• Show
Clear All
  • Pelister
    • Sep 2008

“HIDE NOW
    PEOPLE, BAD AS DOGS
    WHO COME DISGUISED,
    ARE COMING AGAIN.”

The clay plate, according to Marija Gimbutas, dates back to c.5000 BC. According to Bulgarian archaeologists, it dates back to c. 3500 BC.

Ancient Macedonian !!??

Comment

• Pelister
      • Sep 2008

"As we can see, the translations provided by some Authors of Atheneus is not proper. They translate the Quote as "Macedonian Idiom" while in reality Atheneus is refering to "Macedonian speech i.e. language" in Greek μακεδονιζοντας; a participle of of μακεδονιζειν. It is also interesting that the mentioning of the Macedonian language is mentioned on the same level as the Persian language i.e Barbaric langauge influencing the Greek language."

For references, see How the ancient Greeks differentiate the languages of the Peoples.

This to me is the key.
      Last edited by Pelister; 12-12-2008, 11:26 PM. Reason: add text

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
        • Sep 2008

Ancient Macedonian Words and Names

Most of the following names do not appear to be used prior to the reign of the ancient Macedonians, although I haven't researched extensively, so if anybody can shed some more information please do.
        • Phillip
        • Parmenion
        • Attalus
        • Nicanor
        • Philotas
        • Bolon
        • Antigonus
        • Antioch
        • Seleucus
        • Cassander
        • Lysimachus
        • Amyntas
        • Berenika
        • Alexander (Apparently used alternatively with Paris by Homer)
        In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
          • Sep 2008

There was a region in Macedonia called 'Antigonea', which stems from the Greek version of the ancient Macedonian male name 'Antigonus', which is recorded in earlier times as the female name 'Antigone'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antigonia_(Paeonia)
          Antigonia (Greek: Αντιγόνεια) also transliterated as Antigonea and Antigoneia was a Hellenistic city in Paeonia, Macedon, placed in the Peutinger Table between Stena and Stobi. (Scymnus, 631; Pliny iv. 10. s. 17; Ptolemy iii. 13. § 36.)
          The region in Macedonia still exists, going by the local name of 'Negotino'. It is interesting how the word appears re-arranged when it is presented in its Macedonian form, particularly due to the fact that the exact same process seems to be followed with the Greek word 'Megalo' when compared to the Macedonian equivalent of 'Golemo'.

Antigonus - Negotino
          Megalo - Golemo
          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• TerraNova
            Banned
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
            Most of the following names do not appear to be used prior to the reign of the ancient Macedonians, although I haven't researched extensively, so if anybody can shed some more information please do.
            • Phillip
            • Parmenion
            • Attalus
            • Nicanor
            • Philotas
            • Bolon
            • Antigonus
            • Antioch
            • Seleucus
            • Cassander
            • Lysimachus
            • Amyntas
            • Berenika
            • Alexander (Apparently used alternatively with Paris by Homer)
            Some of them,like Alexander or Cassandra can be found already in Homer.
            For the others, possibly they are local Macedonian names.
            (with Greek etymology of course)

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
              • Sep 2008

Greek etymology or mutating words to be Greek sounding exists for literary purposes, it has been done with non-Macedonians also.

Can you tell me the Greek etymology of the name Parmenio(n)?

Comment

• TerraNova
                Banned
                • Nov 2008

Greek etymology or mutating words to be Greek sounding exists for literary purposes, it has been done with non-Macedonians also.

Can you tell me the Greek etymology of the name Parmenio(n)?
                They are Greek names.
                Like it or not.

It's the same etymology with this of Parmenion of Mytilene (a Greek island...),the Olympic winner, and of Parmenon the Greek comic actor.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                  • Sep 2008

Repeating to yourself that they are 'Greek' hardly makes them so. Greek variants of these names exist and are commonly replicated due to their exposure via literature, but native names also exist for many so-called 'Greek' names.

So Parmenio(n) means nothing in Greek then? Must be another one of the words like Corinth and Athena.

Comment

• TerraNova
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2008

So Parmenio(n) means nothing in Greek then? Must be another one of the words like Corinth and Athena.
                    Ok.
                    Your conclusion is great.
                    Corinthians and Athenians were not Greeks then ...

Comment

• TerraNova
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2008

I m sure if you dig deeper in Macedonian soil,you ll find some Goran, Zlatko and Stoiko ....

