X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill77
    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by RitaC View Post
    I mean the fascination with anything ancient.

The ancients are irrelevant, the fascination is regressive and counter producive.

Macedonia's biggest and costliest tactical error has been pursuing the antiquisation policy.
    Just to make things clear, it was Greece that started with this fascination with us and antiquisation. We just answer their queries and by not responding will be counter productive.
    http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
      • Sep 2008

I don't see anything wrong with a healthy interest in the early history of Macedonia, it is all relevant. There are also statues of more recent historical figures too. And although I understand your point about the focus on human rights, are you suggesting that we ignore altogether our history from antiquity? If not, what sort of limitations do you think there should be?
      Not to mention the cringe-worthy Macedonian falanx greeting the Hunza king at the airport, which I see as an attempt to impose a dead culture on a supposed modern state.
      Nobody is trying to impose a dead culture, but we have every right to pursue our historical roots and know more about where we came from and what we have done. I agree about the whole Hunza situation, although I was not so much against the visit but more concerned about the way it was handled.
      I recall the early years of the maknews forum, how we laughed at Grk plans to carve Alexander's head into a mountain.
      We're a long way from comparing to the lunacy of some Greeks.
      In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Pelister
        • Sep 2008

The ancients are irrelevant, the fascination is regressive and counter producive.

Macedonia's biggest and costliest tactical error has been pursuing the antiquisation policy.

Had our argument centered exclusively on our human rights, I am 99% sure that by now we would have won the name game. Instead, we've joined the Grks in their column mania - and in many cases, we might have even out done them.

Then there is the impact on our already deplorable architecture. The 8 star shields in Bitola, the tragic bust of Alexander at the airport....and now crowned by the the abominable fountain. Kitsch, incongruous and embarrassing.

Not to mention the cringe-worthy Macedonian falanx greeting the Hunza king at the airport, which I see as an attempt to impose a dead culture on a supposed modern state.

I recall the early years of the maknews forum, how we laughed at Grk plans to carve Alexander's head into a mountain.
        Yes, but Aleksandar Veliki (not this artificial 'Megos Alexandros' bullshit) has always been a part of Macedonian folklore. He isn't "celebrated" so much as he is simply stated as being one of us, and we his descendants. There are oral traditions that have been passed down over many centuries, poems, songs, stories about Aleksandar - we have that! The New Greeks never did. The 'Hellenophiles' in Europe have basically ignored the evidence, hijacked the 'King' and passed him onto a foriegn culture.

The term antiquisation is another colonial term. It is a piece of foriegn propaganda that ignores the evidence. How can this be a form of antiquisation, when the empirical evidence points to the fact that Aleksandar has always been a key part of the Macedonian oral tradition?

Are we to ignore what our own oral traditions say, because a foriegner has pointed the finger and thrown the word 'antiquisation' at us. The only peopl in the region guilty of doing this are the New Greeks, with their sham heritage and sham past.

Comment

• lavce pelagonski
          • Nov 2009

I never liked it when people call him Veliki its not really our word it should be Aleksandar Golemiot or simply Makedonski.
          Стравот на Атина од овој Македонец одел до таму што го нарекле „Страшниот Чакаларов“ „гркоубиец“ и „крвожеден комитаџија“.

„Ако знам дека тука тече една капка грчка крв, јас сега би ја отсекол целата рака и би ја фрлил в море.“ Васил Чакаларов

Comment

• Bill77
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by lavce pelagonski View Post
            I never liked it when people call him Veliki its not really our word it should be Aleksandar Golemiot or simply Makedonski.
            I'm not sure if this is the case. It is not so strange of a word in our language as we think. We have discussed this word after the renaming of the airport.

Here are some of the examples given previously

Veligden- Great day (Easter)

Velika - common female name

Cant remember the other examples but they were two. Ofcourse this does not prove the word originated from the Macedonian language, but then again i don't know much about it and it could be.
            Last edited by Bill77; 06-23-2011, 03:04 AM.
            http://www.macedoniantruth.org/forum/showthread.php?p=120873#post120873

Comment

• mango
              • Feb 2010

The Multilingual Experience in Egypt, from the Ptolemies to the 'Abbasids

Papaconstantinou, Arietta, ed. <i>The Multilingual Experience in
              Egypt, from the Ptolemies to the 'Abbasids</i>. Burlington, VT:
              Ashgate, 2010. Pp. x, 240. $114.95. ISBN: 9780754665366.

