X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gocka
    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Toska View Post
    orce is just jordan or ordan nagelno, like nikola and nikolce, Vojo is vojoslav shortened, its etymology would be a vojnik or a warrior, vojdan would derive from the same name.
    How can you be sure that a name like Vojo/Vojdan is shortened from Vojoslav? Many of the names like Spase/Spasislav, Branko/Branislav, Tome/Tomislav, from my experience the majority of Macedonians don't use the version with slav in it, not only in speaking but they are not Christened that way either.

Comment

• Constellation
      • Jul 2014

Thank you for everyone who has contributed to this thread. For me, the larger purpose of this thread is not so much Macedonian or Slavic names, but understanding the context of names with "Slav" in them.

Could an argument be made that the usage of "Slav" in first names is a deep seated linguistic and cultural phenomenon of all Slavic speaking people? If so, how did this come about?

Put differently, could this be the result of a natural expression of Slavic languages and cultures or is this the result of an artificial expression superimposed by Yugoslav propaganda?

Are there records of Macedonian names with "Slav" in them in the 1800s or pre Yugoslav in general?

I find this all very puzzling.

Although no nation on earth calls itself Slavic and there is no language called Slavic, there are expressions of "Slavic" in Slavic speaking peoples, even with Macedonians who identify as Macedonian and not Slavic.

What can explain the use of phrases such as Slavic Orthodox (and its linguistic equivalent in Macedonian) and names with "Slav" in them?

Please remember I am not born in Macedonia.

Anyone have answers?

Comment

• Toska
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
        How can you be sure that a name like Vojo/Vojdan is shortened from Vojoslav? Many of the names like Spase/Spasislav, Branko/Branislav, Tome/Tomislav, from my experience the majority of Macedonians don't use the version with slav in it, not only in speaking but they are not Christened that way either.
        ive come across many Macedonians with the names slav prefix at the end of their names, but in everyday use its not used i have a relative named Tome but hes birth name is Tomislav,
        Last edited by Toska; 07-29-2014, 07:15 AM.

Comment

• VMRO
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Momce Makedonce View Post
          Does anyone know some unique Macedonian first names that are not used by anyone else? I havent heard of any other nations using names like Orce, Vojo, Vojdan e.t.c

Perhaps we can compile a list like the unique Macedonian words in the Macedonian Language thread.
          I have heard of the name Lastun which i found pretty unique.
          Verata vo Mislite, VMRO vo dushata, Makedonia vo Srceto.

Vnatreshna Makedonska Revolucionerna Organizacija.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Constellation View Post
            Are there records of Macedonian names with "Slav" in them in the 1800s or pre Yugoslav in general?
            Names with such endings have existed from the middle ages, but they don't seem to be common in Macedonia, where (traditionally eastern Orthodox) Christian and native names have dominated. Having said that, names with such endings have appeared more frequently since Yugoslav times, along with other non-traditional Macedonian names like Robert, Tony, etc.
            What can explain the use of phrases such as Slavic Orthodox (and its linguistic equivalent in Macedonian)..........
            Orthodox churches that use variants of what is commonly known as Slavonic liturgy originally developed by Cyril and Methodius who based it on their own Macedonian dialect. The phrase can be misleading because it seems to suggest a single and concise entity, which it most certainly doesn't.
            Please remember I am not born in Macedonia.
            Honestly, at this point, who cares? You won't even reveal which part of Macedonia you're supposedly from, which, aside from being stupid (given that you're on a Macedonian forum and among your apparent 'kinsmen') is also deceptive.
            In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Phoenix
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
              ...Names with such endings have existed from the middle ages, but they don't seem to be common in Macedonia, where (traditionally eastern Orthodox) Christian and native names have dominated. Having said that, names with such endings have appeared more frequently since Yugoslav times, along with other non-traditional Macedonian names like Robert, Tony, etc.
              Good point SoM, in the modern context it's difficult to disregard the practice of trends in the naming of children...we constantly see pop cultural influences in given names.

I think it's been no different with names containing "Slav" in previous generations, it would be interesting to see at what stage in history such names were most frequently given to children.