Oh those ancient Macedonians...were identical to you...

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by TerraNova View Post
                        Ok.
                        Your conclusion is great.
                        Corinthians and Athenians were not Greeks then ...
                        My conclusion is that the words Corinth and Athena are not Greek by origin nor do they have any etymological meaning in the Greek language. Ok?
                        I m sure if you dig deeper in Macedonian soil,you ll find some Goran, Zlatko and Stoiko
                        Probably not in such forms, but as the records are minimal one cannot really say. I can say for certain that there were no Karamans, Karadzaferis, Oglous, Souvlakis, Tzatsikis and Hellenic coffee though

Comment

• TerraNova
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2008

My conclusion is that the words Corinth and Athena are not Greek by origin nor do they have any etymological meaning in the Greek language. Ok?
                          So,what's the surprise?
                          Some placenames and other words survived in Greece,as they were in the pre-hellenic languages.
                          Exactly the same about Macedonia,of course. In the sea of Greek names,placenames,words you may find really few that survived from the pre-hellenic languages or are loans.
                          The sea though remains GREEK.

So..ok the capital of Attica is Athens.

What about the ancient capital of Macedon. AIGAI.
                          Why does it have a GREEK name ... ?

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                            • Sep 2008

no suprise, Athena and Corinth are not Greek words by origin nor do they mean anything in the Greek language. Claim what you create and not what you steal you parasite.

Comment

• Napoleon
                              • Dec 2008

My conclusion is that the words Corinth and Athena are not Greek by origin nor do they have any etymological meaning in the Greek language.
                              Exactly SOM, I don't know about 'Corinth', but I do remember reading somewhere that 'Athens' is Semetic (Ata Neith) meaning 'house of the Goddess Neith. This is consistent with Herodotus who said that almost all of the ancient Greek gods were Egyptian and connected Athena directly with Neith.

Phillip
                              Parmenion
                              Attalus
                              Nicanor
                              Philotas
                              Bolon
                              Antigonus
                              Antioch
                              Seleucus
                              Cassander
                              Lysimachus
                              Amyntas
                              Berenika
                              Alexander (Apparently used alternatively with Paris by Homer)
                              SOM...these names except for one (Bolon) all belong to the Macedonian Royal house or aristocracy. They could either be Greek interpretations of ancient Macedonian names or they could simply just be Greek names which the ancient Macedonians adopted as it is no secret that they admired Greek culture. What we do not have is the ordinarly names used by ordinary Macedonians. It is reasonable to conclude that they might have been similar to the ancient Illyrian names listed below. Replace many of the 'ius' or 'os' endings with 'ic' and you'll find the majority of the ancient Illyrian names listed below are still in use today by Serbs and Croats mostly as surnames.

Adena
                              Antis
                              Batina
                              Bato
                              Bardurius
                              Boiken
                              Breigos
                              Colatina
                              Cralus
                              Creveni
                              Cursulavia
                              Dussona
                              Drigissa
                              Glavus
                              Liccaius
                              Longarus
                              Madena
                              Malavicus
                              Marica
                              Murco
                              Oplica
                              Panes
                              Panto
                              Posantio
                              Pravaius
                              Verica
                              Verzo
                              Zanatis
                              Zorata
                              Zupricus

*All from 'The Illyrians' by John Wilkes.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                                • Sep 2008

Hi Napoleon,

You are correct on all points. The point about the ancient Macedonian names is that one's such as Phillip ONLY appear during the reign of the Macedonians, which indicates to me that they are more likely to have been native names of the region given a Greek adaptation. In the case of Phillip, this is further strengthened by the existence of the local Thracian placename of Pulpudeva in parallel with Philipopolis, 'Phillip's city'.

As for the Illyrian names, I recall an interesting discussions about them in the past with yourself, I have been re-visiting the book of John Wilkes over the last few weeks and been meaning to add something about the Illyrian language here, if you have anything that pertains to ancient Balkans names as such then post it here if you can, so we can consolidate all of that information in one place.

The Thracian language, or what is left of it anyway, has shown itself to be remarkably close to Balto-Slavic languages, on a much larger scale than with any other European language. Given that the area in which Balto-Slavic is spoken is somewhat larger than the Thracian territory, the notion that Thracian words in the Balto

Comment

Working...
                                X