region alone 4,500 Macedonian men and women were accused of autonomistic activities, even though most of them were on active service with ELLAS. According to the information available, in the period from 1945 to the end of 1974 9,924 Macedonians were remanded in custody and 4,203 were convicted. 23,811 Macedonian men and women were interned on the basis of decisions of the special Security Commission. It was becoming clear that the Greek authorities were resolved to continue the oppression of the Macedonians, notwithstanding the cost, and thus to force them to flee across the border. The wave of refugees was growing daily. Under the pressure exerted by the Greek authorities entire villages fled across the borders. The most -typical examples of forced migration of Macedonians are to be found in eastern Macedonia, where Greek terrorist bands killed 29 and imprisoned 3,100 Macedonians and expelled 600 Macedonian families across the borders - and this in the period from February to the end of March 1945 alone. The situation was no different in the other areas of Aegean Macedonia. In 1948 the majority of the Macedonian population of western and central Aegean Macedonia fled to Yugoslavia and Albania in order to save their lives. More than 60,000 Macedonian men and women were forced to seek, refuge outside the country, fleeing across the border. As well as all these methods and measures, the Greek authorities attempted one of the greatest crimes against the Macedonians. In June 1946 a group of Greek Members of Parliament suggested that the Greek Parliament issue a decree for the forced deportation of all Macedonians from Aegean Macedonia, a suggestion which was justified by their alleged activities, which were said to be a threat to the integrity and sovereignty of Greece and a danger to the peace. In the period before the announcement of the suggestion and during the debate in Parliament a campaign of slander against Macedonians was carried out by the entire state and propaganda machinery, this being aimed at preparing domestic and international public opinion to regard the eventual implementation of this suggested action as completely justified. Thus Macedonians were described, among other things, as the "Sudetens of the Balkans and it was said that for as long as they were present in Greece they would represent a cause of war and a focus of war among the Balkan lands: or in other words, there would be no peace. For certain reasons both internal and external the Greek Parliament did not pass a decree on the exile of the Macedonians, but the Greek right wing clung to its policy on the exodus of the Macedonians. One of the Crimes committed by the Greek monarcho-fascists was the forced resettlement of their villagers and the dumping of them in special camps in urban centres, which had begun as early as 1946. According to the statistics, 213,000 people were forcibly exited from Aegean Macedonia. The terror, mass murder and other forms of repression proved ineffective when it came to breaking the spirit of Macedonians. Indeed, the Macedonian national liberation movement grew into an important and in certain periods even a decisive military and political factor in the country, one with clear and defined strategic goals. More than 20,000 Macedonians served in the ranks of the Democratic Army of Greece (DAG) and its auxiliary services. The liberated territory, covering mainly the territory of Aegean Macedonia, had popular rule, Macedonian people's schools, a Macedonian people's printing-house which published newspapers and other material in Macedonian, cultural and arts groups and other Macedonian institutions. Faced with the stand taken by the Macedonians the Greek authorities tried yet another cunning manoeuver. In order to shatter the unity of the Macedonian people and of the Macedonian Liberation Movement the Greek government passed, on 23rd May 1949, a strictly confidential decree by which the Macedonians, until then considered "Bulgarians", and other non-Greek elements which were to be uprooted, were renamed "Slavicised Greeks", and were to be treated as such by the Greek authorities: they were thus to be granted all civil rights, and included in all sectors of political and state life and the like. Their being called by the names Bulgarians or Slav Macedonians was strictly prohibited, and the name of "Slavophone Greek" was the only one permitted. The governmental agencies were instructed to adapt themselves and to help the Macedonians in every way possible to develop trust in the state and to seek its protection, so that they would begin to approach government representatives freely for the solution of their problems. This attempt on the part of the Greek right wing also proved to be a total failure. The decree had no effect on the Macedonians. They carried on with their struggle for national liberation and for the affirmation of their national identity with even greater intensity. As a result, the Greek authorities continued and even reinforced the violent repression of the Macedonians. On 20th January 1948 the Greek government passed the "M" Decree ordering the confiscation of the property of those individuals who had taken part in the Civil War on the side of the Communist Party of Greece (CPG) and NOF, and of those who had assisted these organizations and whose Greek citizenship had been revoked. In addition to this decree, the "N" Decree was passed on 2nd April 1948. This decree revoked the right of inheritance of all those who had taken part in or helped the Civil War. In view of the fact that large numbers of Macedonians had taken part in the Civil War, the consequences of this Decree and other regulations were borne mostly by them, but, after all, that was the main intention of the decrees. The implementation of these laws and decrees continued even after the Civil War had come to an end, for they were supported by enactments issued by the Ministerial Council of Greece: Nos. 944/1950; 253/1951; 826/ 1952. All these regulations were sanctioned by article 105, inserted into the Greek Constitution in 1952. The aim of this was to prevent Macedonia ns returning to their homes even after the end of the Civil War. Commissions for the confiscation and expropriation of refugees' property and for the allocation of this to new owners were formed in every district. The property confiscated and expropriated from the Macedonians was allotted to people loyal to the regime and to those who had distinguished themselves in the struggle against DAG and particularly against the Macedonians. Most of these people were brought in from the Greek hinterland. On 23rd February 1953 a meeting of the Greek military and administrative authorities in Macedonia was held in Thessaloniki at which it was decided to propose that the Greek government pass a law on the resettlement and re-inhabiting of the so-called sensitive border areas of Aegean Macedonia. it was suggested that all Macedonians from within 60 kilometers of the border be resettled, as disloyal elements, and that in their place Greeks loyal to the regime should be brought in as "healthy elements" with "pure Greek national awareness . The Greek government accepted this proposal and submitted it to the Greek Parliament which, on 4th August 1953, passed Law NL- 2536 on the resettlement of the population from the border areas. In accordance with the regulations of this law special state commissions were formed which effected the resettlement, selected people of pure Greek origin and established them in the Macedonian border areas, handing over to them the Macedonians, property. Among these people there were Greek nationalists, chauvinists and anti-Macedonians who had distinguished themselves in the struggle against NOF and DAG. A case in point, and not an isolated one, is that of the group of Macedonian villages called Janovenski in the Kostur region, the inhabitants of which had all fought in the ranks of ELLAS. Some of the inhabitants of these villages did not emigrate but were resettled in other parts of Macedonia. When the Civil War ended they requested to be allowed to return to their villages, but their request was turned down and their properties were pillaged and their homes demolished. The court proceedings for the return of their estates have lasted for decades. After the end of the Civil War the question of the confiscated properties became very strained. There were many new laws and regulations on the issue. The aim was to avoid returning the Macedonians' property, to prevent them from returning to their homes and thus to prevent the creation of conditions for the formation of a compact Macedonian population. All this was in the interest of the Graecization of Aegean Macedonia. The problem of the estates was taken care of in Regulations Nos. 3958 and 2951 of 1959, as well as in Law *- 4234, known as "Measures for Public Order", passed by K. Karamanlis's government in 1962, and by the 1972 decree No. 666. Under these regulations Macedonians were prevented from realizing their rights. An enormous number of applications for repatriation were turned down and those few who succeeded in returning could not have their estates back, which forced them to engage in marathon lawsuits which eventually ended to their disadvantage. In accordance with tradition, the Greek church took an active part in the anti-Macedonian campaign. Besides the daily sermons of anti-Slav and anti-Macedonian content preached by Greek priests, the Greek church took measures to force the Macedonians to give a collective and public oath that in future they would not use Macedonian but only the Greek language. In April 1980 the leadership of the Central Committee for Political Refugees (KEPPE) submitted a demand to the Greek government that political refugees be allowed freely and unconditionally to return to their homes. Minister Konstantinos Stephanopulos replied that the request could not be granted, because of national interests. In his explanation Stephanopulos stated that in certain parts of Greece there were areas in which there had lived and still lived people of a reduced national feeling, i.e. territories with a sensitive population composition, so that if a free repatriation of such people were to be allowed, Greece would have to face once again a national issue and danger in certain sensitive areas. Recent history had confirmed this, said Stephanopulos. He went on to offer a precise figure of 40,000 people residing in East European countries (Macedonians) and to say that this did not constitute an issue that concerned Greece. That this was out of the question so far as Greece was concerned. For these reasons, according to Stephanopulos, the Greek government could not accept or apply the principle of free repatriation. When the Pan-Greek Socialist Alliance (PASOK) assumed power, the government of Andreas Papandreou sharpened the measures towards assimilation and de-nationalization even further. On 30th December 1982 this government passed a law on the free repatriation of refugees from Greece, i.e. of those "Greek by birth", by which the Macedonians (as non-Greeks by birth) were deprived of the possibility of returning to their homes, to the country of their birth.

