X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phoenix
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Tomche Makedonche View Post
    And all I'm simply saying is that if the same question was posed by a Croatian, Italian, Indian, Englishman, etc regarding women belonging to their own ethnicity, you would likely get similar responses to the ones Macedonians come up with.

Wouldn't it therefore be more reasonable to conclude that people who date partners outside their culture in a multicultural society has more to do with the greater partnership options provided to them as a result of their integration within a multicultural society; as opposed to any of the perceived discrepancies (which appear to be universally shared) within their own ethnic communities?
    I think you're spot-on TM...there's no mysterious force that makes the Macedonian experience unique in any way.

Comment

• Vangelovski
      • Sep 2008

Mac4life2, did any of this BS help? Just find a good woman - as you define it - and don't worry about anything else. After all, you're the one that's going to have to live with her.
      If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Risto the Great
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Vangelovski View Post
        Mac4life2, did any of this BS help? Just find a good woman - as you define it - and don't worry about anything else. After all, you're the one that's going to have to live with her.
        We failed to ask Mac4life2 if he was after a women in the traditional sense or one that is more fluid in identity. No wonder the thread went pear shaped. How are we supposed to know!
        Risto the Great
        MACEDONIA:ANHEDONIA
        "Holding my breath for the revolution."

Hey, I wrote a bestseller. Check it out: www.ren-shen.com

Comment

• Risto the Great
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
          I think you're spot-on TM...there's no mysterious force that makes the Macedonian experience unique in any way.
          I don't know about that, Macedonians are pretty unique in the sense they prefer orgies. We've been getting fucked by Serbia, Greece, Albania, Bulgaria and Turkey for ages.
          Risto the Great

Comment

• Risto the Great
            • Sep 2008

Wouldn't it therefore be more reasonable to conclude that people who date partners outside their culture in a multicultural society has more to do with the greater partnership options provided to them as a result of their integration within a multicultural society; as opposed to any of the perceived discrepancies (which appear to be universally shared) within their own ethnic communities?
            I think many 2nd generation immigrants don't date within their culture due to the girls fearing the perception they are the town bike. Notwithstanding they might be ridden elsewhere.
            Risto the Great

Comment

• mac4life2
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Amphipolis View Post
              So mac4life2, to make a long story short, Macedonian women talk too much. You may have served in Iraq or Afghanistan, but do you think you can stand this?
              Lol Thank you Amphipolis, I served in Iraq and it was stressful. Especially seeing French women being soldiers themselves. Luckily I've been having great luck finding a lady who wants to date and appreciates me for me. She also wants to learn how to be a typical Macedonian women. Oddly enough, she is a nice Mexican born lady from Oaxaca, Mexico living near me like 30 minutes out in Chicago. I think she might be the catch. And I appreciate all your help, rant, banter and interesting perspectives. But remember no matter how much we clash with each other, OUR BLOOD is red like Macedonia. We are all Macedonian, and we must stick together to push the common foe. Thank you all again and Merry Christmas! HAPPY Kolede!

EDIT: Also I thank you all FOR WHAT YOU DO FOR ME! I know I've been out of touch for a week or two, but I am glad I have Macedonians who I can relate to. I would love a traditional women, but I want a women just who is by my side and won't back stab me like the snake of a women I dated for 1 1/2 year due to being too "assertive", "dominate" or realistic for her feminist ass. And trust me before some of you say anything? It didn't work after a while, she just duped me and played me because she wasn't sure if I'd be worse or the same when I returned home from deployment. Fyi- She left in late April, not even a whole month being away from home did I receive that Dear John message. And trust me it hurt. But with this girl I met, I've been talking to her for almost 2-3 weeks, she really wants to be a Macedonian women. I'm praying to Alexander the Great it's real right now. lol THANK YOU ALL! I will keep reading this thread as much as I can and respond overall in the chats. Once I leave the Army in a few months it'll be more juicier to get back into my Macedonian roots again.
              Last edited by mac4life2; 01-07-2018, 11:24 PM.

Comment

• vicsinad
                • May 2011

And all I'm simply saying is that if the same question was posed by a Croatian, Italian, Indian, Englishman, etc regarding women belonging to their own ethnicity, you would likely get similar responses to the ones Macedonians come up with.

I think you would get varying answers depending on the ethnic group, from what I know about them. Not because Macedonians are special - but because the groups' cultures, mentalities, attitudes, and goals are sometimes different. So, some ethnic groups' experiences would be very similar; others, not as much.