Comment

• Gocka
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Toska View Post
                ive come across many Macedonians with the names slav prefix at the end of their names, but in everyday use its not used i have a relative named Tome but hes birth name is Tomislav,
                I've come across them to but they are very rare in western Macedonia. Like I said all the people I have encountered are actually Christened Tome, not Tomislav. There birth names don't include the Slav.

Comment

• Niko777
                  • Oct 2010

Hmmm, let's see how common Slavic first names were before 1900s.... let's ask ourselves.... how many Macedonian revolutionaries had first names like that?

Dame - Damjan Gruev
                  Nikola Karev
                  Goce - Georgi Delchev
                  Jane Sandanski
                  Jordan Piperkata
                  Todor Alexandrov
                  Vasil Chakalarov
                  Pandil -Panteleimon Klashev
                  Pere - Petar Toshev
                  Anastas Lozanchev
                  Anton Dimitrov
                  Hristo Tatarchev
                  Apostol Petkov

As you can see majority had Christian first names, not Slavic names or names with the word "Slav".
                  Last edited by Niko777; 07-29-2014, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• Constellation
                    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by Niko777 View Post
                    Hmmm, let's see how common Slavic first names were before 1900s.... let's ask ourselves.... how many Macedonian revolutionaries had first names like that?

Dame - Damjan Gruev
                    Nikola Karev
                    Goce - Georgi Delchev
                    Jane Sandanski
                    Jordan Piperkata
                    Todor Alexandrov
                    Vasil Chakalarov
                    Pandil -Panteleimon Klashev
                    Pere - Petar Toshev
                    Anastas Lozanchev
                    Anton Dimitrov
                    Hristo Tatarchev
                    Apostol Petkov

As you can see majority had Christian first names, not Slavic names or names with the word "Slav".
                    Thank you Niko.

So you are arguing against the soldier's post about Macedonian names having "Slav" in them from the Middle Ages? Would you agree with his assertion that names with "Slav" in them became more pronounced in the Yugoslav era, or would you disagree?

Comment

• Niko777
                      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Constellation View Post
                      Thank you Niko.

So you are arguing against the soldier's post about Macedonian names having "Slav" in them from the Middle Ages? Would you agree with his assertion that names with "Slav" in them became more pronounced in the Yugoslav era, or would you disagree?
                      I am agreeing with SoM as he said they were not common in Macedonia. And yes they did become more pronounced in the Yugoslav era.

Comment

• DraganOfStip
                        • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Soldier of Macedon View Post
                        You won't even reveal which part of Macedonia you're supposedly from, which, aside from being stupid (given that you're on a Macedonian forum and among your apparent 'kinsmen') is also deceptive.
                        My point (on several occasions) exactly.
                        Constellation,are you going to reveal to your fellow Macedonians where exactly in Macedonia you're from or will you keep avoiding an answer like you did so far?
                        ”A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims... but accomplices”
                        ― George Orwell

Comment

• lavce pelagonski
                          • Nov 2009

Constellation I think if you were to type in Macedonian in English it might help you conceal your identity from those pesky grks. If not sto da to prajme. Abe kazi od koi grad/selo si nebarame ime i prezime.
                          Стравот на Атина од овој Македонец одел до таму што го нарекле „Страшниот Чакаларов“ „гркоубиец“ и „крвожеден комитаџија“.

„Ако знам дека тука тече една капка грчка крв, јас сега би ја отсекол целата рака и би ја фрлил в море.“ Васил Чакаларов

Comment

• Constellation
                            • Jul 2014

Originally posted by lavce pelagonski View Post
                            If not sto da to prajme. Abe kazi od koi grad/selo si nebarame ime i prezime.
                            Od Gevgelija.

Comment

• Gocka
                              • Dec 2012

Constellation,

Since no one has asked you directly, I will. Why are you so obsessed with all things "slavic" in relation to Macedonia? Every topic you have posted has been centered around a slavic question. Why? Why does this interest you more than everything else? You cam here and skipped all formalities and began creating topic after topic around the same basic questions. I believe you are Macedonian, I am just curious why these topics interest you so much, especially since for all the questions you ask, you already seem to have answers.

Comment

• Phoenix
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Gocka View Post
                                ... I believe you are Macedonian...
                                I don't think he's Macedonian at all.
                                I just don't get the whole charade thing going on with him.

C'mon 'constellation', out with it...we don't bite.

Comment

Working...
                                X