Reviewed by Janet Timbie
              Catholic University of America
              [email protected]

This collection of essays adds to the growing field of study of
              language change and language interaction in Egypt. The impetus for
              the publication came from lectures given by Willy Clarysse and Sofia
              Torallas Tovar in 2005, and from seminar presentations by Sarah J.
              Clackson. Essays were added in order to present evidence for
              multilingualism over the entire period in question. The quality of
              research and analysis presented in these essays is generally very
              high, though some aspects of the publication format make the volume a
              bit hard to use. All essays but one are written in English, though
              this is not the first language of certain contributors, and thus some
              editorial polishing would have been helpful. But these details do not
              seriously detract from the overall quality of this collection.

Important work in this field has been published in the last decade,
              and the pace of research is increasing. J. N. Adams, <i>Bilingualism
              and the Latin Language</i> (2003), set a standard for research in this
              area and is frequently cited in the essays in this collection, as are
              the reference works, <i>The Oxford Handbook of Papyrology</i> (2009)
              and <i>Egypt in the Byzantine World</i> (2007), both edited by Roger
              Bagnall. Both reference works have chapters dealing with language
              usage in Egypt. Another recently published collection of essays,
              <i>From Hellenism to Islam: Cultural and Linguistic Change in the
              Roman Near East</i>, edited by H. Cotton et al. (2009), is similar in
              scope to the collection reviewed here, and has some of the same
              contributors.

The volume is divided into three parts. An introductory essay by the
              editor, Arietta Papaconstantinou, and a somewhat different
              introduction to the topic, by Sofia Torallas Tovar, lead off. Part
              One, Evidence for a Multilingual Society: Documents and Archives,
              follows with three essays (Clarysse, Clackson, and Sijpesteijn). Part
              Two, Case Studies in Language Use in a Multilingual Society (Dieleman,
              Choat, Boud'hors, Richter, Cromwell) closes the collection. When the
              reader carefully studies individual essays, there is much valuable
              information and analysis, as well as interesting pointers to the
              direction of future research. As Papaconstantinou says in the
              introduction, "The approach taken here is broadly socio-historical,
              and focuses in great part on making the rich source material and its
              potential better known. If anything, this collection demonstrates the
              necessity for further work in this field with a full theoretical
              framework to support it" (4). Due to the great advantages offered by
              the preservation of evidence on papyri, multilingualism in Egypt from
              300 B.C.E. to 700 C.E. can be studied over a "wider range of social
              strata and language registers" (3). She then reviews topics that need
              study, including separation between Greek and Egyptian cultures,
              interference, bilingual scribes, education, group language use,
              bilingual archives, gender, and public use of language, and points out
              how each essay advances research. Torallas follows with a historical
              survey of the evidence, and the questions that it raises, in
              "Linguistic Identity in Graeco-Roman Egypt." She offers a useful
              review of the Greek presence in Egypt before Alexander, based on both
              literary and documentary evidence. Then, after an overview of changes
              in Egyptian written language, Torallas turns to bilingualism and notes
              that the "level of language mixing and of bilingualism among the
              speakers was as heterogeneous as the population" (28), yet researchers
              can only approach this problem by means of written evidence from the
              Graeco-Roman period.