[top]

LINKS
                            GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                              • Aug 2009

Response to the Pan-Macedonian Association

by Risto Stefov
                              [email protected]

April 9, 2004
                              To: The Pan-Macedonian Association
                              Subject: Your letter to President Bush (attached)

As much as I respect the difficult position the Cypriot people have been placed in, at the hands of the Great Powers and with Greece meddling in their affairs, I feel it is my obligation to respond to the Pan-Macedonian Association on several issues.

1. How hypocritical of you to deny the existence and rights of the Macedonian minority inside Greece yet at the same time, complain about the treatment of Greeks in another country.

"We are kindly requesting for you to support a solution which respects the rights of Cyprus, acknowledges the theft of property from the occupied part of Cyprus and brings justice to the side that has been neglected for an intolerable and grossly prolonged period of time."

2. How hypocritical of you to speak of the properties of people outside of Greece and yet deny the expelled Macedonians, including the innocent Macedonian refugee children from the Greek Civil War, their rights to return and reclaim their properties.

" We are very concerned about the Kofi Annan Plan for Cyprus. We feel that the "so-called" UN Plan put forth by Kofi Annan is not only a violation of humanitarian principles, but does not give the well expected and fair justice to the entity which was invaded by Turkey in 1974; lost over 1,000 human beings who have not yet been found; lost all manner of property of the people who, by force, were thrown out of their homes and villages by Turkey with the use of American supplied arms."

Has the Pan-Macedonian Association forgotten that it was the Greek Government which instigated the Cypriot problem? Was it not Greece, in the early 1970's that wanted to unite with Cyprus? Was it not the Greek anti-Turkish propaganda that poisoned Cypriot society, turning neighbour against neighbour?

Why is the Pan-Macedonian Association now crying foul?

3. How hypocritical of you to cry foul about the rights of one nation, the Cypriot Greeks, in one paragraph and yet in the next paragraph you stamp on the rights of another, the Macedonians.

"At the same time we would kindly request of you in any of your future references to the "Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia" to address it as "FYROM" versus "Macedonia", like you recently did in your public address on ABC TV as you mentioned the supporting Countries of the U.S. action on Iraq. Needless to say your false reference caused discontent, disappointment and anger among the Hellenic community worldwide."

Has anyone in your so called "Pan-Macedonian Association" considered the cause of discontentment, disappointment and anger you have caused for the Macedonian community worldwide?