First, some groups don't integrate or adapt into society as well as others -- whether it's intentional on their part or because of the forces of greater society. I grew up about 30 minutes from the largest Muslim Middle Eastern colony in the US, perhaps in the Western hemisphere. There's not nearly as much intermixing (dating or marriage) between them and "Americans" as there is between Macedonians and non-Macedonians. I have no doubt this has partly to do with others' perceptions about them, as well as their lack of willingness to integrate to the same extent as others.

Second, going along with that, the degree of differences (cultural, physical appearance) can strongly limit your options in general society. Macedonians have a generally easy time dating within the general American society because, well, they're more white than an Indian, Arab or Korean.

Third, the size of the colony also matters. Macedonians have a much smaller colony than the Chinese, for example, meaning that we're less likely to find a greater variation in partners (interests, personalities, etc.) among Macedonians than among Chinese, meaning that to find true love or someone with the best possible traits, you might have to expand outside your circle. Chinese people, however, have a greater pool to pick from, making going outside your ethnic group not as necessary or desirable.

Fourth, settlement patterns of the colony, also related to size: Macedonians don't have "neighborhoods" like Chinese, Italians, Jews, Koreans, Blacks, or even the Polish. This means that even for newer Macedonians coming to the States, they don't have the option of living on a block where it's all Macedonians. They may move to a town with a lot of Macedonians, but it's not the same as where everyone on your street is Macedonian. Makes the dynamics different.

Fifth, the status of women and men (girls and boys) are different in those cultures, which has an impact on dating. For example, some Albanians (even Catholics) still have arranged marriages in the States, and Albanian girls are more sheltered than Macedonian girls. Their men treat them worse and their expectations of their role in society/the household is different. So, there are differences with how women are treated, perceived, and expected to act that alter the results for different ethnic groups.

But I don't have as much experience with those other cultures as my own, so I can't give a first-hand experience answer to how the dating scene works within them. But my answer to your question is: maybe, maybe not; or, it depends on the group and their location.
                Last edited by vicsinad; 01-08-2018, 06:52 AM.

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
                  • Oct 2011

No worries Vic, the only thing I’ll add is to remember when a Macedonian dates someone outside their culture, that someone is dating outside their culture as well
                  “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• vicsinad
                    • May 2011

No worries Vic, the only thing I’ll add is to remember when a Macedonian dates someone outside their culture, that someone is dating outside their culture as well
                    Sure. But I'd add that the impact on the Macedonian-American community of 1,000 Macedonians dating outside their culture is not the same as the impact on the Italian-American community of 1,000 Italians dating outside their culture. The smaller your community is to begin with, the more of an effect dating outside your community has on the "dating options" left remaining in your own community.

Comment

• Tomche Makedonche
                      • Oct 2011

The smaller the community, there will be less dating options you have within that community period.

In light of that, I don’t see how Macedonians are unique in this way particularly when compared to similar sized communities. I’d also opine that the ratio of people dating outside their culture would still be pretty similar when compared with larger communities depending on how long their settlements have been established. However admittedly the basis of my opinion is mostly derived from my experience in Australia as opposed to your American experience, so it would be ignorant to discount that as a factor for our difference in views, although I would still personally be inclined to think that the difference has more to do with perception than anything else

In the end marrying another Macedonian does not necessarily guarantee the promotion of our culture, in fact I’ve seen our culture promoted more within some mixed marriages then marriages where the ancestry of both partners are Macedonian
                      “There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part, you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus and you’ve got to make it stop, and you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” - Mario Savio

Comment

• vicsinad
                        • May 2011

In the end marrying another Macedonian does not necessarily guarantee the promotion of our culture, in fact I’ve seen our culture promoted more within some mixed marriages then marriages where the ancestry of both partners are Macedonian
                        Absolutely agree.

Comment

• Risto the Great
                          • Sep 2008

Women are more likely to suffer the 'winter blues' than men

A new study from the University of Glasgow in Scotland revealed that women are more likely to suffer from seasonal affective disorder (SAD) than men.

Women are greatly affected by the changes in the seasons making them more likely to suffer the 'winter blues' than men, a new study found.

Research shows that shorter days and colder temperatures trigger seasonal affective disorder (SAD) causing symptoms of low mood, irritability and fatigue.

Though symptoms were found to be more severe during the winter, the study also revealed that they are present in women year-round when the temperatures dip during the summer. Longer days in the summer were also found to make women more tired than men.

The findings offer insight for clinicians around the world into the different causes and experiences of depressive symptoms to better treat between women and men.

Symptoms of SAD often begin in the fall as the days get shorter, becoming more severe during December, January and February and improve in the spring and summer.