From this point on, the essays describe and analyze specific bodies of
              evidence for multilingualism in Egypt. In Part One (Documents and
              Archives), Willy Clarysse, "Bilingual Papyrological Archives," begins
              with useful links to on-line databases for papyri and ostraca and
              defines an archive as "a group of several texts that were brought
              together <i>in Antiquity</i> by an institution or person" (48). After
              discussing aspects of the relationship between archives and
              archaeology, Clarysse turns to bilingual Greek-Demotic archives and
              presents the evidence with an effective combination of graphs and
              text. The late Sarah J. Clackson, whose essay "Coptic or Greek?
              Bilingualism in the Papyri" was posthumously edited by
              Papaconstantinou from two conference papers, provides an excellent
              introduction to the relationship between written Coptic and Greek in
              the fourth to seventh centuries. Beginning students of Coptic,
              papyrology, and related fields would get a good orientation from this
              essay, since the author aims to dismantle the "dichotomy between
              'Greek-speaking culture' and 'Coptic-speaking culture'" (73).
              Clackson believed that this dichotomy did not exist, but was an
              artifact of the separation of Greek studies and Egyptian studies in
              museums, libraries, and universities. More advanced students and
              scholars will learn from the examples presented of interference
              between Greek and Coptic at the level of lexicons and syntax, and from
              the discussion of bilingual Coptic-Greek archives, "focusing on who
              was writing what and why" (88). The last essay in Part 1 is
              "Multilingual Archives and Documents in Post-Conquest Egypt" by Petra
              Sijpesteijn, who carries the subject into and beyond the seventh
              century through analysis of the use of Greek, Coptic, and Arabic in
              public and private archives. Her conclusion highlights the
              significant increase in the use of written Arabic in archives from the
              seventh to the eighth centuries, but also underlines the difficulty in
              understanding how Egypt eventually "became an entirely Arabic-speaking
              country" (123). Sijpesteijn's more speculative ideas about this,
              related to changes in low-level administration and religious
              conversion, point the direction to further research.

Part Two (Case Studies in Language Use in a Multilingual Society) is
              longer, with five essays in rough chronological order by date of
              texts. Jacco Dieleman, in "What's in a Sign? Translating Filiation
              in the Demotic Magical Papyri," examines the relationship between
              written Egyptian (Demotic), spoken Egyptian, and Greek through the
              evidence of bilingual magical manuscripts in which a Greek
              abbreviation sign is used in the Demotic font. Dieleman then asks,
              "Are there any indications that the foreign loan sign articulates a
              particular sentiment on the part of the editors within its new
              linguistic and scriptural environment?" (129). After a very careful
              and clearly written analysis, Dieleman ends by saying that "it remains
              unclear to me what these sections have in common that could explain
              the loan sign's occurrence" (151). Yet the reader will not be
              disappointed with this modest conclusion because the analysis has been
              so careful and has set a standard for future research. Malcolm Choat,
              "Early Coptic Epistolography," shifts the discussion into the Coptic
              period of written Egyptian, looks at formulae in early Coptic letters,
              and "assesses the relative influence of Graeco-Roman patterns, the
              letters of Paul, and earlier Egyptian precursors" (153). He concludes
              that all three elements influenced Coptic practice, and therefore that
              the knowledge of "the last guardians of Demotic" (178), namely the
              Egyptian priestly class, contributed to Coptic in a way that must be
              studied further.

Another type of multilingualism is explored by Anne Boud'hors in
              "Toujours honneur au grec? Ŕ propos d'un papyrus gréco-copte de la
              region thébaine." Some liturgical manuscripts from the seventh
              century have Greek and Coptic versions of the same text on facing
              pages. Her analysis demonstrates that the Greek version had a place
              of honor, but probably was not read in services, thus forecasting the
              relationship between Coptic and Arabic versions in eleventh-century
              liturgical manuscripts. Tonio Sebastian Richter, in "Language Change
              in the Qurra Dossier," adds to the study of written Arabic in Egypt
              with an exploration of a trilingual collection of texts related to
              taxation and dated to the early eighth century. His essay begins with
              a statement of principle regarding language choice in written versus
              spoken communication, continues with background on Umayyad
              administration in Egypt, and then delves into the details of the Qurra
              dossier, leading to some suggestions about the usage of both spoken
              and written Coptic in the public domain. Finally, Jennifer Cromwell
              offers a case study of the work of an eighth-century scribe who wrote
              both Coptic and Greek texts, "Aristophanes Son of Johannes: An Eighth-
              Century Bilingual Scribe? A Study of Graphic Bilingualism."
              Aristophanes clearly used different Coptic and Greek hands for texts
              in each language and the illustrations and analysis in Cromwell's
              essay are very clear and helpful. It seems that there were multiple
              schools for scribal training and Aristophanes was the product of one
              that taught two different styles. But the relationship between this
              graphic bilingualism and true bilingualism, as in the famous case of
              Dioscorus of Aphrodito, remains to be explored.