Isn't it about time the Pan-Macedonian Association refrain from interfering in other people's affairs and allow democracy to take its course?

Isn't it about time that the Pan-Macedonian Association retire from its racist activities and enter the annals of history together with Fascism and Nazism?

Regards,
                              Risto Stefov

Pan-Macedonian Association’s Letter to President Bush

Honorable President George W. Bush:

We are very concerned about the Kofi Annan Plan for Cyprus. We feel that the “so-called” UN Plan put forth by Kofi Annan is not only a violation of humanitarian principles, but does not give the well expected and fair justice to the entity which was invaded by Turkey in 1974; lost over 1,000 human beings who have not yet been found; lost all manner of property of the people who, by force, were thrown out of their homes and villages by Turkey with the use of American supplied arms.

The failure to distinguish between the Republic of Cyprus, which is the victim of external aggression and the illegal Republic of Northern Cyprus whose forces violate the territorial integrity of Cyprus, undermines international law and World Order. We also feel the Annan Plan violates the human rights of the Greek Cypriots who suffered a lot from the Republic of Turkey whose forces violated the territorial integrity of Cyprus and disrespected the international law. Furthermore this UN Plan for Cyprus would impose a settlement based on political and human rights violations, which would be considered intolerable in Europe because it would compromise Nicosia’s successful bid for membership in the EU.

By rewarding Ankara’s highly aggressive territorial invasion of Cyprus, the World Order is totally ignored and / or omitted.

We are kindly requesting for you to support a solution which respects the rights of Cyprus, acknowledges the theft of property from the occupied part of Cyprus and brings justice to the side that has been neglected for an intolerable and grossly prolonged period of time.

In such a way the U.S. will maintain its dignity and its democratic principles and will regain respect from the international community. It is our duty and responsibility being the most powerful Country in the world.

At the same time we would kindly request of you in any of your future references to the “Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia” to address it as “FYROM” versus “Macedonia”, like you recently did in your public address on ABC TV as you mentioned the supporting Countries of the U.S. action on Iraq. Needless to say your false reference caused discontent, disappointment and anger among the Hellenic community worldwide.

We like to refresh your memory that the “FYROM” is a temporary name given by the UN Security Council in 1995 under Interim Accord, Article 816, until, through negotiations a new, non-threatening to Greece, name for FYROM will be expedited.

Your role as healthy role model has a great impact to all Hellenes and Phil-Hellenes who happen to know history; therefore, they are fully aware about the gross injustice upon Northern Greece.

We highly appreciate your immense support in these difficult issues in order for justice once again to prevail

Most Sincerely,

Nina Peropoulos Peter Peropoulos
                              Past Supreme President Chapter President
                              Pan-Macedonian Association USA, Inc Macedonian Association of Greater Houston., inc.
                              GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

• George S.
                                • Aug 2009

Macedonians: Aggressors or Victims?

by Risto Stefov
                                [email protected]

May, 2002

click here for a printable version

It's a shame that so little of Macedonian history is known to the World, that the Western media routinely bundles Macedonia in the same package as her aggressive neighbours. I get frustrated every time I read an article that pins Macedonians as the "aggressors" and the "doers" of unbefitting acts of barbarism.

In writing this document I will show that not only are Macedonians not aggressors, but also in fact throughout history they have been victims of aggression. Macedonians never raised arms against any nation (other than for defense), condoned violence or promoted slavery in the last 2300 years. Yet the Western media cannot seem to distinguish the acts of a Macedonian from those of his non-Macedonian neighbour. Take the most recent history for example. Armed Albanians that terrorized western Macedonia were labeled "victims of Macedonian aggression". Does that make any sense? Who was doing what to whom here? Will the Western media speak the same language if violence and terror was committed in the west? Will they write Albanians "are fighting for more rights" if a bunch of Albanians took up arms and killed French, German or English soldiers or policemen, or kidnapped civilians for ransom? Let's be realistic here.

Day after day, over and over we read stories with lines like "Ethnic Albanians are fighting for their rights," in report after report after report. Does the media think readers can't remember from one day to the next? Or do they think that by saying it over and over and over again it will become believable? Even when Albanians fight against Albanians, the Macedonians seem to be somehow responsible according to some media reports. What gives?

Speaking of rights, if the Western media cares so much about minority rights why haven't they written "comparative" reports between ethnic groups in the Balkans? What about examining the rights of Macedonians living in Albania? Are they afraid that they will reveal the truth that "Ethnic Albanians" in Macedonia have more rights than any other minority in the Balkans? In fact the Albanians in Macedonia have more rights than Macedonians living in Albania, Bulgaria, and Greece combined. Why isn't the Western media jumping on Albania, Greece or Bulgaria for not supporting "rights" for their minorities? Does one have to use violence to qualify for rights or does one have to carry a gun to get media attention? What kind of precedence is the Western media setting?

It is not my intention here to take "puck shots" at the Western media. In fact it goes against the grain for me to be critical of the West after the West opened the doors for so many Macedonians at their darkest times. But at the same time I can't sit in the sidelines and watch what I hold so dearly be unfairly put down for the sake of making politics.

Here are some things I find puzzling:

1. Why didn't the Albanians in Macedonia insist on "more rights" when Macedonia became independent in 1991? They had plenty of opportunity.

2. If Macedonians didn't care about Albanians as some Albanians claim, why did they open the border and homes to over 300,000 Kosovo refugees?
                                3. Why do Albanians need to resort to guns and violence to obtain "more rights" and not to politics? One-third of the politicians in parliament are Albanians representing the Albanian voters.