A study from the University of Glasgow in Scotland examined more than 150,000 middle aged adults.

The researchers then analyzed data by scoring 'total depressive symptoms', plus symptoms of low mood, tenseness and tiredness.

Associations between depressive symptoms, day length and average outdoor temperatures were also assessed.

The findings published in Journal of Affective Disorders show that women, but not men, experience seasonal changes in their mood across the year, including more depressive symptoms in winter.

There was a link between shorter and colder days and greater depressive symptoms in women that peaked in the winter.

Professor of Psychiatry Daniel Smith from the University of Glasgow's Institute of Health and Wellbeing said: 'Temperature was a significant predictor of low mood and anhedonia scores in women independent of day length and the other demographic/lifestyle confounders.'

These triggers were independent of social and lifestyle factors, such as smoking, drinking and physical activity.

Seasonal affective disorder is known as 'winter blues' because symptoms come and go in a seasonal pattern.

Those affected feel lethargic, have a persistent low mood, a loss of pleasure or interest in normal everyday activities known as anhedonia, irritability and feelings of despair, guilt and worthlessness.

An estimated 10 million Americans suffer from SAD.

As days lengthened women also reported feeling more tired than men, yet those symptoms were not as severe as when the temperature was lower.

'Together these findings suggest that temperature may have a greater influence on seasonal variation in mood than day length, although it remains possible that shared variance between both day length and temperature contributes to fluctuations in depressive symptoms,' Smith said.

The findings confirmed previous studies that linked a higher rate of depression with seasonal pattern among women.

Previous research examined why women are more likely to be admitted for depression over winter than men, especially the further north they lived.

Professor Smith said: 'Consistent with the role of temperature, an earlier study found that colder temperatures within summer were associated with increased prescriptions of antidepressant medication in Sweden.'

He added: 'We don't yet fully understand why this should be the case, but it was interesting that the changes were independent of social and lifestyle factors, perhaps suggesting a sex-specific biological mechanism.'

Researchers said that further studies will be required to find exactly why the seasons affect women more than men.

Professor Smith said that these findings have important implications for the provision of healthcare around the world.

'Subclinical depressive symptoms are associated with increased risk of developing major depression and with reduced wellbeing, but are often under-recognized and untreated.'

'Clinicians should be more aware of these differences in the experience of depressive symptoms between women and men across the seasons in order to facilitate their recognition and appropriate treatment,' he said.
                          Oh no. Men are different from women.

Perhaps look for a woman in summer (but don't wait until the end of the day).
                          Risto the Great

Comment

• Vangelovski
                            • Sep 2008

Men and women are different, no matter how much neo-Marxists wish they weren't or wish that you could switch from one to the other based on how you feel. The latest research has identified up to 6,500 genetic differences. This particular article has been written by a progressive journalist, reporting on the recent study. She laments the fact that her ideological positions have clearly been shat on by genetic reality, but she should not be surprised - after all, her worldview is based on fantasy, not reality.

Throughout our bodies, thousands of genes act differently in men and women

November 1, 2017

Throughout our bodies, thousands of genes act differently in men and women
                            In skin, muscle, fat and more tissues, genes behave differently in men and women.

Most of us are familiar with the genetic differences between men and women.

Men have X and Y sex chromosomes, and women have two X chromosomes. We know that genes on these chromosomes may act differently in men and women.

But a recent paper claims that beyond just genes on X and Y, a full third of our genome is behaving very differently in men and women.

These new data pose challenges for science, medicine and maybe even gender equity.

The human genome

Men and women have practically the same set of about 20,000 genes. The only physical difference in their genetic make up is in the sex chromosomes. Only males have a Y chromosome. Although the X chromosome is present in both sexes, there are two copies in females and only one in males.

The human Y contains only 27 genes. One of these is the sex-determining region Y gene (SRY), which kick-starts the pathway that causes a ridge of cells in a 12 week-old embryo to develop into a testis.

Until recently, many believed that only the presence or absence of SRY distinguishes men and women.

Writing previously, I pointed out that there are 26 other genes on the Y chromosome, and perhaps another hundred or so genes on the X chromosome that are active in two doses in women and a single dose in men. I speculated that there may be a few hundred more genes directly affected by these X or Y genes, or by the hormones that they unleash.

This new paper suggests I underestimated by a huge margin.

Genes, proteins and tissues

Genes are parts of a long string of DNA, and composed of molecules that contain four different bases. The sequences of these bases encode the proteins of the body.

