X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daskalot
    • Sep 2008

Macedonian flyers all over Skopje!

This flyer has recently been posted up all over the Macedonian capital.

It promotes the pride of being Macedonian.

Here is a translation of it into English:
    PRIDE

Philip was a Macedonian
    Alexander was a Macedonian
    St. Cyrill and Methodius were Macedonian
    St. Clement of Ohrid was a Macedonian
    Tsar Samuil was a Macedonian
    King Marko was a Macedonian
    Karpoš was a Macedonian
    The Gemidžii were Macedonians
    Goce Delčev was a Macedonian
    Dame Gruev was a Macedonian
    Nikola Karev was a Macedonian
    Krste P. Misirkov was a Macedonian
    M.A. Čento was a Macedonian

Be proud of your history,
    Be proud of your ancestry,
    Be proud of that you are Macedonians

Thanks Rogi for noting this.
    Macedonian Truth Organisation
  • Jankovska
    • Sep 2008

everyone was macedonian

Comment

• Delodephius
      • Sep 2008

Except Clement of Ohrid (and also Naum of Ohrid) who as far as I know was born in Moesia and only latter after return from Moravia settled in Macedonia, and Prince Marko who was a Herzegovian, son of a Serbian king, the rest are Macedonians.

One thing about the choice of font for the flyer: why use the Celtic Garamond font instead of the traditional Church Slavonic font which was after all invented in Macedonia?

And another thing: people who spread pride, a mortal sin, I cannot take seriously. Dignity is another thing. Nationalistic pride is basically lying and stealing: you lie to yourself and others who you and they are instead of being what you really are, an individual with unique thoughts and personality, and you are stealing someone else's glory and achievements, someone who is no longer alive to tell you to return to the real world. Alexander may have conquered the known world but none of what he accomplished and acquired belongs to you or to anyone else but Alexander. He is not your child, stop being proud of him and treat him like the man, the individual he was, with respect or disrespect, it's your choice. Stop flaunting yourself with someone else's feathers.
      Last edited by Delodephius; 05-27-2009, 04:07 PM.
      अयं निज: परो वेति गणना लघुचेतसाम्।
      उदारमनसानां तु वसुधैव कुटुंबकम्॥
      This is mine or (somebody) else’s (is the way) narrow minded people count.
      But for broad minded people, (whole) earth is (like their) family.

Comment

• Daskalot
        • Sep 2008

they were most likely to attract some Celts
        Macedonian Truth Organisation

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

I have no problem with "pride".
          Intelligent people can do many useful things with pride.

These posters are a good thing but will not be good on their own.
          Risto the Great
          MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
          "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Rogi
            • Sep 2008

Slovak, stick to linguistics where you know your stuff.

Comment

• Delodephius
              • Sep 2008

Intelligent people can do many useful things with pride.
              Name one good thing you can do with pride that will have no negative effect on anyone.
              Last edited by Delodephius; 05-27-2009, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• Delodephius
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Rogi View Post
                Slovak, stick to linguistics where you know your stuff.
                Actually, linguistics is forth on my list:

1. philosophy
                2. history
                3. agriculture
                4. linguistics
                etc.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Slovak/Anomaly/Tomas View Post
                  Name one good thing you can do with pride that will have no negative effect on anyone.
                  If you are on the bad end of the stick. In other words, the existing recipient of the negative effect, then it can be very useful in helping to reclaim the dignity you speak of.

Slovak, you have some contradictions within you that you will work out over time. You can't have a Slovak painted face and say some of the things you say.
                  Risto the Great

Comment

• Delodephius
                    • Sep 2008

If you are on the bad end of the stick. In other words, the existing recipient of the negative effect, then it can be very useful in helping to reclaim the dignity you speak of.
                    I've never heard of anyone reclaiming their dignity with pride. If anything you only make it worse. If you don't have dignity to begin with (since you have to reclaim it as you said) then what kind of sorry pathetic person are you? Only the worst kind of people don't have dignity, and I know Macedonians have dignity. And you wouldn't be an intelligent person if you got yourself to such a situation to lose your dignity therefore there is no intelligent person to use pride for such a purpose.

