• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TrueMacedonian
    • Jan 2009

Macedonia beats Iceland 2-0

Macedonia beats Iceland 2-0 in WCup qualifying
    Posted 4h 27m ago | Comment | Recommend E-mail | Save | Print |

SKOPJE, Macedonia (AP) — Aco Stojkov and Filip Ivanovski scored Wednesday for Macedonia to beat Iceland 2-0 in a World Cup qualifying match.
    Stojkov beat goalkeeper Gunnleifur Gunnleifsson with a header in the ninth minute from a pass by Filip Despotovski.

Ivanovski replaced Stojkov in the second half to make his national-team debut, and he made it 2-0 in the 87th after a pass from Vlatko Grozdanovski.

The result revived Macedonia's hopes of advancing. The team now has seven points to be equal second in Group 9 with Scotland, which has played a game less. Iceland is next to last with four points.

Macedonia missed a string of first-half chances. Goran Pandev shot wide in the 18th after good lead-up work from Stojkov.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: Goran Pandev | Brynjar Gunnarsson | Goce Sedloski
    Macedonia goalkeeper Jane Nikoloski was replaced in the 67th with a chest injury after colliding with Iceland striker Palmi Rafn Palmason.

Group leader Netherlands has already qualified for the World Cup after having beaten Iceland 2-1 last week.

___

Lineups:

Macedonia: Jane Nikoloski (Tome Pachovski, 73), Goran Popov, Goce Sedloski, Igor Mitrevski, Slavko Georgievski, Velice Shumulikoski (Vlatko Grozdanovski, 77), Goran Pandev, Ilcho Naumoski, Filip Despotovski, Vlade Lazarevski, Aco Stojkov (Filip Ivanovski, 64).

Iceland: Gunnleifur Gunnleifsson, Solvi Ottesen, Bjarni Eiriksson, Kristjan Orn Sigurdsson, Eggert Jonsson (Birkir Saevarsson, 59), Gretar Rafn Steinsson, Brynjar Gunnarsson, Stefan Gislason, Emil Hallfredsson, Palmi Rafn Palmason (Johan Gudmunsson, 75), Arnor Smarason.

:rmacedonia
    Slayer Of The Modern "greek" Myth!!!
  • Risto the Great
    • Sep 2008

Good stuff.
    It would be great exposure for Macedonia if it gets to the world cup.
    Risto the Great
    MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
    "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Pelister
      • Sep 2008

That would be something special, but at the same time it would be humiliating and degrading for us to have the name FYROM displayed everytime we enter the field, or to be called FYROM. Damn those Greeks. I think the Macedonians play a pretty good brand of soccer.

Comment

• Jankovska
        • Sep 2008

I think if we were in the world cup it be amazing, most countries don't bother saying the FYrom crap, they just say Macedonia.

Comment

Working...
        X