4. Why did the idea of "fighting for more rights" by violence come about after the bombing of Yugoslavia and not before?

5. Outside of violent revolutions or dictatorships, it is a historic first for a minority to impose itself on a majority and dictate its terms by "violence". Why is the West condemning terrorism and violence everywhere else but allows it to freely flourish in Macedonia?

6. If the Albanians are truly "fighting for more rights" why do they expel Macedonian civilians out of ethnically mixed neighbourhoods? How is that going to help them get "more rights"? Why do they want ethnically cleansed, "Albanians only" territories?

7. Why is Greece, a modern Democratic country, a member of the European Union, and a signatory of Human rights agreements, allowed to stomp unabated on its Macedonian minority without a single reaction from the Western media? Yet all hell breaks loose when Macedonia, a sovereign nation tries to defend itself from terrorism?

Let us not speak of ourselves as "fair and impartial". Let our deeds speak for themselves.

Who are the Albanians?

Like Greece, Albania is a modern nation. Albania was created by Austro-Hungary, Britain, France and Italy and became a nation for the first time in 1912 (December London Conference). Before that, Albania was occupied by the Ottoman Empire and would have fallen victim to Serbia and Greece had it not been for Western power intervention. She too would have suffered the same fate as Macedonia had it not been for Austro-Hungary's desire to keep Russia away from the Adriatic waters. Serbia, a Russian ally wanted parts of Albania for herself so she could have access to the Adriatic. None of the Western superpowers, however, wanted Russia to have access to the Mediterranean Sea. So to block Russia out, the Western superpowers created a "Western Protectorate" along the Adriatic coast and named her Albania. The name is a modern term without historical significance. Like the Greeks who wanted to be called Helene, the Albanians wanted to be called Illyrians, after the ancient Illyrians who two millennia ago lived in the same region, but that was not to be. Today modern Albanians prefer to call themselves Sqiptar and Arnaout instead of Albanian. The Albanians of today speak two languages, the Gheg dialect in the north and the Tosk in the south.

The idea of "Greater Albania" was born in 1878 when nationalism became widespread and gripped the Balkans with hysteria and violence. A radical group named Balli Kombetar started the idea by proposing the creation of an "ethnically pure" Albania to encompass all territories where Albanians existed. This was to include parts of Montenegro, Kosovo, parts of Serbia, parts of Macedonia and all of Greek occupied Ipiros. Greek and Serbian expansionism however, reduced Albania to its present day borders. The current territory was later sanctioned by the Western powers (Bucharest Treaty and ratified by the Versailles Treaty) during the Paris Peace Conference of 1919.

Being allies with the Ottoman Turk (before 1912) Albanians were often employed by the Ottoman military and as elite guard to the wealthy and prominent Turks.

It is believed that before the Ottoman occupation, Albanians were Christian who later converted to Islam. Being of the same faith (Muslim) Albanians had equal rights as their religious brethren the Turks. They lived their lives free to do business, loot, persecute and prey on their Christian neighbours. At the same time Turkey refused to give Albanians their independence until the West forced it on them in 1912.

The issue of a "Greater Albania" resurfaced during World War II, this time sponsored by Adolph Hitler himself. During the occupation (1941 to 1945) parts of the Balkans were re-partitioned and re-distributed to German and Italian allies. The Italian administered Macedonian territory of Tetovo, Gostivar, Kichevo, Struga, and Debar were given to Albania while Skopje, Bitola, and Shtip were given to Bulgaria.

YES, for those of you who didn't know, Albania was an ally of Nazi Germany. In fact the Albanians were a trusted ally of the SS. In 1944, an Albanian Waffen SS Division was formed, the 21st Waffen Gebirgs Division der SS "Skanderbeg"(Albanische Nr.1). The Skanderbeg Division occupied Western Macedonia with a base in Tetovo. Later there were plans to form a second SS division by Himmler who purportedly believed the Albanian Ghegs were of pure Aryan origins (Carl Savich). Himmler's plans however, did not come to fruition as Germany was in retreat before Himmler was able to complete the job.

According to Partisan accounts, the "Balisty" (Albanian Skenderbeg division) fought back fiercely and were tough to put down. There were also horror stories circulating of how the Balisty treated prisoners of war. According to eyewitnesses they employed ritualistic executions that included killing by a knife cut to the throat and licking the blood off the knife blade.

The plan for a "Greater Albania" died after World War II but the desire for it simmered on in the hearts of a few extremists only to re-surface with the break-up of Yugoslavia in the 1980's. With no allies, this time Albanian extremists turned to modern methods of warfare, "lobbying". After establishing a strong lobby in the Western Diaspora they went to work prodding and disturbing old wounds. Some well-positioned prods at Serbia gave them the expected retaliatory response. The propaganda machine, like a Hollywood film production, quickly scripted the scenes painting the Albanians as "victims" and the Serbs as "aggressors". The Western media lapped it up and turned it into headline news. After all it fit Western expectations of "good versus evil".

Where did the Albanians get the money? Like filming epic productions, creating propaganda costs money, a lot of money. Most of the money came from the sale of illegal drugs and the sex trade industry. A lot of money came from taxing ordinary Albanians both at home and in the Diaspora. Some came from rich individuals and organizations that saw the conflict as a long-term investment and an opportunity to make a lot more money. The Albanians knew that militarily they were no match for the Serbs, so they used "every means possible" including lying, cheating and fighting dirty to provoke a "superpower" military response against the Serbs. In time they succeeded and their investment paid off. I can only imagine the exhilaration of the UCK as they watched the mighty Western air force pound Serbia back into the 19th century. It's reminiscent of the glee of Venice in 1204 as she watched the destruction of Constantinople by the Latin 4th crusade.