The reader will have some problems in using this volume. On occasion,
              poor choices in English lead to confusion. See, for example, "did not
              go wasted on administrators" (8) and "a man invested in Christ" (40 n.
              98); other instances could be cited. The table of contents omits the
              headings Part One and Part Two. There are no bibliographies, either
              at the end of each essay or in the volume as a whole, although there
              is an index. The publisher should have corrected these problems, yet
              they do not negate the value of the collection. The essays by
              Torallas, Clarysse, Clackson, Sijpesteijn, and Richter combine
              background material that would be very helpful to both beginners and
              advanced students with expert analysis of a specific problem. The
              entire case study section (Part Two) offers material from the cutting
              edge of multilingual studies, where technical command of the material
              is combined with understanding of the theoretical framework.

Comment

• Po-drum
                • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Delodephius View Post
                Furthermore, the sounds of the letters J, Ќ, Ѓ, Њ, Љ, Џ and Ф did not even exist in Old Macedonian (Old Church Slavonic) a thousand years ago, let alone a thousand years before that. Their appearance and evolution in all Slavic languages is well documented. If they're research was indeed in accordance with the scientific knowledge of Macedonian language we should expect that these sounds would not appear in their decipherment of the Demotic text, yet they do. They could argue that perhaps what was known so far about the phonological evolution of Macedonian is wrong, but then they would need to explain the evidence of the documentation. If it was only that. In reality they face a mammoth task of explaining why they ignored the documentation of the Macedonian language of the last 1000 years.
                What do you think about this possibility:

"There cannot be any doubt now that Thracian had specific sounds (e.g. č, ǧ, š, ť, at least a neutral vowel ə, maybe two in some dialects, etc.), impossible to be accurately recorded in the Greek and Latin documents."

Macedonia - my shoulders from ruins and skies

Comment

• Delodephius
                  • Sep 2008

Hm, old school stuff. The author of the paper assumes the existence of a Pre-Indo-European language in cases he cannot explain the origin of some words. This shows he believes in the migration of Proto-Indo-European peoples into Europe, probably according to the Kurgan hypothesis. He also holds the position that Palaeo-Balkan languages are not directly connected to later Slavic languages, in other words he does not deny the Slavic migration hypothesis and displacement of the original Balkan settlers, the Thracians, Illyrians and Macedonians, who's ancestors displaced the PreIE peoples in the first place. He also supports the Nostratic theory and all that it then stands for. So, even though I agree that some consonants that could not be recorded in Greek or Latin like š, ž, č, c, did exist in the Palaeo-Balkan inventory, I don't agree with a lot of what he is saying.
                  अयं निज: परो वेति गणना लघुचेतसाम्।
                  उदारमनसानां तु वसुधैव कुटुंबकम्॥
                  This is mine or (somebody) else’s (is the way) narrow minded people count.
                  But for broad minded people, (whole) earth is (like their) family.

Comment

• DedoAleko
                    • Jun 2009

Русите се согласија дека македонските научници го дешифрираа „каменот од Розета“

Руските лингвисти се согласни дека македонските научници го открија кодот за дешифрирање на старите написи. Тие признаа дека сознанијата на нашите научници им помогнале да дешифрираат голем број стари списи.

Доскоро не можеше да се прочита средниот текст на познатиот „камен од Розета“, кој како клуч за читање на хиероглифите се наоѓа во британскиот музеј.

Старомакедонскиот напис во средниот дел на каменот одговара на написот во црквата Света Богородица Перивлепта во Охрид, но и на бројни ракописи, што се чуваат во руските архиви.

izvor: http://kanal5.com.mk/default.aspx?mI...&eventId=80744

Comment

• Dimko-piperkata
                      • Sep 2008

the academics from russia are for @TM and @SoM worthless...only the opinion of the western culture (en speaking area) are truthfully and credibly

Russian academics: Yes the macedonians decrypted the Stone of Rosetta - YouTube
                      1) Macedonians belong to the "older" Mediterranean substratum...
                      2) Macedonians are not related with geographically close Greeks, who do not belong to the "older" Mediterranenan substratum...