Our 20,000 genes make proteins that do a variety of jobs. Some make the fibres in skin or hair, some make muscles contract, and others carry the oxygen in blood. Many are enzymes that drive basic reactions of turning food into flesh and energy.

Genes work by making copies of themselves; the base sequence of DNA is copied into RNA molecules that engage with cell machinery to churn out protein. The more RNA a gene makes, the more protein will be produced.

We can now measure the number of RNA copies each gene makes. A really active gene may make thousands of copies, an inactive gene may make only a few, or none at all.

This epigenetic ("over the gene") regulation of gene activity allows specialisation of different body tissues. Your liver and your brain share the same genes, but express them differently; one subset of genes is active in the liver, and a different subset of genes is active in the brain.

Activity of genes in men and women

In their new paper, the authors Gershoni and Pietrokovsk looked at how active the same genes are in men and women. They measured the RNA produced by 18,670 genes in 53 different tissues (45 common to both sexes) in 544 adult post mortem donors (357 men and 187 women).

They found that about one third of these genes (more than 6,500) had very different activities in men and women. Some genes were active in men only or women only. Many genes were far more active in one sex or the other.

A few of these genes showed sex biased activity in every tissue of the body. More commonly, the difference was seen in one or a few tissues.

Most of these genes were not on sex chromosomes: only a few lay on the Y or the X.

How could a third of our genes be differently controlled in men and women?

We now understand that proteins work in extensive networks. Change the amount of one protein produced by one gene, and you change the amounts of all the proteins produced by many genes in a long chain of command.

We also know that hormones have powerful influences on gene activity. For instance, testosterone and estrogen dial up or down many genes in reproductive and body tissues.

Impact on physical features

The functions of sex biased genes makes some sense. Most affect the reproductive system, which we know to be very different in men and women. For instance, the new study shows that mammary glands have highest frequency of female-biased gene expression, and testis has the highest frequency of male-biased genes.

Other sex biased genes were involved with skin (particular hairiness), muscle, fat tissue and heart, which could relate to sex differences in body morphology and metabolism.

Confirming an earlier report, some sex biased genes were involved in brain function, reopening the debate about differences in male and female behaviour.

Impact on disease susceptibility

These new findings could explain why men and women are often differently susceptible to diseases, and suggests treatments need to be based on studies of both sexes.

We have long known that many diseases are far more common in men (e.g. Parkinsons) or in women (e.g. Multiple Sclerosis).

This study showed that some sex-biased genes were associated with diseases. For instance, a female-biased gene is implicated in cardiovascular homeostasis and osteoporosis, and a male-biased gene in high blood pressure.

The new study also showed a big difference in expression of a gene previously found to be important for drug metabolism, which could explain why men and women may respond quite differently.

The Organization for the Study of Sex Differences has campaigned to include women in clinical trials. These results should strengthen their hand.

Like it or not, evidence now shows that men and women differ genetically far more profoundly that we have previously recognised.

What do these new insights mean for our progress toward gender equity? A bad outcome could be appeals to return to outdated sexual stereotypes. A good outcome will be recognition of sex differences in medicine and treatment.
                            If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sins and restore their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

The Revolution was in the minds and hearts of the people; a change in their religious sentiments, of their duties and obligations...This radical change in the principles, opinions, sentiments, and affections of the people was the real American Revolution. John Adams

Comment

• Vangelovski
                              • Sep 2008

Here is an article reporting on the same study by a science magazine. They were not surprised about the genetic differences between men and women...probably because they understand that sex/gender (same thing) is based on genes, not feelings.

Comment

• Skolovranec
                                • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Karposh View Post
                                “Who decided that boys can't wear dresses?” My answer was God. I did not mention the church. The church is made up of men and women, who are all fallible.
                                The Bible was written by mortal men too.

On the topic of separating God and the Church, I don't remember Jesus Christ himself having anything to say about homos back in the day. I'm pretty sure he left that issue blank.

Also, marriage was somehow defined as between a man and a woman in 420 AD. More than four centuries after Jesus left the Earth. Was up until that point marriage between individuals of any gender combo? What made the church define it, and under what authority? Jesus being silent about it while avataring 'round Earth and long gone by then. Any thoughts?
                                Anti-EU Pro-Guns National-Libertarian Trekkie Minarchist
                                Anti-NATO Pro-United MK Agnostic Secularist Magick Occultist
                                Anti-UN Pro-Military Meritocratic Integrationist Altruistic Socio-Darwinist
                                Anti-Globalist Pro-Choice Intellectual Pirate Spiritual Vagabond

Comment

Working...
                                X