Don't get me wrong, the West is not so naive that it would blindly get itself involved in a purely humanitarian situation. They have a plan of their own, I can only speculate as to what it is (Camp Bondsteel?).
                                See https://www.wsws.org/articles/2002/a.../oil-a29.shtml also https://www.realitymacedonia.org.mk/...e.asp?nid=1837

If you want to find out more about the recent Balkan conflicts read Scott Taylor's latest book "Diary of an Un Civil War" or visit "www.antiwar.com".

What is the West planning for the Balkans? I don't know but if I were Albanian I would let history be my guide! Not everything turns out the way you want it. There is no "free lunch" now days.

Playing the "victim" worked so well in Kosovo why not try it in Macedonia? Try it the Albanians did. Right after the Kosovo conflict the Albanian propaganda machine went to work again, spinning and weaving scenarios and manipulating the Western media. Apparently it seems that the media didn't learn anything from the Serbian experience. Or should I say they didn't care to learn anything because if they did they would have had to admit they made a mistake and supported the wrong side. What about Macedonia: who is who in Macedonia? That apparently doesn't seem to matter because the media has made up its mind. The Albanians are the "good guys" and they can do no wrong. They were the good guys in Kosovo, so therefore it is only logical that they are "the good guys" in Macedonia, right?

A lot of what is happening in Macedonia can be directly attributed to what happened in Kosovo. It has nothing to do with "fighting for rights" or not having enough rights. The Macedonians of today are the same Macedonians of 1991 when Macedonia became a sovereign nation. They are the same Macedonians that opened the doors to 300,000 Kosovo Albanian refugees.

The Albanian success story with Serbia in Kosovo has given the "Extremist Albanian Element" courage, high profile, popularity, notoriety and momentum to continue the quest for a "Greater Albania". The Albanians lied, cheated, fought dirty and committed unspeakable acts of terror then successfully pinned it on the Serbs and got away with it. Who is going to stop them from doing it again in Macedonia, the Western media?

Some of the blame for what is happening in Macedonia I squarely place on the shoulders of the Western media. Time and time again the Western mainstream media refuses to do its homework and continues to report "well camouflaged" propaganda as "the news".

It is easy to let things slip as "news" but difficult to imagine the consequences they create for those "making the news". What puzzles me the most is how Western reporters who have witnessed atrocities committed by Albanians can still report that Albanians are "fighting for their rights"? How do you justify "burning churches" as fighting for your rights? How does kidnapping and severely torturing civilians qualify as fighting for your rights? How does mutilating the bodies of soldiers serve as fighting for your rights? How are Albanians who committed criminal acts against Macedonians going to reconcile them with their Macedonian neighbours? If Albanians truly want more rights they should be focusing on diplomatic and not criminal acts. But are they truly "fighting for rights"? Examine their acts and decide for yourself!

If you are interested in learning more about Balkan issues please read Scott Taylor's books "INAT" and "Diary of an Un Civil War". This is reporting the way it should be and Scott, without holding any punches, is "telling it the way it is".

I don't want to leave the impression that all Albanians are bad guys. Like most people, the majority of Albanians are honest, hard working and tolerant of others. Macedonians, in every corner of Macedonia at one point or another, have coexisted with Albanians. Culturally however, we have subtle differences. Unlike the Macedonians, Albanians abide by an ancient law of conduct and practice the old edict of an "eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth". They believe that "unkind acts must be avenged with equally unkind acts". The ancient law prohibits Albanians from what we call "airing dirty laundry in public". Unlike the Christian Macedonians whose culture and religion prohibits them from using violence, the Muslim religion allows violence to be used "in acts of defense" which can often be intentionally misinterpreted by the propagandists. Using violence as a problem-solving tool between Albanian and Albanian is not uncommon but can start a war when used against other cultures.

By enacting the code of silence, a small but extreme violent element can wield unimaginable terror on the majority of the population. Now imagine what it could do if empowered and backed with the military might of a superpower.

Using threats and violence to solve problems and not allowing the victims to tell about it has empowered small but extreme elements in Kosovo and Macedonia to control very large numbers of Albanians both at home and in the Diaspora.

It is wrong for one to say that Albanian men are criminals involved in the drug and the sex trade (see http://msnbc.com/news/725802.asp?cp1=1) without qualifications. It is true that proportionally there are more Albanian men involved in criminal activities in Macedonia than Macedonian men. However, inactivity in the young breeds discontentment and boredom, which in turn leads to mischief. Young men who feel that there is no future for them in education drop out of school and look for opportunities elsewhere like joining criminal gangs or extreme political elements. There is also the popular misconception that committing violence against other races is "patriotic", which attracts the young and politically unaware. Men of intellect can do little against such propaganda especially when ignorant men point loaded guns at their heads.

What about Albanian women?

Culturally, Albanian women are very different from Macedonian women. Albanian women are expected to be obedient daughters and the devoted mothers of many children. Very few Muslim men believe in educating their daughters. In fact most believe that an ignorant daughter is an obedient daughter. Don't look for too many Albanian women with higher education or in intellectual circles.

The bottom line here is that the West, by accident or by design, has yet again allowed acts of violence to be committed against the Macedonian people. What hurts the most is the perpetual abuse Macedonians endure at the hands of the Western media. Time and time again the "real victims" are accused of being "aggressors" while the "real aggressors" are labeled as "victims" and allowed to get away with murder.