You can't have a Slovak painted face and say some of the things you say.
                    That's because I'm not proud of being a Slovak. I don't really care about Slovaks or Slovakia more than I care about anyone else. I just like the symbol and I use it for my own aesthetic purposes. I also added it to my profile to remind people I'm not a Macedonian because I got sick of Greeks assuming that I am one. To me being a Slovak is a statistical fact, that I was born and raised in a society that practices culture most common for people who happen to label themselves Slovaks. That I am one is a predestined coincidence.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                      • Sep 2008

Do you think the Christians in Ottoman times had dignity?
                      One of the definitions being "a sense of self-importance"?

Do you think "pride" as defined by "satisfaction in one's own or another's success or achievements" could be a useful tool to develop a sense of self-importance?

I sense your growing distaste for nationalism. Everyone has something they call a home. Philosophically, your nationality can be argued as something of little significance. But people have been killing each other for many years over the same issue. And the philosophers have been wearing cardigans. To each their own.
                      Risto the Great

Comment

• Delodephius
                        • Sep 2008

I have been reading a lot on both dignity and pride and there seems to be a lack of topics that compare these two, and yet they are quite different. There are many definitions of pride, one being the one you provided, like when parents are proud of their child. This can be said to be the positive pride, but it is not the one we are discussing here. We are discussing pride of oneself not pride of others. Nationalistic pride is a pride of oneself, a very negative pride as it lifts the self-importance into the sphere of egoism and selfishness, not that people have this since birth, but these are attributes no one should boast about. The opposite of negative pride is humility, one of the fundamentals of Christianity, so how can true Christians be proud of themselves? They are not true Christians then, yet most nationalistic Macedonians are boasting of their Orthodoxy. That is contradictory.

Everyone has something they call a home.
                        That is local-patriotism and I support that. "Act locally think globally" as they say. But there too I'll only go so far. I'll defend my home, but am I any good for not helping others save their homes? That is the thing with patriotism: you'll help those who just happen to live on the same territory you do, but don't care about those who live somewhere else. Is it any better than nationalism?

Philosophically, your nationality can be argued as something of little significance. But people have been killing each other for many years over the same issue.
                        Stupidity knows no bounds. War is the culmination of human stupidity. We say those who defend themselves have the right to, but that doesn't make the whole war any better or justified. We would only see defence as a necessity of war and as such a stupidity people were forced to be drawn into for their own instinct of self-preservation. Just remember not to loose your dignity in it.

Comment

• Soldier of Macedon
                          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Slovak
                          Except Clement of Ohrid (and also Naum of Ohrid) who as far as I know was born in Moesia and only latter after return from Moravia settled in Macedonia, and Prince Marko who was a Herzegovian, son of a Serbian king, the rest are Macedonians.
                          Please elaborate Slovak.
                          In the name of the blood and the sun, the dagger and the gun, Christ protect this soldier, a lion and a Macedonian.

Comment

• Delodephius
                            • Sep 2008

Well the two Saints were both from Moesia as stated in their biographies. Prince Marko Mrnjavčević and his father Vukašin or Volkašin Mrnjavčević merely by their surnames are from the Mrnjava clan in Herzegovina. And Marko's mother was a Bulgarian princes I think.

Aren't you suppose to know this?

Comment

• Magedon
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Slovak/Anomaly/Tomas View Post
                              Well the two Saints were both from Moesia as stated in their biographies. Prince Marko Mrnjavčević and his father Vukašin or Volkašin Mrnjavčević merely by their surnames are from the Mrnjava clan in Herzegovina. And Marko's mother was a Bulgarian princes I think.

Aren't you suppose to know this?
                              I think this is correct.

About the 2 saints, i thought they were Macedonians....
                              Makedonsko devojche, kitka sharena; od gradina nabrana - dar podarena - IMA LI ?????

Comment

Working...
                              X