Comment

• Delodephius
                        • Sep 2008

Доскоро не можеше да се прочита средниот текст на познатиот „камен од Розета“, кој како клуч за читање на хиероглифите се наоѓа во британскиот музеј.
                        That's not true. The text was and is fully readable. The entire project of the two Macedonian scholars is based on the false information that Demotic text was not readable or that it was not translated. They got their facts wrong from the start.

Secondly, which Russian scholars? People just assume that ALL Russian scholars are one group of people who when declare something is a gospel given truth. The inferiority complex of the Balkan peoples towards their Russian overlords. There are many Russian linguists and other scholars, different schools, different traditions. Some are crackpots just like the Macedonian "scholars" who "deciphered" the middle text of the Rosetta Stone. So which Russian scholars? Chudinov and his deluded ilk?
                        Last edited by Delodephius; 09-28-2011, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• Delodephius
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Dimko-piperkata View Post
                          the academics from russia are for @TM and @SoM worthless...only the opinion of the western culture (en speaking area) are truthfully and credibly
                          You speak as if there is no such thing as examination, research, scientific method, historical theory, etc. etc. As if people just choose which side to believe indiscriminately and then follow the opinion of that side blindly. The way you jump for joy when Russians agree with what you believe because it reassures you that you have chosen the right side since you don't know shit about the subject in the first place. It just fits your agenda. We don't do that. Russians don't agree with you. Just a small bunch that is not taken seriously by most of Russian scholars. They too have problems with popularity and fame seeking dogs that will say and claim anything just to get the people on their side. And ordinary everyday people believe their every word since they are easily persuaded with high index vocabulary or fancy speech, and attractive "evidence".

Comment

• Delodephius
                            • Sep 2008

Further, I am a bit appalled how people are ignorant of the history of the Egyptian language, the various stages of this language, its wast literature. At least as Orthodox Christians, Macedonians should be familiar with the existence of the Coptic language, the final stage of Egyptian, which is, much like Church Slavonic among Macedonians, used by the Copts, or Orthodox Christian Egyptians, which number at least some 10 million in Egypt alone, as a liturgical language.

There is a clear mark of evolution from older Demotic, which was still used by the priests of the Ancient Egyptian religion, to Coptic which was used and is still used by Christian priests and written in a version of the Greek alphabet (similar to Cyrillic). Those letters that were missing in the Greek alphabet were taken from the Demotic alphabet.

Comment

• Pelister
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Delodephius View Post
                              You speak as if there is no such thing as examination, research, scientific method, historical theory, etc. etc. As if people just choose which side to believe indiscriminately and then follow the opinion of that side blindly. The way you jump for joy when Russians agree with what you believe because it reassures you that you have chosen the right side since you don't know shit about the subject in the first place. It just fits your agenda. We don't do that. Russians don't agree with you. Just a small bunch that is not taken seriously by most of Russian scholars. They too have problems with popularity and fame seeking dogs that will say and claim anything just to get the people on their side. And ordinary everyday people believe their every word since they are easily persuaded with high index vocabulary or fancy speech, and attractive "evidence".
                              You speak as though you sit outside of the everything that doesn't suite your politics. It also seems you speak for the "Russian scholars" and presumably the non-Russian scholars, and know something of the public attitudes and professional feelings of both groups. Are you professionally involved with any of them? I doubt it. You should re-read your posts, carefully. Your making alot of wild claims here, but I noticed that it has been your 'thing' to do that.

Comment

• Delodephius
                                • Sep 2008

There exists in Russia the so-called "Academy of Trinitarism" that publishes a great volume of works that are almost entirely rejected by the mainstream Russian academia. If the linguists who agree on the issues that the middle text of the Rosetta Stone is written in Macedonian belong to the Academy, or a similar group which are abundant in Russia and likewise rejected by the mainstream academia, then it means not ALL Russian scholars are involved. The article gives the impression that ALL Russians scholars, or at least the important ones, are in agreement with the middle text being Macedonian, when the reality could be that only a minority of them, like the ones belonging to the Academy or such a group are, and maybe not even most of them. The article is short, there is no reference, and most curiously neither in the article nor in the video is there a mention of which Russian scholars. Russian Academy of Science is too vague as there are many camps in it itself.

Comment

Working...
                                X