The only aggression Macedonia has committed in the last 2,400 years lasted a dozen years or so during the short-lived exploits of Alexander the Great. Philip built a strong Macedonia for defense against his neighbours not for military exploits. The Illyrians looted and pillaged Macedonian settlements from the west, Thracians raided Macedonian settlements from the north, Persians invaded Macedonia from the east and the City States plundered the Macedonian timberlands from the south. Philip extended his frontiers to protect his country from exploitation not to make it into an empire. It was Alexander's and only Alexander's desire to make Macedonia into a world power.

Since Alexander's death, Macedonians through the ages have been victims of world aggression. At the outset, Macedonia endured attack after fierce attack from Rome during the four Roman Macedonian wars. Rome didn't cease until Macedonia was rubble and that still didn't satisfy her. To add insult to injury Macedonia was partitioned into four pieces rendering her incapable of defense. Macedonia was the last to fall to the Romans and for her courage and tenacity she paid a heavy price. Roman cruelty and brutality turned Macedonia into a slave state and her people into slaves and "gladiator fodder" for Roman amusement. Life became so harsh that mothers no longer wanted to bear children. No wonder Macedonia was the first European nation to turn away from violence and embrace the teaching of the peace loving Christ. One can almost say that Christianity came to Macedonia by accident. One of the first encounters came when Jesus' mother Mary, travelling by boat was forced to land on the shores of the Macedonian coast during a violent storm. Expecting not to be welcomed by the heathens and barbarians she was pleasantly surprised to find gentle people that not only welcomed her, but were also familiar with her son's teachings. She was so happy that she blessed the old coastal mountain that became known as Sveta Gora (Holy Mountain). The news traveled far and wide and prompted Apostle Paul to visit Macedonia in 50AD. Paul was a Jew and a Roman citizen whose name was Saul of Tarsus before he was Christianized. Paul was well received by the masses when he spoke to them directly and they understood his words. That could only have been possible if Paul spoke Macedonian, the only language the masses understood. During the same year the first Christian church "The Golden Gate" was built on Holy Mountain, which prompted the start of the Christianization in Europe. The Macedonians were the first people to be Christianized.

As Roman influence shrank in the West, Christianity in Macedonia grew strong and consolidated its power on Holy Mountain. With the collapse of Rome, power shifted from West to East. A new capital was built that would serve the Christian Empire for over a thousand years. With the new capital came a new age and a new way of life free of Roman tyranny, cruelty and brutality. It was a lasting age because it was based on peace and love modeled after Christ's teachings.

The name given to the new capital was "Tsari Grad" ("City of Kings") a well-chosen name for a powerful capital that would govern the "Pravoslaven" ("Most Glorious") Holy Christian Empire for a millennium. Tsari Grad later became known as Constantinople named after Emperor Constantine and the Pravoslaven Empire became known as the Byzantine Empire named after the ancient town of Byzantium on top of which Constantinople was built. (For more information on Macedonia please read Vasil Bogov's excellent book, "Macedonian Revelations") See www.macedonian-revelation.cjb.net).

Some authors say that Macedonia was never Latinized and the Byzantine Empire was not at all a Roman Empire but a Macedonian Empire modeled after the old Macedonian Empire from Alexander's time. The first Eastern Emperor was Constantine, a Macedonian Caesaropapist (both Caesar and Pope), who after becoming Emperor in 312AD founded Tsari Grad and a year later accepted Christianity as the official religion of his empire. Constantine chose to build his capital at Byzantium instead of Solun for two reasons. First, Byzantium was strategically positioned between the Mediterranean and the Black Sea. Second, the city was built on an Island surrounded by water, which made it a natural fortress. As well as being a military strategic point, Tsari Grad was also a center of commerce connecting east and west.

The location of Tsari Grad was a choice by design and served the Pravoslaven Empire from 313AD to 1543AD. While Western Europe toiled through the dark ages, the Pravoslaven Empire stood on guard as a bulwark against invaders protecting Europe from the East. Also, while Western Europe lay intellectually dormant, the Pravoslaven Empire gave the world art, culture, law, science and architecture.

Two hundred years after Constantine another Great Macedonian Emperor named Justinian (527-565) came to power. Justinian commissioned the building of the magnificent cathedral of St. Sofia in Tsari Grad (completed in 597AD). Justinian was also famous for the creation of what later became known as the "Justinian code" (law of the land), which provided Europe and later French Canada with a foundation for their legal systems.

At the peak of its power Tsari Grad became the crossroads of Europe and Asia, a center of commerce for the four corners of the world and a monopoly in silk cloth production. The strength of the Empire lay in the Imperial Army, the Bureaucracy and the Pravoslavna (Christian) Church. The church gave the emperor ideology, absolutism and religion that held population and institutions together. Multiculturalism flourished especially in the Capital and on Holy Mountain. Even multi-ethnic Emperors were allowed to share the Imperial throne.

It was a multicultural paradise that Alexander the Great would have envied. Actually, Alexander the Great was one of the first Macedonian leaders to understand the benefits of multiculturalism. Like a well-adorned garden with plants and flowers from many places of the world, multiculturalism equally adorns a society with knowledge and beauty. The more the cultures the greater the contribution to the artistic, scientific, architectural, mathematical, literary and cultural pool of a society. In the Pravoslaven Empire it was the Christian faith that bonded the many races and cultures together. Christianity for the Pravoslaven Empire was like Judaism is for the modern Jews. Nationalism and capitalism had no place in the philosophically religious Pravoslaven people.

Western Europe on the other hand, after awakening from her long intellectual sleep, took a different direction. While Christian faith was the essence of Eastern life, pursuit of wealth became the essence of Western life. Initially it was the Emperors, then the Kings and finally the wealthy that ruled the West. But as the pyramid of rule broke down, autocracy gave way to monarchy and as the merchant class gained wealth, monarchy gave way to capitalism. Slowly what was one time the Western Roman Empire, now became a myriad of smaller countries with unique languages and cultures. Autocrats became representatives of the wealthy, ordinary people pledged loyalty to their new nations and capitalism gave birth to nationalism. Capitalism, like a burning fire needed fuel to grow and land to spread. In the West's quest for trade, Venice was becoming the leader of commerce. Venice wanted to become a great merchant power, a middleman of consumerism but Tsari Grad was always in the way. Far superior to Venice, Tsari Grad monopolized the silk trade and prohibited Venice from realizing her dream. Finally, as fate would have it, her moment of glory was near. When the Crusaders ran out of money and couldn't afford to pay for their voyage to the Holy Lands, they turned to Venice. Venice offered them a way out but the offer came with a price. It was Pope Innocent the III who turned the crusaders first against the Christian town of Zara in the Adriatic in 1202 then against Tsari Grad in 1204. Principles gave away to greed and Christian turned against Christian. All this to satisfy the greed and commercial appetites of Venice. It was not a war of armies but a war of betrayal, deceit, and total annihilation. The unsuspecting and trusting citizens of Tsari Grad gladly opened the city doors for the Crusaders. Instead of bringing peace however, the Latins killed the entire Tsari Grad population, military and civilian, then looted the city of its possessions. The city streets were flooded with the blood of the innocent. Warriors, women, and children alike were all slaughtered like lambs by the Latin crusaders. This was an act of shame that the Western Church will endure for all eternity. (To learn about the crusades and much more please read "The Foundations of the West" by D. Fishwick).

The schism between the Western and Eastern Church that started with the one hundred-year icon controversy became permanent after the 1204 incident. While the Western Church broke up into many Christian factions, the Eastern Church remained united up until the 19th century. Latin was still in use by the Western Church when the Eastern Church converted to Macedonian. To simplify the written Macedonian language during the 8th century AD, Macedonian scholars created what is now known as the Cyrillic script. Then in 882AD while residing in Solun, the scholar Methodius translated many of the Glagolitic writings to Cyrillic script. Cyrillic is a phonetic script and easier to learn than the old Glagolitic. Unlike Latin, Macedonian (Old Church Slavonic) liturgy was well understood by the majority of subjects of the Pravoslaven Empire.

The legacy of the Pravoslaven Empire stretched beyond its borders and as far away as the Russian tribes. Most of Eastern Europe and Russia were Christianized by the cultural touch of the Pravoslaven Empire. After the fall of Tsari Grad, Moscow became the capital of Eastern Christianity. Not only did Russia take advantage of Macedonian arts and culture but she also claimed Tsari Grad's government. Ivan the Great married the niece of the last Pravoslaven Emperor and claimed his power as Czar of Russia.

After sacking Tsari Grad in 1204, a Latin Emperor was installed and his rule lasted until 1261 when the Pravoslavni overthrew him and regained control over the Empire. But in its weakened state the once mighty Pravoslaven Empire fell prey to the Muslim onslaught and capitulated to the Ottoman Turks on May 29th, 1543. West European aggression allowed the eastern gates to open and Muslims to sit at the Christian throne to this day.

Even though Ottoman authority ruled Macedonia, the Macedonian church for years played the role of educator, administrator and protector of the Macedonian people. Ohrid now became the cultural and religious capital of Macedonia. Holy Mountain through its fifty or so multicultural monasteries managed to keep the Turks out and the Pravoslavna faith alive.

After unsuccessful attempts to dominate the west, the Ottoman Empire finally halted at Venice and remained static until the 19th century. As Western Europe grew and flourished economically, Macedonia fell into darkness and despair. Heavy taxation, corruption, abuse and plain neglect of Macedonia by the Turks threw the Macedonian people into poverty and illiteracy. As the West received knowledge and light from the Pravoslaven heritage (via the Muslims in Spain and Sicily), Macedonia fell into darkness. The powerful Macedonian Church was abolished in 1767 by Sultan Mustafa III and the once faithful who drew strength, knowledge and inspiration from the church were robbed of their heritage.

Jealous of the privileges Macedonians enjoyed under the protection of the Macedonian Church, Greeks conspired with Turks to cause its (the Macedonian Church) demise. The same Greeks who served the Turks, spread political propaganda and lies throughout the world about Hellenism and managed to install themselves inside the Christian Church. Going after total domination of the Macedonian Church, the Greeks succeeded in Hellenizing and re-naming the Macedonian Church from Pravoslavna to Greek Orthodox and then claiming it as their own. Greeks re-named "Tsari Grad" to "Constantinople" and "Pravoslaven" to "Byzantine" to rob Macedonia of her glory. It seems that even then, the West was duped (by the Greeks) into believing that Byzantine heritage belonged to the Greeks. Even before the 16th century the jealous Greeks campaigned to erase Pravoslavism and Macedonian influence and replace it with a false legacy that favoured Hellenism. As it turned out, they succeeded.

During the 19th century history was re-written to fit the newly created modern states. Czarist Russian Imperialist desires for world domination gave the term "Pravoslavism" a nationalistic meaning in order to twist history in her favour. First, the idea of Pan Slavism was created claiming that the "Slavs" were a "nation" of one people. Second, the idea of Slav migrations from Russia to Europe was popularized to show nationalistic connections between Slavism and Russia.

Russia didn't get what she wanted (world domination), but in trying she created a false legacy that would haunt Macedonia to this day and beyond. For one, she gave the Greeks further ammunition to lay claims to the Ancient Macedonians. Having Slav origins pinned the modern Macedonians as "newcomers" to the region. Also, by claiming heritage to the Slavs and aligning herself with Bulgaria (San Stefano Treaty of 1878), Russia totally sold out Macedonia. This suited the Greeks and Bulgarians perfectly because both were in agreement that the Slavs in Macedonia were really Bulgarians and the conspiracy to hide Macedonia from the world was complete. This, as it turned out, had devastating effects on the Macedonian population after the Balkan wars. After 1912, "Slav" became a dirty word in Greece. Indigenous Macedonians were constantly harassed and humiliated into feeling unwelcome in their own homes. After 1912, many Macedonians who refused to pledge allegiance to Greece were labeled "Bulgar" and kicked out of Macedonia.

I want to make it perfectly clear that "Pravoslaven" in Macedonian means "Most Glorious" and refers to the Christian religion. "Slava" translates to "celebrate" as in a religious celebration. By no means does the word "Slav" have any connection to "nationality". "Slav" for a Macedonian once had the same meaning as Catholic for an Italian, Jew for a Hebrew, Orthodox for a Greek, Muslim for an Arab or Hindu for an East Indian. Today however, the beauty of the word "Slav" has, for political purposes, been twisted into something ugly, undesirable and denigrating to all Macedonians. So please Western Media refrain from calling us "Slav".

The Pravoslaven Empire lasted from 324AD when Christianity was first adopted as the official religion of the Empire to 1767 when the Turks, with Greek help, officially extinguished the Macedonian Church. After that up until 1850, the Macedonian Church lived underground and continued to operate illegally keeping the Christian faith and the Macedonian culture alive.

After the fall of Tsari Grad and the establishment of the Sultan as the sole master of the Balkans, the waters connecting the Mediterranean Sea (Stredno Zemno More) and the Black Sea (Tsrno More) were closed to all trading traffic, including Western Trading Vessels. As a direct result Columbus discovered America. With the re-discovery of science and mathematics, astronomy was not far behind. The need to find alternate routes to the Orient led Columbus to "go around" and stumble into a new continent. The rest is history.

The 19th and 20th centuries were busy times in the Balkans and will be a subject for future writings. In this document I want to show that like today, superpower intervention shaped future events in the past. The Balkans were the last capitalist frontier in Europe. While Russia was vying for access to the Mediterranean Sea, Britain, France and Turkey were trying to prevent her. Turkey was old and decrepit and needed modernization to bring her up to current economic standards. At the same time "The Sick Man of Europe" (Turkey) was poor and needed hefty injections of capital which the capitalist countries of Europe were more than willing to oblige.

This created a problem, super power Russia wanted Turkey out and superpowers France and Britain (investors) wanted her in Europe. None of the superpowers wanted to create a large modern country in the Balkans.

The superpowers, in their zeal to play politics accidentally created Greece, which became a British protectorate just to keep the Russians out of the Mediterranean. Russia kicked out Turkey from Europe and created "Greater Bulgaria" but didn't have the courage to hang on to her and Turkey was put right back. Russia then became Serbia's ally desperately hoping to gain access to the Adriatic Sea. In response, the Western powers created Albania, a protectorate of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. In the meantime the Macedonians were given the boot not once, not twice, not three times but four times.

First, Britain and France re-instated Turkish Rule in Macedonia right after rejecting the San Stefano Treaty (Greater Bulgaria).

Second, during the 1903 Ilinden Uprising, Macedonia wanted Turkey out but the Western powers wanted her in. No one stepped in to help Macedonia rebellion.

Third, after the Balkan wars of 1912-1913 when it became clear that the true intentions of the "Balkan League" (Greece, Serbia and Bulgaria) were to partition Macedonia, no one from the superpowers stepped in to stop them.

Fourth, when Macedonia's partition was ratified at the Versailles Treaty during the Paris Peace Conference of 1919, Macedonians were not allowed to attend the conference and to represent their county's interests.

(If you wish to learn more about Macedonian History from the last two hundred years, please read an excellent book by the Macedonian author "A. Michael Radin, IMRO and the Macedonian Question").

Let's not forget World War II and the Macedonian Partisan uprising against the Fascist forces. How were the Macedonians rewarded for their contribution? This was another time the West could have saved Macedonia but instead they chose to throw her back to the Greeks and Bulgarians to finish her off.

Now tell me who are the "aggressors" and who are the "victims"?

If the West is interested in helping the true victims of oppression, before they continue to help the Albanians in Macedonia who do have rights, they must first turn their attention to the Macedonians in Albania, the Macedonians in Bulgaria and the Macedonians in Greece who have no rights whatsoever in comparison to the Albanians in Macedonia. If they think that the Albanians in Macedonia are victims of oppression then what do they call the Macedonians in Democratic Greece who are not even recognized as a people, never mind having rights? There is something wrong here and if the West wants to correct it they must equalize the balance of rights for all minorities in the Balkans.

Macedonia has given Europe Christianity and kept her safe from the dark. Macedonia was the keeper of light and the guard of ancient knowledge and civilization. Through her accumulated "knowledge of the ages" Macedonia gave Europe art, mathematics, biology, medicine, law, physics and philosophy. What has Europe done for Macedonia lately?

My greatest hope in writing this article is to convince all Macedonians that we must believe in ourselves and rediscover the glory of our past, not as others tell it to us but "as it truly was".
                                GOTSE DELCEV

Comment

Working...
                                X